[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I made an album in my bedroom, got signed, and just did an interview

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 7

File: 0006536932_0.jpg (271KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
0006536932_0.jpg
271KB, 1440x810px
I made an album in my bedroom, got signed, and just did an interview that's up on the bandcamp front page. Partly because of the attention I received from 4chan (/mu/ and /b/) with my first EP. My full length album 'Coils' comes out 1/22. Ask me anything. oh and bandcamp thread?
>>
we ENVY you man
>>
What is tour on opinion on Blur?
>>
>>61562815
nice blogpost faggot
>>
What exactly would we want to ask you? Do you just want to talk about yourself, or have you got some gossip for us?
>>
>Ask me anything
>Already has this inflated of an ego
>>
>>61562877
What an unknown independent musician can do to get their music heard, what getting signed entails... I dont know. I had tons of question throughout the whole process.
>>
>>61562943
Alright, how do I get heard?
>>
>>61562815
I make music in my bedroom, how do I get signed?
>>
>>61562836
Woo hoo
>>61562879
I loathe myself too much to have an inflated ego, but I am releasing an album that I would like people to hear. I suppose thats a pretty self involved act.
>>
>>61562815
what kind of music do you make? I'm not going to listen to it so please describe it to me.
>>
>>61562975
Spam the fuck out of your shit anywhere and everywhere, it also helps to have some sort of story to tell. With me I had just gotten laid off and decided fuck it, I'm going to put all my time and effort into music, I'm 28 years old and I've got nothing to lose. That got people to at least give me 20 seconds of their time to check out my music.
>>61562979
Do it as often as possible, for your own enjoyment. If you love what you do (and you have talent) people will pick up on that and it will spread if you just hustle on the internet. I posted on reddit and 4cahn and my bandcamp got enough hits that the bandcamp curator noticed me and featured me on a couple shows. I finished a full length and shopped it around, physically went to labels HQs and dropped my demo. One called me back out of maybe 10 I sent it to.
>>
>>61562979
>>61562975
>>61563028
Wanna answer a question, buddy?
>>
>got signed

I'm happy for you, but this doesn't have as much weight as it used to. There are so many independent labels who will accept anything sub-par. Unless you were in a board room meeting with business executives, signing a 5-album contract, this isn't news to /mu/ at all
>>
>>61563028
Acoustic-Acid-Sample-Beat-IDM-Pop fuck idk.
>>
>>61563140
>spam the fuck out of your shit anywhere and everywhere

This is the worst advice you could possibly give. When (good) labels receive dozens / hundreds of demos a day, they can spot a spammer from a mile away. Your shit has to cater to the label and obviously be personalised.
>>
>>61563150
I'm not saying its news, I did get a 2 album contract and to my suprise was cut an advance check that has allowed me to buy equipment and rent a house out in the desert to record my next album. I also have my stuff on vinyl and theres no way I could have done that on my own. Small steps, somebody gave me money for my music that will allow me to have the free time to make more, thats all I need.
>>
>>61563202
I'm speaking more in the social media sense, reddit, facebook, 4chan. ALSO contacting musicians you listen to and love, you would be surprised who rights back.
>>
>>61563164

It's pop / folk, don't sugar coat it. Adding a midi keyboard doesn't suddenly add 3 genres to your name. Sorry to sound a little cruel, but you do sound a little egotistical (without knowing it)
>>
>>61563224

Fair enough, and congrats - that doesn't happen much where I am, even with larger labels.
>>
>>61563254
you can put whatever labels you would like on it, someone asked me how I would describe it. More often than not I just say pop, but thats an awfully broad genre for someone asking for a description.
>>
I gave Holy Mountain a listen, pretty neat OP.
>>
>>61562815
what are the odds?
>>
>>61563331
thanks! thats from the first EP, you can find the album here with 2 songs available to stream.
https://evangeesman.bandcamp.com/
>>
>>61562815
nice; actually i have nothing against viralling so I'll probably check out your project since I'm trying to hear as much music from 2016 as I can.

the question is: you want to hear my music? or other anons' music? you can turn this thread into a bandcamp thread so idk.
>>
>>61563367
unfavorable hahah, but I made music for 14 years before I even decided to take it somewhat seriously and see if I could get myself heard. If you always do it for yourself you will never be disappointed.
>>
Was it the spamming everywhere that got you noticed? Or did you play shows, tour and all that to eventually get contacted by a label?
>>
>>61563401
I'll always peep some music, the problem with bandcamp threads is its usually all msucians, which is cool , but if you are trying to expand your audience it isn't really the best option. Great for critiquing and getting second opinions on things tho. Go for it.
>>
>>61562815
nice man, congrats on your success!
>>
>>61563477
It was honestly 3 posts, one on reddit r/futurebeat one on /b/ and one on /mu/ they just picked up steam and kept going. I play live shows but only local its usually just my acoustic sets. I got noticed by a label because I basically walked in and gave them my demo and a little PR kit I made with my story etc.
>>
>>61563526
thank you bruv
>>
>>61563492
okay, you can hear some music by me here:
raspelf.bandcamp.com

I have a chart on /daily/ so I'll add you there, I love browsing Bandcamp for obscure releases but sometimes it's hard to get through all the mediocre stuff that isn't really worth any attention
>>
File: image.jpg (140KB, 932x641px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 932x641px
>>61562815
Hey nigga want to collage on my mixtape
>>
I have a question for you OP; why are you such a fucking faggot?
>>
>>61563715
I ask myself that question every day.
>>
>>61563633
dig the atmospherics, what equipment you use?
>>
I listened to 'Stalks', thought it was pretty cool.

