[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

memes aside, what is /mu/ opinion on Nirvana?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 8

File: Nirvana-Image.jpg (92KB, 750x503px) Image search: [Google]
Nirvana-Image.jpg
92KB, 750x503px
memes aside, what is /mu/ opinion on Nirvana?
>>
>>61540473
bretty gud
>>
>>61540473
Krist definitely made the band
>>
>>61540473
heroin
>>
Not garbage, but overrated
>>
I honestly feel that it is more pleb to blindly hate Nirvana because they are the easiest band to call overrated. Therefore, the plebs who think that they truly have good taste in music will turn to calling Nirvana shit before anything else...Although there is another tier of pleb above that which is blindly believing that Kurt was a songwriting god and they are the greatest band of all time without understanding the reasoning behind it. In my opinion its best to accept Nirvana for what it is and decide for yourself if you like it or hate it because its a band that is so easy to be divided on.
>>
>>61541306
Bretty gud mate
>>
never got to make a really good record because Cobain had to go and kill himself right when they were starting to get good.
>>
>>61540473
In Utero > Nevermind > MTV Unplugged in New York > Bleach > Incesticide
>>
>>61541306
Holy shit this.
>>
>>61541360
MTV Unplugged and Nevermind switch
>>
>>61541355
In Utero was a really good record
>>
The MTV live album is not even debatable. You could dislike Nirvana for whatever reasons but I really doubt anyone could genuinely not like that concert, its good start to finish
>>
loved MTV Unplugged, liked In Utero, and parts of Nevermind but you can forget about Bleach really
>>
>>61541471
The same should be said for Nevermind. It's such a well written, well put together album.
>>
>>61541569
this, its got the best production of all their albums too
>>
>>61541435
Its their best by far but I honestly think they would have only gone up from there
albini did so much for them
>>
I like their songs but the guitar playing is kind of shitty
>>
>>61541684
Sure they had all the signs of progression, but in reality they already had their masterpiece.
>>
>>61541624
this is bait right? right? you can hear the shit editing Vig did with the jarring cuts in Smells like teen spirit
>>
>>61541746
none of their instrumentation is really all that complex but it also isn't supposed to be
>>
>>61541809
lmao literally where

yeah of course son this song has been heard by hundreds of millions of people and you're the first person to ever notice this

sure
>>
>>61541746
>>61541833
The instrumentation did vastly improve on In Utero though. Imagine an album with Pat Smear.
>>
>>61541847
it's also possible that he heard some shitty remaster
>>
>>61541879
this entire thread makes me wonder where they would have gone and I can't imagine any way but up
>>
>>61540473
shit band that started to many shit trends.
>>
>>61542037
I'll agree that the amount of people who essentially copied their formula suck, but they themselves didn't suck
>>
I really enjoy Nevermind and In Utero! Both at least 7's in my book.

I think I enjoy In Utero more, my favorite Nirvana songs are
Sappy
Come As You Are
Heart Shaped Box
Scentless Apprentice
You Know You're Right
>>
kurt cobain is an incredibly influential human being, and not in a good way

he made being a loser cool. because unlike almost every other loser ever, he was attractive, charismatic, rich and famous

i honestly think he is the single biggest influence on this board's entire culture for example when you look at his sense of humour, taste in music etc. if he was born 20 years later he'd be a tripfag
>>
>>61541306
/thread
>>
>>61542286
I think he, as the figurehead and creative force behind Nirvana, helped to spawn the grunge boom of the late 80s-early 90s. He served as the generation's posterboy and martyr and I doubt it would have lasted as long as it did without him.
>>
>>61541306
If only all of /mu/ was like this
>>
Never heard of them
>>
Pretty good. They make music that I enjoy listening to on occasion.
>>
>>61540473
Best band of all time
>>
>>61542286
>if he was born 20 years later he'd be a tripfag
damn...
>>
>>61540473
Shallow, fun stuff that I've grown tired of.
>>
>>61540473
quality
>>
>>61542571
thas bretty gud
>>
>>61541306
Nice pasta
>>
File: 1411861279967.jpg (121KB, 734x549px) Image search: [Google]
1411861279967.jpg
121KB, 734x549px
I really like MTV Unplugged. I wish they could have explored more into that but Kurt went and offed himself.

