[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT:Musicians whose ego far outweighs their talent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 17

File: weezer121.jpg (42KB, 494x745px) Image search: [Google]
weezer121.jpg
42KB, 494x745px
ITT:Musicians whose ego far outweighs their talent
>>
Frank Zappa
Robert Fripp
>>
Chris Martin
>>
Danzig, Dave Mustiane.
>>
John Lennon
>>
axel ros
>>
why has kanye west not been said
>>
Billy Corgan
>>
File: kek.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>61635849
Paulfag detected
>>
>>61636177 (fag)
yokofag detected. Now repeat after me kids paul is to ono as grohl is cox
>>
>no Kanye

I'm disappoint /mu/
>>
Kanye (and nearly every rapper that has ever existed)
Lennon
The guy from Oasis
The guy from Sun Kil Moon
Axl Rose
>>
>>61636298
But Kanye has bigger talent than his ego though
>>
File: johnnyboy.gif (491KB, 471x353px) Image search: [Google]
johnnyboy.gif
491KB, 471x353px
>>61636239
>implying preferring john means preferring yoko too
What's it like, being autistic?
>>
>>61636330
No one had to see this post.
>>
>>61635550
Rivers is a decent musician, nothing extraordinary, but how does he have too much of an ego?
>>
>>61635550

Flaming Lips
>>
>>61636448
Yeah I wonder the same, is he known for his egotism or something?
>>
Noel Gallagher
>>
File: Wa3GOLKa.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Wa3GOLKa.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
Though calling her a "musician" is a stretch
>>
Adam Levine
Bono
>>
>>61636528
Agreed, with gusto
>>
>>61635722
Kanye
Frank Zappa
>>
>>61636347
I dont know you tell me :)
>>
>>61636316
>Mark Kozelek
disagree
>>
>>61636489
Not that I know of. He seems to pretend to be a douche but that's it.
>>
all of them
>>
>>61636474
Possibly Wayne but Steven and Michael have no ego.

Wayne is based anyway.
>>
>>61636316
If Mark is egotistic, he's at least earned it with a streak of high quality albums over the past two decades.
>>
>>61635588
Fripp must have a massive ego
>>
>>61637394
Oh boy you have no idea. Like, NO idea.
>>
>>61635965
His ego matches his talent exactly. Both are extremely high.
>>
I was at a Weezer show several years ago. I managed to score some backstage passes. The rest of the guys were super cool about meeting some fans and having a couple drinks, but Rivers didn't come back to meet fans or talk with the other band members. I didn't think much of it until I heard about a good number of other fans who experienced the same thing.
>>
noel gallagher
>>
>>61636448
>>61636489
I met Rivers once. I felt weird being taller than my hero. He was pretty shy, almost autistic in nature, which was probably what caused him to feel like a misfit and write Weezer's first two albums in the first place.

I think what OP meant was that Weezer died in 2005 and Rivers hasn't quit music because he thinks he still has something to write about. For example, on the last few albums there are songs about women and partys but he has been happily married with a kid for a while now, thus making him some kind of fake.
>>
>>61635550
Maynard james keen
Bono
Gene and paul (seriously fuck them, they both suck at their instruments, even though they've played for like 50 years. That's inexcusable man.)
Hell, most big classic rockstars
>>
Dave Grohl
>>
>>61635588
probably bait cause i cant fathom who would really believe this but if not there is literally not even enough ego in the world to match the unbridled talent that is frank zappa. he was a bit full of himself but i wouldnt go so far as to say his ego outweighed his ridiculous amount of talent.
not the same thing as just not liking him personally.
>>
>>61636448
with names like cuomo, zappa and fripp i'm guessing egotistical is a phrase which here means "a musician i dont like"
>>
>>61638122
Who cares if it's fake, honestly? What kind of person listens to a song and thinks "Oh, I must find out about the life of the person who wrote it to determine what it makes me feel inside when I hear it"?
It's a pretty boring world you want lyrics-wise if musicians are only allowed to write about their personal life.
>>
File: mc.jpg (6KB, 212x237px) Image search: [Google]
mc.jpg
6KB, 212x237px
>>61635550
>>
>>61638692
Besides being fake, comparing Weezer in 1994 to Cant Stop Partying ft. Lil Wayne should be pretty self explanatory as to why Weezer sold out. Then go check out their State Farm song on youtube, Everybody Get Dangerous featured in a Disney Ninja-Hamster movie, and when they covered Lady Gaga. Rivers said in a 90's interview that he didn't want any of his music used for corporate crap, his example was McDonalds at the time. Rivers even apologizes for being such a cunt in Back to the Shack.

>What kind of person listens to a song and thinks "Oh, I must find out about the life of the person who wrote it to determine what it makes me feel inside when I hear it"?

