[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck is this not more widely regarded and praised? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4

How the fuck is this not more widely regarded and praised? I mean it's a pretty popular album around here especially but it's completely unique and incredibly good. It's the ONLY album that has elicited the emotional response which it does. It creates a completely unique and wonder-filled atmosphere of which I can't find an equal. The beauty of this album is unparalleled. I would go as far as to say this is the greatest atmospheric rock album of all time. If you can prove me wrong, do it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0B7Z3JERdk
>>
I kinda hated this album both times I listened to it
>>
>>61603231
Never heard of it
>>
great album
>>
>>61603231
its literally the "its good, but not great" of the slowcore genre

listen to more music
>>
>>61603231
It's just some guy mumbling over mediocre space rock tbqh
>>
>>61603361
This. Both Codeine albums kick its ass.
>>
>>61603247
xd
>>61603335
darn
>>61603354
listen its amazing
>>61603360
i agree
>>61603361
ive listened to shit like RHP and low and galaxie 500 and theyre all so much worse. only other good slowcore album i've heard was frigid stars
>>61603363
its not mediocre its beautiful
>>
>>61603381
>ive listened to shit like RHP and low and galaxie 500 and theyre all so much worse. only other good slowcore album i've heard was frigid stars
first of all you have shit taste for thinking those are "much worse" than duster. second of all they're not even comparable to duster despite being slowcore.
>the only other good slowcore album i've heard was frigid stars
you are the reason /mu/ went to shit. you have turned /mu/ into a bigger shit hole than memers and shitposters. there is nothing more destructive than an ignorant idiot parroting his opinion as if its fact despite not even having listened to 5% of the genre. this is the reason why the phrase "lurk more" exists.
>>
there are much better slowcore albums out there

stratosphere is okay, but not particularly memorable. even fucking Low released better albums
>>
>>61603381
>RHP
>not god's gift to depressed loners
>low
>not the most delicately beautiful music of all time
>>
>>61603432
okay maybe that's not the only other good slowcore album i enjoyed "Love,Claire" s/t
and down colorful hill is actually awful idek how you can say otherwise
>>61603490
its mediocre
>>
>>61603542
>stratosphere is incredible
>RHP is mediocre
go back to reddit
>>
>>61603483
what slowcore albums are genuinely better i've listened to like 20 others (lots i know) and none of them have produced nearly as much atmosphere
>>
>>61603604
because u have no taste buddy
>>
>>61603432
I'm going to agree with this anon. Listen to more slowcore. I reccomend Gravenhurst, Karate, Arab Strap and Low (how the fuck haven't you hear them yet?). Also listen to Duster's discography, their Rarities compilation is really good.
>>
>stratosphere is better than the best works of Codeine, Low, or Red House Painters
lmao
>>
>>61603625
i've listened to Low but thanks for the recs
>>61603642
i genuinely believe this. frigid stars is genuinely very good but both Low and RHP are almost too depressed and focused on sad vocal melodies and shit. stratosphere is sad music but with this weird sense of wonder and its just an amazing experience
>>
>>61603747
wow i have never hated a person this much after reading one comment
>>
>>61603747
calling slowcore "too depressed" is, kind of, missing the point of a genre that is at it's core just very slow and depressed indie rock
>>
>>61603772
reasonable
>>61603792
i understand what you're saying but i was just explaining why i enjoy stratosphere more than others
>>
>>61603747
you should stop listening to music
>>
>>61603858
thanks for the rec
>>
File: jason.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
jason.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>61603231
>this is the greatest atmospheric rock album of all time

If OP had heard these Helvetia tracks he might reconsider

https://mega.nz/#!U49gjbaL!fVBlC230jmawmQySC-UYTzdWiENskrnyTSGZulppLvg

Here's some prime Helvetia (not in the zip, those are better!) to get you intrigued.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUASSof58GY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yM7sKZDnEU

