[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are The Beatles the greatest band ever? It's hard to think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 15

File: beatles.jpg (235KB, 754x752px) Image search: [Google]
beatles.jpg
235KB, 754x752px
Are The Beatles the greatest band ever? It's hard to think of a more all around complete musical group. Otherwise who would it be?
>>
blur
>>
File: the.png (3KB, 466x431px) Image search: [Google]
the.png
3KB, 466x431px
>>
Queen
>>
books
>>
Beach boys :^)
>>
Fugazi
>>
>>53388051
Why would you think Beatles were the greatest band?
>>
/mu/ would have you think The Velvet Underground and Captain Beafheart are more important.
>>
They might have been at some point in history but they have aged horrendously.

I cannot think of a time in the last 5 years i have heard anyone playing a beatles song anywhere.

Queen gets my vote
>>
John, Paul and George were GOAT pop songwriters but the band was shit together and always arguing and going off in different directions.
>>
no this 20 minute song about a man woman is better
>>
>>53388216

This must be bait. The Beatles' music is timeless. Queen's music is cheesy 70's stadium rock.
>>
They had a great inspiration but weren't great musicians so they couldn't be the better band. I don't think they are that overrated as people says.
>>
>>53388216
low quality bait
>>
>>53388234
How was the band shit together? They have some of the greatest chemistry in the history of pop/rock.
>>
>>53388234
Their work together was much better than their solo works.
>>
>>53388051

Definitely one of the greatest, plenty of others that are up there with them :)
>>
>>53388243
Justify how The Beatles are not great musicians. I'd particularly like to hear how Paul McCartney is not one of the greatest bass players in rock.
>>
>>53388246
Maybe they pushed eachother to do better but they didn't work together in the way that a really good band does.
>>
>George was only 26 by the time they recorded their last album
>tfw already 23 and have done nothing
>>
>>53388245
>>53388237

Sure, must be why boheniam rhapsody keeps getting voted the best song of all time and no beatles songs ever do.

Queen sold out stadiums for a reason.

Also we will rock you and we are the champions get played to millions of people around the world to this day in stadiums.

Whe was the last time you were at a football stadium and they started playing the beatles?

Theres a good reason for that...
>>
>>53388257
They are not great musicians because they had not a good technique and knowledge, we can't forget that they were autodidact musicians. The best example to compare is look at the Mothers of invention band and the complexity of the music that they performed (in fact is the complexity expected from real formed musicians).
>>
>>53388296
>zappa
i see where this is going
>>
>>53388180
Not OP but a lot of what gets taken for granted in rock music wouldn't have happened the way it did without them, they pioneered the idea that bands should be self-contained; do their own songwriting and playing without corporate interference.
They rewrote the lexicon of rock songwriting with the early work which /mu/ likes to dismiss. They were subtly sophisticated from a harmonic and melodic standpoint; even their most arguably poppy song - "She Loves You" - throws in a jazz chord at the end.
They were gifted singers and multi-instrumentalists, especially Paul, and their career reflects a wide variety of styles and creativity, yet consistency of qualityhey also went out at the top of their game without falling victim to the nostalgia crowd like the Stones or even the Beach Boys to an extent.

Honestly, they're in a league of their own.
>>
>>53388337
*quality. They

Dammit, really thought I was gonna get away with making a long post from my phone typo-free for once.
>>
>>53388330
I chose the Zappa's band because I know they were great formed musicians as I could chose some other band like Miles Davis Quintet, or some random orchestra. I mean, good formed musicians. It's not that hard.
>>
>>53388384
You're not backing up your opinion on the Beatles, you're just listing other groups in variedly different genres without drawing connections or comparisons.
>>
>>53388337
Every "invention" of the Beatles was done better by The Velvet Underground or the Beach Boys
>>
Beach Boys would be a better contender if so much of their music, even the great stuff, wasn't gay harmonizing
>>
>people unironically posting banana band

criticcore shite
>>
>>53388451
I'm talking about they as musicians (if we understand musicians by his musical knowledge and capacity with his instruments).

