[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - Production General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 35

File: GRM-1962.jpg (209KB, 1024x1006px) Image search: [Google]
GRM-1962.jpg
209KB, 1024x1006px
old one is nearing bump limit, so...

Proper Pasta Edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Learn how you can be a programmer and make it in music, discover the secret of getting the very same warm, fuzzy, analogue sound as everyone else, and make that sub bass in a synth, yo!

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy
>>
File: 1451697397393.jpg (22KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451697397393.jpg
22KB, 640x640px
I somewhat finished the track i was working on in the past 2 threads
https://clyp.it/qtazqahi
i feel i'll just overproduce it if i add anything more
>>
i posted this in the last thread but since that one has just died i'll post it here too

i've been making music for a few years now but my drums always sound weak af. Anyone got any good tutorial videos I could watch to make better & stronger sounding drums? I use battery as my drum vst if that makes a difference.
>>
>>61547843
Have you tried sidechaining them?

Bass with the kick, midrange with the snare etc..
>>
File: 65342523452345.png (923KB, 1100x600px) Image search: [Google]
65342523452345.png
923KB, 1100x600px
Can I plug this cord into this synth?
>>
>>61547665
Sounds pretty gewd. Have you tried just dropping everything but maybe a couple elements for a short period to see if that would add some diversity, groove or dynamics to it? I think you're right in saying that you'll overproduce it if you add any more stuff.
>>
>>61547665
>>61548398
Also, it reminds me of some 808 State.
>>
>>61548109
No shit Sherlock. That's a standard iec cable
>>
>>61547830

tune your kicks
use parallel compression
LAYER THAT SHIT.
i like a bit of distortion on a separate buss. decapitator is good for that.

i dunno theres so much shit you can do to drums, individually and as a whole. post an example of what yours sound like and what you're aiming for

and can someone give me some general feedback on some WIPs?

https://clyp.it/ydlln43w

>trying to mostly do some Tchami-esque sound design. future house

https://clyp.it/shb5w5uj

>tried to recreate the song 'Baby You' by MSCLS
>deep house
>>
https://clyp.it/4cnma5np
trying my best 'the field' impression but now where do i go from here guys!!
>>
File: 1445160934690.jpg (30KB, 519x519px) Image search: [Google]
1445160934690.jpg
30KB, 519x519px
how do i get good enough that i don't want to die when i listen to things i've made
everything is so unimaginably bad that i don't ever want to continue making music, but somwhere i feel like i have to
>>
File: meme.jpg (46KB, 600x379px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
46KB, 600x379px
Are dj controllers a meme?
>>
>>61550087
no they're good if you're poor and can't afford $5000 worth of CDJs and mixers. some fags will tell you that sync is cheating but they're fags. get a board and practice a lot. I would suggest tractor because serato has limited controllers and they price jump per feature is retarded
>>
>>61549106
Use a volume envelope to stop the sample from clicking.
>>
File: IMG_5899.jpg (22KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5899.jpg
22KB, 375x360px
>>61547579

i am at a cross roads guys

I am a good DJ but I want to make music. I've tried rapping and signing, but my voice is awkward. My production skill/ music theory is fucking terrible as well. I don't know what to do.

This is my best tracks so far
https://clyp.it/zhx23pjs

Here is one of my mixes. I know I'm not suppose to post soundcloud but forgive me, I can't upload the file type into clip
https://soundcloud.com/very_much/fire-emoji

Should I keep mixing or try to make music. I want to make really huge and luscious prog house but can't get the melodies right
>>
https://clyp.it/ifpw4ayp
can I get some tips on how to improve this? I'm a pleb when it comes to producing, did this on ableton
>>
File: capsule.jpg (77KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
capsule.jpg
77KB, 640x512px
https://clyp.it/nyqzbquv
Something quick I did few days ago, the kick is probably too loud. I need to get monitors.

