[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - music production

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13

File: fam.gif (27KB, 823x651px) Image search: [Google]
fam.gif
27KB, 823x651px
>fam edition
Post the tracks you're working on fam, discuss general music production fam.
What's that sound fam?

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki
>>
Anyone excited by any particular NAMM announcements so far?
>>
Haven't been working on anything recently because my computer is running at over 90% CPU and dies when I use any CPU intensive program (DAWs especially)
Anyone have an idea why? I just ran two scans for viruses and nothing came up
>>
>>53061211
That Clarett 4Pre got me rock hard, If only I had 700 monies.
>>
the midi guitar puts a different feel but im not sure if everything fits or grooves.
what do you guys think? piano sounds off to me too. would anyone want to listen to it or buy something like this? or is it faggy?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YGJttsJZFI
>>
>>53061449

what are your specs? Maybe it's heating up a little and you need to clean up the fans and such.

Also try to commit to audio to get rid of excessive automation going on at once
>>
>>53061449
maybe your processor is weak and old or you have little, old ram.
>>
>>53061449
Sounds like lack of RAM.

Make sure not to have loads of tabs open in your browser when you're using intensive applications.
>>
File: specs.png (9KB, 520x143px) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
9KB, 520x143px
>>53061515
Small case and I need to install another fan or two
It's been fine up to this week though
>>
>>53061568
Hmmm, you shouldn't have a problem.

Something is eating up your resources.
>>
>>53061558
Not RAM, I've been checking the performance in Task Manager and the CPU is out of control
>>
>tfw haven't worked on any of my bleeps for like a week because can't get enough of this piano book I'm reading and learning to play piano feels like its all I ever wanted to do
a- at least I'm learning an instrument, right? im sure knowledge of piano playing and how to read music will come in handy for when I get muh launchkey midi controller.

still as a beginner I feel like I should be producing more so I could get good at it faster.
>>
>>53061701
What you learn from playing piano will be just as useful to you as learning production techniques fam.

My advice is to ride the wave of inspiration when you're enjoying something. It's much easier to learn and improve when you're properly having fun and it doesn't feel like work.
>>
>>53061568

yeah your specs are a lot better than mine and it only starts to skip on me using ableton if I have like 10 automation lanes going at once with many different plugins and such.

I would try on safe mode too, just to check if it's really your DAW and not something else.

But mainly I think you should clean up the dust inside the case. My CPU used to go crazy at one point even with just a youtube video playing, and it turns out it was clogged fans
>>
>>53061211
Arturias Audiofuse was just what I was expecting to see this year
>>
>find series of notes that sound cool on my keyboard
>play it into the DAW
>sounds cool let's quantize a bit
>accidentally quantize by a lot
>end up with something ten times more badass
>change the instrument to a drum rack just for shits
>bitchin ass drum track I can build on
damn like 80% of my tracks are accidental
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20KB, 493x402px
>>53061558
>>53061580
Like of FAM more like it
>>
>>53061942
>lack of
dam sun u fuked up
>>
>>53061942
>>53061975

;)))))))))))))
>>
File: gettysburg8.jpg (62KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
gettysburg8.jpg
62KB, 400x462px
>>53061975
sorry, i'm tired anon. i'm so very tired.
>>
What's your favorite audio effect to play with

I like delay
>>
>>53062058
I like collecting and making impulse response measurements and HRTFs so I can do binaural room modelling.
>>
Anyone have experience with ath-m50x headphones? I want something good enough to master shit on and need to cop good headphones in general. They seem nice for the price

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/99aff89488ddd6b1/
>>
>>53062205
You can't really master in headphones. You won't get a proper idea of the bass until hearing it over suitable speakers.
>>
>be 16
>be a lot in to heavy electronic music
>download fl studio
>have a good ear for music
>be me, now
>18 yo

I'm really perfectionist, and i care a lot about the details, i always used to get frustrated for not beign able to write good tracks because i always get stuck in stupid shit, anyways i still do.
So i'm also a big fan of textures and the feeling diferent sounds communicate

Anyways, so I made this tune today and i feel very proud of it, it's no for everyone thought, i dont expect you all to like this kind of music (Dubstep, riddim, swamp, etc)

