[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think? http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/675-w hy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15

File: Un122112titled.png (858KB, 694x900px) Image search: [Google]
Un122112titled.png
858KB, 694x900px
What does /mu/ think? http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/675-why-are-misogynist-lyrics-entertainment-in-2015/

>inb4 SJW
>>
God dammit p4k
>>
P4k is fucking dead

wtf happened
>>
>>53695504
/v/ get the fuck out of here.

We don't give a shit about these P4k editorials.

None of us do. We read their reviews for fun and joke about P4kcore.

Some people drone P4k, and we make fun of them.

But we DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THESE ARTICLES.

Get the fuck out of here, and back to your shit board.
>>
>>53695555
does anybody really read 'The Pitch' tho?
>>
File: 1410996384284.jpg (35KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1410996384284.jpg
35KB, 400x462px
>p4k
>>
>>53695581
That's what I'm saying.

None of us read The Pitch.

/v/ shitheads who don't care about music pull out these articles so they aren't forced to have a music discussion.
>>53695504
>>53695513
>>53695544
>>>/v/
>>
>>53695600
i know bro

Marcel's Music Journal is where its at. only true patricians read that site.
>>
>>53695617
This

/v/ and /pol/ are fucking cancer
>>
>>53695555
nice quints. also it's pretty funny how this gamergate thing is all of the sudden turning every gamer into a social poltician
>>
first of their "social think-pieces" that is decent
still no fucking mention of hip-hop and traditional inflation of the violence against minorities
>>
>>53695617
fitting because /v/ spends a lot of time whining about publications they don't read
>>
meem :D
>>
>>53695643
that guy threatened to send gore photos to my facebook friends when I said his music was shit.
>>
File: 1409845724214.jpg (63KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1409845724214.jpg
63KB, 500x375px
>>53695643
>caring about music "critics"
>>
It was 1980 – I was 13 years old and with my Father at O’Hare airport when I spotted Bill Murray waiting to check into his flight. I told my Dad “Hey, that’s Bill Murray!” My Dad, never one to be star struck, answered back, “Sure looks like it”.

“Do you think he’d mind if I ask him for an autograph?”

My Dad responded that it didn’t look like he was too busy, so I walked up to him and asked for an autograph. He was very friendly and gracious to do so, while my dad told him, “My son stays up late every Saturday to watch your show”, my dad explained.

“I hope he’s not drinking too much”

“Nope, I do the drinking at our house”, my dad assured him. “Good for you sir”, was his reply, and we were on our merry way.
>>
>>53695677
Wouldn't be surprised if this post was true

Marcel is such an arrogant prick. He also steals music
>>
ok so i had this hamster that would eat it's own feces, right? sit in his little playhouse and eat shit everyday. and i gav e the nigga a carrot and he was disgusted by it
>>
>As a person living in a genderfucked body that was assigned female identity at birth and has been mostly read as female by society since, Rectal Hygenics’ lyrics are exhausting and painful in a very visceral way.

>No one is arguing that Rectal Hygienics, or bands making albums like this that make empty motions towards something like music trolling, should not be allowed to exist or should be foisted from the scene. But how are lines like "Spoiled fuck machine/ Think you’re on easy street/ You’re a slave to man and what he puts inside of you/ Stinking pack mule/ You smell like shit," from "Heroin Whore", the song which Even the Flies Won’t Touch You derived its title from, supposed to be interpreted? Is it hammy shock and awe or bald misogyny? Are we supposed to sit back an appreciate this as "art" for "art’s sake"?

>At a time when violence against women, particularly trans women, is an everyday occurrence—6 trans women have been murdered as of this writing since the beginning of 2015—and doesn’t happen in some other discrete universe, far from these basement scenes—how are we supposed to receive these lyrics as "entertainment" or even "a window into man’s self-loathing"?

trans is the new gay
Rectal Hygienics is my new favorite band
thanks p4k

i'm gonna go and make an exclusively trans hating noise punk album
>>
File: 1423836052603.png (76KB, 224x173px) Image search: [Google]
1423836052603.png
76KB, 224x173px
Didn't they give RTJ2 a good review?
This is just funny now
>>
>people getting this butthurt about a social topic post
>not getting this mad about people spamming "memes" and calling things "meme ___"
>not getting equally upset about people droning their actual music reviews
>people being this reactionary over the slightest mention of "sjw" type topics

you know you can still talk about this stuff and not have to be a tumblr shitlord, right? you guys just need stuff to be mad about...
>>
>toxic masculinity

