[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he right /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: Producer-Steve-Albini-007.jpg (31KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Producer-Steve-Albini-007.jpg
31KB, 460x276px
I am absolutely the wrong audience for this kind of music. I've always detested mechanized dance music, its stupid simplicity, the clubs where it was played, the people who went to those clubs, the drugs they took, the shit they liked to talk about, the clothes they wore, the battles they fought amongst each other...
Basically all of it: 100 percent hated every scrap.
The electronic music I liked was radical and different, shit like the White Noise, Xenakis, Suicide, Kraftwerk, and the earliest stuff form Cabaret Voltaire, SPK and DAF. When that scene and those people got co-opted by dance/club music I felt like we'd lost a war. I detest club culture as deeply as I detest anything on earth.
>>
>>61578819
I mean, he's right in that he's the wrong audience for it anyway
>>
>>61578849
who is more patrician him or scaraffles?
>>
>"I believe that the so-called shoegaze movement of bands is essentially just a gang of pretentious art school kids trying to create noise, but they're putting emphasis on some sort of cool, mysterious, sexy factor by obscuring the vocals and creating some hazy, druggy "atmosphere". Every one of these bands seem to have this woman in the front, acting provocatively on stage, wearing tons of makeup, and making some type of peculiar moaning tribal sex noise instead of singing legible lyrics. Underneath all the noise and obscured vocals, it's just your basic pop-rock, just pure bubblegum pop that's been peddled on your local radio station by the record company for the past 50 years. Same song structure, same basic premise at the core of it. But since there's a loud reverb-laden guitar it's so deep, so original, so creative.

>When people regard a group like Slowdive or Lush or Jesus and Mary Chain or My Bloody Valentine as the pinnacle of noise, or call these groups innovative and challenging in any way, I throw up in my mouth a little. People regard this mindless pop as noise, instead of listening to an actual noise group like The Jesus Lizard or Girls Against Boys. This shit is the reason that the development of British music has stagnated over the past 15 years, and will continue to do so."

Just how many scenes of music can one man BTFO?
>>
There are kinds of dance music with significantly more complexity and depth than what he attempts to portray here, however the particular artist (I forget his name) that he is responding to here is basically garbage, so he's right in that regard.
>>
>I believe it was top-selling record producer Steve Albini who said, "Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical 'adulthood'. To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside 'mere' rock music. This ostentatious display of 'sophistication' is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call 'jazz'. There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere. Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the 'free' zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom — sounds good. The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the disappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap."

absolutely fucking based
>>
>The electronic music I liked was radical and different, shit like the White Noise, Xenakis, Suicide, Kraftwerk,
>an actual noise group like The Jesus Lizard or Girls Against Boys
albenis confirmed pleb
>>
>>61578929
So what does this guy even like?

The Jesus Lizard and Girls Against Boys are hardly emblematic of "actual noise" either, like what the fuck
>>
>>61578983
>So what does this guy even like?

AC/DC and ZZ Top
>>
>>61578961
First statement is spot on. All those groups are good.
Second statement is lame though, because a purist would say noise rock isn't real noise music.
>>
I like Albini but he embarrasses himself 9 times out of 10 when he goes on those rants of his.

>>61578934
>however the particular artist (I forget his name) that he is responding to here is basically garbage, so he's right in that regard.

Powell ain't garbage mate, in fact he's closer to Albini's idea of "troo electronic music" than he is to EDM or whatever the fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUbxEVzA-oI
>>
>>61578949
This. Jazz is overrated and I don't get why jazz fans act like they're so mature/smart for liking it
>>
>>61578819

He doesn't even make noise he makes shitty alt rock. You can't one good album he has made.
>>
>>61578983
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/PervertedByLanguage/steve_albinis_top_15_records/
>>
>>61579063
>Atomizer
>Songs about Fucking
>Two Nuns and a Pack Mule
>At Action Park
>>
>>61579075
pretty patrish honestly
>>
File: 1452096656163.jpg (96KB, 435x673px) Image search: [Google]
1452096656163.jpg
96KB, 435x673px
>>61578949
why doesnt steve albini like lentil soup?
>>
>>61579024
Thanks for the link to the video, I like that track a lot more than Insomniac.

The first time I heard it I got the impression that it was just kind of a quirky-for-quirk's-sake kind of thing. The melody had an 8-bit sound that was a bit "precious" for me.
>>
>>61579063
Buyer's Market
>>
>>61579063
songs about fucking?
Atomizer?
two nuns and a pack mule?
its not shitty alt rock its shitty punk with noise elements. I love it
>>
>>61579008
>because a purist would say noise rock isn't real noise music.

Noise rock isn't real noise music though, that's not a matter of purism but a matter of fact.
Noise rock is a subgenre of rock music. Its influences primarily come from rock music from the 1960s onward.
Noise's influences don't even come from other music as much as they come from various multidisciplinary art movements, some of which date all the way back to the early 20th century.
>>
>>61579324
As much as I hate the "current year" meme, negro its 2016 and you're still thinking about music in fucking genres. Seriously?
>>
its kinda cute how someone could care about what is noise and what isnt real noise but also jazz is i dont listen to jazz
>>
I don't always agree with his opinions, but I don't mind them either. He's okay for what he does.
>>
>>61579324
There is overlap though.
To Live And Shave, NON, the list could go on...
>>
>>61578876
scruffy probs
>>
File: 1451470043369.png (2MB, 1638x1246px) Image search: [Google]
1451470043369.png
2MB, 1638x1246px
>>61578819
>being elitist about dancing music because of the instruments used
>>
>>61579352
Free improvisation can easily have as much to do with noise as it does with jazz.
>>
>>61579412
turny pls go
>>
>>61579414
>Free improvisation can easily have as much to do with noise as it does with jazz.
oh my god do you hear yourself?
>>
>>61579412
>only 3 choppers for Stockhausen
>>
>>61579351
I don't even know what you're trying to suggest with that statement. I don't get hung up on genres but they do exist(I'm not sure I would even call noise a genre of music, I always just looked at it as a medium of its own).
I wasn't disparaging noise rock or anything, I was just trying to explain that there is a distinction between noise and noise rock, because there is. There's a blatant distinction between their backgrounds, the theories and histories of development behind them, the ways that the artists in them work, the results of that work.

>>61579385
Yeah there are some artists which blur the lines more than others(I wouldn't say Boyd Rice is one of those artists though, pretty much all his work as NON sits firmly in the noise/industrial camp). Generally speaking though, the lines are drawn clearly.
>>
>>61579530
What's wrong with what I said?
>>
He probably heard early nineties dance music when it was a looped beat and a girl going 'yeah' over the top, then never revisited the genre.
>>
File: ride.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
ride.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
>>61578929

geez. that was brutal. Although there might be legitimacy to what he says I wonder if he or other shoegazing critics felt the same way about the band "Ride".

Ride is a band that I've enjoyed a lot recently. Favorite track is "Vapour Trail".

What's the general opinion on it?
>>
>>61579024
>in fact he's closer to Albini's idea of "troo electronic music" than he is to EDM or whatever the fuck
why, cause his drums are mixed with no bass and all high end? powell tunes sound like trash sculpted from unsyncopated samples from probably def leppard soundtracks or something
>>
>>61580055
>britpop
>>
>>61580055

they're not really shoegaze in the same sense that lush isn't either
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.