[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cassette Tapes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

File: cassette tapes.jpg (52KB, 588x800px) Image search: [Google]
cassette tapes.jpg
52KB, 588x800px
Seriously, why is this shit making a comeback again?
>>
Because Burger says so and they're so quirky :^)
>>
Reminder cassettes are extremely fragile and deteriorate after only a few dozen plays and the only reason they're a thing again is because they're cheap as shit to make and quirky indie labels want to steal your money.
>>
>>53474031
1. They're the cheapest and most profitable way to sell physical music
2. They're the most personal and customizable form of music aside from vinyl
3. People like how it sounds
4. Nostalgia
5. They fit certain genre's aesthetics well

/thread
>>
>>53474263
>deteriorate after only a few dozen plays
unless you're buying cheap trash tapes, C100+s , or never learned how to handle tapes, this isn't true
>>
File: 1422220223716.jpg (95KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1422220223716.jpg
95KB, 640x640px
>>53474031

Changing the retail on video cassettes and recorders to play such elements is absurd.

We're not going back to cassettes but there's a list of Elite people who conserve VHS players like J.K Rowling or Anne Rice.

They conserve VHS players to masturbate back to my previous recorded acts of sexual assaults and surprise sex at night.
>>
>>53474171
thanks for contributing

i love cassettes.
you can buy them for very cheap
you don't have to worry about them getting fucked up in the mail
they hold their place if you stop them
they're really easy and cheap to make and sell
>>
>>53474307
>5.
This. Imagine black metal or something like memphis rap. Those wouldn't exist, at least not in their current form, without cassettes
>>
>>53474386
>>53474346
You are sheep in the machine of novelty and crap.
>>
>>53474307
>1. They're the cheapest and most profitable way to sell physical music
False. They're more expensive to make than CD's, which are far more practical to most listeners.

>2. They're the most personal and customizable form of music aside from vinyl
What does this even mean?

>3. People like how it sounds
This is based on nothing, as the sound quality isn't any better than other formats. More often than not it's actually worse.

>4. Nostalgia
This is the only real reason, yet most people collecting them now didn't even grow up with them.

>5. They fit certain genre's aesthetics well
What does this even mean?

My main gripe with your reply is point #1, which is complete bullshit. It irks me this falsity is actually be spread.
>>
>>53474031
Because vinyl became too mainstream by now
>>
>>53474171
you live in oc? can i come over to your house
>>
File: gums.jpg (60KB, 960x400px) Image search: [Google]
gums.jpg
60KB, 960x400px
>>53474386
>they hold their place if you stop them
>>
>>53474386
>they're really easy and cheap to make

Wrong, unless you're only comparing them to vinyl, which is an even worse fad.
>>
>>53474430
This
>>
>>53474263
stay salty friend :^)
>>
>>53474426
le edgy contrarian faec ' ,:^)
>>
>>53474542
>memespeak

Do you not know how arguments work?
>>
>>53474386
you only think they're cheap because there's only old ones which there's no demand for. if music today was being made in cassettes they'd be more expensive than cd's.
>>
I'll repeat it again so you guys get the message: cassette tapes are not cheaper to make, and they are not easier to sell. This is a fact. If you've been told otherwise, you've been mistaken.
>>
>>53474619
Nobody gives a fuck about your "argument".
>>
>>53474757
14 people do so far. Go waste your time in another thread if this one is getting you too emotional.
>>
>>53474426
>>1. They're the cheapest and most profitable way to sell physical music
>False. They're more expensive to make than CD's, which are far more practical to most listeners.
No they're not. A cassette is cheaper than a jewel case CD with an insert.

>>2. They're the most personal and customizable form of music aside from vinyl
>What does this even mean?
Colored tapes, different art, inserts, etc

>>3. People like how it sounds
>This is based on nothing, as the sound quality isn't any better than other formats. More often than not it's actually worse.
yes but it fits a lotta lofi and bedroom aesthetics.