>>61549106
Z cross the sample to remove the click, add drums, pitch shift the sample to make harmony and add more layers is something I would do.
>>
>>61550415
hey man that sounds nice
>>
recreated part of Danger Doom's "Benzie Box" for fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq8hrg4rO2g

https://clyp.it/xtom5lr1
>>
File: IMG_4952.jpg (65KB, 748x743px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4952.jpg
65KB, 748x743px
advice on where to go from here? I know I have to mix down the bass. I over compensated in the recording

https://clyp.it/r2ixomv2
>>
>>61550266

just be like all the other fucking loser DJs from my home town that want to say they 'produce' and just use fucking loop packs and not know what the fuck you're doing but always post on social media about how you're 'IN THA STUDIO #ONMYGRIND #2016MYYEAR'

fuck you DJ Yosh you poser motherfucker.
>>
alright so im on a tight budget but i want something like sp404 after i get it a mackie 16 channel mixer and a arturia minibrute, anything better for the similair price?
>>
>>61552215
why are you so mad faggot? I never post on social media and don't use loop packs fucker
>>
>>61552237

>mackie 16 channel

honest question: why do you need so many fucking channels? I can' even fill my 12 channel after a 2 synths, a piano, a drum machine
>>
>>61552401
i make dub senpai
>>
anyone got experience with making deep, powerful proper dubstep bass?

like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPh3ZHFE9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKO3-2w-78E

how does kahn get the bass to be so powerful? what software/techniques? any advice appreciated
>>
>>61550266
>>61552336
>>61552215
>professionally compiled and recorded loops
>not using, eq'ing and chopping these loops
wowlol
>>
>>61550266
keep at it. you can learn some basic theory online (or even advanced theory) and it'll probably help and production skill is literally just a matter of sitting down and absorbing youtube videos on the types of sounds you want to make.

shit you probably have some decent synths already that you just don't know how to use. Sit down and fuck with it man, it's a struggle but a worthwhile one.
>>
File: e.jpg (87KB, 537x600px) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
87KB, 537x600px
>>61550615
Thanks
>>
>>61552450
It's just a matter of keeping your sub underneath everything else and doing the compression right.
Trial and error.
You can use literally any software.
>>
Thinking about leaping into production in spacey synth music. I'm not interested in using plug-ins but pure analogue.

What synth brand should I start with. Arturia, Moog or Roland

Leaning towards Moog and maybe getting a Sub Phatty
>>
>>61550951
Drums too dry, bass too overtone-y.
>>
>>61553955
Just make sure you mean analog and you're not just thinking of regular hardware. Most affordable analog stuff being produced nowadays is monophonic.
>>
Why aren't there more analogue 808 clones on the market?
I mean it seems like a piece of cake to make some box and program a bunch of basic waveforms in it, people would buy that shit ngl
>>
Can someone give me some tips on cohesively mastering a 5 track EP?
Not sending it off to a label or anything, just trying to get good on my own.

So just use the same compression/EQ/imaging/limiter settings on the master track for each track?
Or should I render them all separately at -3db and put them all in a new project and master them in that one?
>>
>>61548398
Thanks.
Yeah i know some parts should be more scarce, but i was having trouble making some of the instruments sound good on their own, so i kind of had to combine them throughout the lenght of the track
>>
>>61554328
the latter one
workflow depends on your DAW and tools but it's the most common practice to put the bounced files on seperate tracks and master each individually while comparing to get a consistent result
>>
>>61547843
'parallel compression' look up a tutorial video
>>
>>61552237
i finally decided to just save my 404 speech instead of writing it out every time so here you go, my thoughts on why i didnt like the 404 as a sampler

you can sample at a specified tempo, but not resample at one. so when you're resampling or sampling at a non-specified tempo it will display a whole number as the tempo but there is actually a decimal point you can't see, so loops that say they're the same tempo can go out of sync. you can't record a new sample while another sample is playing (no playing a synth or drums or whatever over a sample and recording it onto a pad). you can only resample up to 4 samples at once, 2 if they're in stereo, and you can't resample a recorded pattern, only playing in real time. the start and endpoint knobs only do fine adjustments of like 100ms, other than that you have to play the sample through and hit the marker button to mark start and end points or exit and re-enter the start/end point menu to keep using the knobs to take off another 100ms. there's also no sampling across multiple pads or dividing an existing sample across multiple pads, so you would have to do what i just mentioned with a longer sample you recorded and keep duplicating it to new pads, unless you were going to stop the audio on whatever you were sampling from and restart it every time you recorded a new sample (also if you were to do this, it forgets the tempo you specified for each new sample). other than that, the pitch and timeshifting just never really sounded that great to me.
>>
>>61554328
As someone who professionally does this, my first question is "How important is this EP to you?"