Also, here are some "atmospheric rock" albums I believe can rival Stratosphere (which is still great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwqG5-adhI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG_QyKgT_s8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIWNbrHFNz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW68H-K93Sc
>>
>>61604107
thank you for not being hostile and i appreciate all of your recs

i have the unreleased helvetia if thats that mega link
>>
thanks man i love this album but now i can't ever say so on /mu/ again
>>
>>61604142
im so sorry for what i've done i did not expect all of this hatred
>>
File: breasts.jpg (6KB, 300x271px) Image search: [Google]
breasts.jpg
6KB, 300x271px
>>61604128
Yeah, that's what those are. I was confident you hadn't heard them.

Maybe try this from Clay if you haven't already. It's not quite at that level, but still pretty good.

I also have links for Dweller on the Threshold and some unreleased Eiafuawn tracks if you want them.

fotosputik is great for more of a kraut/space vibe with no vocals.
>>
>>61604262
youre the best thank you for this
>>
>>61604142
It's okay just include RHP with it in your charts. Well be okay fellow stratosphere fan
>>
i don't see what people see in Stratosphere, it's such a snorefest.

The first track off of Frigid Stars is more interesting than this fucking album.
>>
>>61604277
no problem

I hate the fact that Duster is lumped in with slowcore. I like your "atmospheric rock" tag a little bit better just because RHP, Low, and Codeine have a completely different aesthetic and emotional evocation. Those bands are about feeling sad and lonely. Duster is about feeling DISCONNECTED. I imagine when you are on heroin or other opiates, you feel very far away from everything. That isn't always sad. It's fucked up, but it's not really sad. That's what I feel when I listen to this stuff.
>>
>>61604471
yeah this is exactly what i mean. the musical similarities between duster and slowcore bands exist but the emotions they create are completely different. im glad someone understands
>>
>>61603231
I'm listening to this right now for the first time. It is a fucking masterpiece.
>>
stratosphere is GOAT u fkn nerds

>muh helvetia
>listen to more albums :-))))))
>muh codeine
>muh low
>muh RHP
>>
>>61604107
I've never heard anything by Helvetia. What are your recommendations?
>>
>>61604646
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhJr4gKPZg
listen to the full album
>>
I love duster, both their albums are some of my favorites but most red house painters albums are better than stratosphere
>>
>>61604646
If you're a Duster fanatic, start with my mega link or the Gladness compilation.

Otherwise start with The Clever North Wind. Groundbreaking. More experimental stylistically than anything by Duster or most of what they did after. And they really make it work.

They're still around and have changed a lot over the years. Now their style is more bright and noodly than dark and woozy. Still really nice though. My favorite is actually Junk Shop, mostly for the bonus tracks.
>>
>>61604672
>>61604672
Don't pretend you're me. That album is one of my least favorites. Still good. Just saying.

Someone's DLing Gladness from me on slsk right now.
>>
>>61604834
pretty sure that's me
>>
>>61604543
Don't reply to my posts ever again, dipshit.
>>
>>61604756
I'll start with the Clever North Wind. Thanks for the recs.
>>
>>61604885
Enjoy. Sorry, its so slow :)

...and Breasts
holy shit am I the only one who has this shit?
>>
i like helvetia too but its really different than duster
>>
>>61604968
no. all that shit used to be available for free on static cults site back when they cared
>>
>>61604999
>>61604999
Do you know what happened with releasing the ninth song off Hier Kommt Der Schwartze Mond? Did Clay ever just put a link up on Stereobird?
>>
one of the 13 10/10 ratings I've given on rym and I have like 3000 albums in my foobar.
>>
>>61603432
Not even him but I seriously don't know how anyone likes Galaxie 500, it's soooooo fuuuucking boooorrrrring it's like the most generic unexciting pile of shit band I've ever heard in my entire life
>>
>>61603542
>down colourful hill
>awful

welp
>>
A friend of mine once referred to Mojave 3's "Ask Me Tomorrow" as slowcore. What do you guys think?
>>
>>61605421
>>61605421
Sure.