>https://soundcloud.com/notmuchtothink/422sap_finalcut

I'd really appreaciate if anyone who knows more about the technical aspects of production and mixing gave me some feedback on that track!
>>
>>53062205
I have those, I love them, they're great. Not for mastering thought, for that you would need a good pair of monitors, but you can get there anyways with them if you know your shit.
>>
the midi guitar puts a different feel but im not
sup guys.
sure if everything fits or grooves.
what do you guys think? piano sounds off to me too. would anyone want to listen to it or buy something like this? or is it faggy?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YGJttsJZFI
>>
>>53062231
kinda bland and tinky sounding. needs some chords or a structure that sounds big.
>>
>>53061211
I just impulse bought the po-12 and po-16 and I can't wait to get them.
>>
>>53062335
Yeah, i figured i would get that, but i liked the idea of a minimalistic approach to it, like if it were music that you made with the sound of the speaker cable when its not putted properly and it makes a bassline, i dont know if i can make myself clear about this or perhaps is my english that is limitating my speech

what i'm trying to say i guess is that a like that techy groove it has, and i like when things sound big and be simple at the same time
>>
File: athingor2aboutheadcans.jpg (106KB, 784x521px) Image search: [Google]
athingor2aboutheadcans.jpg
106KB, 784x521px
>>53062223
also the lack of crosstalk and acoustic reinforcement totally fuckin' ruins the sense of mid vs side balance. you can always tell when someone mixed in headphones, not because it's a bad mix necessariy, but because the stereo image ends-up sounding like pic related
>>
>>53062231

that's not a work in progress so you're not gonna get feedback on it. Specially since you're basically asking for people to rate it and not being at all specific as to what you would like to get feedback on. Not being a dick it's just that the purpose of the thread is to give advice on a song you're making if you start second guessing yourself or something, or if you really think you could benefit from it. If you're done with it and are already proud of it enough that you make it public then just get your feedback from other producers on souncloud
>>
>>53062425
psytrance anon here, replying to your post in the old thread

i added a different drum pattern for the second part, so i might have changed the snares a little bit in the mixing process
good thing that you point it out, because this is the stuff i am always super concerned about
once i have the break done i will try my best to master the track, although i only barely know how to do that
my problem is that i dont have good speakers for the mastering, i produce with nothing but 100$ headphones
i recently met a guy who can introduce me to someone who has a studio in my city, so once i am done with this track i will try to get in that studio with 3 more tracks and try to master them all
>>
>>53062425
it's not necesarily finished (i know it says so but it just lokked cool to have it say finalcut) even so, i'm working on it right now. and about the feedback, i'm really amateur when it comes to mixing and mastering and my equipment too, so i was expecting someone who has more experience on this kind of things could check the track i made and give me some recommendations abuot how it sounds, how it should sound, or what it is to improve and how, sorry if i looked like i was spamming or something like that
>>
>>53062530
hey can you help me with one thing?
I can hear this effect in a lot of psytrance music, or even in afx's music. like when the pitch is going into many directions one after another. you used it in your track posted in the previous thread.
>>
>>53062634
sure thing
can you try to describe it a bit more detailed or give me an example? i have a few things in my mind but i'm not exactly sure what you mean
>>
>>53061211
Arturia Beatstep Pro
Korg SQ-1
Prophet-6
>>
>>53061211
i'm most excited for the launchpad pro so far because it's the only thing i could conceivably buy
>>
I'm hoping the price of the MS20 module has been mis-reported. Would be crazy if it costs double an MS20 mini.
>>
>>53062767
I find it hard to describe but I'm talking about the way you can hear the synth "talking".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6x2vTKeU2s
starting around 25:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOkx4JbW9k
or here around 36:27
>>
>psytrance anon is back
this makes me happy

also OP where's my funney recap
>>
>>53062106
are you the same room modeling anon from before? bro I sent you an email with measurements of the room n shit.
>>
>>53062995
cheers

>>53062958
alright, i think i know what you mean, i still might be wrong though - it's hard to describe trance-y sounds
try this video tutorial, it's not the best because you can barely see what the guy is doing, but the sound is awesome
i watched tons of these videos when i got started with sylenth

start around 5:35
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k93V6XBulss&index=2&list=WL
>>
>>53062205
get MDRV6s instead. most neutral frequency response you'll find in the price range.
>>
File: bush 12pk cans.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
bush 12pk cans.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
>>53063071
yeah that's me. i saw the email, but i've been working like 16hr days so I'm a little busched.