If you actually believe this, I feel sorry for you. It's not like I don't appropriate a catchy beat no matter who sings it or what it's about, but the empathy you feel when someone is singing about the same struggle you're going through is one of the most powerful feelings ever. There are thousands of music biographies, do you even think before you speak?
>>
>>61637853
But he's also one of the most talented guitarists of all time so it's justified.
>>
>>61638956
>He thinks other musicians are being truthful to him because they make him feel fuzzy inside

I love how authenticity-fags think they have a built in lie detector.
>>
>>61638956
>Sold out
Yeah, okay, I'm done here. Have fun repeating marketing slogans and pre-made thoughts that tell you how independent and resistant to marketing you are. I'm just going to listen to music which, y'know, I find good music -which is not Weezer, by the way, they're universally shit- and not worry about what their manager told them to tell me to think about them in mass media interviews made to sell me a product handled my multinational corporations.
>>
>>61638822
I don't get it.
>>
>>61638956
You're wasting your time trying to enlighten them, brother.
>>
>>61635963
Because his ego is a publicity stunt
>>
>>61639178
I'M FUCKING TIRED
>>
>>61639148
Dude you can't even gather your thoughts, nothing you said makes sense. I bet your underage. Go back to /b/.
>>
>>61635588
>Frank Zappa
No
>Robert Fripp
No

>>61635823
>Danzig
Yes
>Mustaine
No

>>61635849
Nice meme

>>61635854
Possible

>>61635965
No

>>61636520
>>61638046
No

>>61636552
Yes

>>61636671
>Kanye
YES

>>61638145
>Maynard james keen
Possible
>Bono
Yes
>Gene and paul
Yes

>>61638202
No
>>
>>61639455
No to corgan and mustaine. Are you fucking autistic? Mustaine might not be a violent douchebag now that he's all Christian and shit but he's still a self-righteous fuckwit.
>>
>>61635823
Danzig is egotistical as fuck but I can't hate him.
>>
>>
>>61639696
Danzig looks and acts exactly like my first guitar teacher. So I hate him.
>>
>>61638956
Do you really listen to music because "OH MY GOD SOMEONE ELSE FEELS LIKE OMG I'M NOT ALONE"? How old are you?
>>
>>61639686
We are talking talent here, not their musical output in the current day. Sure they're old and whiny these days but they both put out incredible albums. Siamese Dream is literally one of the greatest albums of all time. It's a mad genius masterpiece. Rust in Peace is arguably the best metal album ever.
>>
>>61639986
DESPITE ALL MY RAGE

motherfucker has no talent
>>
>>61639980
Nope, it just makes some music more enjoyable. Probably stemmed from my inspiration as a musician.. When the singer feels what he sings about, it's what makes them popular, not how catchy they are. Look at Charles Bradley or even Adele for instance.
>>
>>61639761
I'VE GOT SOMETHING TO SAY
YOU NEED TO LEARN A MAJOR TODAY
>>
>>61640324
It's pretty presumptuous of you to assume that you can tell when people feel things. Humans are pretty good at lying, as a general rule, particularly entertainers. It's kind of their job. Like, Cuomo, he's obviously being very earnest about his shitty music, guy was into metal and quiet riot. He likes the dumb party music he makes, he's honest, but it's still shit.
>>
>>61640171
He's a pretty good guitar player, so he must have some talent.
>>
>>61640171
>Billy Corgan
>No talent
Ok.
>>
>>61638822
edgy
>>
>>61638122
Adults go to parties, did you ever watch Friends?
>>
>>61640380
Artists don't just sit down and write a song like Pink Triangle or Say It Ain't So because they want to entertain. Many of the greatest hits of all time across the board are popular because of genuine feeling people hear, not because some jackass in the music industry is programming a catchy beat and manipulating lyrics with knowledge he learned in college.
>It's pretty presumptuous of you to assume that you can tell when people feel things
Who the fuck doesn't feel something when you watch an artist cry in concert because he feels it so much? That's exactly what makes Charles Bradley so popular... You think I don't understand when I hear the shrill in someones voice or see them scream about an abusive relationship with their step father? Fuck you dude.
>>
>>61640545
So you can tell because you can tell, and you can tell because you like it. And you like it because it's honest, but you can tell it's honest because you like it. Makes sense.
>>
>>61637853
What? I'd love some sort of info on Fripp having a huge ego. He doesn't seem that way at all to me.
>>
File: rivers kids.jpg (130KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
rivers kids.jpg
130KB, 600x888px
>>61640456
"Monday to Sunday I hit all the clubs
And everybody know me when I pull up
I got the real big posse with me, yeah I'm deep
And if you looking for me I'm in VIP"
>>
How has literally nobody said Billie Joe Armstrong?
>>
>>61640580
Not him but I can respect artists who attempt to communicate emotions when I don't like them personally. GSYBE is boring as fuck but i don't doubt they try, and that other teenagers are "moved" by it.

If you haven't realized all art is rooted in emotion somehow, then you should give up listening right now
>>
>>61640669
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying he's a bit of a hypocrite to believe he wields the power to see who is and who isn't telling the truth at all times. Dunning-Krueger and whatnot. As if these people don't have manager teams and marketing guys behind them crafting an image so that everything *looks* authentic.
>>
>>61640580
At the end of the day, the music industry is just a business, but many artists when they get started are trying to just express themselves, not be entertainers.