How come no one ever says "toxic femininity"?
>>
>>53695643
are you trolling?
i don't hate all music critics, but that guy is an insufferable child. he also samples with no ethics or thoughtfulness..he's just awful.
>>
>>53695866
Shut up you Anti-meming memester
*Tips Dank Memes*
*teleports to the memer universe*
>>
File: ecce homo.jpg (19KB, 228x241px) Image search: [Google]
ecce homo.jpg
19KB, 228x241px
>Often, anyone who critiques it is written off "just too sensitive", doesn’t get it, or perhaps they "deserve" to be offended. Of course offensive art has a right to exist, and is necessary. All art has a right to exist—but its status as art is not protection from others' opinions. Art’s interpretations by the audience that receives it is as much a part of it as its creator’s intentions.

This is what literally no fedoratrolls on the internet ever understand.

As soon as something is criticized for being misogynist they go "CENSORSHIP! YOU'RE ADVOCATING CENSORSHIP!"
>>
File: hmTsIMD5.jpg (217KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
hmTsIMD5.jpg
217KB, 1252x1252px
>https://twitter.com/modernistwitch
>anti-imperialist candy witch, hc/post-punk prince/ss
>hfw
>>
>>53695896
because hyper-masculinity is not only expressed far more often and is much more deeply ingrained in media/social structures, but hyper femininity is often a response to that.

don't pull some men's rights bullshit. it's the worst. you can talk about how masculinity can be toxic without writing off all men, but that isn't the point.
>>
>>53695965
HAHAHAHAHAHA fucking hell

>>53695963
but this is very true. s/he made good points
>>
>>53695504
Yet again, p4k refuses to recognize fundamental aspects of art.
>>
>>53695896
because masculinity is associated with agressiveness and feminility is associated with fragility
of course, a feminist wouldn't admit that she made that association herself
>>
I find this blog piece more cringe-worthy honestly.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/669-beck-and-the-incredible-shrinking-album-of-the-year/
>>
Why can Carrie Underwood sing about trashing her boyfriend's car without Pitchfork writing a blog post about it?
>>
File: le sjw faec.jpg (70KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
le sjw faec.jpg
70KB, 600x800px
>>
>>53695555
This. I used to skim the Shake Appeal and The Out Door for recs but it appears they've done away with those features in the name of editorials and joke columns about topics such as "Sleater Kinney drop a hip hop mixtape", "Obamacare for Musicians", and a soap box for Meredith Graves + co to yell about whatever they are mad about on a given day.
>>
>>53695861
It's ok for black people to do it
>>
You idiots can complain about sjws and /v/ all you want, but this article is hilarious. Jes Skolnik is an idiot.
>>
I don't hate people because they're trans or gay or black, I hate people because of the content of their character.
I have had great friends from every side of the spectrum, and I've seen some of the worst people come from the same backgrounds.
I hope that most of you don't immediately jump to hateful conclusions because of someone's choices in life, rather, you discern if they are good people or not.
I'm not advocating hate or peace, I'm just advocating for people to stop being such judgmental fuckheads across the board, it's not just you, it's also them.
>>
she has nice big ol melons
want to suck pls
>>
>>53696203
she's growing a benis so might want to suck on that
>>
>>53695661
True that. Honestly, what's the big deal? I don't understand the total rage going on in this thread. It's really not that extreme of an article, really, all it's doing is pointing out there is misogyny in some modern music and, as this thread actually proves, people get upset when someone decides to critique that. She doesn't suggest we censor the music, no, actually she clearly states she is against the censorship of music. She just suggests that society needs to not be so critical of those who critique misogyny in modern day art.

tl;dr This article isn't that big of a deal and the fact that you guys are getting so butthurt over it actually proves the author's point.
>>
laughed so hard when I first read the bandname. RECTAL HYGIENICS
I mean cmon this shit sounds like its straight out of some 'name my band /mu/' thread.
I dont even think this band actually exists
>>
Surely there must be better examples of misogyny in music that reaches as wider audience and sells more than some shitty little noise rock band...
>>
>>53695504
I disagree, newer noise bands might be falling flat when it comes to this but they are certainly TRYING for the same satire and critique that their influences were so it isn't inherently more misogynistic. And if the true difference was the political and cultural context is no longer there as the writer implies than the this essay wouldn't need to exist anyways I really feel like their isn't even a real point to the essay and it begins to seem even contradictory to itself at the end where it says how violence against trans-women is such a problem right now, wouldn't that make the message just as important now as it was when Big Black did It?

