[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this so popular? I legitimately don't understand,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: 91r5cRb6ntL._SL1440_.jpg (621KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
91r5cRb6ntL._SL1440_.jpg
621KB, 1440x1440px
Why is this so popular? I legitimately don't understand, it's pretty ok, but just needlessly repetitive; there are 7 tracks, and like what, maybe at most 12 different very BASIC song sections in the whole thing? Just seems like a few undeveloped ideas arbitrarily tossed together and called songs. The sound of it isn't bad, but also not really anything to write home about, and I personally can't even listen to it just anywhere or anytime because it sounds pretty specifically like the beach.

That last part is just my opinion but really, it's like a couple of basic ideas stretched out through repetition without variation to album length. I don't get why this is so universally beloved. If you like it, hey, more power to you, but I don't understand how this appealed SO highly to SO many people. What's the secret?
>>
>>61534241
stop using youtube converter
>>
>>61534241
there's no secret, you just dont like it. you're not wrong for not liking it lol
>>
PBVSGR and Tomboy are better. You can "prove me wrong" but I'll still BE right.
>>
>>61534241
>'it's boring!!'

pleb
>>
>>61534353
Not even what I said, one of my favorite AnCo albums is Campfire Songs.
>>
>>61534312
I don't understand why I'm laughing so hard at this post
>>
>>61534241
>it's ... repetitive

That's the point.
>>
>>61534241
I think its a pretty soothing record. Its a good listen after a stressful day. Kinda have to be in the right moodz
>>
It's just Pandas take on Wall of Sound, it's not meant to do anything except sound good (see: Pet Sounds)
I mean the name is even a play on words for Pet Sounds
>>
File: 1414706428437.jpg (175KB, 907x933px) Image search: [Google]
1414706428437.jpg
175KB, 907x933px
>>61535692
>it's not meant to do anything except sound good (see: Pet Sounds)
>>
>not singing along to the comfiest album of all time
>>
>>61535692
No, it's a play on the words. "Perfect Pitch"

>>61534469
Well it's sort of the same idea as CS in that It's more about building a mood and atmosphere as opposed to having traditional song structures that are progressive. Interesting that you criticize the repetition and basic song sections, while De Soto de Son is the only track that goes against this on CS (in that it has various "movements") - the rest of the tracks often expand and open up (like PP) as opposed to moving in a more linear fashion.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 333x333px
>>61534241
Panda Bear's Person Pitch (Paw Tracks, 2007) performs a spectacular deconstruction of pop and folk music. The vocal harmonies recall the Beach Boys, the melodies evoke cheesy bubblegum acts such as 10 CC. Comfy In Nautica a-cappella children's hymn with loud rhythmic clapping amid assorted electronic effects. The spaced-out vocals, the multi-part harmonies, the cascading melody of Take Pills sound positively like harkening from the psychedelic Sixties, but the song is typical of how the rhythms, whose effect is often enhanced by loops, transport Panda Bear's ditties into another orbit and another planet. Panda Bear weaves singalongs that ride layers of humble arrangements according to an ancestral logic of tribal repetition and jovial self-parody.

Sometimes his music sounds like folk-rock in the hands of a primitive tribe, as in the hypnotic, epic 12-minute Bros, sung with an attitude that sits halfway between Brazialian saudade and a stoned hippy's nonchalance (the vocals are distorted and reverbed) while the jingling percussion gets more and more intense. (The next song, I'm Not, sounds like an appendix focusing mostly on loops of dreamy vocals without the rhythm).

Moments of percussive trance and ecstatic singing also surface from the melodic crevices of the 13-minute Good Girl/Carrots, that replaces the collective hammering of Bros with dissonant industrial loops and beeps and hisses.

The singing here is a mere corollary to the grotesque soundscape. (And, again, the orgy is followed by a piece of floating free-form vocals).

Panda Bear has installed a giant mirror in the sky to project Earth's life onto another galaxy.
>>
>>61536178
>>61535692
Fuck, I'm an idiot, thought you were saying that Person Pitch was a play on Pets Sounds, but obviously you were referring to Wall of Sound. Soz, mate - can't read sometimes.
>>
>>61534241
I agree with everything you said OP. the thing is that its been overhyped by youknowwhichsite.the sounds are good but the song writing isn't.

people like it because its very ethereal and creates a nice ambiance.
>>
>>61536299
>thought you were saying that Person Pitch was a play on Pets Sounds

He was.