I remember my parents telling me how annoying it was when they would watch MTV and constantly see the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video because people would call in and vote for it.
>>
>>61540752
Agreed, I like a bit of their music, but the only reason they got so big is because some edgy fuck shot himself.
>>
>>61541624
>sampled drums
>gimmicky carried over sfx from the 80s throughout the album
>best nirvana album production wise

that's like saying doolittle is the best pixies album production-wise.
>>
File: 1478302947675.jpg (122KB, 325x717px) Image search: [Google]
1478302947675.jpg
122KB, 325x717px
>>61540473
Mtv Unplugged= Mediocre poprock covers
>>
>>61543493
>got so big
They were already big idiot. Ever heard of that album Nevermind that sold 30 million copies?
>>
>>61540473
Nirvana was great in many ways but i do not understand what goes through the minds of people like that diiv guy who still idolises kurt well after the age of 16.
>>
>>61543283
damn billy corgan used to be black?
>>
IS THERE
>>
>>61543577
Shotgun Effect

According to kurt, nirvana sold 10 millons until december of 1993
>>
>>61543696
>According to kurt, nirvana sold 10 millons until december of 1993
What?
>>
pretty good band overall. They got better as they went on, and if they could've topped In Utero we would have a masterpiece. Favourite songs are Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Breed, Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle, and Blew.
>>
>>61543765

"I don't blame any kid for thinking that a person who sells 10 million records is a millionaire and set for the rest of his life. But it's not the case. I spent a million dollars last year, and I have no idea how I did it. Really. I bought a house for $400,000. Taxes were another $300,000 ā€” something. What else? I lent my mom some money. I bought a car. That was about it"
>>
>>61543890
I don't see your point, 10 million in 2 years is extremely successful.
>>
>>61544265
Yes, Kurt is so dumb sometimes...he didn't think he was going to be making money in the future? Surely he knew that Nirvana would continue to sell for decades.
>>
>>61543890
>That was about it
Something tells me that that was not "about it" at all.
>>
>>61543493
They were already one of the top ten biggest bands in the world a full two and a half years before he died.
>>
>>61540473
Favourite band all though I do think in utero is a tiny bit overrated my personal favourites are
Come as you are
Dive
Sappy
Radio friendly unit shifter
Lounge act
Lithium
Negative creep
>>
Anyone else feel they were misunderstood for rebellious teenage punks when they were far more poetic and artistic
>>
>>61540473
In my opinion Kurt was murdered
>>
>>61544265
Just 10 million with 2 records (counting also bleach and insecticide), not so much
>>
>>61540473
Decent band with the best marketing team of all time.
The PR work that went into creating their image as some kind of "anti mainstream, anti corporate, rebellious, subversive artists" while at the same time being MTV darlings and selling millions of pop records somehow worked too good, it's quite unbelievable.
But because of this they have the worst fanbase ever.
The myths and idol worship are absolutely ridiculous and people that espouse them sound like complete morons.
>>
>>61544690
No he was specifically talking about Nevermind. Besides In Utero had been out for a month at the point and the other's sales were negligible.
>>
>>61544562
Yeah Kurt was a true artist and his artistry is often times overlooked. Montage of Heck fortunately helped showcase it well.
>>
>>61544690
Bullshit. It doesn't matter if it's out of a pool of 30 albums. Having sold 10 million copies of your record(s) in 2 years is very successful.
>>
how much did geffen profit off of cobain's death?
>>
>>61544915
About as much as he got for Lennon. Geffen is a dangerous man.
>>
>>61541306
/thread desu
>>
>>61543575
baka
>>
File: 2kurt.jpg (42KB, 470x478px) Image search: [Google]
2kurt.jpg
42KB, 470x478px
>>61541306
>>
File: B3lePrBCAAIzNOn.png (423KB, 599x436px) Image search: [Google]
B3lePrBCAAIzNOn.png
423KB, 599x436px
>Memes aside
>Posts Nirvana
>>
I like them. They're not really my favorite but I enjoy how their music sounds. Also Kurt is an incredibly beautiful dude, yes homo.
>>
One of the better pop bands of the early 90s.
>>
File: mem.png (125KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mem.png
125KB, 500x500px
>>61545531
>not posting the appropriate Costanza
>>
perfect driving music
>>
>>61544713

i dunno man, sonic youth were on geffen at the same time - it's not like this was all a big secret plan, geffen never expected nirvana to get as big as they did

i do think the production on the album helped a lot

then the teen spirit video came out better than expected, and the kids just fell in love with kurt
>>
Damn good Pixies rip off.
>>
>>61544324
>Yes, Kurt is so dumb sometimes...