Beatles are one of my favourite bands but that's obvious when you analize their songs.
>>
>>53388284
Bohemian Rhapsody is a meme song
>>
>>53388501
>being so much of a mememaster that you can't see the influence it had
>>
>>53388468
Where did I say anything about invention? In fact, I think the constant emphasis on the Beatles' "innovations" is a big part of why so many people think they're overrated. Their real value lies in their craftsmanship and their consistency, both of which they had more of than the Velvets or the Beach Boys.
>>
>>53388284
Queen also consistently got booed out of stadiums because 90% their music was trash
>>
>>53388528
every one who bought it started a band ;)
>>
The Beatles and The Beach Boys are both the greatest bands of all time.
>>
goddamn so many people prop up the beach boys because they hate praising the beatles
>>
>>53388508
I cannot make heads or tails of this post.
>>
>>53388531
But that's wrong, the first half of the Beatles career was them playing boring pop songs people had been doing for years, considering most of it was trash that's not very consistent. The second half of their career was inconsistent as fuck, they put out Revolver and Sgt Pepper and then struggled to stick to a single theme or style, which made their albums suffer
>>
>>53388564
It's not hard to see that Pet Sounds beat the Beatles at their own game and Smile, even in it's unfinished state, was leaps and bounds ahead of anything that meme band put out
>>
>>53388570
you wrote a whole lot of nothing
>>
>>53388568
Why.
>>
>>53388580
>>53388564
>>
>>53388570
>the first half of the Beatles career was them playing boring pop songs people had been doing for years

Point me to another pop song circa 1964 with a comparable chordal vocabulary to If I Fell.

And their later work is consistent in terms of quality, not how superficially similar it sounds.
>>
>>53388051
Iron Maiden
>>
>>53388585
Thanks for sharing
>>
it's hilarious how literally no one can ever provide good criticism against the beatles.
>>
>>53388618
I don't know what those words mean so I'm going to assume you agreed with me
>>
>>53388632
"tear down the beatles" has been a game for about 50 years now and spans generations
>>
>>53388638
Read. Read this post and weep.

This is the future you chose, /mu/.
>>
>>53388638
aka he had a point, and you don't know a good counter to his point
>>
>>53388641
And still no one has succeeded.
>>
>>53388638
why even post here if you're completely clueless? what are you trying to achieve?
>>
How is Pet Sounds better than Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, or MMT?
>>
>>53388801
better everything
>>
Pet Sounds is the one of the most generic albums I have ever listened too. And TVU is just edgy for the sake of edgy.
>>
>control + f
>Stones
>0 results

pleb o clock
>>
>>53388823
>he doesn't like Take a Walk on the Wildside
>>
>>53388618
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23274

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/beatles/if_i_fell_crd.htm

Compare.
>>
>>53388867
it came out in 1967, not 1964.
>>
>>53388884
Oh wow THE GREAT DIFFERENCE.
>>
>>53388867
Yes, Zappa was also an extremely accomplished rock composer, but I was trying to refute the claim that the Beatles' early work had been "done for years," and posting a song from 1967 doesn't work for that.
>>
>>53388906
>Point me to another pop song circa 1964
3 years is a huge difference, especially considering how pop music completely changed in those 3 yeras. 1967 is completely different to 1964.
>>
they are probably the best, here is what i think according to top songs and albums:
1-Beatles 2-Radiohead 3-Pink Floyd 4-Led Zepp
>>
>>53388848
See, I know you didn't actually do that because I'm reading the word "Stones" in a post before yours right now.
>>
>>53388931
Pointing the Beatles changing is not pointing all the music changing. Beatles were known but not were THE TRUTH.
>>
>>53388964
It's not only the beatles that changed in that time. So many other things have too, basically everything, honestly. By 1967 pop music was a completely different thing to how it was in 1964.
>>
>>53388823
The thing about pet sounds us that wouldn't it be nice and god only knows have been played to death that has became kind of clichéd to most people similar to Beethoven 5th symphony.
>>
I would probably put Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in the conversation.

Radiohead will most likely be considered one of the best ever in the future
>>
>>53388990
What you consider pop music?
>>
>>53388931
>>53388964
>>53388990
I feel it's worth repeating that the original point was that an anon claimed the Beatles' early work was overly derivative of older music when it demonstratably wasn't. 1967 or Frank Zappa don't really affect that one way or the other.
>>
>>53389001
Yea people don't often realize how groundbreaking pet sounds actually was.

In 1966 it was just new and different to everything.
>>
>>53389032
The same people who think in such manner is the same people who disregard classical music (I don't listen to it often but I have appreciated it and liked it).

I would say pet sounds is quite timeless to some middle of the road synthpop album of the 90s.
>>
>>53389029
But their early work was obviously influenced by doo woop, rythm and blues or rock n roll.
>>
>>53389069
It synthesized and expanded on all of those styles, using uncommon chord progressions and voicings, as well as distinctive harmony singing.