Question: since you are into online attention, why not make your stuff Vanity House on What.cd, maybe get it featured. Looks like two of your releases are already uploaded there anyway, so..
>>
>>61563873
lol they are? rad. I don't have an account, shit tier waffles user here. If you want to do it for me I'll send you the files por gratis
>>
>>61563917
You need to be the musician for the vanity house stuff, it's for musicians on whatcd. Waffles has recruitment for whatcd in its power user invite thread unless it's changed, you can get in from an official recruiter that way.
>>
how much money did you get for the contract?
if you are too much of a bitch to tell us what is the order of magnitude?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (49KB, 431x513px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
49KB, 431x513px
>>61563917
Yeah, see pic related.

But as the other anon said, the artist has to be a member to do Vanity House. You could interview for WCD membership, as it's worth having an account anyway.
>>
>>61563816
FL Studio desu. I also use a lot of post-production in Audacity. thanks for checking out
>>
>>61564047
2k licensing 2k publishing
>>
congrats op, lots of people in this thread are salty but it's clear you worked hard and seem nice
>>
Have you spent much time here? Or have you pretty much confined your time here to sharing your music?
>>
>>61564443
Thanks, eh I expected that, its 4chan.
>>61564636
I come here at least once a week for sharethreads, mostly a lurker unless I post in production/music threads. Been hanging around for 8 yrs at least.
>>
>>61563002
If you really hated yourself you wouldnt be telling everyone about yourself you asshole
>>
>>61564752
Yeah I want to make a living doing something I love, fuck me right?
>>
are you making a living off of this? where does most of the income come from? album sales? shows?
>>
>>61564842
Nope not even, I wait table 20 hours a week. So far bandcamp sales and the record advance, also the occasional show
>>
>>61564930
damn. and here's me thinking getting signed and playing shows would be my ticket out of a lame-o job

thanks for answering
>>
>>61564415
you gave away your publishing for 2k? weak shit my guy
>>
>>61562815
is your album as good as Jonathan Mathis - Angry Kid?
>>
>>61565033
Its possible, I just started. If you have a licensing deal and you get your stuff in a movie or tv show thats anywhere from 2k-100k, you may only see 40 percent of that, but still that is good money for one song, not to mention the $ you get from royalties/mechanical fees.
>>
I have a Bandcamp, but I really only use my Soundcloud so here's that.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-hill-29/uh-huh-1
>>
>>61565039
For an 8 song album that cost me nothing to make that I was going to release for free on bandcamp? I aint mad. Also you try negotiating a record deal without a lawyer, when its the ONLY deal you have on the table. It costs around 500 to even have a lawyer look at your contract, upwards of 1000 to renegotiate. This is part of the reason I'm posting, because I didn't know jack shit about any of this and it was all very confusing, every label is different, every artist, every deal. There is no standard. And at this point the album was 6 months old, I was ready to release. From start to finish the whole thing took over a year to release.
>>
>>61565189
Same guy. Congrats btw we're glad to see someone make it from here. Hopefully I'll follow you down the line.
>>
>>61565052
never heard of em, wouldn't do something as stupid as saying I'm better than anyone though.
>>
>>61565208
do you still own a % of pub?
>>
>>61565253
50/50 on all profits after expenses are recouped (advance checks, marketing costs)
>>
>>61565277
that's not a bad deal desu
>>
>>61565208
If I were to not pay you any money for your music, but pirate it for free, how does that make you feel? Do you expect it? Do you feel cheated or ripped off? Or do you encourage it since it means your music goes farther and reaches more places? Truly curious.
>>
Thanks for the tips OP. Hard to get raw info elsewhere these days. Listened to a few tracks, not exactly what I'm into, but definitely some neat sounds. Good luck
>>
>>61562815
Do you like your music or is it just indie bait for $$$?
>>
File: reallynigga.jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
reallynigga.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
>>61565052
>implying god-tier bancamp music isnt extremely rare
Why would you ask that?
>>61565249
Respect to you. Whats your bandcamp?
>>
>>61565316
I encourage it. I'd be a hypocrite if I said I cared, I haven't bought an album in ages hahah.
>>
>>61564805
yeah suck my dick Ill die poor for my art you will only go as far as a paycheck lets you.
>>
Dude your stuff is too good to be posted in a Bandcamp thread.
>>
>>61565400
Shitty musician detected
>>
Should I go to school for music or should I go to school to be an accountant to afford to do music?
>>
>>61565400
how is mcdonalds working out for you?
>>
>>61565400
found the noise musician
>>
>>61565498
fuck music school, makes u sound the same as every1 else
>>
>>61565530
that's not true lol

