[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Today is Jun's and Dilla's birthday. Nujabes/Dilla

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: JumnV.jpg (407KB, 2952x1944px) Image search: [Google]
JumnV.jpg
407KB, 2952x1944px
Today is Jun's and Dilla's birthday.

Nujabes/Dilla thread?

When was the first time you heard them? How have they affected your life?
>>
>>53429805
When I was 15, thanks to Adult Swim and Steve-O's tribute album to him, "Muffins". Got Donuts and completely changed as a person.
>>
>>53429805
Nujabes I got from Samurai Champloo and J Dilla through last.fm.

Jun's beats got me through some tough shit
>>
Nujabes got me through a period where I was undermedicated and solving my problems with a bottle of whiskey. If it wasn't for his music I probs would have killed myself on my long walks home.
>>
File: bdd73d38.jpg (118KB, 806x778px) Image search: [Google]
bdd73d38.jpg
118KB, 806x778px
>tfw Dilla and Nujabes will never collab

it hurts
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (548KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
548KB, 1920x1080px
I don't usually like to be a faggot and complain to people on the internet about problems I encounter but when I was 18 I went to University to study law, I didn't really want to do it but I felt like I would make my parents proud if I could be something respectable like a lawyer.

During my second month, I had a terrible break down, I wasn't going to classes and I was doing a lot of drugs. I fucked around too much and probably went manic, I got checked into an adult psychiatric ward for 14 days and put on a whole bunch of shitty pills, I think I tried to commit suicide while I was there (it's all a blur when I try to think back on it). Anyway, when I got out of there my brother took me shopping for some cds, I found Modal Soul that day.

It definitely had some therapeutic effect on me, I felt a weird connection to Nujabes' music, the whole abstract,chill melody really made me feel at ease about the whole situation. I just got a letter getting accepted to go back to University after three years, and on Nujabes birthday no less.
>>
>>53431238
>tfw your post almost sends thread to 404
Bump
>>
>>53431056
they did
[spoiler]in heaven[/spoiler]
>>
at least we knew Dilla was drying

Nujabes made me cry ;(
>>
I'm from Detroit, & have heard Dilla's shit almost daily. Rip to the man, he made some great shit for his time, but he's influenced an entire generation of producers to make some of the most dated, boring beats. I'm so fucking tired of just hearing chopped up jazz/lounge samples with the same drum kits over & over. I wish Dilla & Nujabes could just me respected instead of imitated at this point.
>>
>>53429805

>Look up news articles on J Dilla and Nujabes
>Loads of articles and tributes to J Dilla
>tfw literally nothing about Nujabes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qU2MXeAz1E
>>
>mfw i share my birthday with j-dilla and nujabes
>>
may just be that I'm an ESTfag but wasn't it yesterday?
>>
>>53435040
yeah im an est fag
>>
>>53433721
But there are some great producers inspired by Jay Dee and Nujabes out there, like Madlib, Black Milk, knxwledge...
>>
I have never been able to fully get into Nujabes. He's not bad and I've enjoyed his stuff but nothing tops Dilla in my opinion. When I listen to Nujabes I feel like I'm playing Stones Throw on the Disney Channel.

Anyone got a specific track recomendation? I feel like there's something I'm missing.
>>
>>53435264
madlib was dillas peer, i'm sure he learned some things from dilla but i wouldnt say dilla inspired madlib. he's been doing his own thing for just as long as dilla.

black milk sucks.

i'll give you knxwledge all though his body of work is very hit and miss.
>>
>>53435389
But when Knxwledge hits it he hits it HARD.
>>
File: luvsic6.jpg (787KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
luvsic6.jpg
787KB, 900x900px
>Can't find Luv (Sic) Part 6 in FLAC anywhere
Truly suffering.
>>
>>53433821
Nujabes is literally a nobody
>>
Donuts was great, but I think it's overrated (or overpriced at record stores). Hipsters flock to it, just like they do MF Doom. Don't get me wrong, J Dilla and Doom are legendary in Hip Hop, but it pisses me off when hipsters listen to them and consider them the greatest producer and mc, just because of their "cult" following. Like 30$ for Donuts, yet Petestrumentals is going for 10$ ... get the fuck outta here. Anyways one of my personal favourites from Dilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff9eDId1GtM
>>
>>53431238
>I was doing a lot of drugs

I hate it when people say this. Like, be more specific. Were you smoking weed or doing heroin? 'Cause it's a fucking world of difference.
>>
I had heard "Battlecry" on Samurai Champloo back when it was on Adult Swim and I liked it, but I didn't check to see who it was by or any other research. Fast forward to 2012, my roommate and I would invite one of our friends and his gf over to our house to hang and drink. He and I would take turns picking the music. One time, we were the only ones still up and drinking so he played a Nujabes instrumental and we tried to freestyle over (neither of us could). After that I had to find whose beats those were. Now I love Nujabes.
>>
>>53436372
i wish petestrumentals was only 10 at my store

either way, donuts is less about purely the audio and more the dying thoughts of a great producer
>>
I found both artists in 8th grade before I knew either one, especially Dilla, were hugely famous. I actually prefer Nujabes's music, but they've both had a significant impact on how and what I listen to to this day. The Luv Sic series still gives me chills to listen to
>>
How can anybody listen to Donuts? All the songs are 1 minute long goddammit.
>>
>>53433721
and in some cases nujabes just flipped a track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkk6m14htzw
>>
>>53436800
what do you mean, of course i can. how would the song length matter for an album? maybe dont listen to it on shuffle if you are
>>
>>53436832
I start to get into it and then the song ends. Definitely not for me.
>>
>>53436949
fair enough. i think the fleeting sound is part of the feel of the album.