And besides that, they were just a tight rock n' roll band. Instead of just being a team of session players picked by a producer, they had honed their skills and developed chemistry with each other by playing German dive bars for hours on end for weeks at a time. It all came together into something undeniable.
>>
>>53389032
Revolver was more groundbreaking in the same year.
>>
>>53389063
True. I think that pet sounds is definitely one of the pieces to stand the test of time. People will remember and learn it for centuries.
>>
>>53389102

That's what I call influence.
>>
>>53389131
Well yeah, no musicians exist in a vacuum, the Beatles wore their influence just like tons of other bands do. I just don't like seeing all of their early work disregarded as "boring pop" when it has a lot to offer.
>>
>>53388089
is that minimal scaruffi?
>>
>>53388855
perfectday.m4a
>>
>>53389158
But I don't think their early work is boring, in fact as them as Zappa has the same influences if we talk about doo wop.
>>
File: clueless.jpg (35KB, 306x286px) Image search: [Google]
clueless.jpg
35KB, 306x286px
>>53388638
>>
zappa bit so much doowop and 50s shit what is this nigga on
>>
What is so great about Pet Sounds? I don't understand. Is there a guide to appreciating what's going on in the sounds?
>>
>>53389217
just repeat and emphasize how influential it is over and over
>>
>>53389217
*what is going on in the songs
>>
>>53388580
>meme band

Alright retard, just keep in mind that without McCartney and Lennon's songwriting those two albums you just stick to to seek approval wouldn't even exist.
>>
>>53389217
To be honest, smile is better even in its unfinished state.

But pet sounds is quite great. There's a lot of subtle details and progression going on.

Just remember you don't have to like everything you listen to.
>>
>>53389217
The melodies and songwriting is absolutely one of a kind.

Complex, yet really beautiful thought on songs, with really expressive vocals and easy to relate to lyrics.

Not to mention all of the little things like the strings and basically all other background instrument that are constantly being used to compliment the already gorgeous melodies.

Everything about Pet Sounds was also planned, there are no coincidences, everything sounds like how Brian wanted it to sound, it's like a symhpony in a way.
>>
>>53389198
Right on, man. I just meant that it's an attitude I see a lot around here and it rubs me the wrong way. Glad you don't fall for it too.
>>
there is no better band than the beatles.
>>
>>53389125
Today! predates Rubber Soul and is better/more consistent - especially side B
Pet Sounds predates Revolver and it better and more consistent
SMiLE is Brian and Van Dyke Parks elevating pop music and creating something spiritual that hasn't been replicated to this day. Sgt Pepper is overrated garbage (why do people think it's better than Rubber Soul or Revolver - or any of their other albums for that matter)
>>
>>53389388
how is Today! more consistent than Rubber Soul? I don't see that at all.

And what makes Sgt Pepper overrated exactly?
>>
>>53389410
Side B, Brian's cannabis-produced ballads: Please Let Me Wonder, Kiss Me Baby, In the Back of my Mind

Side A has its moments too, namely When I Grow Up To Be A Man

Sgt Pepper is lauded as the greatest record of all time when it is pretty lackluster even compared to the Beatles other work
>>
>>53389388
Too bad The Beatles career doesn't end there, for your disgrace. Before and after 1965-67 they've been breaking the molds of pop music whereas Brian and his clowns were just struggling.

The british won the pop war.
>>
>>53388051
beach boys were better
>>
>>53388564
>>53388564
>>53388564
>>
>>53389437
Sgt Pepper is fucking amazing. It's has their best produced songs, and some of the songs and ideas in that album completely blows me away. They could REALLY create that circus atmosphere, as it's so crazy, funny, and even sad at the same time. The songs constantly changes and moving forward too which just makes it a hell of a ride.

You can't just namedrop songs to prove your point lol.

also
>talks about Today! B-Sides
>Doesn't even mentions She Knows Me
doing it wrong m8.
>>
>>53388638
>>
>>53389441
Okay? Neither do the Beach Boys... those are just their most acclaimed and most compared albums

Brian was the trailblazer before the Beatles ever came along. There was literally no one like him before or after. People have this idea that Brian dropped out after SMiLE - that simply isn't true. I get that maybe people don't immediately understand Smiley Smile's weirdness or artsiness. It really didn't offer anything new though. Friends, Sunflower, Surf's Up, and to a lesser extent, 20/20, Holland, Wild Honey and Love You are fantastic, it's just that most of the production was delegated to Carl Wilson and the rest of the members, especially Dennis, really stepped up with their own songwriting abilities. I just believe that they stopped trying to compete with the Beatles and did their own thing. Not to mention all the unreleased material from Landlocked, Add Some Music, and Adult/Child. To me SMiLE is the only evidence I need of Brian's superiority not only to the Beatles but to literally any other entity in pop music/
>>
>>53389466
name drop songs? i gave examples of what i thought made that record so great

she knows me too well is good, so is i'm so young, but i just listed the best songs in my opinion, or best examples
>>
Can we all just agree that Magical Mystery Tour is the best album from any of the bands mentioned in this thread?
>>
File: 1376271791744.png (285KB, 1062x706px) Image search: [Google]
1376271791744.png
285KB, 1062x706px
>>53388284
>must be why boheniam rhapsody keeps getting voted the best song of all time

