[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Times you realised you were a pretentious hipster >Be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

ITT: Times you realised you were a pretentious hipster

>Be me, at party
>Talking in a circle with some friends and their friends
>Converstaion comes to what kind of music we listen to
>comes to some qt 8/10
>"oh, uhh, recently ive been listening to a lot of postrock"
>wat
>ask her what bands in specific, say i love postrock too
>shecouldbetheone.jpg
>she seems excited that someone knows what shes talking about "I've really been enjoying Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, and Mogwai!"
>fucking crescendo-core
>I ease off the topic to avoid embarrassing myself by subtly insulting her taste.

I dont even have anything against "crescendo-core", hell, I never even use the term normally, I was just dissapointed at her entry-level taste. I woke up the next morning and laughed at myself, praying it never happens again.

what about you guys? Any times that your /mu/ instincts kicked in?
>>
>>53221737
are you 12
>>
>>53221737
I can't belieive how autistic some of you are

Why the fuck would you feel the need to document this

You must have the worst life

I feel bad for you
>>
>yeah, pink floyds the dark side of the moon is the greatest album ever
>i think you´re objectively wrong, man. here, check out these charts i made on 60s psychedelic minimalist synth that are obviously better than the pleb floyd
>take my charts from my messenger bag
>they already walked on and left me
plebs
>>
fuck you OP you piece of shit
>>
>>53221737
>insulting her taste
thats where you went wrong, you could have suggested her some other bands to check out and spent the whole night talking and eventually made out or exchanged numbers

no wonder you scrubs complain of no post rock qt gf
>>
>>53221893
kek
>>
>>53221737
>i was born into this secret elite club

bro you could have showed her new music if you didn't have such a small-dick complex. you had to start somewhere faggot.
>>
>>53221779
>>53221828
I never said it was a normal thing to do. a minute later i thought "oh shit what have i done" and realised i probably should have just talked about those bands.

The thread isnt called "Times u totally sch00led some pleb with ur superior taste", it's not a memory im proud of. I just wanted to hear some times /mu/ accidentally said/did something autisticly pretentious
>>
>implying mogwai aren't amazing
>>
>None of my friends listen to albums
>I care
>>
>>53221988
>implying they havnt gone downhill since rave tapes
>>
for one im not a pretentious hipster so i cannot relate at all.
>>
>>53221737
You're a fucking autist
>>
File: untitledsa.jpg (9KB, 279x272px) Image search: [Google]
untitledsa.jpg
9KB, 279x272px
>if you haven't accepted the fact that individual music taste is exclusively personal yet, then you will always be a pretentious hipster on some level
>>
EITS's last album was pretty good and TWDY are also pretty good. You should've suggested some of your patric' tastes with her anon. Could've been a nice bonding thing,
>>
my friends havent even heard of radiohead, led zeppelin, animal collective or pretty much any non current radio artist

then i gotta come on here and listen to all you faggots insulting people who listen dont listen to your exact bands
>>
>>53222166
>led zeppelin

I always thought that they were a band that people just have knowledge of when they're born like the beatles. How old are your friends?
>>
>>53221737
You are scum.
>>
anytime i'm in the car with friends and someone puts on some lame pop punk shit or buttrock, i get visibly uncomfortable.

Then I might put on some post punk or something and everyone complains and have a vote to change it. My natural reaction is tell them how they just don't understand it as i cross my arms and pout.
>>
>coworker that never talks to me asks me about the "weird music" I listen to
>"haha yea, I listen to a lot of weird music"
>"what do you type in when you're looking for music?"
>"usually the name of the artist or album"
>"no like what type of music do you like?"
>"I don't really discriminate genres, I'm very musically tolerant"
>"Do you listen to old music or new music?"
>"uhhhmmm. both?"
>"I like rap and country, but not new stuff"
>"Why is that?"
>"Cause it's all hoes and trucks. I can't relate"
>"I think you shouldn't have to relate. I think you should be able to understand."
>"This was a mistake talking to you."

Then he just walked away.

I don't know what I did. I thought I was handling it so well. No name dropping or anything.

Guess it's back to not talking about music in public ever.
>>
>>53222222
I'm just curious to see who got this
>>
>>53222245
You're joking but this regularly happens to me.

>friend plays MCR and NOFX in his car
>always asks me if I like it
>"it's not my thing"
>"you're such a hipster anon, plug your ipod in"
>[spoiler]"what does molesting you mean? touching us in uh places we don't want"[/spoiler]
>>
>>53222394
>haha yea

Stopped right there.
>>
>>53222083
>>53221912
>>53221931
It's alright, she wasn't that great anyway. She never contributed anything interesting to the conversation and seemed like a pretty dull person. There are better fish in the sea
>>
>>53221949
>later i thought "oh shit what have i done" and realised i probably should have just talked about those bands.

