[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most emotional album of all time and why is it Down

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

What is the most emotional album of all time and why is it Down Colorful Hill by the Red House Chili Painters?
>>
>>61549767
not that one
>>
File: cover_23381812112009.jpg (24KB, 455x455px) Image search: [Google]
cover_23381812112009.jpg
24KB, 455x455px
David Sylvian got a divorce from his wife, which destroyed him emotionally and made him go a bit off his rocker, so he recorded pic related which sounds like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrVXtFmjgTo
>>
File: Rwrockbottom.jpg (252KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rwrockbottom.jpg
252KB, 600x600px
>>
but every RHP album that came after is better.
>>
>>61551718
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>61549767
>The daydreaming boy without a shirt on
is Mark gay for Michael?
>>
>>61549767
Down Colorful Hill is a fucking masterpiece, one of my favorite albums.
>>
>>61551752
it's his brother dude

>>61551754
>>61549767
yes it is incredible, easily one of the best pieces of contemporary art ever made

>>61551718
not true by the way

rollercoaster does give it a run for its money though
>>
File: danb.jpg (42KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
danb.jpg
42KB, 270x270px
>>61549767
>>
Down Colourful Hill is a great album as a whole, but Strawberry Hill is the most emotional and in my opinion, the best Red House Painters song ever. Not to say Mark has strokes of music that contest with it, but it's depth and repeatable nature of the song with the added emotional, almost physically crushed tone of the song makes it there best.
>>
>>61549767
>Red House Chili Painters
This is a good meme, thanks OP for exposing me to this fresh daring meme
>>
>>61552810
I didn't notice the meme. I agree it's a pretty good meme with a lot of potential.