Do you think Internet polls of nostalgic dadrockers are good indications of artistic merit, generally speaking?
>>
>>53389508
no, the single strawberry fields forever is the best thing from that but even that is not the best thing ever
>>
>>53389501
Yea but you said that Today! is more consistent than Rubber Soul and when I asked you why you just namedropped songs lol/
>>
>>53388284
>why was stadium rock being played in stadiums
lel
>>
>>53388550
I get that you find it fun to shitpost. but do you seriously not think that tvu was influential?
>>
>>53389522
consistency of the songs u dingus
it's like an early version of pet sounds
i won't go so far as to say that it's a concept album, i don't even believe that about pet sounds but it's full of solid emotional ballads and unprecedented production - especially side b which was the first time brian arranged and produced an entire work entirely stoned

listen to the instrumentation, the saxophone, the strings, this was one of the first times he begins using studio musicians and more sophisticated instrumentation over the beach boys as instrumentalists
>>
>>53389519
what is better than strawberry fields?
>>
>>53389441
the beatles were shite mate, and you know it.
they dont have any pop hits in their experimental era.
>>
>>53389558
smile
but that's not fair, there is nothing better than smile
>>
>>53389557
I know and love Today! but just name dropping songs doesn't proves anything.

I mean I can also say the Rubber Soul had Nowhere Man, Think For Yourself, The Word and Michelle. And I can also say that it's the first time The Beatles experimented with unusual instruments and more sophisticated themes.
>>
>>53389568

are you fucking retarded?
>>
What is smile everyone refers too? I can only see Smiley Smile and Smiles Sessions (which is like a hundred tracks) on spotify. Is it one of those?
>>
>>53389588
i don't get what you want me to say

yeah and today came out more than half a year before rubber soul
>>
>>53389595
Smiles Sessions. It's only around 19 tracks and it's less than 50 minutes.

Both of the albums are really good btw.
>>
>>53389609
I don't know, it's just weird that you called Rubber Soul more consistent than Today!.

Today! still feels messy and unorganized as were a lot of albums at the early 1960's.
>>
>>53389595
it's the most famous unreleased album
it was brian wilson wanting to make "spiritual music" with the help of collaborator and lyricist van dyke parks and artist frank holmes. after brian finished pet sounds, he was unsure of what to do next. he had some sort of lsd flashback episode in a bookstore and wanted to understand what it meant - i believe smile was directly inspired by this event. he took his third and final lsd trip after that to find the answers and wanted to make music to give everyone a religious, good experience and an extension of the good vibrations that good vibrations put off as a single. it was comprised of all of brian's interests and intellectual pursuits and presented as a zen koan. there was also the idea to take the american-ness of the band and utilize it thematically after writing heroes and villains. it's full of psychedelia and weirdness, techniques of western art music, lyrical puns, philosophy, references to historical events, and beautiful imagery. the most ambitious album ever attempted. because of many complicated reasons, it got shelved and a record called smiley smile came out in late 1967. brian was at the height of his (carefully constructed) media popularity and hipness with the haight ashbury and psychedelic scenes, so people were expecting a lot. heroes and villains basically tanked as a single (the successor to good vibrations) the beach boys also dropped out of monterey pop and woodstock, further cementing their status. they released many great albums afterwards and were popular in the uk and with the counter culture but they never had the same status as they did before smile. over the years songs from smile ended up on later albums and bootlegs and in 2004 brian released a solo album of what was supposed to be the finished smile album rerecorded with his band. of course this is not the same smile the world would have seen in 1967. he wasn't even finished and who knows what direction he would have taken.
>>
>>53389659
>Rubber Soul more consistent than Today!.
less consistent*
>>
File: pickwick-bookshop-scan-1000.jpg (229KB, 1000x958px) Image search: [Google]
pickwick-bookshop-scan-1000.jpg
229KB, 1000x958px
>>53389718
in 2011 smile sessions is archival recordings from 66-67 (71 if you count the children's song/child is the father of the man refrain on surf's up). it is the closest thing to an actual release, and in my eyes, is smile.
>>
>>53389718
and what about smiles sessions?
>>
>>53389733