Have you put in effort to write and produce the tracks? Is a part of yourself clearly in it?

If so, or you're considering trying to launch a career with it, get it done professionally.

Mastering is not just 'making it loud'. Mastering is the final quality control, where the sonic signature across all the tracks are balanced through EQ and compression, and that they fit the required standards for your release medium.

If you wanted to dabble in it yourself, I would start with your 'best' track, or your single, and take the rendered 2-track mix (without any compression or limiting on the master bus) and put it into a new project.

From there, apply EQ, compression, and anything else that's required and render it. Ideally, you should be comparing it to a similar commercial release, to get a competitive sonic signature.

After that, open each subsequent track in a new project and do it again, this time comparing to your first mastered track.

After they're all done, load them all into one project file and compare them.

Good luck.
>>
>>61547843
Watch some Pensados place, he's got a ton of drum videos that will really help
>>
>>61553955
>Thinking about leaping into production
>analog
It's an expensive hobby.
>>
>>61549853
Hours, man.
>>
Trying to get some constructive feedback on this thing i've been working on for too long. Pretty happy with it but I'm thinking the beginning might be too boring and maybe it could even do without the 808s and have some sort of a bassline instead. Or maybe just a reconfiguration of the 808s. Any tips appreciated!

https://clyp.it/2rgtswg1
>>
File: 71euhytJRxL._SL1500_.jpg (129KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
71euhytJRxL._SL1500_.jpg
129KB, 1500x1125px
I'm continuing my question from the last /prod/ because I am still not quite sure what I'm going to do.

----

"Also wanted to add that the pic related is a MIDI controller I'm torn about getting versus getting a keyboard workstation that I can both practice music on AND do MIDI.

Pic related is fully focused on MIDI controlling and nothing else, hence all of the features you see. It has semi-weighted keys, aftertouch, wheels, drum pads, etc...

I'm thinking to just practice music with my controller + softsynth rather than spending a shitload on a workstation, but I am still not sure."

----

>Sounds like you should go with a workstation. It can work as your midi controller and do everything else you want it to so you won't have to worry about compromising. I had a similar decision to make and went with a workstation and haven't been disappointed.

----

>you're overthinking this my dude

>IMHO tying yourself to one method of producing is retarded. A lot of producers will use a combination of software and hardware. Myself, I use my gear to lay down 85% of my sounds and a DAW for mixing and additional sounds

>Also, this "muh old school" sounds like nostalgia glasses bullshit desu. As far as DAWs and computing power goes, what we have today is something most producers in the 90's would have only dreamed of. There is nothing wrong with working in a workstation, or using vintage/old school gear, but if you do, don't just say "I like old school", specially when you're so indecisive about the whole thing. Old school was tedious and frustating as fuck.
WORKSTATION OR MIDI CONTROLLER?
>>
File: 71uQO6jHTCL._SX522_.jpg (18KB, 522x157px) Image search: [Google]
71uQO6jHTCL._SX522_.jpg
18KB, 522x157px
>>61557544
debating between either the alesis midi controller or pic related yamaha workstation
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66iV3wuWWuc

How did El-P make that sound that starts at 0:07? That strange eerie sound
>>
File: 1451517715465.png (6KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1451517715465.png
6KB, 600x600px
>>61557749
sounds like a quick loop of a voice that slowly pitches down, but i could be totally wrong / you could be talking about a different noise
>>
>>61550153
>>61550087
digital djing is a meme

anyone can pick songs to play
>>
>>61557544
15+ year synth player here
midi keyboard controllers are typically shit, especially the ones that have a bunch of feature other than "keys"

workstation synths can be used as a midi controller, and they will be built better.
>>
>>61558232
wouldn't it be better to just get a digital piano?
>>
>>61558291
maybe if you are a piano player already, or specifically want to play the piano. otherwise weighted, 61+ keys won't add much benefit.
>>
>>61558163
>anyone can pick songs to play
that's just not true
most people that aren't professional DJs just queue some random flavor of the month tracks they like, with no regard to who will be listening.
Being a good selector is an art in itself
>>
>>61558232

>workstation synths can be used as a midi controller, and they will be built better.