not anymore he isn't. but all jokes aside, the dichotomy between his professional and personal life is insane. professionally, he made every right decision to get as much fame and fortune as possible, but when it came to his personal life he fucked up every time. Developing an out of control heroin habit, marrying Courtney Love, treating his body like shit, having a child at height of his drug habit, it was all so wrong. I wonder what the fuck was going through his head where he needed to numb himself 24/7. How fucked up is your inner monologue that you shoot yourself before having any time to enjoy the success you worked so hard for

>>61544343
Heroin addicts all think they're good at hiding their addictions because they can't see the toll the drug is taking on their bodies. I would assume he spent thousands of dollars per month on heroin that year. It's insane that he thought he could appear clean and sober to the media and that he thought he would be able to be a good father when he couldn't even take care of himself
>>
>>61541306
damn...
>>
>>61545852
He was a smart man with a shitty example of family life. His family is what fucked him.
>>
File: Y.png (13KB, 175x178px) Image search: [Google]
Y.png
13KB, 175x178px
They are one of my favorite bands but really shouldn't have ever been famous, they didn't like it, they didn't really strive for it, and it ruined Nevermind's production. They only ever wanted to be another Punk band but got raped by fame and record companies and were forced to fight for a less pop sound on In Utero with Steve Albini. People bag on them constantly and say they aren't creative or artistic but seldom have I seen anyone show me a band who takes the elements of noise rock, and incorporate it so well with elements of sludge metal and punk-esque playing. , and Kurt's lyrics, may be just jumbled random phrases, but I think it's best that way because it leaves room for personal interpretation and isn't the same old pseudo-meaningful spoon fed message. But that's just my two cents.
>>
Dave Grohl raped my mother back in 1993 when he was hanging out at a bar. She said Kurt was fucked up on drugs and Courtney wasn't there. I was born in 1992 and my dad broke up with my mom because apparently was raging drunk and only stopped when she wanted to have a kid. She started drinking heavy again when I was like 5. But she would still sleep around (another reason my dad left her) and she went to some party one night and met Grohl and they both got drunk and she said Grohl got aggressive and wouldn't let up.

Anyways I don't talk to my mom anymore because she beat the shit out of me all the time and was a whore.
>>
>>61545951
From everything I've seen/read about his family I've come to the conclusion that his mom is a piece of shit. She only gave a shit about herself and she abandoned her son as soon as she was able to because she saw him as a nuisance.

I'm going to be an armchair psychologist and assume that when your mom is like that, it fucks up your relationship with women. You're going to seek out another abuser, which is why he married Courtney Love.

Courtney used him for his fame and didn't give a shit about him, but victims of abuse love recreating that trauma so Kurt was attracted to that.

There's that quote where he says "fuck anyone who thinks I'm stupid enough to be abused by my wife," but that statement is flawed. Would Kurt say a woman being abused by a man is stupid? No, so why would he have to be stupid to be abused by his wife?

The fact is she cheated on him multiple times and controlled who his friends were and treated him like shit. He let it happen not because he was stupid, but because he was neglected as a child
>>
>>61546252
I always thought specifically the line "throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back" in Heart Shaped Box was a symbol that Kurt wanted to leave Courtney bad but the presence of a newly born child really wouldn't allow that. So he was trapped with her.
>>
>>61540473
Haha they're in order from least to most ugly
>>
>>61540473
Good, but I prefer Soundgarden
>>
>>61540473
In my opinion is the perfect teenage band
>>
their best song is Breed
>>
>>61546804
soad?
>>
>>61542612
>>if he was born 20 years later he'd be a tripfag
>damn...
damn...
>>
friendly reminder he was murdered
>>
>>61540473
>/mu/
>memes aside