I feel like I'm missing something can someone explain?
>>
>>53696290
kanye west.
>>
tour dates with TOTAL ABUSE

fucking kek
>>
>>53696194
i think she's cool. she just messed up by using the "M" word.

"misogyny" pretty much has the opposite effect that SJWs want it to have at this point.

IF YOU'RE A WRITER AND YOU SINCERELY WANT MEN TO STOP BEING MISOGYNISTIC, DON'T USE THE WORD "MISOGYNISTIC."

there are ways of relating that information without blatant buzzwords. it's called "creativity" or "rhetorical skill."
>>
ITT: People so excited to attack SJWs they're missing the point of the article
>>
>>53695823
>>53695861
>>53695896
>>53695965
>>53696025
>>53696051
>>53696068
>>53696144
>>53696197
>>53696269
>>53696290

>>>/v/

WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THE FUCKING PITCH.
>>
>>53696260
no one in this thread whining actually read the article.
>>
>>53696363
If you had read what I posted you wouldn't have cluster replied and shitposted.
You're proving some of our points you know. You barely take the time to read people's comments and dismiss them. Shameful.
>>
>>53696339
>IF YOU'RE A WRITER AND YOU SINCERELY WANT MEN TO STOP BEING MISOGYNISTIC, DON'T USE THE WORD "MISOGYNISTIC."

sad but true. although I don't think that's really the writer's fault, but more the fault of men who get mad over such a simple word. Oh well, what can you do.
>>
>>53696390
NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THIS ARTICLE.

THE PEOPLE WHO DO DON'T CARE ABOUT MUSIC.

FUCK OFF TO /V/.
>>
http://fuckrectalhygienics.bandcamp.com/

check out my band /mu/
>>
>>53696419
Sometimes I wish I could be this deluded.
>>
>>53696419
>NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THIS ARTICLE.
why are you responding then?
>>
>>53696419
I give a shit about the article. It's not half bad, actually.
>>
>>53696419
QED
>>
>>53695504
>toxic masculinity

Why?
>>
>>53696452
>>53696476
Fuck off to /v/, where you don't care about substantive discussion and only focus on bullshit politics.
>>
>>53696514
>Pretends he doesn't care
>Keeps responding
>>
>>53696514
If you could understand the irony of this post all at once I think you would die. And the sad thing is you will leave this discussion thinking you ""won"" when you really just showed everyone how little you understand /mu/. And I'm fully aware that you're shitposting, that's why reddit is better than 4chan. You are living proof.
>>
>>53696554
lol so true, although I do like 4chan more than reddit.
>>
>>53696554
>reddit is better than 4chan
Fuck off to Reddit, where you don't care about substantive discussion and only focus on downvotes.
>>
>>53695965
>>53696152
I would "fuck" her.
>>
>>53695504
why the crass photo tho??
>>
>>53696625
>substantive discussion
>4chan
I mean, if you want to be a huge faggot AND retarded, then by all means.
>>
>>53695504

This is why people like her can't create art and can't comment on it without looking like idiots, they get caught up and in their feelings and whats right and wrong instead of taking it for what it is, which is a window into someones mind and soul.

The lyrics are the singer expressing himself, whether he's serious or not, they're still coming from his point of view of life and how he sees the world. People are individuals and have different perspectives on life. What you read into something may not actually be what the artist is actually saying or what they truly feel.
>>
>>53696260

seriously. this forum is used to critique music 24 hours a day and yet someone starts a discussion about violent lyrics on a different website and /mu/ rages.

>Why are we supposed to praise them for hypothetically "looking into the dark places of the human soul" when women who write about our biographical experiences with these dark realities can’t even talk to our friends on social media without being interrupted by trolls at best and serious harassment at worst?