I can see where you're coming from, but you suck at writing.

>I ease off the topic to avoid embarrassing myself by subtly insulting her taste.

So you eased off the topic to avoid insulting her. Iktf I've met people whom I've thought might "stimulate" and your genre of interest, only to find out they don't know anything.

Next time find some common ground and suggest some accessible music to ease her into your idea of post rock.
>>
>>53222442
what did I do now. fuck.
>>
>>53222428
>>53222245

do people really still listen to MCR and shit? Around here its literally only hip-hop and folk that people listen to, but that shit was popular back in 2006
>>
>>53222491
People around my area still listen to Baby Bash's "Suga Suga" and Chingy and Missy Elliot and shit.
>>
>whats your favorite rapper
>"u-uhh you wouldnt know them, b-but dalek?"
>(of course, they dont know them)
>"well if its someone you know, that rapper who made CoCo"
>(laughs)

the chill is retained
>>
>>53222491
He's the only one that I know of. He also listens to Lana del Rey and Cradle of Filth, so he's pretty much my only friend that I can get to listen to new stuff and talk about music with.
>>
>>53222446
yeah I've been thinking about how to make my case seem less autistic, but i wrote the OP so bad that i'll just let the "you fucking autist" comments flow in instead.

I think i also eased off the conversation cause A) Other people would get uncomfortable while we talked about a pretty niche genre, and B) There was a chance of me going to far and name dropping some even more niche or experimental bands/genres out of instinct. I had never talked to anyone outside of the internet about postrock so it was a different experience then "oh, just a lot of folk i guess"
>>
>>53221737
>Cousin-in-law asks me if I'm still making music and what kind
>It's like... progressive metal stuff I guess
>Blankest stare you have ever seen

I was also really drunk. Oh well, my family knows I'm a dick and we're good.
>>
>>53222552
you poor soul. Should have said Kendrick, he's popular
>>
File: 1421223761593.jpg (77KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1421223761593.jpg
77KB, 480x480px
>>53222552
>I'm in love wit da cocohhh
>>
if you have a conversation with someone about music and they mention lame artists like that you should just be nice and recommend them something better, while not insulting their taste at all
>>
>>53222394
>>"I think you shouldn't have to relate. I think you should be able to understand."

I think the problem was that you were preparing to get philosophical when he was just being a pleb dipshit looking for small talk.
>>
>>53221949
You're weird
>>
>>53222394
>I like rap and country
Whoa, everything is backwards.
>>
>>53222394
>>"Cause it's all hoes and trucks. I can't relate"
>>"I think you shouldn't have to relate. I think you should be able to understand."

How much is there to understand about hoes and truck country? And if you understand it, why do you need to like it? You implied he didn't understand pop country when he told you it just doesn't do anything for him. You came off as too musically tolerant, as if you had no preferences either way.
>>
>>53222245
>implying buttrock is not the greatest musical achievement of the last 4 decades.
>>
File: no thanks.jpg (54KB, 900x550px) Image search: [Google]
no thanks.jpg
54KB, 900x550px
>be me
>19 decent looking French-Canadian guy
>at some dumb college party because my friends convinced me to go with the promise of meeting hot chicks
>"yeah ok"
>anyway I'm chilling in the corner drinking Dr. Pepper and watching everyone dance
>I look like a total fucking loser and loner
>then this 9/10 total qt comes up and asks me why I'm alone
>I tell her I was dragged here by my friends and I'm not really the super sociable type
>she says she isn't either and she sits next to me
>oh shit
>we talk for a long time, me being awkward but not too autistic and spaghetti-dropping
>we get along great, have many of the same interests, she's into music too
>ask her what bands she likes
>"oh anon, my favorite band right now is probably Blur or Weezer!"
>Blur
>fucking BLUR
>try to ignore that fact. she likes Weezer, maybe she likes Blue or Pinkerton, two great records
>"w-what's your favorite Weezer album?"
>she says it's The Red Album
>mfw
She gave me her number afterwards but I never replied or texted her back. That was like two years ago, I'm sure she's forgotten all bout me at this point.
>>
>>53223001
fuck lol
>>
File: 1381724140244.jpg (27KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1381724140244.jpg
27KB, 300x225px
>>53223001
>french-canadian
>decent looking
>>
>>53223001
all that happens when someone i know says "I like Weezer" or Radiohead or really any band that /mu/ likes that has a nice amount of popularity, i normally just tell them the album i like from that band and try to find a similarity.
>>
>>53221737
that meme usually says "you dense motherfucker"

where did the I, A, and P come from
>>
>>53223165
somewhere else, i guess
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.