>>4. Nostalgia
>This is the only real reason, yet most people collecting them now didn't even grow up with them.
some did

>>5. They fit certain genre's aesthetics well
>What does this even mean?
see 3
>>
>>53474721
my band ordered cassettes and CDs

sold out of the cassettes almost immediatly

ended up giving the CDs away or leaving them at shows

so.... first hand experience says youre wrong
>>
>>53474895
this
>>
>>53474932
just out of interest where were you selling them? mostly online?
>>
>>53474031
they arent becoming a thing again
>>
>>53475055
shows
>>
>>53475095
interesting
>>
>>53474895
>No they're not. A cassette is cheaper than a jewel case CD with an insert.
Not from my research. Show me where I can get 1000 cassettes made for $790. I can get 1000 two panel insert, jewel case, assembly & wrap CD package for that. I'd be very interested what kind of deal you can show me for cassette tapes.

>Colored tapes, different art, inserts, etc
How is this any more personalized than CD artwork? Unless you're counting on the artist to manufacture all different kinds of tapes, which is unrealistic in most cases.
>>
Because I only have a tape deck in my car
>>
File: unnamed.gif (904KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
904KB, 500x500px
>>53474031
because of this
>>
>>53474932
Where are you based out of? I have a hard time believing your experience would be the norm, if you're actually telling the truth. Tapes are still extremely niche.
>>
>>53474426
>False
Except it's true. I've released music both on CD and cassette, and I was able to sell the cassettes for $1 cheaper and still break even than with the CDs. My guess is that bulk cassette packaging is cheaper, but I didn't work with the tapes directly so who knows.
>>
>>53475169
it's easy and cheap for me to do a batch of 100 cassettes at a time and personalize each batch
>>
>>53475230
chicago
>>
>>53474031
because CD's are retarded
>>
I have a question.
As I am someone who lived in the time when all we had were cassette tapes, why in the hell would you want to consume anything from an outdated medium?
I get that there is a nostalgia factor in having tapes, and one could even argue that packaging is a lost art, but those needs are met and even superceded by vinyl.
The quality will never be as good as digital, and no one even owns a cassette player these days.
So, what gives?
Are you're parents not laughing at you enough as it is?
>>
>>53475288
So you're burning your own copies and personalizing them, and you're saying it's easier for you to do this with tapes instead of CD's?
>>
>>53475230
I'm >>53475272 but I had the same experience too. Sold out a run of 50 cassettes in a couple weeks. As far as I know, they kept like half of the CDs they made for over a year and ended up dumping them. Nobody wants to buy CDs.
>>
>>53475359
no i'm getting them manufactured so they don't look like shit

i can get cassettes in batches of 50 and change the color of the tape each time
>>
>>53474263

CD's are cheaper. And I have cassettes over 30 years old that still play fine.
>>
>>53475358
it's more about supporting bands you like

i rarely listen to my cassettes.
but it's fun to buy something from a band that i can collect and display. theyre cheap to manufacture for the band and cheap to sell.

i can buy a CD and burn it to my computer and then file that CD away and never see it. what's the point.

also all my bands music is digital as well, so why not buy something fun like a cassette
>>
>>53475358
sounds warm man
>>
>>53475358
because nobody who is making tapes is making more than ~200 at a time. make 200, sell them and break even, make 200 more. people enjoy the aspect of it being a limited run and each batch being something unique.
>>
>>53474426
You mean cdrs not cds. Cds aren't cheap to make compared to tapes.
>>
>>53475441
This, most bands give you a digital download when you buy physical. So when it comes to supporting bands I'll just buy physical and buy a cassette because CD's are pointless ultimately.

Cassettes usually come with cooler artwork and it's a plastic object that you can hold and listen to that isn't a flimsy CD. Also this >>53475453
>>
>>53475441
at least your admitting it's about making a fashion statement.
Good for you.
That's the first step to recovery.