This. The way i have seen /mu/ discuss women in music is really sad and backwards.
>>
>>53696661

Irony, since they've written songs blasting people like her.
>>
>>53696339
how the fuck is misogyny a buzzword? it existed long before the internet. besides the fact that men trolling online have deemed it as such in an attempt to attack the character of writers rather than take part in the conversation and address the points being raised?
>>
>>53696720
>>53696260
i mean, i'm right wing and i can see that
this is a pretty good article
>>
>>53696720
>muh harassment

If some cunt (or tranny) can't handle the banter like a man then she should just delete her (his) social media accounts already.
>>
>>53696753

misogyny is a meme

women are a meme
>>
>>53696710
it's possible, you know, that people like interpret art differently. there is not one right way. no one is calling for censorship.
>>
>>53696625
because in comparison 4chan is full of substantive discussion and not full of ironic memes in the slightest right? :^)
>>
>>53696303
You're missing punctuation.
>>
>>53696772
yea because the "banter" is completely universal and men are subjected to the exact same edgy sexist trolling. cool.
>>
>>53696836
>yea because the "banter" is completely universal and men are subjected to the exact same edgy sexist trolling
It is and you are, you cocksucking faggot.
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (72KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
72KB, 500x480px
>>53696836
go back to your liberal hugbox echo chamber please

women are literally
just
a meme
>>
>>53696753
i didn't attack her character. i barely even criticized her writing. i just mentioned one point. which happens to be in the title of the goddamn thing.
>>
I don't get what's the problem with this article. Like most of us haven't listened to some music that made us think about something and wanted to share those thoughts with others. Good on her, that she can do that on such a "high" place...

TBH I haven't read the article yet, but it sounds interesting. I mean, I could write something similar on how I an "leftist" am listening to some more "right wing" music, like Varg's Burzum...
>>
>>53696608
same, reddit is full of unfunny douches but at least half of them aren't just there to troll poorly
>>
>>53696886
>recognizing sexist trolling
>liberal

hahaha
>>
>>53696886
>still trying to force women are a meme meme
top kek
>>
>>53696915
>he disagrees with my Tumblr chums
>he must be trolling
>>
>>53696831
damn...
>>
>>53696940
>implying he said you were trolling
>>
>>53696904
you didn't. not in the way that others are doing. but you did imply the writing was inherently flawed and uncreative because of the use of the term misogyny. I am still trying to figure out how it could be a buzzword though
>>
>>53695965
>candy witch

what?
>>
>>53696940
I disagree with the recognition of sexist trolling being equated with liberalism. recognizing sexism has really nothing to do with liberalism.
>>
>>53696710
I already stated my problems with the essay so I don't agree with her but man you are really either not self-aware at all or didn't read the article.

It's more about why the type of lyrical approach is cliche and boring in modern noise rock more than how it hurts feelings. its actually a critique of the lyrics from an artistic stand point.

this doesn't really invalidate what you said but all you and me and everyone else on this board does is critique the artistic merits of other peoples music also...
>>
File: 3176-janelle-monae.jpg (75KB, 950x690px) Image search: [Google]
3176-janelle-monae.jpg
75KB, 950x690px
>>53696349
>People so excited to attack SJWs they're missing the point of the article

Oh, what is the enlightening point of this article my dear anon?
>>
>>53696434

haha who really likes this shit? this band doesn't even seem worth defending
>>
>>53697004
Ironically, the "sexist" position is the one which holds that poor fragile women shouldn't be submitted to the same online hazing that all men expect and accept.
>>
i think she made some good points, but the whole point of the article is saying we should not give praise or acclaim to bands that aren't acclaimed by no one anyway
she's just inflating a few problems and cherrypicking examples of it (because p4k can't mention misogyny on hip-hop)
>>
>>53696805
>no one is calling for censorship.

You sorta are, by saying "stop saying these lyrics because they hurt my academic feelings on feminism"
>>
>>53696805

you didn't even read my post and her critique is just getting upset over the lyrics, which isn't actually a legitimate fucking critique.
>>
No! No! Only WE get to critique music right guys!!!!?!?!?!
>>
File: steven joseph.jpg (130KB, 1390x778px) Image search: [Google]
steven joseph.jpg
130KB, 1390x778px
>>53697004
daily reminder that your bitching on 4chan isn't going to change anything

trolls will keep trolling, and you will still be mad

stay mad
>>
File: Cindi-Mayweather.jpg (64KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cindi-Mayweather.jpg
64KB, 500x600px
>>53697014
>It's more about why the type of lyrical approach is cliche and boring in modern noise rock more than how it hurts feelings.

