[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currently going through Bowie's discography in order, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

File: Station_to_Station_cover.jpg (69KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Station_to_Station_cover.jpg
69KB, 300x300px
Currently going through Bowie's discography in order, and I like a lot of it, but holy fucking shit this is easily the worst album of his I've heard so far. How the fuck did the same guy who made Aladdin Sane and Space Oddity make this pile of shit? I don't even want to keep listening to this guy.
>>
Because he's on drugs.
>>
>>61597775
If you've been listening chronologically, this should be a major improvement over Young Americans. And yeah it's a change of style but so are all his albums after YA. He won't go back to glam rock after Diamond Dogs.
>>
LMAO, I think it's his best album.
>>
kid, S2S is great. probably my second favorite behind Low. do you like that album or Heroes?
>>
>>61597775
But that's his best album.
>>
>>61597775
Explain why you think it's bad or else I'm disregarding this thread as bait
>>
File: opinion which.jpg (20KB, 474x750px) Image search: [Google]
opinion which.jpg
20KB, 474x750px
>>
>>61597808
I thought Young Americans was a lot better. But I'm glad the glam rock is over, I hated Diamond Dogs, Pin Ups, and the Man Who Sold the World. Aladdin Sane was great though, and Ziggy had its moments as well.
>>61597834
I dunno yet. I think they're next up in the queue. What should I expect?
>>61597824
>>61597836
>>61597840
I must admit I'm in probably a small minority of Bowie listeners that really liked Young Americans and Space Oddity. I think he's got great chops on those records but the singing is damn near awful on this one. I felt nothing interesting here. Maybe I'm too much of a poptimist but I didn't find anything that moved me in the whole thing.
>>
>>61597875
did it make you feel like a demon?
>>
>>61597891
I fucking hate you.
>>
>>61597891
Driving from station to station?
>>
Thin white duke Bowie is pretty hit or miss. No one could tell him what to do back then.
>>
>>61597941
THE RETURN OF THE THIN WHITE DUKE
>>
I probably thought the same when I heard the albums for the very first time. I used to prefer earlier Bowie, but now I think that Station to Station and the Berlin trilogy are the greatest Bowie.
>>
>>61597875
if you like Young Americans how in the hell you don't like station to station ? Station to Station is literally a more condensed version of Young Americans you fuck.
>>
You really need to go in clean when it comes to Bowie. The blues rock, glam, wanna be Bob Dylan shit, then the later cocaine fueled shit. I like to listen to all the albums, and genuinely like the song i like. Its all about listening, loving, and putting up with his bullshit. He gets it together later, sort of. I mean, you could be listening to AC/DC right and having a gay ol' time.
>>
>>61597957
Seems like it. I've heard great things about the other albums in that era so my judgment shall be spared for now.
>>61597970
Pretty hyped for the Berlin trilogy based on the responses in this thread. I really, really hope it isn't just more S2S though.
>>61597997
Is this a joke? YA was way more pop-focused, it had great backing vocals and the instrumentation had great melody. Everything in S2S drags - his voice, the compositions, the pacing of the tracks, everything. The title track was the only one I genuinely enjoyed, I thought the rest were boring and had some terribad singing. They're completely different in energy and tone. YA sounds like an album from the mid-80s and it's from '75.
>>61598000
Hit and miss I don't mind, and I don't know why I'm making a huge deal out of this. This was just supposed to be one of his best efforts and I walked away feeling cheated.
>>
>>61597834
OP here again, Low is blowing my mind as we speak.
>>
Station to Station is just a jam friend, it's great to dance to, and it's almost Krautrock with the amount of repetition and groove. I love the album, I think it's an inspired work.
It's good that you're enjoying Low though, I think Station will grow on you.

I maintain that the title track of s2s is his best song
>>
>>61598479
i could hear this influence on part of the title track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5SyBIoMwsM
>>
>>61597875
>Word on a WIng
>Awful singing
GET THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>61598536
This anon is my soul mate. Word on a Wing is fucking euphoric.
>>
>>61598569
IN THIS AGE OF GRAND ILLUSION

GOAT lyrics
>>
>>61598581
AND I'M TRYING HARD TO FIT AMONG YOUR SCHEME OF THINGS
>>
>>61598569
SWEEEET THIIIING, YOU'RE BOOORN ONCE AGAIN FOORR MEEEE
>>
You think that's bad? Wait until everything from Never Let Me Down to Outside. You're in for nearly an entire decade of some bad Bowie.