"I mean the name is even a play on words for Pet Sounds"

>>61536315
>its been overhyped by youknowwhichsite

All of them?

>the sounds are good but the song writing isn't.

>implying

Panda Bear is a tremendous melodist and the song structures of Bros and Good Girl are fantastically arranged and paced.
>>
I just love that album.
It's just so warm and analog and inviting
>>
>>61536315
The "sounds" directly relate to the songwriting though. I mean, the melodies are fantastic and the way he built them around these samples so seamlessly is impressive. The songs definitely build, at each loop or go around he's often adding and subtracting sounds and samples and small details - this is how he creates momentum. The songs get progressively more detailed and intricate as they go on. If you're speaking more about the lyrics, then i'm inclined to agree a little but those are so often obscured and pushed to the background that it's hardly noticeable.

Bringing P4k into this (the Godwin's law of /mu/, really) is silly.
>>
>>61536467
Also, I'd just like to say that I don't really see the issue with repetition. It's a tool/method to you in music and isn't inherently bad. One thing that's become increasingly more clear to me is that Panda is incredibly dance-minded in the way that he writes his songs and their structures. It's almost easier to listen to his songs in the same way you'd listen to a techno track in that his music is built upon mesmerizing, evolving, and subtly changing repetitions.
>>
>>61534241
I really like this album but I completely get what you're saying. Its lacking in the songwriting department, its pretty sparse. However the sound of the sound of the album is so dreamy that it makes up for the songwriting in my mind. Basically, if you weren't charmed by the aesthetic, you probably won't care for it and I (as a fan of the album) think thats completely justified.
>>
It's the 2000s pet sounds
>>
>>61536593
how is it lacking in the songwriting department?
>>
>>61536593
>Its lacking in the songwriting department

What is this fucking meme? Panda's melodic work on this album is tremendous.
>>
File: ddsads.jpg (13KB, 196x204px) Image search: [Google]
ddsads.jpg
13KB, 196x204px
>>61535492
becuz i'm rite
>>
>>61536762
Yeah, I find this perplexing as well. The way that the vocal melodies, the samples, and the ambiance interact and relate to each other and form a cohesive work is the definition of good songwriting imo.
>>
>>61536762
>>61536691
Its sparse, which is fine, but its stylistically prohibitive. Its not "bad" songwriting, its just not on par with the ambiance of the music.
>>
>>61537082
>its stylistically prohibitive.

That's the best part though; it isn't. In spite of the repetition of lyrics and melodies, Panda Bear had zero difficulty creating an album that was more stylistically independent and exuberant than any other album sounded at the time. Just like with Pet Sounds and the 60s, the only albums that sound like Person Pitch in the 00s or later are ones that came after Person Pitch.

Hell, what makes the songwriting so fantastic is that Panda Bear doesn't *need* to rely on 10+ songs that adhere to a traditional pop song structure to show off his ability. He recycles and repeats melodies and lyrics over and over but keeps the songs fresh by fleshing out the soundscapes, and in the case of Bros and Good Girl / Carrots, by evolving the songs slowly, bending the genre and introducing a new melody while doing so.

You say the songwriting isn't on par with the "ambience of the music", but that's all a part of the songwriting. It's not like the vocals and melodies and lyrics are the only parts of the song that would fall under the term "songwriting".
>>
>>61537224
just curious, what are your thoughts on tomboy and pbvsgr?
>>
>>61537367
I never got into Tomboy honestly. Maybe I didn't listen to it enough but it didn't really stick with me all that well, although the sonics of it were on point with Person Pitch which meant it was plenty pleasant to listen to. PBVSGR had a lot more memorable material but some of the intermission tracks seemed silly and I wasn't super into the production compared to Person Pitch or Tomboy. Regardless I really enjoyed it, I like more than Tomboy overall.
>>
>>61537224
ambience=/=ambiance
either way I think we are splitting hairs, I liked the album, say an 8-9/10 or so, but if someone else doesn't like it, I'll understand, cause I don't think the songwriting was that great. If you weren't charmed by the sound of the music, then you'll have trouble listening to it purely on its melodic qualities. Also, I had forgotten it was so long ago when this album came out. Since it came before MPP, I respect it slightly more maybe...
>>
>>61537533
>ambience=/=ambiance

Oh, misread. My b.

