[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So which is it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: music..png (157KB, 549x581px) Image search: [Google]
music..png
157KB, 549x581px
So which is it?
>>
>>61570348
i'm conflicted about it because on the one hand One Love and It Ain't Hard are the only two really interesting songs on the album, but on the other hand, I've never heard anybody rap as well as Nas does on that joint
>>
File: bjork-1994-bjorn-opsahl-02b.jpg (740KB, 2500x2433px) Image search: [Google]
bjork-1994-bjorn-opsahl-02b.jpg
740KB, 2500x2433px
Dude saying this album is overrated is literally a meme. If no one knew about this album and it suddenly dropped everyone would lost their shit (oh wait that's what fucking happened and that's why it's still considered the GOAT by any one who isn't an edgy hipster who visits /mu/).
>>
>>61570348
Overrated
>>
Classic album. Not my personal favourite but I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't listened to much/any hip-hop before.
>>
>>61570348
hipsters pretend its overrated because anything commonly regarded as great isnt a good look for them
>>
>>61571102

This. /mu/ in spades
>>
>>61570737
your conclusion would be that rap sucks
>>
I listened to it and it was really good
>>
10/10. Would treat cancer with this.
>>
>>61571102
/thread

This album is also a huge sufferer of the Seinfeld effect. It seems stale because it's been emulated so many times.
>>
Overrated as fuck
>>
There's dozens of more enjoyable Hip Hop albums

There's a reason why Notorious B.I.G. totally outshined Nas in New York

Blacks don't worship Nas, they worship 2Pac and Biggie; even Rakim, Public Enemy, Dr, Dre, Eazy E, Jay Z, etc.

Nas is respected, but he's more for 'le rhyme' fans, who also worship Eminem, and MF Doom
>>
boring ass production
7/10 tbqh
>>
Too much talking about nothing, all the songs sound the same apart from the choruses
>>
>>61570348
Deserves all the praise it gets
>>
>>61574311
agreed, except maybe 6/10
>>
Overrated, rapfans act like it is the second coming of christ.
>>
>>61574344
N.Y. State of Mind is an introduction to gritty mid-90s New York
Life's a Bitch is self explanatory; offers some optimism
The World Is Yours is an inspirational track about going above and beyond what the hood expects
Halftime is, admittedly, not about much but it was recorded before the real album sessions
Memory Lane is a more nostalgic take on the "show you around New York" idea
One Love is a series of narratives about people in/getting out of jail
One Time 4 Your Mind is just Nas chillin
Represent, admittedly another song about the hood but its badass
It Ain't Hard to Tell is purely a brag track

Sure some songs have similar topics but "talk about nothing" and "all the songs sound the same" makes no sense as a knock on this album. Also just try to pretend Life's a Bitch and Represent sound similar at all
>>
>>61574497
>is an introduction to gritty mid-90s New York
lol
>self explanatory; offers some optimism
the theme of the track is what people call pessimism, the opposite of optimism

>an inspirational track about going above and beyond what the hood expects
generic theme

>is, admittedly, not about much but it was recorded before the real album sessions
>is a more nostalgic take on the "show you around New York" idea
>is just Nas chillin
>admittedly another song about the hood but its badass
>is purely a brag track
lol

>Also just try to pretend Life's a Bitch and Represent sound similar at all
life's a bitch stands out from the album because of az's affected hook, in contrast to nas' repetitive rhyming

(not the guy you responded to btw)
>>
>>61574497
Fell for the bait. Hard.
>>
>>61574602
>lol
>lol
Wonderful criticism

Well-trodden themes sure, but Illmatic was one of the first albums to explore them with such a meticulous level of wordplay and internal rhyme. And regardless of your repeated >lols most of the tracks are still about different topics
>>
>>61574707
Go back to defending Future
>>
>>61574715
More bait.
>>
Overrated
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.