[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drum Solos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: animal Drums.jpg (31KB, 473x258px) Image search: [Google]
animal Drums.jpg
31KB, 473x258px
Looking for songs that feature awesome drum solos... or just great drum line.
>>
One of my favorite songs to jam along to is "Time Ed" by moe. off of the live album Warts & All IV. It has a fun beat that changes around a bit so it keeps you busy and then a good solo to play around with.
>>
Otherwise if you just want a crazy solo that you probably won't be able to follow anyway, try and search online for Tool or Danny Carey playing 46 & 2 or Laturalus. Especially live.
>>
>>53328425

Thanks, listening right now.
My kid is doing the "School of Rock" and is super interested in drums, so I thought I'd find some songs with good drums in them for him to listen to/play with.
>>
>>53328313
Anything that features:
Chris Dave
Ronald Bruner Jr.
Thomas Pridgen
Brain Blade
Chris Coleman
And countless others honestly

RBJ is closest to your pic btw, so if you like ridiculously fast and crazy, check him out first
>>
>>53328470
Don't do this lmao.

YouTube the dudes I've posted and start from there.
>>
>>53328490
Another one of my favorite drummers who does a lot of cool complex stuff too is Stanton Moore of the bands Galactic and Stanton Moore Trio. He has lots of tutorials and how-to stuff also which might be good for that. Lots of stuff with him on YouTube otherwise he has this teaching DVD called "Groove Alchemy"
>>
>>53328562
LOL Thanks.

My music knowledge is terrible, but that's because I have no head for music, sadly.
I appreciate the suggestions!
>>
>>53328595
Dude if your kid is into drums, NURTURE HIS INTEREST.

Now for real, look up RBJ and listen to him talk about him playing growing up. Thomas Pridgen too.
>>
>>53328562
Idk why you would say not to do that... Danny Carey is incredible to watch... Unless maybe you tink Tool wouldn't be the best for his kid haha. Danny Carey definitely got me into drumming even though I don't really like hard rock/metal.
>>
>>53328669

Oh absolutely. That's why we did the School of Rock, he got to play all kinds of instruments and decided he liked drums best.
We've got him set up for a private lesson to see if that's really his ideal thing, and after that, we'll go from there.

I'm definitely one of those encouraging parents, not a discouraging one.
>>
Easy Money by King Crimson has fantastic drumming.
>>
>>53328674
Danny Carey isn't as good as people make him out to be
I mean if the kids like it, cool, but there's so much more to learn from these literally masters of drum set.
Watch a side by side comparison of DC and any gospel drummers, of all ages, and see how even high school kids smack him around rhythmically, musically, and chop wise.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 457x342px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 457x342px
Glenn Kotche of Wilco is a very interesting drummer/percussionist too. He does some "outside the box" type stuff. He's the guy that did that commercial for Kohler faucets recently.
>>
>>53328742
Haha until you realize how loud the drums are. It's good that you got him in lessons though. I took lessons like the first year and a half that I played and I'm so glad I did. It got me to learn the basics and kept me interested for those first few months when I didn't really know what I was doing.

11 years later and I'm still going at it.
>>
>>53328827

Yeah, there is that. The joke is we'll keep the drums at grandpa's house...

but how do the electrical drums hold up? I mean, padded, they can be plugged into headphones... I know it won't be the same quality, but would that be something to consider?

Just to be clear, I'm not against buying an actual drum set for him, just looking into options.
>>
>>53328771
I kinda agree. It's mostly the weird timing and the beats he uses with that timing. But that big bronze drum kit and the solo from 46 & 2 definitely helped to make me a drummer instead of a guitarist. That's why Stanton Moore is probably my favorite now. I like those guys that are more musical and don't need a giant kit with 20 cymbals to make an interesting and complex rhythm.
>>
>>53328895
Electrical drums are fine to practice on if that is what the situation necessitates, but it isn't the same. You can't use all the same techniques to get certain sounds out of them.

They do make these pads though that go on top of the heads and cymbals however to make them quiet while practicing. I will find a pic/link. They're a good investment if you get the acoustic kit
>>
>>53328917
Gospel drumming has all the complex timing and then some. Filling up space with some pretty out there rhythmic interpretation and implied tempos and back beats etc.
you should give it all a listen. It's not as obvious as it is in music like meshuggah and tool and stuff
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 640x1136px
Here's the mute pads. Like $70 from Musicians Friend to fit a basic 5 piece set. Will definitely prevent some headaches for you while your kid plays and they are really easy to take on and off the drums.
>>
>>53328981
OP invest in pads for acoustic drums and cymbals. Better than electric.
Electric is fun to fuck around with though. But ypu can't beat the real thing.
>>
>>53329044
Very cool, thanks. I'll look into them.
>>53329063
Yeah, electric is good for messing around, but I think ideally when learning to play, you really need to get a feel for the real thing, I was just curious how others felt about them.
>>
>>53329063
Exactly what I'm saying. Electric drums are only if you absolutely need them, like living in an apartment with asshole neighbors or something and even then you would probably have the acoustic set in storage for gigs and stuff.

Another point for starting out on drums- Like any other instrument, don't buy the cheapest stuff you can find. A beginner set from a good company like a Pearl Export or Tama Rockstar is the way to go. Same with cymbals, go with the beginner lever Paiste, Zildjian, or Sabian.

If you're tight on money, you can always buy second-hand too. Lots of people buy drums and get bored after a few months and sell them on Craigslist, pawn shops, or music shops.

If you buy a $200 drum kit from walmart or toys r us, your son won't have nearly as much fun as a real setup. Plus you can upgrade piece by piece as far as cymbals, snares, etc. A $600 Pearl or Tama will also come with decent hardware that isn't going to break the minute the kid starts beating on the drums.
>>
What the drummer does in this video is what made me want to be a drummer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVodXzNmPM
>>
>>53328313
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KKhAsaWGsM
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.