[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can somebody please explain to me the really big hype around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (71KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
71KB, 1440x1080px
Can somebody please explain to me the really big hype around this dude?
>>
Probably Tylo be chillin
>>
A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN
>>
>>61573638
Not really any big hype, he just ended up with a cult following for his slightly unusual take on memphis hip hop and his early retirement.
>>
>>61573673
haha for me it's Slugs>Achilles Foot>Grave Within A Grave
>>
It's offensive blackface music.

This is Lil Ugly Mane before creating his persona and being a meme rap artist. How can you watch this and not see that Lil Ugly Mane is meant to be a racist parody of black stereotypes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDWC1Z6ZXA
>>
>>61573731
Dude you can't leave out collapse and appear & opposite lanes
>>
>>61573763
oh no doubt, those are just the three I really jam out to the most. Slugs gets me so fucking pumped.
>>
>people never complain when A$AP Rocky or Big Sean use the chopped and screwed vocals
>somehow it's wrong when Lil Ugly Mane does it because he's white
>>
>>61573779
IT'S ALL SO DAMN GOOD. Did you listen to that Trick Dice tape he did with Nick Fury?
>>
>>61573780
Cuticle Apparitionz
>>
>>61573780
A$AP Rocky's ancestors earned him the right to pitch shift vocals, even though there are petty regional arguments, modern African-American culture comes largely from the same place.

Lil Ugly Mane's music is nothing more than a modern version of Blackface minstrel show.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 750x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 750x259px
>>61573819
>>
>>61573638
The most important thing to understand is that his intentions were truly the opposite of a meme. He didn't make his music to get famous or even be successful, he just made the music under the Lil Ugly Mane moniker just to make them. The same way he made black metal under the name Vudmurk and an assortment of other projects under different names. There wasn't an ego involved. People who hate on HIM instead of his individual albums are fucking retarded and have never participated in their local music scene

Same guy: https://vimeo.com/24202444

Imagine if you spent your whole life doing something just for fun, trying to keep it a secret and then someone discovered one tiny element of your work and started broadcasting it to the entire world, and everyone judged you on that one little scrap that you never even cared much about to begin with.

I can write about his LUM project, but it's important to recognize that writing about Lil Ugly Mane is not talking about a real person, but a concept, and character, that evolved over time.
>>
File: 1438583730001.jpg (97KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1438583730001.jpg
97KB, 625x626px
>>61573819
>>
>>61573784
Nah, I'll hit those up though, definitely looking for some more Lyle Ugleman in my life
>>
>>61573943
It's mostly LUM contributing production-wise, he only has two or three verses on the entire 50-something minute tape. But Nick Fury is a great rapper and it's some of LUM's best production that he's at least released.
>>
>>61573943
It's also divided up like a cassette tape, two tracks (sides), each about 20~ minutes long.
>>
>>61573880
>>61573638
But to give you a basic summary of the hype around LUM, understand that it grew from people being drawn into the authenticity and mystery.

I know it seems weird and maybe even backwards to use the word "authenticity" to describe Ugly but you have to understand that his early fans discovered him through the same blogs and sites that frequently covered and pulled music from the empty, superficial Tumblr scene. You got really flashy, swaggy singles about big chains, and pimp shit and if you liked it, it was cool for a few days but the artist never did anything near as good, and really was just a flash in the pan based strictly on image. When you looked up Ugly Mane you didn't see a shiny Instagram full of Rick Owens, Old English and girls in bras blowing big smoke clouds, you just got music. It was something different and the music was quality and you could quickly see that there was a lot of substance and thought put into it. It wasn't an album made to get upvotes or youtube subscriptions and it had great beats and lyrics.

He kept getting realer as he got popular, and really made music for people who enjoyed music instead of just rap. He just put out good music, while keeping a lowkey persona and trying to avoid the spotlight as much as possible.

His music speaks for itself, and that's why he got such a big fan base.