if you didn't know he wrote it on his deathbed. I always felt that the tracks being short is dilla communicating how at the end of his life, everything is fleeting. when youre dying you finally begin to appreciate how good everyhting is, but you don't have time to fully experience it, which is analogous to his beats being short but sweet.
>>
>>53433166

oh god the feels
>>
>>53433166
how can people being such angsty athiests? just let people feel comforted byy that shit
>>
>>53437365

what?
>>
What album do I start with for Nujabes
>>
>>53437738
sorry, that was super unclear. im saying how can people be angsty teenagers and against religion. your post made me understand that people are comforted by the idea of heaven and religion.
>>
>>53437860

oh i get chu

no worries m8, that's a good point
>>
>>53437860

I was that way until my grandmother died

but i've hoped ever since that she got what she wanted at the end
>>
>>53429805
Holy fuck they were born the same day?
>>
>>53429805
>both made boring instrumental memerap
>both are dead

And nothing of value was lost.
>>
J Dilla is fucking pleb garbage

>XD I TOOK THE MAIN MELODY OF SOMEONE ELSE'S SONG AND LOOPED IT OVER A GENERIC DRUMBEAT SO 17 YEAR OLD WIGGERS CAN "CHILL" TO top lel!!
>>
>>53438000
this was the arguement against DJs in the 80s lol
>>
>>53437975
>>53438000
Why are you here? There's plenty of other threads for music you probably enjoy. Why come and shitpost in our thread?
>>
>>53438315
>make a thread concerning shit music, gradually reducing the quality of the board

People don't want that for some reason.
>>
>>53438367
>2 kpop threads
>1 bandcamp thread
>1 spongebob thread
>4 metal threads
whats your excuse
>>
>>53438367
>shit music
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it shit.
If it was truly shit, absolutely nobody would like it.
>>
>>53431238
What, you´re going to the same course and college again? Niqqa don´t be stupid
>>
>>53438367
shouldn't you be in a post-rock thread somewhere, you full-on autist?
>>
>>53438367
I'm going to make more of these "shit music" threads just to spite you, nigger
>>
File: NMCeJKH.png (223KB, 595x619px) Image search: [Google]
NMCeJKH.png
223KB, 595x619px
>>53438608
Fucking kek.
>>
>>53437811
Metaphorical Music
>>
>>53435339
this

I've tried so hard to get into nujabes but it feels like he takes the sentimental, jazzy mood of Dilla's best work and overdoes the shit out of it until it's just kind of corny. Not gonna lie, a lot of Nujabes beats sound something made for like an insurance commercial or something.

Dilla beats are beautiful but they maintain a certain grittiness so it doesn't feel too corny or contrived. Or maybe i'm just wrong can anyone rec me Nujabes stuff that isn't gay?
>>
>>53437975
>>53438000
I feel sorry for you
>>
I heard Jay Dee way back, when he did Running and Drop for the Pharcyde. The beats he did for labcabin were dope, but that was a depressing album, at least compared to Bizarre Ride. Ditto Tribe's Beats, Rhymes, & Life.

Because of that, while I definitely respected Jay Dee's skills as a producer, I thought people weren't bringing it lyrically on his stuff. It took me a long time to come around to his productions.

Nujabes I unfortunately found out about after he died and, although I heard the name thrown around here and there on the internet and thru friends, I never bothered to check him out. I regret that I wasn't into him more when he was alive.

Rest in Beats, playas.
>>
>>53429805
I decided to listen to J today, now im gonna try and get back into nujabes
>>
Post up some of your faves, bros

Dj Cam - Love junkee Feat Cameo and J Dilla (J Dilla Remix)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HBc2Ysv9Oo

Tribe- Get a Hold- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kaFxBoTno

Pharcyde- Bullshit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc9sh4SfvSI

Slum Village feat Q-tip- Hold Tight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FQLgD_8wcs
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZvLCak3uY
>>
I forgot about Nujabes.
Oh my god it's so beautiful.
Listening to Luv(sic) 1-6 now.

Where do I start with J Dilla?
>>
Whenever I listen to Seba Jun I feel like I'm listening to a high school kid who listened to a bunch of DJ Krush records and though that they sounded really cool, so he decided to make his own.
>>
What Dilla essentials should I listen to today? All I've heard is Donuts, Like Water For Chocolate, and Champion Sound. And anybody got a list of the albums all the Luv(sic) parts are on?
>>
>>53439499
I love this tune.
It's very postmodern.

Who actually made it?
>>
>>53440530
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12YlQRjQ5x4
>>
>>53440561
No that one.
Listen to the tune in the video, it's mislabeled, that's why I'm asking for a source on it.
>>
File: uwot.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
uwot.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>53440600
Oh. I didn't know it was a shitpost in audio form.
>>
>>53440692
It is a pretty cool tune, though.
>>
File: welcometodetroit.jpg (45KB, 591x591px) Image search: [Google]
welcometodetroit.jpg
45KB, 591x591px
>>53440507
Welcome 2 Detroit is really good and also Fantastic, Vol. 2 by Slum Village is a dilla classic
>>
Speaking if Nujabes, does anyone have any links for Shing02's albums?
>>
>>53440507
>Dilla
>essentials
>implying any of that nigger's music is essential
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.