>>53389731
>>
>>53389731
What are the songs he only finished in 2011? in songs like Wonderful, In Blue Hawaii, Song For Children and a few others his voice sounds completely different, were they really recorded during the 2000's?
>>
>>53389747
yea It wasn't posted yet as I was writing my post.
>>
>>53389752
No, that was in 2004 with Brian Wilson presents SMiLE. Wonderful was written in 66 or 67 in Brian's sandbox with VDP. An avant-garde deconstructed rerecorded version was included on Smiley Smile in 1967. It was included on many bootlegs after that. In Blue Hawaii is Brian and Van Dyke Parks coming together in 2004 to add lyrics to and finish the Smile track Love to Say Dada (the water section of the elements suite). Song For Children I assume you're talking about the ending refrain on Surf's Up. It's basically a reprise of Child is the Father of the Man. In 1971 by Jack Riley's suggestion, the Beach Boys, most Carl Wilson single handedly were trying to arrange a version of Surf's Up to add to their album of the same name. Every time they would work on it in Brian's home studio, he would get in his car and drive away (for years brian was uncomfortable with smile material, wrote it off in interviews, and i guess it held bad memories or something). One day while recording, he walked in and announced that it was missing a part and showed them lyrics that no one else had seen (a children's song, have you listened as they played, their song is love and the children know the way). i don't know if those were lyrics van dyke parks had written in 1967 or if brian made that up on the spot. it is my favorite piece of surf's up and maybe smile as a whole. it's got very complex vocal harmonies and a lot is going on. anyway, they put that version of surf's up with carl singing the words over the 1967 music i believe and it was the first time anyone had heard surf's up besides once on television when brian sang a solo demo version by his piano
>>
>>53389832
Also, off the top of my head the only differences or newly added material that I can think of that is obvious is the lyrics to the beginning part of Do You Like (Dig) Worms/Rock Roll Plymouth Rock, The "is it hot as hell in here or is it me..." and lyrics besides the chanting in In Blue Hawaii/I Love to Say Dada (also there was a reworked version of this on Sunflower called Cool Cool Water with some other lyrics)

There is a version (maybe more than one) where people tried to put together the smile sessions recordings from the 60s and add the extra 2004 material. it's floating around the net and you can download it from blogspot type sites that post bootlegs
>>
>>53389886
and Look!, Holidays, etc which didn't have lyrics originally

some alternate lyrics as well, I doubt I'm in Great Shape has the 'fresh zen air around my head... i'm in the great shape of the agriculture' lyric
>>
Most beach boys songs sound like they're made at the beach. That's alright if you're into that sort of sound but otherwise the beatles are clearly better and kept their own quirky (circus) sound to one album.
>>
>>53389904
fuckin bait
>>
>>53389911
Not even baitin'
>>
>>53388284
>Theres a good reason for that...

Because it doesn't fit in the setting?

When was the last time you went to a jazz club and they were playing Queen?

THEERES A GUD REASON FR DAT...
>>
>>53389915
because this sounds like the beach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOAUroLJnRc
>>
>>53389930
>>53388284
Hey Jude is a pretty common stadium song in the UK
>>
>>53389832
>>53389886
Ok, so I think the version of smiles sessions I always listened to is not usual, since I couldn't find the versions of the songs i'm talking about.

Anyway, i'm talking about this specific recording of "Children of The Man" that sounds like it was recorded recently, brian doesn't sounds like his old self. I
even uploaded it to mega here
https://mega.co.nz/#!SZgUUKiC!Q-6WaFEcAFfaY5N8TYalrs5PKBbSLng_gxUxbfAwbeY

Tell me what you think this is from please.
>>
>>53389946
Oh, that's from the 2004 version. Recorded with Brian and Brian's band in 2003
>>
>>53389945
Plebs should sing something decent like A Day in the Life
>>
>>53389964
interesting. So I think i've listened to the version you mentioned when people tried to put together the smile sessions from the 60's along with the 2004 material. I really love this version.

Do you think the original smile sessions that came out in 2011 is better?
>>
>>53389983
Yeah I like it most because it's recordings from the era with the wrecking crew and he had them do weird shit like he would tell hal blaine to make the tambourines sound 'like jewelry' for surf's up or marimba sound like 'the wind' for windchimes. it's kind of got its own atmosphere and sounds more lofi in a way too which adds to it. 2004 is a bit overproduced imo. I used to prefer it, especially the version of heroes and villains where he really delivers the i BEEN in this town lyric
>>
>>53390016
Apperantly I always listened to this version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-zve4GqQhg

That's weird. This version of "Rock Roll Playmouth" is my favorite song of all time, is it also from "Brian Wilsons Presents Smile"?
>>
>>53390067
it's the mashup of 67 and the 2004 bonus parts
it has the additional lines at the beginning that were never recorded until 2004 but written in 67 by van dyke parks

i first listened to it and downloaded it maybe in 2013. it's alright, i just haven't listened to it as much as smile sessions proper
>>
>>53390092
my version is called 'brian wilson presents: the smile sessions revisited' with 17 tracks
i guess it's an attempt to make the 'most complete' version of smile
>>
Smile Sessions has 139 tracks on spotify for some reason.
>>
File: BeachboysAllsummer.jpg (393KB, 932x904px) Image search: [Google]
BeachboysAllsummer.jpg
393KB, 932x904px
>>53388618
The Beach Boys had recorded songs just as harmonically varied at least two dozen times by then.

