[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What pickups should I use in my les paul?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: 123456789.jpg (161KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
123456789.jpg
161KB, 500x500px
What pickups do you use? What pickups do you think I should get for playing doom/stoner/sludge?Any advice appreciated
>>
>>61551159
if its not a shit LP the stock ones should be totally fine for stoner/doom
>>
>>61551173
>Epiphone custom...
>>
>>61551173
>>61551188
I'm pretty sure they are alnico classics with split coil to be specific
>>
>>61551188
that one dude in bongripper used an epi at points. if you really need to change any of the standard med output pickups from SD or dimarzio will work quite well. you don't need anything too fancy
>>
>>61551222
I've heard Seymour Duncan are nice. Any in
particular you think would be best for that style of music?
>>
>>61551264
the JB/jazz combo that everyone likes should be fine. that stoner tone is realyl the sag from the tuning on the scale and the amp
>>
take a look at gibson tony iommi pickups
>>
>>61551283
Those are two different pickups right? Does it make a difference in sound if they are installed in bridge or neck position? Sorry for stupid questions, I'm pretty new at this.
>>
>>61551328
they are. any pickups site will tell you where the pickups go or if they can flip flop depending on preference
>>
>>61551159
Chuck a dimarzio evo 2 humbucker in the bridge, it'll sound killer, I had one in my stratocaster for year, just changed it out recently to put custom shop 69's in to get the fender sound back, but the evo 2 is an amazing pickup, it's really clear even when played with high amounts of distortion, has a really nice clean tone too for a bridge pickup.
>>
>>61551328
Yeah you need to buy the right one, you can't put a neck pickup in the bridge or a bridge pickup in the neck, make sure you buy the right one for the position you want it in.
>>
Pickups won't make a drastic difference, especially in doom /sludge where you don't need a tight low end for palm mutes or anything. Greg Anderson for example uses a Gibson with p90s and he has one of the most crushing tones.

Your money is probably better spent on a new amp/fuzz.
>>
>>61551386
to be fair he did put humbuckers in that gold top eventually but yea, this.
>>
>>61551382
>I realize that. I guess I should have worded my question better. Would a Jb designed and placed in bridge position sound different than a jb designed and placed in neck position? Or is it just a matter of preference.
>>
>>61551386
Fair enough. What would your amp suggestion for low to mid budget be then?
>>61551440
accidental green text..
>>
>>61551440
Pickups that are meant for the neck position have a lower output than pickups designed for the bridge. This is to make up for the fact that the strings move less near the bridge.
>>
I wouldn't use an LP for sludge/stoner/doom.
I'd recommend a longer scale (ballpark 25-ish, Fender scale, not 23-ish like Gibson).
LP bodies are heavy enough for it but I don't think the short scale neck is going to help you on the low end.
>>
>>61551554
You're talking number of frets? Why would having more frets help? Isn't an E an E regardless of how many frets you have?
>>
>>61551554
but that short scale downtune is what makes that doomy sound. its the slop that makes it work. LPs have to be the most common doom guitar
>>
>>61551188
Shit guitar desu

Save your money for a Heritage or Gibson

but if you really want new p/ups then Gibsons (57 classics/490s) or SDs (Custom 5/59) should do good.
>>
>>61551589
no, he's talking about the length of the neck
>>
>>61551554
Mastodon, Melvins & Sunn 0))) all use Les Pauls

stop talking bullshit please
>>
>>61551466
Where are you located? Vintage Tube Traynor amps are a good choice if you're in the US or Canada.
>>
>>61551604
Sorry I'm poorfag and don't have thousands of dollars to spend on gibson. Figure I'd buy epi and swap out parts to get sound comparable enough to gibson without price tag.
>>
>>61551633
>Canada
>>
>>61551651
>he's never played a larrivee
>>
>>61551634
>get sound comparable enough to gibson
not really. you don't need to spend thousands to get a Gibson.

If I were you I would look for a second hand Gibson SG faded. Great guitar, play super nice, sound good as fuck and one of the cheapest Gibsons you can find. And far better than any Epiphone tbqh.

Inb4 some poorfag tries to say Epiphones are just as or almost as good as Gibsons (muh pickups)
>>
>>61551661
Doesn't gibson own epiphone? Isn't the main difference where they are assembled and the components? Therefore associated labour costs of built in china vs. built in U.S.A. or Canada makes up a lot of the difference in price. Inb4 wood type makes huge difference for electric guitars.
>>
>>61551694
Wood, assembly (glues, drying process), finish etc all make a difference
>>
Check out rondomusic for an LP and with the money you save get some other pickups, I think they also have baritone guitars. Aren't those used for doom?
>>
>>61551554
I agree with this guy, you can buy an american strat and just throw a humbucker in the bridge position and it's still much much cheaper than a gibson.
>>
>>61551708
I could see that making a difference in the aesthetics and durability of the guitar. But as an electrician I see a electromagnet picking up disturbances in magnetic field via magnetic flux. How could the type of wood and glue drastically change these variables?
>>
>>61551760
the way the string vibrates is affected by the resonance of the guitar. all these factors effect the resonance and seem to produce a better sound.
>>
>>61551787
by better sound, I mean 'better' tone woods and glues etc are used in gibsons
>>
>>61551787
>>61551799
I could understand this argument for acoustic guitars because the resonance would play a bigger role in the overall sound. But electrics have no empty cavity for sound to resonate in. I'm no expert but I have a feeling resonance plays a much smaller part in electrics than people think it does.
>>
>>61551847
I have an american strat and another fender that's made in mexico wich I put expensive pickups in and got it set up buy a guitar tech, the one made in american sounds 1,000 times better, I don't know what it is but cheap guitars just sound shit compared to expensive ones.
>>
>>61551868
It must have been the wood and glue interfering with the magnetic field. Or did the cheap one have single coil pickups and the expensive have humbuckers?
>>
>>61551554
You know shortscale guitars like Les Pauls and SGs are a huge part of the sound of doom, sludge and stoner genres right? You just use thicker strings.

Also it's 24.75" not 23".
>>
>>61551868>>61551937
You know, I'm not saying your wrong and I'm a little drunk and flappy. I suppose wood, could effect the tone of a solid body electric guitar, but not to the extent people seem to believe. I mean unless it's made of MDF, PL premium and auto grade clear coat, I feel as though you're not going to notice the difference between an mahogany or maple neck/ alder or ash body on a solid body electric. As much as you would notice the difference in hardware quality. (There is more than pickups.)
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.