So, you're saying I should opt for a keyboard workstation instead?
The thing is, I am trying to use my keyboard both as a MIDI controller and I also want to practice music theory/piano on the same keyboard.

I am just worried that if I get a keyboard workstation -- it will be lacking on features that a 'fully-loaded' MIDI controller will have since the MIDI controller will be fully focused on MIDI and nothing else.

OR -- here's another thought; should I get both a MIDI controller AND a keyboard workstation?
I've been trying to come to a conclusion about this issue for days, and I really want to make a decision, but I still have no idea.
>>
File: logic x book.png (890KB, 595x740px) Image search: [Google]
logic x book.png
890KB, 595x740px
Am I a huge noddle if I buy this book?

I've casually used FL Studio for years...for 10 years off and on. Everthing I know in FL was learned through trial and error...I know how to use the sequencer, pianio role, and a few effects but not much honestly for how long I've used it.

Would a book like this help me out? Have any of you learned this way?

I've heard great things about Logic and think it's the next step for me
>>
>>61559082
nah for real just put in dem hours
>>
>>61559082
>I've casually used FL Studio for years...for 10 years off and on. Everthing I know in FL was learned through trial and error...I know how to use the sequencer, pianio role, and a few effects but not much honestly for how long I've used it.
10 years and you didn't read the FL manual. For real?
>>
>>61558851
>Being a good selector is an art in itself
keep telling yourself that, DJ-kun
playing bits of other people's music sure is an art
>>
>>61559041
a workstation synth will most likely have knobs and faders. As long as they send midi data, you can use those to control software.

the only 'modern' features a new midi keyboard controller might have is dedicated transport controls (play/record/navigation) and drum pads. if you want those feature, just buy a dedicated device for them. you can probably get them for around $50.

also, you'd probably save tons a few hundred $ if you got an older used workstation vs new.
>>
>>61559411
To an appreciate audience? It is. Having and disseminating taste isn't easy; incorporating flow into it makes things even harder.

You don't go out much, do you?
>>
Torrenting sample packs is an art in itself.
>>
I made a recording with a microphone and want to send it to a friend.
It sounds too muddy when I listen to the file and wanted to edit it out in studio one.
The problem is, without touching anything, the file already sounds super crisp in studio one, but not in any generic audio player. After exporting the mixdown it still sounds muddy.
What's up?
>>
>>61553955

If you have no experience with synth programming I would suggest getting some virtual analog vsts to mess with until you have a better idea of what you want to do.

There's very little in the way of really affordable analog gear that's really worth it in the long term, and the cheap stuff is of negligible benefit to software (and much worse in some ways).

This is coming from a guy who uses 100% hardware btw.
>>
File: 3rd best black saxophone.jpg (94KB, 648x394px) Image search: [Google]
3rd best black saxophone.jpg
94KB, 648x394px
>tfw the new sl1200 is gonna cost 4000 euro
>>
>>61559082
read your fucking manual, you silly cunt.
>>
File: index.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
I'm a scientist working in a lab, and I'd like to start using samples from my work (clinking stir bars, whirring tensiometer, etc) to make music. I have FL Studio on my work computer, but I'm not sure how to get good quality samples. Is there an app for iOS that could tell me if stuff I'm recording is too loud/ quiet?
>>
File: 1436993345192.gif (833KB, 354x270px) Image search: [Google]
1436993345192.gif
833KB, 354x270px
>>61559457
I think I have come to a conclusion folks.
I feel like since I'm still learning and a beginner in some regards, it might be a wiser choice to go with a controller and acquaint myself with music theory at home with my controller + DAW and then get a workstation later on when I'm feeling more adventurous.

What do you think about that? I mean, getting a high end controller will STILL be cheaper than a decent workstation, and the variety of softsynths out there leaves me with seemingly limitless opportunity. I think in the spot I am, choosing a workstation is a bit of an exaggeration, right?
As long as I can get myself set up, I think I should be good with a 61/88 key controller.