>>53388679
This band did between 1966-1967. Nobody else has since or before.

>>53389125
Revolver reiterated almost everything begun in Pet Sounds save for Tomorrow Never Knows.

>>53389595
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_(The_Beach_Boys_album)

>>53389904
Less than 10% of the Beach Boys discography has to do with surfing or the beach. Less than 5% of that 10% is even classified as surf rock.

>>53390225
Because it's a box set compilation of an album that doesn't exist. There are hundreds of hours worth of Smile tapes, but none of it was ever released. The first 19 tracks of The Smile Sessions are an attempt to make them into a coherent album.
>>
>>53388051
slipknot
>>
>>53390905
>>53388564
>>
>>53390905
>Less than 10% of the Beach Boys discography has to do with surfing or the beach

>Surfin' USA
>Surfin' Safari
>Surfer Girl
>All Summer Long
>Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
>Beach Boys' Party!
>Keepin' the Summer Alive
>Still Cruisin'
>Summer in Paradise

Sure bro.

>Revolver reiterated almost everything begun in Pet Sounds save for Tomorrow Never Knows.

And Pet Sounds reiterated everything begun in Rubber Soul
>>
>>53388237
>cheesy stadium rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZjjsrn9FY4
sure
>>
File: 1339663931178.jpg (105KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1339663931178.jpg
105KB, 500x500px
>>53391030
Rubber Soul reiterated everything the Beach Boys and Bob Dylan had done. Who are you trying to fool?

Just because the album was called "Summer Days" doesn't mean the content reflects summer. There are no "summer" songs on Summer Days apart from a single lyric in Girl Don't Tell Me.

And I can't believe you're even trying to count the post-70s albums.

The Beach Boys literally did not write a single surf, beach, or car song between the years 1965 and 1968. That's after All Summer Long (1964) and before the single Do It Again (1969).

Before All Summer Long, they had the albums Surfin' Safari, Surfin' U.S.A., Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, and Shut Down Volume 2. Recorded and released in the span of two years. The Beach Boys went on to record about 20+ more albums that had nothing to do with their namesake.
>>
>>53391030
>>53391026
you idiots don't know what you're getting yourself into. That guy is the biggest Beach Boys fanboy of all time and this thread will just get derailed and ruined thanks to you idiots.

You can't argue with that idiot he's too blinded by his love for the beach boys.
>>
>>53391065
goddamn sometimes I forget how great Queen can be. What a great song.
>>
>>53388216
>I've never been to a football match
Hey Jude is a staple, mang, get out more.
>>
File: smugbrian.jpg (28KB, 475x594px) Image search: [Google]
smugbrian.jpg
28KB, 475x594px
>>53391114
I have no idea what you're talking about. I like both bands.

But /mu/ is fucking stupid. There was a thread yesterday where people tried to say the Beatles did doubletracked vocals AND Leslie'd vocals first. Brian Wilson did both of those things in fucking 1963, before the Beatles had even made A Hard Day's Night.
>>
>>53391030
summer days and summer nights and party both have zero (0) surfing songs

the first four you listed has all of nine (10!!!) surfing songs on them.

try again.

>And Pet Sounds reiterated everything begun in Rubber Soul

in what way? how, musically, did pet sounds reiterate anything on rubber soul?
>>
>>53391114
>That guy is the biggest Beach Boys fanboy of all time and this thread will just get derailed and ruined thanks to you idiots.

there are at least two people around here who shill the beach boys. me, and apparently that guy.

and this anon is right, it's not smart to try to argue with either of us. but that's not because we fetishize the beach boys. it's because, unlike apparently 99% of people who talk about the beach boys, we've familiarized ourselves with the band and brian wilson.
>>
File: fist.jpg (198KB, 669x781px) Image search: [Google]
fist.jpg
198KB, 669x781px
>>53391142
>in what way? how, musically, did pet sounds reiterate anything on rubber soul?

Why even bother asking this, it's the same discussion had in every single thread, and he's just going to repeat the same since-debunked bullshit everyone else does.

"Rubber Soul inspired Pet Sounds' instruments!"

"Hardly. The only instrument Brian Wilson hadn't used until Pet Sounds was a theremin."

"(responds with some incoherent point about how Strawberry Fields gave Brian schizophrenia)"

Boring. Same shit as always.
>>
>>53391137
Saying that Revolver reiterated everything from Pet Sounds is just stupid. The Beatles always had their own way for harmony and it was always different from the beach boys. The Beatles also has their own way of composing and they have melodies very different from the Beach Boys.

Pet Sounds probably inspired some of the things in revovler but saying that it reiterated everything from pet sounds is just a thing that a giant, biased fanboy would say. These bands are very different from each other.
>>
>>53391167
yeah i should know better myself. feels like nearly every thread is total deja vu.