>>61573975
his verses on that tape are great though
>>
>>61574034
>>61573880
One other thing to add is that Ugly Mane basically ended up being a "singles artist" because he would release a few songs a year, instead of full albums, and he still managed to maintain a growing fanbase that eagerly looked forward to anything he put out.
If you consider the run time of all of his releases, 80% of his discography as LUM isn't even rap and 70% of it would be inaccessible to a typical rap fan. He doesn't care, and never will because rap is extremely basic and rap fans are extremely boring who can't grasp concepts.
>>
His music is good and so people support him

he is also an internet rapper so a fuckload of retarded suburban fuccbois hopped all over his cock because DUDE LOL DUMB NIGGER MUSIC BUT A WHITE GUY QUOTABLES 4 DAYZ LOL and then the r/deathgrips crowd came along as well

but his music is actually really fuckin good, be it as an homage to memphis rap or as his more sincere sound, so just ignore that and listen to him
>>
>>61573780
>he barely even screwed his voice

seriously there's only a few tracks where he does it, most of MTI was just him throwing on a fake (and incredibly accurate/realistic) Memphis accent because the album was a fuckin homage/new take on to Memphis hip hop
>>
>>61574304
He wanted to sound black so he pitch shifted his vocals, he even calls himself "all black Ugly Mane" on one of the tracks if I remember correctly.
>>
>>61574173
>He doesn't care, and never will because rap is extremely basic and rap fans are extremely boring who can't grasp concepts.
You're lame and he wouldn't agree with this
>>
>>61574334
Denzel Curry called him "all black ugly mane", referring to a murdered out aesthetic

he pitch shifted his vocals only on a handful of songs and did it and the accent because it was supposed to sound like Memphis hip hop, not "to sound black".

you're a fucking retard and you know nothing about hip hop
>>
File: big-side-delts.jpg (26KB, 409x245px) Image search: [Google]
big-side-delts.jpg
26KB, 409x245px
>>61574034
>>61573880
>>61574173

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S5tWgbwxkQ

>i guess it's not too late to find another niche
>always wished i woulda died when i was 26
>laid up in the sheets with a honey dip
>not a worry in my mind cuz i quit

>stress drives the sounds that makes pounds and props
>feeling like i'm bound to these downtown blocks
>i don't know nobody guapped up
>i'm living and i'm up trapped up under city limits, every minute
>lots of shit i never finish
>i don't even want a little smidgen

>all these people try to tell me my musics a shitty gimmick
>shit, i'm just spitting for the fucking spitting
> i aint worried about some idiot caught up in the analytics
>i never liked the limelight, never was compatible
>only press you getting out of Ugly is the lateral
>people too concerned with strictly adding up their capital
>but dollars are collapsible so yall aint even rational

>but just to keep my motives in the open
>never wanted no exposure
>never needed to be noticed
>never bothered with promotion
>kept the photo out of focus
>the mental state was humble
>but the rhymes was braggadocios
>wandered with my hoodie up down narcissistic avenues
>vast and captivated, turned rapping into stacking loot
>but why pursue that gratitude if nothing is an absolute
>their aptitude is too acute to navigate my attributes
>>
>>61574173
Young Thug and Future are extremely inaccessible yet 80% of their fanbase consists of rap fans.
>>
>>61574359
They're inaccessible because they're intentionally bad memes, which rap fans eat up all day
>>
>>61574357
>you know nothing about hip hop
I'm actually black, you stupid crackerass cuck.
>>
>>61574371
>some moron in bleep calls dj rashad & spinn post ironic
>future and thug are now intentionally bad memes

jesus christ, is there a thing that isnt a fucking meme or post ironic or ironically shit or whatever the fuck to you people?

seriusly, you retards turn everything into a meme or call it ironic, even though thats far from artists intention
>>
>>61574378
I don't give a fuck what color you are, you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>61574338
delete your post you look stupid.
how about instead of saying i'm simply just wrong, point out what you disagree with and correct me. you won't because you don't actually know.

and i don't care what you think he would think about my 4chan post because if i ever meet him in real life he won't know me based off what i say online. he'll know me by how i present myself, and he'll be surprised to discover i'm a fan and i won't have any issue figuring out his actual intentions for the project. but for right now i know 100000x more than you know about him but i also don't need to know anything about him to understand his music, which was my entire point since my very first post.
>>
>>61574428
>delete your post you look stupid
You need to take your own advice, that paragraph and a half response to a sentence long reply makes you look insecure and buttblasted
>>
>>61574359
They aren't inaccessible though, and if you think they are you're kind of stupid because Top 40 automatically implies accessibility. Remember, The Carter Three sold something like a million copies on the first day. This shit isn't new. if you've spent time around actual gehtto people you'd know they identify with that shit way more than Kendrick Lamar.