Now, I just don't know which controllers to invest my $ into. I feel like only a real piano player would find the 88-key ones useful.
>>
>>61559956
>music theory
remember that theory came after music was already made. People were wondering why something sounded as it did and devised theories.
>>
>>61560385
You're right, and I want to educate myself in that regard so I can get a better grasp of what I'm doing.
>>
>>61559933
Since you are already using FL, why not learn to monitor the mixer meters?
>>
>>61559082
1. Manual
2. SeamlessR on YouTube.
>>
>>61559956
you'll get more for your money if you buy a synth instead of a midi controller

just try to find a cheap midi synth on ebay. it will cost the same or less than a 'good' new midi keyboard controller.

here is a good one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Yamaha-CS-1X-Keyboard-Perfect-Working-Worldwide-Shipment-/252137736738?hash=item3ab4948a22:g:Q8gAAMXQlgtS8OvQ
>>
>>61559956
i kind of dont get why anyone would want a workstation, they seem to cost as much as a decent laptop and a controller would cost you
>>
>>61561412
because most of the decent ones work as a midi controller
>>
>>61561412
some people are more hands on than others, so the price is easily justifiable. especially if you're already used to a hardware workflow.
>>
>>61561531
ANY midi keyboard can be a midi controller
>>
>>61561579
i am talking about midi i/o port

not all of them have it
>>
>>61559462
kek
knowing how to make a good playlist is not some elite skill. neither is hitting a cue button.

to be a dj now, the only real learning curve is knowing how the controller functions
>>
File: 10518488_800.jpg (77KB, 820x591px) Image search: [Google]
10518488_800.jpg
77KB, 820x591px
I want some toy to play without a computer, a modern groovevox.

I have 2 candidates:

novation circute
korg electribe

what will you recommend?
>>
>>61561640
the best thing you can do is to have backup tracks ready incase the crowd isnt feeling it
>>
>>61561602
please show me a synth made in the past 25 years without midi i/o

protip: you can't
>>
Hey prod so I have a bit of a problem with my music
I've been making beats for about a year and a half and I feel like I don't have a lot of direction. I know artists that make me happy and make me want to make music but I get behind my laptop and can't make any music that I personally enjoy. everything I make is just boring and tasteless nowadays.

Here's a list of my favorite artists just so you know what kind of music I'm akin to.
Bladee, Black Kray, Playboi carti, Yung lean, spooky black, and some Chester Watson. and then also some Roger Geressen and CC Not.

I've had such a bad creativity block and I don't feel excited about music right now and it's very discouraging.
>>
>>61561698
i would pick the novation, just because the interface seems more user friendly.
>>
>>61561640
Well there's a big difference between headlining Ultra and the more discerning crowd you'd find at, like, Berghain. The medium makes being good exceedingly easy; still, it's just as hard to be brilliant at it as it is at any other instrument.

Honestly, not to be _that guy_, but if you want to hear a fantastic DJ set, look up the one Bjork did for Tri Angle records just recently.
>>
>>61561757
youre a retarded faggot

usb cotnrollers are not not midi i/o

they need to have the port and you need to spend atleast 300$ for one with a midi port
>>
>>61561726
>>
What are the points of analog synths? Everything an analog can do a DAW can do plus more.
>>
>>61561905
>i sound like shit
>is it b/c of my equipment, or me?
now, do you understand?
>>
>>61561962
>>61561905
i can't even tell who's trolling who
>>
>>61561832
>SYNTH

no one is talking about usb faggot
>>
>>61562016
yes you were

>>61561579
>ANY midi keyboard can be a midi controller
>>
>>61561905
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNNFLHV6j1I
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 354x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 354x604px
Where can I get good midi drum patterns, synths and pianos patterns?
>>
NAMM in 2 weeks.