>>53391180
>The Beatles always had their own way for harmony and it was always different from the beach boys. The Beatles also has their own way of composing and they have melodies very different from the Beach Boys.

i don't necessarily disagree that revolver is a different album from pet sounds in many ways (i think paul's tunes are the only ones really influenced by it, particularly here there and everywhere and for no one), but how exactly can you justify a statement like "the beatles had different melodies from the beach boys"? what does that even mean, really
>>
>>53391167
I read an interview were BRIAN literally admitted that the Pet Sounds instrumentation was inspired by the one of Rubber Soul.
>>
>>53389388
Today! has fucking covers on it lmao, pls gtfo with that shit. 100% original material only belongs in this convo, not ripping off shit from the 50s to pad your record out, this ain't '63. Rubber Soul takes a giant dinosaur shit on that album.
>>
>>53391196
The Beach Boys has that thing were the melody goes around the Tonic while the melodies of The Beatles usually uses the Tonic very heavily.

The Beach Boys just had more complex melodies and many Beach Boys songs have a lot of different main melodies. Sometimes 4-5 different melodies in one song.
>>
>>53391180
Revolver had politicized lyrics, dry rocky textures and a slew of drugged-out pieces. It's an entirely different beast.
>>
>>53391212
today has literally one cover on it, and it's an original arrangement by brian. he made it his own song.

also
>100% original material only belongs in this convo

nice rockist attitude

>>53391238
ah, i see what you're saying now. i thought you were saying they sounded different or something which, to me, would be difficult to quantify. yeah they definitely approached melody songwriting-wise very differently from each other.
>>
>>53391255
oh whoops, two covers. i forgot about do you wanna dance. i always skip it because i don't like dennis's focal on it.
>>
>>53391255
>>53391262
Fuck off, covers blow and any record needing them is not breaking bread at the dinner table of this discussion.
>>
>>53391262
do you wanna dance is the worst beach boys song imo
>>
>>53391273
>Fuck off, covers blow

and why is that, my rockist friend?

>>53391277
it's not great but it's not even the worst song of their early career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywVEmOk1PY

this is

tbh do you wanna dance is great sonically speaking, i think brian's attempt at spector's wall of sound technique really shines during its chorus. but i just don't like their approach to it. i much prefer the mamas and papas version.
>>
>>53391290
Because they're awfully dated, even more than most Beach Boys stuff which is saying a lot, and a cheap grab for a complete track listing because you couldn't write enough of your own stuff in time. A rapper would never get away with straight up stealing a 32 from another nigga, don't see why bands should be let off the hook for it.
>>
>>53391370
>Because they're awfully dated

if you think I'm So Young sounds any more dated than any other song on the B side of today then your ears may be damaged

>and a cheap grab for a complete track listing because you couldn't write enough of your own stuff in time.

or the artist is making an individual statement through an existing song, which brian is because I'm So Young resonates with his personal life at the time and he made his own arrangement to accompany the song
>>
>>53391290
atleast county fair is a fun song. everything about do you wanna dance is annoying except maybe the guitars. it's just an obnoxious song.

their cover of "misirlou" is probably their worst though now that I think of it.
>>
>>53391400
>atleast county fair is a fun song.

i just can't stomach it. mike love's voice in the first year of their existence is so grating on my ears 90% of the time, and this song is his worst offense as a lead vocalist.

and yeah the misirlou cover isn't great but i like the original enough to not hate as much as county fair.
>>
>>53391397
If it's not your song it's not your statement. You're simply co-opting someone else's words and work. Another Beatles thread ruined by The Brian Wilson Appreciation Society. Fan-fucking-tastic.
>>
>>53391429
>If it's not your song it's not your statement.

rockist pls go

>Another Beatles thread ruined by The Brian Wilson Appreciation Society.

why does this matter? do you REALLY need a thread to talk about the beatles in? have you not already discussed everything there is to discuss with them? it's the goddamn beatles, dude.
>>
>tfw you'll never hear Carnival of Lights
>>
>>53391411
what's wrong with mike's voice there?
>>
>>53391537
it's particularly nasally (which is saying a lot given how nasal he was in their early career) and the way he says certain lines just hurts my ears.

>thuh mos' speshulest gurle i knew

christ.
>>
>>53389168
yep
>>
The Beatles are probably one of my favorite bands, but I really hate their fanbase and agree that they're overrated.