Do I need to link you to Ugly's bandcamp to show you what i mean or are you able to look it up yourself?

>young thug and future
what the fuck does that have to do with music??
>>
>>61573638
SHE ON MY DICK LIKE FLIES IN A BOX OF FRUIT
>>
>>61574399
>rapper makes good music with a lot of thought and effort
>/mu/ gives harsh criticism that's 95% personal taste
>rapper makes bad music in 20 minutes
>"Stop taking it so srs fuckin backpackers dont know how 2 have fun xDD"
>>
>>61574446
if we both took our own advice their wouldn't even be a thread left.

only difference is i actually contributed with solid info and all you did is hate and provided nothing like the dumb faggot you are in real life.

>how about instead of saying i'm simply just wrong, point out what you disagree with and correct me. you won't because you don't actually know.
well??????
>>
>>61574460
>what the fuck does that have to do with music??
suck my fucking dick you fucking retard
>>
>>61574480
yep you've got nothing except a shitty taste in music.

and i like Future but i know he's full of shit and his music has no substance. i won't lie to myself and say otherwise.
>>
>>61574502
future is actually deep and his music has plenty of substance, i am sorry for your brain tumor :(
>>
>>61574473
>how about instead of saying i'm simply just wrong, point out what you disagree with and correct me. you won't because you don't actually know.
Ok, you sound like a dickwad implying that rap is basic when we're in a thread about someone who's best known for his rap project. You probably appreciate him more for his other music because it's more "substantial" or whatever. I would imagine he has a lot of respect for the craft and he himself being a hip hop fan, you're calling him a boring person who can't grasp concepts. Do you see the flaws in your argument?
>>
>>61574543
no really i only listen to his rap stuff. i like his other stuff but i don't really care about it.

and again, nope you're a fucking dumb ass. i said that the average rap fan doesn't typically think about a concept behind a song, and especially album and even rarer still, an entire musical project.

case in point: read any LUM thread.
obviously he respects the craft, but he also thinks it's basic because it is and if you don't think he thinks that you might be missing three quarters or even seven eights of your already deformed brain.

>>61574539
come on... just because it sounds deep doesn't mean it is. anybody can make anything sound deep after the fact.
>>
>>61574593
>but he also thinks it's basic because it is
Source
>>
>>61574600
aint even a challenge cuz the rap game basic, he aint heard talent since Incarcerated Scarfaces and i don't need to say anything else now go to bed before your mom catches you online past your bedtime
>>
>>61574614
You're really acting stupid. At first you said rap fans, now you're saying the "average" rap fan. That line isn't saying rap is basic, he's saying the climate is. We're not even arguing over anything you just sounded like a snobby prick initially.
>>
>>61574666
>you just sounded like a snobby prick initially.
hahaha yea i wrote a bunch of well-informed posts that go beyond the typical >hes a meme
posts and you found one tiny thing that got your feelings hurt and instead of correcting me or saying your opinion you went on to attack ME like an over emotional idiot. i feel bad for you, but i really feel worse for people who actual wan to know factual information about Lil Ugly Mane because dumb fuckers like you get in the way of that happening. why?
rhetorical question, stupid.
>>
>>61574743
>over emotional idiot
The irony man, just stop
>>
can someone give me an essential album of his to get into?
>>
>>61574861
Uneven Compromise
>>
>>61574861
MTI and Oblivion Access are his only albums

listen to those + Uneven Compromise and Passion Sceptre/Dert Mystery, then get the tapes and singles and so on
>>
Did he release that music video first before anything else? damn that music video is so good.
>>
>>61574965
Playaz Circle was his first album
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 352x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 352x349px
>>61574357
lol "he isn't trying to sound black"

http://youtu.be/QMrIMvxvbPE
>>
EL-P for hipsters
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.