[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do people mean when they say "avant-teen"? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: 1423556661590.png (249KB, 421x500px) Image search: [Google]
1423556661590.png
249KB, 421x500px
What do people mean when they say "avant-teen"? What music would fit this category?
>>
File: ayfkm.png (60KB, 647x384px) Image search: [Google]
ayfkm.png
60KB, 647x384px
>>53672164
Avant Teens are (generally) people who prioritize obscurity and "uniqueness of taste" over forming a more intelligent opinion.
For instance, AntiWarhol.
>>
Avant means before and teen means teen
So I've always assumed it means "before teenager" i.e. a child
I figure it's a roundabout way of saying "children's music"
I dunno though I never looked into it
>>
it's a term to describe someone who thinks Avant Garde music is the best thing on earth and who will insult others for listening to lesser forms of music

enjoying avant garde music is fine tho
>>
>>53672206
>Avant means before

no
>>
>>53672181
I saw that on his profile and I was wondering if he actually paid attention to it or just played it with the volume on low, not heard the other album though
>>
>>53672262
He's just trying to look cool. He doesn't care about music. He uses it as image.
>>
>>53672230
Avant is a french word
I speak a little french, and so I can tell you that avant does mean before
>>
>>53672164
A young person who listens to avant garde or experimental music for superficial reasons rather than because they legitimately enjoy it. Obviously you cant' actually know the reasons people listen to what they listen to, and superficial taste is ubiquitous to all music genres, so it's mainly used as a meaningless insult to question other peoples' authenticity, like "hipster"

Basically, you should only use the term to shitpost
>>
>>53672181
if I look for music that just sounds fresh and unique, not to make my taste 'obscure', but for the joy of exploration

am i Avant Teen then
>>
>>53672327
It has to be contextual.
AntiWarhol wouldn't be quite AS shit if he so obviously was a hack, as portrayed in the video. MF18M is too popular for him, so he rated it the lowest possible.
>>
>>53672327
No
>>
>>53672327
See
>>53672296

You will still be called an avant-teen, because that's what all avant teens would say anyway. It's basically a meme and you shouldnt be so insecure about such a stupid thing
>>
>>53672327
if you brag about it then yeah, if you legit enjoy it then no
>>
File: taylor.jpg (272KB, 783x1177px) Image search: [Google]
taylor.jpg
272KB, 783x1177px
best avant-teen coming through
>>
Is there an avant-teen essentials chart?
>>
>>53672389
Would any "avant-teen" claim to not legitimately enjoy what they listen to?
>>
>>53672436
Who is this bbw?
>>
>>53672291
Moron, L'avant garde in french military history was the front line.

So avant garde music is at the forefront of music.

SOurce: i'm not retarded.
>>
>>53672484
~hardboiledbabe
>>
>>53672452
any patriciancore chart
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhzd6oTHSg
>>
>>53672452
Seconded
I should make one later.
>>
>>53672536
Yeah but it's better to listen to stuff that's inconsequential and no one ever heard of. Start with the entire Obscure Tape Music of Japan series (which is mostly really bad) and then listen only to composers whose names show up on last.fm in non-Roman characters.

This should be the top track on your last.fm, with 5 plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TExxv1-j42Y
>>
>>53672513
>So avant garde music is at the forefront of music.
Well done, I already knew that though. What does this have to do with avant teen? They're different expressions, obviously.
>>
File: R-525626-1291839541.jpg (7KB, 280x279px) Image search: [Google]
R-525626-1291839541.jpg
7KB, 280x279px
>>53672452
Just listen to this and you're set.
>>
>>53672518
Thanks. She has great legs, I'd love to see her on bigcuties
>>
>>53672660
teen who listens to lots of avant garde. it's really not that hard to figure out.
>>
Underage mallgoths that only hear music that is obscure, "experimental" and "avant-garde" (usually pseudo-intelectual music that is experimental just for the sake of appearing challenging/deep and hiding actual poor musical skill and knowledge) and disregard any other music as garbage.
>>
>>53672662
That's too entry level. 2/10.
>>
>>53672715
How do you decide what music is being experimental just for the sake of it, and what music is experimental because that's the music the artist genuinely wants to make?

Is it just based on whether you like it or not?
>>
>>53672688
What's wrong with just "avant-garde teen" then?
"avant teen" and "avant-garde" are pretty obviously different expressions, and considering the various different meanings and applications of the word "avant" I don't see why you'd immediately associate them if you didn't already know what "avant teen" means
>>
>>53672766
it's not exactly a phrase meant to be used by people beyond the boundaries of /mu/ or rym, where you'd be expected to know it anyway
>>
>>53672759
don't press the issue, he's clearly not well informed
>>
>>53672827
I just feel the need to call him out on it
>>
the main themes that stick out to me are emphasis on obscurity and inaccessibility above all else, total lack of discernment regarding quality, and lack or knowledge of context or intent
>>
>>53672759
>How do you decide what music is being experimental just for the sake of it, and what music is experimental because that's the music the artist genuinely wants to make?
Not him, but it could possibly be determined by the experimental qualities of the record.
For instance: the glitch on Program Music I. It's amateurish. You could probably convincingly argue that the glitch was just to add some kind of "credibility" to the record.
>>
>>53672221
Since when avant garde means "higher form of music"? Same thing people say about Jazz, but jazz was at that time something like punk, played in clubs, disliked by conformist majority.
>>
>>53672164
your picture says scared
>>
File: salon-de-sachiko.jpg (110KB, 780x784px) Image search: [Google]
salon-de-sachiko.jpg
110KB, 780x784px
>>53672718
>>
>>53673170
too many s's
>>
>>53673031
>by the experimental qualities of the record
Nice circular logic

>>53673093
No it wasnt. The first jazz record sold more than any other genre at the time. It was a fucking sensation, you don't know what you're saying
>>
>>53673229
I meant jazz clubs. Full of drugs, all this stuff. Jazz and related places was not good for your kids. I think this is how people saw jazz that days.
>>
>>53673229
what circular logic...
I feel like you are one person on /mu/ who likes to keep trying to use that term every once in a while to pretend you have an argument
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.