As far as I'm concerned, they made nice, creative pop music that was new and influential at the time and that's about it. They were neither talentless hacks that got lucky nor demigods that nobody else could come close to.
>>
>>53391654
my thoughts excactly
>>
Ringo was the best beatle.
>>
>>53393238
/thread
>>
File: Cover-Steely-Aja.jpg (2KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
Cover-Steely-Aja.jpg
2KB, 200x195px
there is only one band who could possibly take this cake: pic related

if you want to listen to better music you go /classical/
>>
>>53393238
he's gonna be the last one to die
>>
>>53391448
>You are only allowed to discuss what I want to!
Wow.
>>
>>53389886
>newly added material that I can think of that is obvious is the lyrics to the beginning part of Do You Like (Dig) Worms/Rock Roll Plymouth Rock,
Wrong, that is a vintage lyric, it was just never recorded by The Beach Boys in 1966, and Brian likely forgot the melody and it is now a bit different. But the lyrics are vintage.
>>
Maybe the kinks or u2
>>
>yfw another beatles thread gets taken over by beach boy fanboys
>>
>>53393238
They're dying in order of best to worst.
>>
File: 600x600 (1).jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
600x600 (1).jpg
48KB, 600x600px
>implying the Olivia Tremor Control didn't make two Beatles albums better than the Beatles did
>>
File: son-this-is-bait.png (57KB, 625x656px) Image search: [Google]
son-this-is-bait.png
57KB, 625x656px
>>53394243
>>
>>53394243
>paul died first
damn you might be right
>>
File: John-Lennon-011.jpg (41KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
John-Lennon-011.jpg
41KB, 620x372px
Never going to happen. Tomorrow Never Knows was the most important 3 minutes of music of the twentieth century.
>>
>>53394387
kek. This confirms it
>>
>>53394374
this is almost true. OTC veteran fan here and I can almost confirm that.
>>
File: Ringo.jpg (122KB, 1400x814px) Image search: [Google]
Ringo.jpg
122KB, 1400x814px
>>53394243
>>53393426
>>53393238
How does he still look forty? Meanwhile Paul looks like he will transform into a mummy at any moment.
>>
>>53394374
nah otc is nowhere near as good as the Beatles
>>
>>53394374
well obviously. but being a slightly better beatles in the 90s isnt really the same. the beatles were worse but were far far more important.
>>
>>53394374
20 minutes of filler doesn't make it better >>53394412
How long is "veteran fan"?
>>
>>53394438
about 2 1/2 years of very intense listening. Literally have everything in their catalogue even a new released song by the name of "the same place." (supposedly the title of their new album) i had to rip it from one of John Fernades's radio show. Yeah they are easily the most accomplished group in E6 and arguably one of the most accomplished groups of the 90s. Their vision is fully intact and they did all of the recording and production themselves which says a lot to me. Plus 90% of their shit is fucking gold. With the exception of some filler.
>>
>>53394510
>about 2 1/2 years
lol
>>
>>53394519
I believe thats more than enough time to more be then qualified to adequately assess a bands discography. Especially a band with roughly only 3/4 albums worth of material.
>>
>>53388538
source? Ive never heard of this happening
>>
>>53389568
>Penny Lane
>Hello Goodbye
>Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
>All You Need Is Love
>I Am The Walrus
>Blackbird
>not hits
>>
>>53394843
>Blackbird
>a hit
[citation needed]
>>
>>53394559
What do you think about the Dusk demos and Black Swan Private Tape?
>>
>>53393660
>Kinks
this. You just can't say Lennon and Macca were better songwriter than Davies. He is at very least on the same level, most probably better.
>>
>>53395289
Nah
>>
>>53388632
>it's a meme band!
>>
>>53394413
he looks like he could be Bono's brother
>>
what olivia tremor control album should i start with?
>>
I find it weird that Marilyn Manson tried so hard to be offensive to soccer moms, yet is now played at every sports event. I think it's funny how fast someone can go from edgy to mundane.
>>
>>53388679
>The
>>
>>53395766
lol nice one. But seriously Black Foliage is more accessible right off the bat (and more consistent) than Opera House.
>>
>>53395808
>fact
>>
>>53395890
>>53395808
What instrument does he play again?
>>
>>53395949
He plays the lusty negro attitudes.
>>
>>53394413
he looks like he would go into bars and try to pick up chicks, saying "i was in the beatles, you know" and they'd just walk away
>>
>>53394413
Hair still dark and no real male pattern baldness
Intelligent beard to cover up the old guy's neck
Sunglasses for the eye wrinkles

But even without all that he'd still look pretty young for his age, yeah. I've always felt that the weird looking people were always the ones that aged better.
>>
>>53397144
he definitely dyes his hair
>>
>>53391448
>rockist

yikes
>>
>>53394510
I've been listening to them for about 6 years and have gone through demos and a few concert bootlegs and I don't consider myself a veteran because that implies I was listening to them in the 90s and lived in Athens.
Also, just because you visit townhall doesn't make you a superfan all of a sudden.
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.