[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the closest music reviewing has come to avant-garde literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: a1.png (122KB, 613x1084px) Image search: [Google]
a1.png
122KB, 613x1084px
Is this the closest music reviewing has come to avant-garde literature? I would love it if more album reviews were like this.
>>
>>61595419
so what's the album
>>
>>61595439
Paul Hares - astral travel
>>
>>61595419
far the fuck out. i would love to be given free creative license like this, to just rave about albums i like in whatever kind of overblown, insane poetic language i like.

this shit is probably my nominee for the most like "avant-garde literature" though. so fucking meta, this guy had some killer joke reviews.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/2232-transatlanticism/
>>
>>61595575
that review rocks
>>
Yeah, dude was pretty great. Has written some of the more absurd scathing reviews I've seen on there as well.

Decent example:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8896-year-of-the-rabbit/

"Which brings us to the lyrics, which are platitudinally freighted in from a Los Angeles high school freshman's algebra notebook, replete with bourgeois drug references and fashionable apathetic musings. Who needs the third person? Never YOTR. "I can't break out/ From this blanket of doubt/ Got me trapped in a maze of shadows." "If I'm trying to be hidden/ You still see me.../ If my whole world is crashing it won't matter/ I can keep it together when you are here." The latter lines are from "Hold Me Up", the record's requisite acoustic-with-strings moment, and break from open discourse on feeling down, getting picked up, not giving a fuck, and keeping it together amidst so much estrangement. (I hope I didn't just inadvertently plagiarize anything from them.) I'm still not sure which bear more of a striking resemblance to each other-- the songs or the band members."

trolololol
>>
>>61596052
haha that's great. i think the review i posted in OP is a great way of describing a lot of exotic, tribal hypnagogic pop (james ferraro, spencer clark, etc.).
>>
>>61596301
i agree, and i like that the reviewer just really fucking embraced it and almost totally shunned any conventional description.

i mean, you could probably accomplish more or less the same thing with some appropriate sub-genre tags, but that isn't near as fun.
>>
>>61596382
>>61595419
its this Marcel kid, just fuck yourself, you fucking prick, go to bed
>>
Lester Bangs was one giant Hunter Thompson ripoff, does that count?
>>
>>61596438
i don't know lol
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.