who hype?
>>
File: nina-kraviz-7close.jpg (23KB, 220x248px) Image search: [Google]
nina-kraviz-7close.jpg
23KB, 220x248px
>>61561826
>if you want to hear a fantastic DJ set
>look up the one Bjork did for Tri Angle records
>Bjork did
>fantastic DJ set
>for Tri Angle records
>Bjork
>Tri Angle
>fantastic
wth am i reading
>>
>>61562073
you write them yourself.
>>
>>61562126
I'm specifically looking for 'good' ones, but thanks
>>
>>61562090
i am, but it also made me realize how fast a year went by
>>
>>61562059
where did i say usb?

fuck man, even so, midi over usb is midi. you can still use it to control other midi devices. how much of a noob are you?
>>
>>61562197
its not midi i/o
>>
>>61561826
you are trolling, r-right?
>>
>>61562126
>>61562161
Not me. I want midis so I can learn how to make the sounds I want.
>>
>>61562229
noob confirmed
>>
>>61562236
you do know that there is no sound contained in midi data, right?
>>
can someone please tell me what sort of midi gear will i need to make not just edm but real art that makes you think?
>>
>>61562110
Implying producers know anything about mixing

Some of the worst sets out there are made by edm producers. They just cut directly into the next track. Maybe a filter if you're lucky. Sounds like pig shit
>>
>>61562255
whatever you say kid

you cannot control a synth with midi i/o through a fucking usb

you are stupid
>>
>>61562126
you learn the best when copying others when starting out desu senpai imo baka
>>
>>61562277
see
>>61562255
>>
>>61562257
Yes. I put the midi into my daw. Look at the notes and figure out how to make the patterns.
>>
>>61562277
>what is massive through maschine controller
>>
>>61562265
now you seem to be the edm and shitty sets expert around here but
>Implying Bjork is any better
>>
>>61562060
blah blah blah blah blah

Nigga loves to hear himself talk holy shit.
>>
>>61562317
>implying any edm sets are good
>>
File: BASS.jpg (251KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
BASS.jpg
251KB, 480x720px
>>61562343
wont argue with u mate
youre the edm expert mate
big ups for knowledge
>>
File: childcancer.jpg (12KB, 436x158px) Image search: [Google]
childcancer.jpg
12KB, 436x158px
god damn are the kids still on break from school or something?

/prod/ seems much worse than usual.
>>
>>61562343
that's not what i was implying btw ;^>
>>
File: monomidi.jpg (128KB, 395x500px) Image search: [Google]
monomidi.jpg
128KB, 395x500px
>>61562399
we mono midi now
>>
File: midiport.jpg (9KB, 272x127px) Image search: [Google]
midiport.jpg
9KB, 272x127px
>>61562315
>>61562298
>>61562255
>>61562197
>>61562016
>>61561757

learn what midi i/o is kids

then try to troll
>>
>>61562467
>>61562491
great, this guy is back...
>>
File: faggot.png (60KB, 460x526px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.png
60KB, 460x526px
>>61562509
>>
>>61562467
>>61562491
midi is shit gramps
>>
>midifags
>can't play an instrument so they use a computer to fix their mistakes
>claim they are musicians/producers/djs all at the same time

this is why bleep bloops aren't real music
>>
>>61562604
surely someone will take this expertly crafted bait
>>
>>61562604
i play guitar and piano
>>
>>61562533
>look i know how to use photoshop
>>
>>61562604
>spending years to learn one instrument
>not learning many
>not learning how to assemble tracks
>not utilizing technology to streamline production process

Go play guitar in the quad
>>
>>61562703
>photoshop
>not just editing the html
>>
File: gear.jpg (400KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gear.jpg
400KB, 750x1000px
what gear is everyone using at the moment?
>>
>>61562604
>wheelfags
>can't walk 120 miles so they use a car to teleport them there

this is why automobiles aren't real transportation
>>
>>61562723
i play the keyboard and the bass
>>
>>61562842
>claim they are guitarists/bassists/violinists all at the same time

lol get out
>>
>>61562842
i want to get a bass but i dont know what brands are decent

i only have bought guitars before
>>
>>61562871
He fell for the singer songwriter meme
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>61562776
I'm using maschine and a midi keyboard.