So?

Black metal has cliche lyrics.

Rap has cliche lyrics.

Punk has cliche lyrics.

Pop music has cliche lyrics.
So?

It's clearly a feminist article.
>>
>>53697050
oh yea, when did i say that? the article just says that the lyrics are overdone and often offensive to some. no where does it say that it shouldn't exist or that offensive art shouldnt exist.
>>
File: Screenshot+2015-02-18+02.27.03.png (533KB, 576x666px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot+2015-02-18+02.27.03.png
533KB, 576x666px
what is this
>>
>>53697014
>i don't' like it

is not a valid critique and it is about hurt feelings, did you even fucking read the last 2 paragraphs?
>>
>>53696906
>TBH I haven't read the article yet
Read it. It's well written and has a point. But still it's nothing revolutionary, or anything really.

I don't get how Anal Hygienics is any more insulting than I don't know Anal Cunt, or something...

Also I feel /v/ and /pol/ are posting this articles to try and create some kind of gamergate in /mu/ but the thing is, most of us don't care about music journalism. P4k could shit on NMH, and yeah it would be on /mu/ but not in a way where people would "hate" p4k for it, or anything. I think it would be, welp they changed their opinion again, what else is new?
>>
#ARTNOTCENSORS
>>
>>53697058
daily reminder that people with different opinions than you use and value this forum sorry
>>
>>53696720
>The way i have seen /mu/ discuss women in music is really sad and backwards.
if you think this board is bad with that venture out to /v/ for a while lol
>>
>>53697089
yes and we should discourage cliche lyrics in all those genres.
>>
>>53697112
Stop shilling your whiny article, Jew- I mean, Jes.
>>
>>53697089
so what? why is it so enraging to /mu/ that somebody would express an opinion about that and from a feminist prospective? this forum literally exists to critique music and present opinions and interpretations of art.
>>
thought the thread would be about crass and was disappointed by this shit
>>
What the fuck is so hard about just reading the article and going

"hmm, okay"

and closing it
>>
>>53696975
>how it could be a buzzword
google "zeitgeist"
go out and talk to other people

>imply the writing was inherently flawed and uncreative
i made one suggestion?
>>
>>53696720
>when women who write about our biographical experiences with these dark realities can’t even talk to our friends on social media without being interrupted by trolls at best and serious harassment at worst?
dude waht
/mu/ loves shit like grouper
>>
File: HookedOnAFeeling.jpg (155KB, 284x412px) Image search: [Google]
HookedOnAFeeling.jpg
155KB, 284x412px
>>53697123
daily reminder that complaining about trolls is pointless and you are wasting your time

enjoy
>>
>>53697140
>Jew
>>>/pol/
and don't come back
fag.
>>
>>53697166
grow up
>>
>>53697159
it was a quote from the article
>>
>>53697166
grow up
>>
File: femen-goutteor_0.jpg (65KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
femen-goutteor_0.jpg
65KB, 720x405px
>>53697095
>your tits are not a radical act
>>
>>53697135
>yes and we should discourage cliche lyrics in all those genres.

So are you saying there's no noise rock that has original lyrics?
>>
>>53697187
>>53697199
It's you who should grow up, throwing things like Jew around. Only people who do that are 12 year olds at /pol/ and /tv/
>>
>>53697095
>is not

can't even into grammer
>>
>>53697214
>pls don't say jew its a bad word
grow up
>>
>>53697234
It's not a bad word. It's over used maymay.
It just exposes you for what you are, an edgy 12 year old who think /pol/ is funny.
>>
>>53697014
>It's more about why the type of lyrical approach is cliche and boring in modern noise rock more than how it hurts feelings. its actually a critique of the lyrics from an artistic stand point.
she is saying that a clever aspect of those lyrics was lost and, through the misunderstading of people inspired by them, the element of portraying a character in it's lowest points of humanity was dismissed and this non-comedic satire became exactly what it was distastefully portraying
to say it's become cliche would've implied it didn't change at all and that it lost it's value for being commonplace, and not for having changed through losing it's critical aspects
>>
>>53697258
grow up pls

I can say anything I want
>>
>>53697258
>It's not a bad word
Good goy!
>>
>>53697283
>being this /pol/
Man go shitpot there.
>le conspiring merchant man
lel how edgy am I guise?? XD
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.