>using the "it's different so it's better" meme as an argument
>>
>>61565555
idk everyone I know who went to music school can't break out of "proper music theory" brain. Music school is great for learning about jazz chords and shit but It won't teach you how to express yourself. If anything it just makes you too in your head IMO
>>
>>61565530
It's community college, but yeah, I imagine it's in a stuffy orchestral environment which I can't stand.
>>
>>61565327
I like my stuff when I'm making it and tend to think I could have done it better once its done. If I wanted to make lots of money I would have stayed in high school and gone to college like a good worker ant.
>>61565362
www.evangeesman.bandcamp.com
you can also peep this weeks Bandcamp weekly to hear most of the new album plus an interview here: http://bandcamp.com/?show=160&play=1 (interview starts about 30 minutes in)
>>61565400
I'll be making music regardless of my financial situation, I did it for 14 years for myself and myself only. I only sent my shit out because people told me I'd be stupid not to. You seem bitter.
>>61565428
Nothing against those threads, but its usually a musician circle jerk rather than a place to get everyone to hear your stuff.
>>
>>61565498
go to business school to learn how to be a musician that can survive
>>
File: image.jpg (281KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281KB, 960x1280px
http://bluehole.bandcamp.com

>Psychedelic
>One Man Band
>Washington State
>>
>>61565609
your stuff is p. good but aesthetics need some work in my opinion. Collaboration with a visual artist might push your shit 2 the next level
>>
>>61562815
what label did you get signed to? I'm not gonna read that interview
>>
>>61565609
>www.evangeesman.bandcamp.com
Im very glad i asked. this is actually fantastic. You actually should listen to Angry Kid though. Its trippy like this. EVERYONE COME CHECK OUT THIS GUYS BANDCAMP ITS TRIPPY
>>
>>61565498
What do you love? Music? Ok do it as much as you can and if that means going to school for music fucking do it and fuck what anyone says, you do anything long enough and you will get good enough to be paid to do it. It may not be album sales, but it will have something to do with music and that is better than some shit job you have no love for.
>>61565530
I wish I had some proper schooling in regards to theory, but you can paint a beautiful picture with 2 colors, or you can paint it with 20, its all a matter of taste. Do you want to expand your palette?
>>
>>61565643
my homegirl did the album art and I'm psyched with it. in what way do you mean?
>>61565671
Ubiquity. Its an audio interview if that helps ha.
>>61565672
thank you, listening to him now, is he a /mu/ poster?
>>
>>61565631
>http://bluehole.bandcamp.com
nice reminds me of some Tim Hecker
>>
And here's a private stream just for /mu/ of the whole album...why not

http://bandcamp.com/private/U875T9MJ
>>
>>61565780
you gotta read the instructions on his page. you gotta get high to it m8 then listen to it fully before coming to a conclusion. a lot of future songs piece together a sort of story but you really outta pay attention to it dont browse /mu/ while listening you wont get its depth if you do it that way.
>>
>>61566155
too ADD for instructions
>>
>>61567053
Dont read his fucking instructions just make sure you get high to it.

>>61566155
Stop giving his fans a bad name with that weed LMAO shit.
>>
>>61563250
Who wrote back to you?
>>
>>61565277
solid shit my dude
>>
>>61562815
Woud you do a collab with lobo
>>
How long did it take you to get signed? Any sweet gigs booked yet?
>>
File: 1443674883359.png (44KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
1443674883359.png
44KB, 498x500px
>lads pls stroke my ego and also buy my music
>>
>>61562815
Congrats on the success. I have class early in the morning but I'll check our your music tomorrow when I look at the replies. I just read through your replies, pretty helpful stuff so far. I have a few questions. First, what were your /mu/ and reddit posts like exactly? How did you show people your stuff without seeming spammy and being told to post in a soundcloud thread or whatever?

Second, what are some other good places to start to get exposure? I see bedroom bands that have songs with 50,000+ hits on some of their songs and I'm wondering where it all starts from. Is it just them working to get exposure or is it just a good song and so people start to share it and it builds momentum?
>>
>>61563543
What was your PR kit like
>>
>>61563140
>I'm 28 years old

This sounds awfully familiar
>>
>>61563543
Do you think you could have gotten signed had you not basically walked in? Also this >>61571599
>>
File: 8965small.jpg (184KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
8965small.jpg
184KB, 768x576px
I think I'm better, where do I get my $50,000?

https://youtu.be/FPtWO6e5wkk
>>
Where do you see yourself in the future OP? In terms of success and how long do you think it will take until you can make a living off it? I see you only have 450 likes on Facebook which isn't too much.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.