>>61537533
I dunno, I can also see why someone wouldn't love it, and that's because of the repetition. That's not for everybody and I get that. But I couldn't fuck with someone who can't get into the melodies that Panda Bear pens on this thing. In other words, if someone likes the melodies but not the fact that they're repeated for like 4 minutes, then I can understand where they're coming from.
>>
>>61537533
>ambience=/=ambiance

huh? it's the same word
>>
>>61537597
ambience relates to the word ambient, which would be a specific description of something while ambiance is a generic term by which I was refering to the sound of the album. Ambient in this context is an adjective (if i had used it) ambiance is a noun as I used it.
>>
>>61537425
yeah, the production on pbvsgr was pretty muddy. it's interesting that people say panda didn't try anything different on that album, but to me he places a much larger emphasis on rhythm and "groove" so the fact that the progression (or lack thereof) of the tracks were far more circular didn't bug me like it did other people. there's something about the way that hardly any of the songs have a real payoff or cathartic moment that i really like, thoght o some that's frustrating. also, the modular synth work was really nice.

i like tomboy a lot actually, but it's an album i can only listen to in certain moods. i crank it out about twice a year.

>>61537533
not the anon you're replying to, i still don't understand what part of the songwriting "isn't great." the fact that someone doesn't like the sound, doesn't make the songwriting not great, it means it's just not their taste. i don't see how that relates to the songwriting - it fulfills it's specific purpose by building momentum through repetition of subtly evolving melodies. the sounds and atmospheric qualities of the album are directly linked to the songwriting.
>>
>>61537674
no, they're literally the same word

they have the same application
>>
>>61537588
Yeah ok, I wasn't picking on the melodies themselves, but on how they were arranged.
>>
>>61537782
yeah, it's like grey/gray.
>>
>>61537782
"Ambience" can be used as a noun but "ambiance" is usually used to avoid confusion. This is evident by the fact that 4chans word processor doesn't think "ambience" is a word. I only brought it up because I wanted to clarify I was talking about "the feeling of the album" and not that "the album was trying to be somewhat ambient."
>>
while we're on the subject, can someone please hit me with a DL of this that isn't fucking HP connected files
>>
>>61537993
what about using soulseek?
>>
>>61537962
no mate, they're literally the exact same word.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/ambiance-ambience/
>>
>>61538085
Its like you didn't even read what I typed
>>
>>61538085
>It’s worth noting, though, that ambiance tends to take precedence in contexts relating to art and design
kek
>>
What I like about it is how effortless it sounds. It just sounds so natural and like anyone can do it.
>>
>>61538204
i did. they can be used interchangeably because they're the exact same word. it has nothing to do with nouns, or the difference between "the feeling of the album" and "the album was trying to be somewhat ambient." because there is no difference. it all depends if you're using the american spelling or not.

>>61538222
i'm aware, that's not what i was trying to point out to that poster. they still mean the same thing (unlike what >>61537533
was saying in their ambience=/=ambiance comment - that's untrue) it's just that that spelling is used more often. it still wouldn't be incorrect to use "ambience" in that context (see: "this is by no means a rule, and exceptions abound")
>>
>>61534241
I used to feel that way about despite liking most AnCo/AnCo-esque stuff. After around 5 times trying to listen to it suddenly "clicked" and it became one of my favorite albums even though I don't really listen to it anymore.

Not saying that'll happen to you but I get what you mean. I can't say that I like it in a very explainable way.
>>
>>61537962
what you think are two different words are two different pronunciations of the same word, which you've taken to mean different things (which, to be fair, makes sense in the way people sometimes use the two). "-ence" in FRENCH sounds like "-ahnce" to us. sometimes people go with that pronunciation because idk it seems pretentious though
>>
>>61536299
Pet --> Person
Sounds --> Pitch
>>
>>61538429
That's not where the title comes from. Originally the album was going to be called "Perfect Pitch" but Panda though that sound too pretentious.
>>
This was an album that "clicked" for me probably more so than any other. It sounds kind of cheesy, but the mellow vibe and the lyrics always inspire me to be a better person when I listen to it.
>>
>>61534241
I feel like there aren't that many good albums these days so when something like this happens it can't help but be overrated.
>>
some good discussion here, it's nice. can't wait for painting with to come out so every anco thread isn't derailed by "leak it deak" sentiments. until then, maybe i should just stick to solo panda threads.
>>
It's my favorite album of all time
>>
>>61540159
It really is something special.
>>
>>61536467
>>61536569
excellently put
>>61536602
yes
>>61540159
panda struck gold with this album, truly
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.