>>53475453
;^)
>>
>>53475315
Because you're a hipster retard.
>>
>>53474031
great

i'll finally sell my nakamichi dragon for a fuckton of money to some retarded hipster
>>
>>53475358
Because I like the sound of lo-fi music. What other answer do you need?
>>
>>53475503
>at least your admitting it's about making a fashion statement.

yeah i guess
>>
>>53475312
>>53475366
Sorry I'm not convinced. Who are all these people with tape players? And who goes to a show thinking "Oh boy I hope this band has some cassette tapes for sale?" I know CD's are a lot harder to push than they used to be, but unless I see something other than anecdotal evidence, I'm not buying it.

Also, nobody has yet shown me where cassettes are cheaper to manufacture (even though they sell for less) than CD's. This helps the artist in no way.
>>
>>53475366
>Nobody wants to buy CDs.
Not if you release shitty hipster music. And I doubt they made cds probably just cdrs.
>>
>>53475503
>getting this buttflustered about people listening to music on a particular medium
God take me if I ever get to this level of autism
>>
File: iamhip.jpg (23KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
iamhip.jpg
23KB, 500x328px
>>53475510
hipster here

why would i want to buy a cd, put the songs on my computer, and then never listen to the cd again. they don't even put a cd player in fucking cars anymore.
>>
>>53475502
No, its because you are a hipster. Cds have far better artwork then tapes by far, what the fuck are you talking about. If you want to buy a release for the art only buy vinyls.
>>
>>53475556
see
>>53475441
>>
>>53475510
>>53475586
>>53475557

hipster police in the thread
>>
>>53475488
The best quote I've gotten for CD's is here >>53475169, along with quotes for 500 and 300
>>
>>53475575
They don't put tape players or vinyl players in cars but people still listen to them. Why would you buy a tape or vinyl when you can upload it to your computer then never listen to it again.
>>
>>53474031
Well there you go OP.
It's basically a poor man's Vinyl
Every band and every label can make cassettes and make them for cheap.
They're not really meant to be played, just kept on a shelf so when your friends come over, they can see how patrician you are for having Floral Shoppe on Cassette 8^)
Then sit on your floor and look at the quirky pictures inside.

It's just a trend, that doesn't effect you, so don't worry about it.
Everything will be okay.
>>
>>53475556
>I'm not convinced
Then that's your problem. I was able to sell the cassettes for only $5 but the CDs for $6. I sold all the cassettes of my music, and less than half of the CDs. That's my experience. If you need logistics to why that's the case, that's your prerogative, and you can go find out why if you'd like. But you can't just say "no" to physical proof.
>>53475557
>resorting to strawman
:^)
>>
>>53475626
because im autistic you fuck
>>
>>53475625
Cd's aren't too expensive but yeah you have to make at least 300 usually, not worth it unless your band is popular enough to warrant a cd pressing, tapes are great since you can just buy them yourself and not have to worry about the amount being too small.
>>
>>53475665
>one day i'm gonna pass my hard drive down to my kids so they can see how cool good ole day used to be.
>>
>>53475625
i don't want 300 fucking CDs, especially with my music online

i can press 25 or 50 cassettes and sell them all and then press 25 more in a different color if i want
>>
>>53475586
>No, its because you are a hipster.
Oh.

>Cds have far better artwork then tapes by far, what the fuck are you talking about.
Nah.

>If you want to buy a release for the art only buy vinyls.
Cassettes are cheaper for me and the musicians to make.