I use maschine daw
>>
>>61562776
holy fuck i <3 your setup
is that a minimoog???
>>
>>61562871
guess other people who can actually play an instrument feel the same way about computer musicians
>"so we have a bassist, guitar/vocal, keyboard, drummer, and anon, who plays the computer"

>>61562937
http://www.spectorbass.com/

>>61562947
so you're saying you can't write songs? I bet this is what 90% of you """producers""" do
>google: minor/major scale chord progressions
>copy them
>bass plays root note quarter beats entire song
>fuck around with pirated VSTs until you get something that vaguely matches the sound you had in your head

I've heard you niggas in the soundcloud threads and shit. A lot of the songs posted suck because anons don't play instruments so they don't know what they're doing lol
>>
>>61563020
Not him but it looks like a Moog Phatty
>>
>>61563081
pls post your bandcamp mr musician :^)

>inb4 doesn't
>>
>>61563020

Looks like a Sub 37 Tribute
>>
>>61563081
watch out everyone he used the word 'niggas' he is a hardcore renaissance man from the streets who is not to be trifled with who means business omg wow
>>
>>61563081
Yea I can't write songs. I want to learn how to do it. That's why I'm asking. I realize my songs suck so that's why I need to learn theory. Midi helps me learn through a hands on approach/ visualizing th concept
>>
>>61563081
>wasting computer talent on being in a band
guitar+bass+vocal+drum+keyboard bands are played out and dead
>>
>>61563081
i dont get why people think one or the other is superior desu its still music
>>
>>61562776
How do you like the midi lighter? Is it like a drum pad? Would it compliment a keyboard?
>>
>>61562996
can you use a midi keyboard with maschine? never used it before...
>>
>>61561775
bump
>>
>>61563185
Because when you listen to a real band play that's the Superiour Sound of Practice you're hearing up there sonny.
>>
>>61563155
look up music theory for computer musicians

it uses piano roll and i think it is a decent
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>61563193
There are midi inputs in the back. I've never done it I use a usb keyboard. Inv4 midi circle jerk.
>>
>>61563145
sub 37 has more knobs
>>
>>61563208
Thanks for the actually advice friend. I appreciate it
>>
>>61563129
don't have one, working on some songs though have a couple ~80% finished. Gonna buy some more gear and start recording real soon though.

>>61563155
midi helps with putting the final touches and making sure all the details are in order but you _should_ be able to lay down the groundwork for the song by finding the chords/bass notes without midi, at least in my experience
>>
File: 1429381998663.jpg (14KB, 339x351px) Image search: [Google]
1429381998663.jpg
14KB, 339x351px
>>61563208
>piano roll
>>
>>61563145
i think it might be a little phatty since the sub 37 doesn't come in that color scheme.
>>
File: artisticintegrity.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
artisticintegrity.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>61563194
sometimes you realise you just don't have any artistic integrity and that is okay. music is just a hobby anyway
>>
>>61563267
yea instead of musical notation
>>
File: 1434820812861.jpg (64KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1434820812861.jpg
64KB, 960x960px
>>61563300
>using piano roll or western musical notation
>2016
mfw
>>
File: midifightertwister.jpg (460KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
midifightertwister.jpg
460KB, 1200x900px
>>61563020
thx its a moog little phatty stage 2

>>61563190
the midi fighter twister is amazing. I don't know why more people don't talk about it. thinking about getting another one.

right now i have it setup as a channel strip for the selected track.

Geen is track vol
Yellow is pan
Orange are sends
Blue is HPF, LPF, Mid freq/boost, Comp amount/parallel/sidechain, and Saturation
>>
>>61563383
What do you suggest fgt
>>
>>61563402
Holy shit that sounds really useful. I hate fucking off with all the sub menus to do this shit
>>
File: image.png (355KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
355KB, 500x500px
How do I make my tracks sound more organic like MURA masa? Is it mixing?
>>
>>61563502
probably the style vocals and not adhering to the grid as much
>>
>>61548910

no critique for mah shit??
>>
>>61563266
>80% finished
>haven't started recording yet
kek

maybe you shouldn't slam producers when you haven't even gotten to that stage yet...
>>
>>61563681
Don't expect actual advice from this shit site. Everyone wants to circle jerk a me fight. Reddit actually provides a good amount of feedback on their edm production subreddit
>>
>>61563726
songwriting aspect is done which is the bulk of the work

producers? the guys I am describing are not producers. They are the DJ equivalent of that guy strumming guitar chords on the quad and i'll slam them too m8