Compare the lyrics Last Friday Night to Charles Bradley crying and singing Lovin' You, Baby. Then tell me which one is more honest to you.
>>
>>61640691
I agree, but some simple research on the art should explain it. Since that anon was tlakign about Pinkerton, it's quite obvious Rivers was being genuine based on how the album even came to be, and how he distanced himself from it after the album bombed.
>>
>>61635965
Agreed
>>
>>61639980
>>61639021
>>61639148
Not that overly pretentious guy but he does have a point, I cant really pinpoint it myself but theres something about authenticity. Pinkerton/ Blue Album are very inspired releases with some incredibly hard hitting lyrics and general emotion that just wouldn't be there if Rivers hadn't experienced what he sang about. You'll find that these newer songs about partying and girls aren't as good because they lack the genuine feelings behind them.
>>
>>61640696
But that's the matter, innit? Which is is more honest to me. Honesty ain't a thing that's up for debate, yet I can't know. People can fake crying, fucking hell, people can fake everything. So I can only go for what I "feel" but what I feel is not necessarily what's real, and I wouldn't dream of presenting it as fact.
>>
>>61640887
I don't think you understand how it works.

Even these created pop stars who have songs written for them, they attempt to make some sort of emotional connection to the song (even though they didn't write it themselves). That's how they get a good performance out if it: they themselves are truly believing or connecting to what they are singing. Their target demographic interprets this performance as authenticity--and it kind of is, since the performer tapped into their own emotional attachment to the song in order to get a good performance. .
>>
>>61640981
So again "It's good, and it makes me feel, thefore I am honest. I am impervious to being fooled. I could never be charmed by a liar".
Those are some really pretty lies to tell yourself, but if you stop thinking with your heart and just think you'd realise that isn't true. You're not a liar detector, and your emotions are not invulnerable to deceit. No one's are. Just because someone makes YOU feel well with their work doesn't mean they give a damn. "For me it was tuesday"
>>
>>61641061
>I am impervious to being fooled. I could never be charmed by a liar".
Why are you assuming you are being fooled?
>>
>>61641061
This is like saying one cannot determine if it's day or night outside because our eyes are not lie detectors and are vulnerable to optical illusions. You're like literally fucking retarded.
>>
>>61641134
Except the sun doesn't make it a routine to hide all the time.
There's not an entire industry out of disguising the sun as the moon.
Day and night come and go on a timer. If yo looked outside during and eclipse you wouldn't be able to tell what time of day it is just by looking at the lighting, you'd have to look directly at the sun and CONFIRM IT'S OUT THERE. Just like you can't tell someone is feeling something because "yeah, sounds about right". And unlike eclipses, people pretending happens all the time. But you can just tell, you are magically able to look at the light outside and tell if it's an eclipse, or if the sun is setting, or if it's dawn without confirming it from the source.

Believe that, if you want. Sure.
>>
>>61639697
Second. Squire was a jerk, but a great bassist.
>>
m a c d e m a r c o
>>
File: grammy_grohl_gallery__469x400.jpg (32KB, 469x400px) Image search: [Google]
grammy_grohl_gallery__469x400.jpg
32KB, 469x400px
>>
>>61641461
What ego? He seems pretty humble.
>>
>>
>>61641339
>Except the sun doesn't make it a routine to hide all the time.
What is night time?
>There's not an entire industry out of disguising the sun as the moon.
What is night life?
>>
>>
>>61641339
>There's not an entire industry out of disguising the sun as the moon.
Examples?
>>
File: trent.jpg (104KB, 608x450px) Image search: [Google]
trent.jpg
104KB, 608x450px
>>
>>61639980
I never understood the trope of relating to musicians and having lyrics speak to you when I was younger, but now that I've gotten older I find that kind of thing comforting.
>>
File: bowie_mandalay_3229845c.jpg (83KB, 460x287px) Image search: [Google]
bowie_mandalay_3229845c.jpg
83KB, 460x287px
>>
>>61639455
Noel Gallagher is a talentless prick.
>>
Dave Grohl
Kevin Shields
Morrissey
Bono
Prince
>>
File: john.jpg (142KB, 1401x788px) Image search: [Google]
john.jpg
142KB, 1401x788px
No John Mayer yet? Really?
>>
>>61643732
>Morrissey
Not really
>>
>>61643791
i concur
>>
porter robinson
skrillex
diplo
tiesto
etc
>>
File: blackkeys.jpg (135KB, 901x600px) Image search: [Google]
blackkeys.jpg
135KB, 901x600px
>>
>>61641493
Nga plz
>>
>>61642019
nah dude is mad talented and his ego isn't bad at all
>>
https://twitter.com/DavidBowieReal
HOLY SHIT ITS ON TWITTER TOO
>>
>>61644198
david bowie confirmed just fine
>>
File: jack white man.jpg (6KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
jack white man.jpg
6KB, 200x252px
>>61643967
This is true
>>
>>61635550
well he was in Nirvana
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.