>>53475624
Seriously, these threads are only a guise for non-musicians to try to figure out why people buy cassettes and point fingers at the big bad meanie hipster.
>>
>>53475657
Just saying, you probably release music in some genre hipsters love. You didn't prove me wrong by posting your band. And they probably weren't real cds anyway. I'd rather buy a tape then some cheap cdr that had no effort put into the design.
>>
File: 1390497317830.jpg (16KB, 296x333px) Image search: [Google]
1390497317830.jpg
16KB, 296x333px
>>53475730
>hipsters
>>
>>53475657
>>53475675
Thanks I appreciate the replies. I still have gripes with this cassette tape fad, but I'm at least starting to get why people (and labels) want them over CD's now, which was the point of the thread.
>>
>>53475730
What is a hipster?
>>
>>53475729
How do tapes have good artwork, they get stained and damaged way easier then a cds art, the text on the art is tiny and cds often have large booklets with lots of info unlike most tapes. Most tape art looks like it was printed off a low quality printer in comparison also. Sorry I hate to use the word hipster but if you like tapes more then cds then you're either a hipster or that special idiot that thinks analog sounds better than digital. "muh warmth!"
>>
Tapes are good for genres like vaporwave since you don't have to clear the samples like you would on a vinyl or cd release, hence why I never see a vaporwave vinyl or cd.
>>
>>53475822
>>
>>53475730
That's such a silly argument. There's "hipsters" in every single genre in existence. There's just as many top 40s pop hipsters as there are harsh noise hipsters. It's a meaningless term.

And no, pretty sure they were real CDs. I never got one myself though.
>>
>>53475857

You don't need to clear shit if you get the right pressng plant. There's literally thousands of unauthorised remix 12" records with uncleared samples out there. Albums that are long out of print get "reissued" the whole time too.
>>
>>53475917
You just shitposted not me, my post was informative and not just some stupid may-may image post unlike yours. Try harder.
>>
>>53475952
Weird that none of the more popular vaporwave albums got a vinyl release than. Tape probably fits the genre better anyway though.
>>
>>53475917
saved
>>
>>53476015

It's just pure reality, there isn't 1000 or even 500 people out there willing to buy LP's of that kind of thing. Postage is also fucking killer for LP's these days, even internally in the US.
>>
What's everybody's experience with selling music at shows? What sells best? Cd's, tapes, vinyl, etc.? Is it worth the investment?
>>
>>53476256
from my experience, vinyl if you can afford it

then cassettes
>>
>>53476276
I live in a decent sized town (population est. 80,000 people) and got a big city about 20 minutes away. I think I might take a chance and make an investment.
>>
>>53476061
You think it would be warranted for a popular release like the mac plus album or eccojams though. A vinyl pressing of say 300 copies for one of those would probably sell out after a while.
>>
>>53476782

Holy fuck, I just looked at the Eccojams prices on Discogs. It sold for $300 at one point! Thats early days American Tapes levels.

There's gonna be a huge amount of money to be made in like 10 years in bootlegging these kind of albums. It's big in hardcore punk where people have wandered away from the scene and people want the records so it's pretty common.
>>
>>53474031
It's quirky, analog is fun, and it's cheep.
>>
>>53474031
Cheap way to release physically for small artists
Nostalgia
good for lofi stuff
>>
Hip kids always wanna be nostalgically ironic. I remember going to a house show and seeing heaps of VHS tapes and cassettes while kids were sitting on a couch watching netflix using a PC. Hip kids are dumb man.
>>
>>53475169
>1000 cassettes
that's a high number anon most cassette releases are in low hundreds or less
>>
>>53478018
would it be weird if i had an old video game system? its fun to go back and play n64 games

maybe it's fun to go back and watch old VHS tapes
>>
What are the /mu/ recommended cassette labels?
>>
>>53476256
Download cards.
>>
>>53478542
It would be weird if you tried to play new games on an old video game system, yes. Old games, not so much, since that was the best technology at the time of their release, even though you can now play most of them on newer systems now.
>>
>>53478785
you can enjoy something without having to worry about how practical it is

just like cassettes
>>
>>53478832
Of course. But once you start trying to rationalize it as being superior, when it's clearly not, prepared to be called a hipster tryhard.
>>
>>53478656
I've bought from humansoundsrecords.bandcamp.com and hacktivismrecords.bandcamp.com both good shit run by /mu/tants
>>
>>53478542
You can find most things that were on VHS on a digital format. They are easily accessible. The same isn't true for some old games. Not everyone can into emulators.
>>
>>53478994
no ones claiming they're superior lol, just fun!
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.