For the record Station to Station is a masterpiece and I have no clue how you dislike it as a fellow Young Americans fan, Stay, TVC15, and Golden Years quite literally sound like they were intentionally cut from YA in order to fill a new album.
>>
>>61598608
BOYS, BOYS, IT'S A SWEET THING

wait
>>
>>61598619
>OH T V C ONE FIVE
>Deep rumbling note
>sparkling piano
>>
>>61598608
LOOOORD I KNEEL AND OFFER YOU, MY WOOOORD ON A WING
>>
>>61598100
Well there's lots of shit going on on the album... Best track? Worst track?
>>
>>61598100
>I thought the rest were boring and had some terribad singing

Staiton to station has Bowie's best singing tho. And it was the most easy listen out of his discography for me (excluding obvioulsy shit albums)
Plus, how come you didnt like Diamond Dogs oposed to YA? Diamond dogs had like 2 glam songs and the rest was Young Americans style soul.
>>
>>61599015
Wild is the Wind is without a doubt the best singing he's done in his career.
>>
station to station is a pleb test

second best album behind scary monsters
>>
>>61598479
>krautrock
>dance
>groove
pick one sempai
>>
>>61599213
But Krautrock and dance and groove are synonymous...
>>
>>61597775
word on a wing is GOAT
golden years is GOAT
station to station is GOAT
>>
>>61598479
It's not the side-effects of the cocaine
>>
>>61599559
ITS TOO LATE
>>
>>61599605
ONCE THERE WERE MOUNTAINS ON MOUNTAINS
>>
>>61599605
TO BE LATE AGAIN
>>
>>61599605
>>61599621
THE EUROPEAN PATTERN IS HERE
>>
>>61599672
CANNON. IT'S CANNON.
>>
>>61598639
REEEEADY TO SHAPE THE SCHEME OF THINGS
>>
but station to station is a really good album!
>>
>>61597775
I really, really like the title track in station to station but the rest is just not very good.
>>
>>61599878
Awful opinion.
>>
"Heroes" is his best, followed by S2S.
>>
>>61599804
CANON. IT'S CANON
>>
>>61600381
All the lyric sites I've found say cannnon
>>
>>61600418
Your lyric sites are wrong:
http://www.davidbowie.com/album/station-station

>tfw young people no longer own albums in physical form so they don't have the lyrics
>>
>>61600418
its canon, anon
>>
File: Scary-Monsters-And-Super-Creeps.jpg (89KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
Scary-Monsters-And-Super-Creeps.jpg
89KB, 800x400px
Nice mid-period Bowie thread lads, mind if Bowie's best album pops in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRz1tOAa73A
>>
Does anyone else think hunky dory is kind of overrated? Changes and life on mars are Top tier bowie but it sounds like half the album is filler.
>>
>>61602028

Absolutely. Some great individual moments but on the whole it's just prep for Ziggy Stardust
>>
>>61601999
My favourite album and favourite track of his.
>>
>>61597775
If you're listening to his albums for the first time and you're choosing to just listen to them all in a row, then you are going about this in the wrong way.

I'd stick to the Bowie "eras" that you like and then move on to other albums of his when you feel comfortable.

Also, S2S is the kind of the album that requires multiple listens to really click with you. It's a fantastic album, but you will need to spend some time with it before it reveals its true greatness.
>>
>>61598100
try listening to S2S multiple times, with an open mind (very important)
you will soon realise that you actually love it
that's what happened with me
>>
>>61602028
No. Oh you pretty things, queen bitch, and bewlay brothers all rank up there with the songs you mentioned at the top of Bowie pantheon. The rest of the songs are also very enjoyable, imo.
>>
I sure do love when someone listens to an album a single time and feels the need to report their findings.
>>
>>61602672
>>61602028
don't forget Quicksand you fuckers. it's the best song on the album
>>
God Tier Bowie Albums: Man who sold the world, Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Earthling, Blackstar,
Honorable Mention: Hunky Dory
everything else is good too though
>>
It's Bowie slammed out of his face on cocaine and other substances, to the point where he can't even remember recording the album. What's not to love? Top five Bowie albums easily.
>>
That, Low, and Ziggy are the only albums of his I can listen to repeatedly
>>
>>61597875

I agree that Young Americans is one of his best. But I'm also a bigger fan of Station To Station. Wild Is The Wind might contain his best vocals ever.

I commend you for jumping in and listening to his albums chronologically. Most fools just jump on low and call it a day.
>>
that's his best album you giant pleb
>>
>>61599672
>EUROPEAN PATTERN

>Station To Station is all about Bowie being depressed before his new curtains arrive.

>They arrive.

>They are fabulous.
>>
>>61597775
This is his best album you fucking dingus.
>>
File: ecstatic jesus.jpg (108KB, 953x535px) Image search: [Google]
ecstatic jesus.jpg
108KB, 953x535px
>mfw I realise Lodger is his best album
>>
>>61602628

Chronologically is the patrician way of listening to Bowie's Evolution.

[spoiler]you pleb[/spoiler]
>>
>>61603874
Yeah that looks like a stinky Lodger fan m8
>>
File: Blackstarr.jpg (240KB, 783x432px) Image search: [Google]
Blackstarr.jpg
240KB, 783x432px
>>61597775
>>
>>61604358
the madman did it again
>>
If you think the transition from YA to S2S is bad, wait til you get to Lodger. That album caught me out pretty bad the first time I heard it.

That said, Lodger is a good album in its own right but I can still never shake the feeling that Heroes was an album of development, meant to be expanded on in later releases.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.