Is there any slowcore that actually lives up to it's name? Like something slower than Codeine and early Low. I'm talking glacial. Like stoner sludge metal without the distortion and heavy-ness.
>>
>>61605354
>it's soooooo fuuuucking boooorrrrring
>its like
>like
it's not a surprise you think that way
>>
>>61604107
Do you have a mega link to the gladness? Would be appreciated.
>>
File: hey you.gif (391KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
hey you.gif
391KB, 400x225px
>>61605369
>>61603542
i don't know how you can like codeine and duster and think down colorful hill is "awful"
>>
I fucking love this album
>>
>>61604592
Sorry, I meant to say Down Colourful Hill, not this piece of shit Stratosphere
>>
Duster are a boring version of early Modest Mouse
>>
>>61608486
You're thinking of Red Stars Theory. Easy mistake.
>>
>>61608270
>>61608486
>>61605369
>>61604910
>>61604363
>>61604316
>>61603772
>>61603379

you band is shit. stop bringing it whenever Duster is mentioned. you band music is just a poor man's Scorpions. stop posting
>>
>>61606159
le meme
>>
>>61610218
Thank you angry anonymous poster, you have convinced me to stop listening to music you don't like
>>
what do you think of contemporary movement? i think stratosphere had better songs but contemporary movement feels more like an album to me.
>>
i feel duster's getting compared to bands that arent all that related feelingwise
i love RHP a ton, but i never connect the two in the same feeling
most other slowcore is grim and somewhat melodramatic, where duster is mellow and instead of being driven by heavy sadness, it seems driven by a feeling of disappointment
i think people going into to expecting it to try to imitate what other slowcore artists usually do are the ones who kind of miss the point of it.
>>
>>61610381
I remember feeling the very measured robotic way the instruments--especially the drums--were played. It felt very angry and anguished. It felt very tight almost claustrophobic. There was a feeling of bitterness. of non-resolution.
>>
>>61610439
Maybe you should read the thread.>>61604471
before posting.
>>
>>61610381
I like it much more than Stratosphere, but clearly I'm in the minority.

Earth Moon Transit is GOAT as fuck though, top tier daydreaming-about-performing-it-in-front-of-an-adoring-crowd-core
>>
>>61610381
the better album imo
>>
>>61603381
listen to bedhead my man
>>
>>61610627
That's actually an extremely apt description, and I can see where you're coming from. Listening back to it now there's a certain degree of non-human-ness in it.
>>
>>61611122
Thanks man. I've been hearing those songs for a long time. I don't have a chance to talk to people about it.

I mentioned it to Jason at a Helvetia show. He told me there were strict rules he had to follow on the drums while in Duster, but he didn't go into what those were.
>>
>>61611320
That's strange. Here I thought all the guys in Duster were the most laid back, not-giving-a-fuck people.
>>
>>61611634
I know Jason doesn't fuck around. He records everything himself in his own studio. When they go on tour, he's the guitar tech for Built to Spill.
>>
Why would you want to listen to slowed down indie rock. It's like post-rock that decided not to be 'post' but still to be just as boring.
>>
>>61612188
Post-rock isn't boring, it's atmospheric.
>>
>>61610218
>you band music is just a poor man's Scorpions
Confirmed for never having heard RHP nor Sorpions
>>
>>61612188
Maybe because you haven't heard Duster and you definitely haven't read the thread.
See
>>61610439
and
>>61604471

but keep bumpin those epic anco jams, brah.
>>
>>61603247
This is amazing, and this is coming from a guy who likes Duster
>>
>>61612051
Yeah, and the bassist.
I brought all of my Duster stuff to a BTS/Helvetia concert and didn't even get the chance to talk to Jason about Duster. Was bummed.
>>
>>61603381
What does RHP stand for?
>>
>>61615796
Red House Painters
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.