Check out Low - I Could Live In Hope for more feely slowcore.
>>
>>61552704
Giles Corey can be damn depressing at times. Love that album
>>
>>61553046
I will not see Red House Painters become a meme
>>
I listen to Epiphany by Staind when I feel sad.
Not really all that similar to Down Colorful Hill though.
>>
Yeah, that album is depressing as fuck. I can't even listen to it. Not because it's bad or anything. I'm just like, ah, no time for that. Too depressing. Have to keep my chin up. Can't listen to that album. Puts me in the dumpster. Emotionally.
>>
Freaky Styley is better honestly
>>
File: fionaapple.jpg (2MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
fionaapple.jpg
2MB, 1280x1280px
>>
>>61549767
>Losing the dream, face to face sleeping
>Losing the dream, open mouth breathing
>Where unadmired beings, dread the due changes ahead
>Where unadmired beings, dread the due changes ahead
>Prayers, prayers for success
>Prayers, prayers always die in time
how are you holding up senpai?
>>
>>61552734
AND HES TOO SCARED TO DRIVE A CAR
ITS OUR DUTY
AS CALIFORNIANS
>>
>>61553046
Fuck off RHP is my favorite band you better fucking not make it a meme
>>
>>61549767
~~~~~ OBJECTIVE RHP ALBUM RANKINGS ~~~~~
Songs For A Blue Guitar > Down Colorful Hill = Rollercoaster > Bridge > Old Ramon > Ocean Beach
>>
File: amc_california.jpg (22KB, 450x426px) Image search: [Google]
amc_california.jpg
22KB, 450x426px
outta my way redhousepainter fucking shits
>>
>>61556523
Switch Colorful Hill with Blue Guitar; and Old Ramon with Bridge and you got yourself a deal.

>>61552734

You're right about Strawberry Hill tho
>>
>>61556523
objectively WRONG that is!

down colorful hill > rollercoaster > ocean beach > old ramon = songs for a blue guitar > bridge

and 4 mark in entirety:
DCH=GotGH>April=Rollercoaster>AFP>OB>MK&D=OR>Benji>SfaBG=ATL>DOT>UT>Bridge=SM
>>
>>61552734
>>61549767
I always preferred Funhouse, since it's a pretty accurate description (sonically and lyrically) of the onset of depression. Or Mother because of the way it sorta slowly shifts from slow-core ballad to ambient drone.

But I guess now that I think about it, is there any track on Rollercoaster that isn't good?

Also, to answer your question, OP. No, it isn't, in so far as that the music and the lyrics only hold so much value as you lend to them. You can never truly know or share the same feeling the artist did when he wrote those lines, though their work can provide an insight into what they might have felt. But overall, it's you who adds meaning to that work and it's significance is always inherently skewed by what values you possess.

Some people might listen to Michael and say, "that's misfortunate, that's just life" and not bat an eyelid or conversely find themselves unable to listen to it because it's too emotional (or even whiny). In either cases, it can't be "the most emotional work ever" because it either doesn't connect or because the listener refuses to listen further and thus can never empirically say it's the best because they don't possess a complete understanding of the work.
>>
>>61556739
>Among The Leaves that low
>Ocean Beach that high
>Fuckin' Ghosts second best release

Good lord man, unfuck yourself!
>>
>>61556739
Also listing Bridge as the SECOND WORST THING he's ever done.

You are handicapped
>>
>>61556838
note that i love everything to the point where even the stuff low on the list is fucking incredible. among the leaves is amazing, has some of his best songs

also what u got against OB and ghosts??? OB has drop, san geronimo, and cabezon aka best intro ever

and fucking ghosts dude, how can you hate on ghosts? literally one 10/10 song after another with 11/10 carry me ohio and 12/10 duk koo kim as the centerpiece and probably magnum opus of his career
>>
I only listened to Down Colorful Hill by RHP and found it boring, repetitive and uninteresting. I'm sure the lyrics are great, but I'm not a native English speaker and I never focus on understanding lyrics when listening to music. Should I check out any other RHP album or might as well not even bother?
>>
>>61556923
Faggot get some taste
>>
>>61556923
even without lyrics it's a musically beautiful work imo. very subtle perfection in each part, beautiful slow movement in each song, and of course some wonderful impassioned vocal performance

it's not really supposed to be exciting. it's like a serene landscape painting or the english countryside; doesn't need action and bombast, no declaration of its beauty, its more quiet and moving in a deep way
>>
>>61549767
I MISS YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU OOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHO MMMIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>61556991

It just doesn't move me at all...

I wasn't exepecting anything exciting, and I don't need music to be that. Hell, Elliott Smith's Either/Or is 10/10 to me. But I found the melodies to be very dull and the songs are too long and repetitive.
>>
>mfw that falsetto about 5 minutes in to the title track
>>
>>61557097
you didnt even like the amazing anthem that is the title track?
>>
>>61557097
? the songs aren't "too long" and they're not really repetitive at all
>>
>>61557097
>>61556923
DCH took a while to grow on me as well. It is a primitive product after all. The first in a long line of Kozelek albums and taken entirely from a demo tape. I think what a lot of people appreciate is its candidacy and rawness.

If you want something a little more nuanced, try Rollercoaster or Ocean Beach. It does take a little while to grow on you though. I think the first time I listened to it, I was like "fuck, I'm never going to get this, maybe slowcore just isn't for me" and such but RHP is one of those bands that keeps dragging you back.

If you really don't like it though, maybe it's just not for you, though.
>>
>>61549979
Dude i love David Sylvian! Too bad he rarely performs anymore :(
>>
>>61557196

>? the songs aren't "too long" and they're not really repetitive at all
>two 10 minute songs that go nowhere
>>
>>61557488
are you just trolling now?
>>
>>61557488
>go nowhere
Jesus Christ man you are a fucking retard
>medicine bottle goes nowhere
What a fucking stupid opinion, Medicine Bottle has an amazing narrative arc that resolves in the best way possible, and Down Colorful Hill resolves itself well as well. Jesus Christ, do you have autism? Or ADD?
>>
>>61557509
Nope.

>>61557541
I'm the guy who isn't a native English speaker and doesn't pay attention to lyrics. As I said abobe, I'm sure the lyrics and narrative are fucking genius, but musically (melody-wise) it just isn't interesting enough.
>>
File: 1325037826922.jpg (13KB, 223x224px) Image search: [Google]
1325037826922.jpg
13KB, 223x224px
>>61557488
>>
>>61551836
>it's his brother dude

Citation please. I remember watching an interview where he said he reunited with the real Michael at a Sun Kil Moon show. So he played the song at the show and apparently the guy started breaking down,crying. It's about an old friend.

Mark wrote it about the unspoken connection male friends have with one another. Even the interviewer talked about how male friendship is a rare topic to go off in songs.
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 975x601px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 975x601px
>Red house chili painters
>>
File: Faust.jpg (44KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Faust.jpg
44KB, 600x600px
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.