We've recorded some demos but it's pretty low quality and not on my computer
>>
File: outsideexpression.gif (954KB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
outsideexpression.gif
954KB, 375x211px
>>61563727
>edm production
>reddit
>>
https://clyp.it/onyattio
>noise dnb 165bpm fm synthesis
Is it too slow? How do I make an intro for this sort of shit??
>>
>>61564137
sounds good

i'd prefer it had more kick and snare cutting thru.

as for intro ideas, maybe take that rendered audio file back into your project, down pitch to -12ct and time stretch it a bunch, apply some filtering, and add a drone-y bass swell
>>
>>61564137
transpose the intro to light my fire in the appropriate key
>>
>>61563988
seriously this

there might be faggots here today but there is usually quite a few people to give decent critique and advice in these threads

it wont be any better on reddit for sure if anything people are going to lie to you to make you feel better or not even respond to your post
>>
>>61554412
I totally understand that. Sometimes you just have to in order to make things sound good.
>>
>>61564558
>it wont be any better on reddit for sure
but it is though, there's a dedicated production shitposting subreddit and an actual production subreddit
>>
>>61548910
>>61563681
your shit sounds alright, the clap has a weird crunch to the end of the hit that i find offputting but thats just me

the bassline is nice sounds vibsing as fuck

the white noise sweep is fitting but i would replace that would synth of some sort but thats just me

the kick is pumping through the bassline nicely and it the arp (?) compliments the rest of the mix quite well

>the intro is boring as hell tho

>some neurofunky/jump up stuff ive been fucking with the past few hours
>https://clyp.it/cmlk103h
>>
What would compliment this melody?

https://clyp.it/nmsjtuop

Other critique & advice is welcome too.
>>
>>61566713
I don't like this style at all, but if that's what you're going for I'd recommend wonkier drums. Keep it house but get that off kilter low quality shit with more variation. This melody makes you sound new though so if you really want to push this idea into full song you should really focus on making great drums. Essentially be Mr. Oizo
>>
>>61565815
if it's that much better then why are you still here?
>>
>>61565815
they a weekly feedback thread dude

i just looked

that is shit, atleast here you can post whenever you want and eventually somone willl post feedback
>>
File: 1448976568638.jpg (266KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1448976568638.jpg
266KB, 1280x1707px
>>61557749
Its a glissando voice put through a telephone-like filter (highs or lows cut) and a tremolo that is timed to the tempo of the track doing semi quavers.
>>
>>61567813
>highs *and lows
>>
>>61566713
Sounds like you have no musicianship
>>
>>61567062
Usually I try to make nice melodies but sometimes I get bored and think "I'm gonna be weird with this." It's probably not something most people would listen to, but I think it's good as a challenge. The wonkier drums is a really good idea. Thank you for that. I'll try to add some variation. Do you mean same melody but with different sound, or? I'm pretty new considering it's only been almost a year since I've started trying music. I enjoy making drums, so I'll give it a go. I love Mr. Oizo. It wasn't until after I created the sound that I noticed a similarity. I think it's in my soul. Thanks again!
>>
>>61567874
I certainly don't, haha. Trust me...
>>
be good
>>
>>61567954
it just takes self disciplining

this is the main reason why people reccomend you take lessons with a real teacher in person because they really stress on musicianship
>>
>>61566713

Very promising. You'll be fine, just keep working at it. I think the melody could be condensed to a shorter loop, don't hang too tight on that bassline, it doesn't really work.
>>
>>61568105
ok
>>
>>61563502

there are quite a few simple ways to go about it, but basically you need to oh my god she's building a brick house
>>
>>61568133
I believe that! Hopefully I can one day. I learn best that way. Right now, it just feels like experimenting and getting "experience".

>>61568168
Thank you! So maybe half of it's self? I'm never quite sure how long a melody can be and when a length is appropriate. Do you suggest making the bassline less simple then?
>>
>>61563502
SAVED. FUCKIN SAVED. Thank you for this pic, anon.
Thread posts: 191
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.