good one op
>>
>every member of Nirvana was a capable songwriter

>Kurt gets credited for everything

There is something fishy about who wrote what if you ask me, although I doubt Dave or Krist will ever publicly come out and say they were just as important to Nirvanas sound as Kurt.
>>
>>61541360
>FTFY
MTV Unplugged in New York > In Utero > Bleach > Nevermind > Incesticide
>>
for a while i didnt care but in utero is really good. i dont think any musician should be regarded as the best. just because he killed himself means nothing. people kill themselves all the time. he was weak, but passionate
>>
>>61546079
is this true? please tell me its true
>>
>>61547404
bleach above nevermind? wtf
>>
>>61546016
>mfw Rape Me
>>
>>61546016
If they really didn't want to be famous, they could have simply refused to sign with any big label, right?
>>
>>61545842
>pixies rip off
Such a small percentage of what they did resembled pixies
>>
>>61547371
Nah they've talked about this. Dave was intimidated by Kurt and his musical ability, so he never imposed himself. He wasn't in the band very long but he wrote Marigold and parts of Scentless Apprentice. Krist helped out in the beggining, but once again felt he should let Kurt do his thing. There are a couple songs he's credited on.
>>
>>61546016
kek
>>
>>61546079
LOL
>>
>>61548452
I think they signed with a major label for better production/sound quality. I believe that Thurston Moore (from Sonic Youth) reccomended it to Kurt. I don't think he thought they were going to get famous because Sonic Yoth wasn't receiving any mainstream fame despite being signed with Geffen
>>
>>61540473
the singer topped himself trying to emulate dead, the great black emperor

that is gay

i dislike fags

i like bleach, the rest is mainstream crap
>>
>>61548627
I don't think Kurt wrote as much as he is credited for. I just don't see it, that's just my instinct though, I honestly think Krist and Dave helped out quite a bit and didn't mind not getting credited for it.
>>
>>61549928
I mean if you look at all of the demo tapes Kurt made of him jamming by himself at his house, it's pretty obvious what his writing process was like. He probably came up with 90% of his songs that way and sometimes he would bring a song and Krist and Dave would give suggestions and get credited. The most specific instance was Scentless Apprentice, which Dave pretty much spawned with the drum beat and riff.
>>
>>61540473
in utero still holds up, and some times I'll re-listen to some of the b-sides, but honestly, i could never hear nevermind again and that would be totally fine with me.
>>
I'm glad that lead singer was murdered. What an abortion to music. Filth
>>
>>61540473
They were a really really great band
But with every album went a little bit of whatever was left of Kurt's sanity, and his self-destructive attitude accumulated unnecessary people in his life and combined with the lack of awareness of how rich he was going to be, it was probably a really stressful situation for him to be in.
I think no amount of rehab or therapy could have fixed whatever broke him.
>>
>>61543639
MASSIVE KEK
>>
I love them and In Utero is my favorite album,I'm a sucker for 80's and 90's alt, indie rock, and grunge so take it with a grain of salt
>>
if nirvana is allowed not to be a meme then melvins are allowed too
>>
>>61551924
It's my favorite too. I think the open deconstruction of someone, especially someone as famous as Kurt, on record is fascinating. I've never seen rage, vulnerability, sadness, and apathy displayed so effectively. The fact that he killed himself* 6 months after it released makes it one of the few last will and testaments of an artist you will ever hear.
>>
>>61551976
Sometimes I do wonder what was going on in his head, he said in interviews that after he had the kid things were looking up, but there's clearly unresolved extreme angst (Milk It is the definition of angst)
>>
>>61551997
I think the optimism was true but we're talking about some who very likely had bipolar disorder. He was all over the place but the one thing that never left him were the feelings of hatred toward himself. I think he was going forward and keeping on for his daughter and trying to be the happiest he could be. But there was major betrayal from multiple sources in his life in the last months that sent him over.
>>
>>61551930
maybe after king buzzlord loses the meme hair and meme guitar
>>
Above average garage band
>>
>>61540473
shitty copy of foo fighters
>>
>>61540752
this
>>
>>61541753
to be fair we canĀ“t know if they wouldn't have made another one
>>
>>61540473
Is that the guy from Foo Fighters? When did he shave?
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.