I'll get to ya I'll get to ya
>>
>>53062302
use clyp.it my friend. its just like vocaroo but 10x better and doesn't lose any quality.
>>
>>53062554

It does look like you were advertising. That's one of the reasons SC link are "not allowed". (Also because if you use clyp.it instead you can upload a bunch of clips of different parts without messing with your soundcloud, and it stays anonymous so you make sure nothing else is distracting from the actual music. It really is better for this purpose)

>>53062530

actually I meant the main snare/clap from the first part. I sounds like something that would happen to me when I've been mixing for a while and start to lose focus, so maybe a snare that sounded kinda right the first time around ends up getting all my attention and I start second guessing its place in the mix making me think it should be louder.

Again that's what "I" would do. If you listen again to the mix tomorrow with fresh ears and everything sounds in place then it's probably in place
>>
>>53063088
Dude, seriously, '145 g# preview' song of the year all years.
Do you plan to make an album or just a standalone song?
>>
File: 1421656137129.jpg (27KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
1421656137129.jpg
27KB, 402x402px
>tfw have a decent singing voice but can't create melodies to correspond to my songs

what do, fam
>>
>>53063128
>"not allowed"
it's not in the op anymore, you're not quoting anything
>>
>>53063166
write a trumpet lead in your vocal range and then smash your lyrics in there
>>
>>53063128
yo tripfaggot, just ignore the posts you don't like
let's not ruin this thread too
>>
>>53063197
it's funny because i'm the guy who "ruined" yesterday's thread and i was already tempted to start in on this thread.

careful now soundcloud gestapo!
>>
>>53063223
simply eric
>>
>>53063223
You should consider hanging out somewhere else.
>>
>>53063239
>pretending you dont want this
why else would you start defensively memeing at me within seconds?
>>
>>53063178

I used quotes because it's not like you'll get banned for posting soundcloud or something. My point still stands doesn't it?
>>
>>53063260
but you'll never know where i am if you don't respond to my posts with whining
>>
>>53063273
It appears that you're the only one whining here. I just suggested that you hang out somewhere else, because you obviously have a martyr complex, and you don't like anybody here.
>>
>>53063320
>>53063273
>>53063261
>>53063260
>>53063239
>>53063223
stop
>>
>>53063320
ok lol, we'll pretend that i'm upset right now instead of the rest of you

whose blown up today off all those /prod/ soundcloud hits? i mean, we are making legends here
>>
File: 85.jpg (425KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
85.jpg
425KB, 800x600px
>>53063365
>tfw only 15 people have basked in my binaural rainstorm recording but not aloud to share
I won't be posting in SC threads either. Soundcloud threads are like the city bus of /mu/. Yuck!
>>
>>53063137
thanks dude
it's going to be an EP with 3 songs

>>53063128
exactly, you couldnt be more right
i'm working on this song for about a month now, and i sometimes lose focus
>>
>>53063166
Maybe writing words first would help you?

Write some lyrics and then you'll have some sort of rhythmic foundation for your vocal melodies.
>>
>>53063197

I'm trying to give constructive replies as to why they shouldn't do it, that's all. If you just say "not a soundcloud thread" that usually gets them all worked up. I shouldn't have to repeat it though so don't worry
>>
Could someone give me some help on producing house? Notably the kind people are calling "deep house" these days and some garage too.

At first it seems like a simple genre to make, but it really isn't. I'm mostly having creative issues and all my work sounds too empty and lacking energy. There's also something about the drums/percussion. I'm using swing in my DAW and 909 samples, but my drums are still seriously lacking that old school sound and overall just sound empty too.

And acapellas are another annoying thing. I don't need full songs worth of vocals, but I'm having trouble finding something good to loop or use phrases from. I don't want to make a bootleg, just use phrases or something and maybe shift it up or down, but I can't find anything decent. Vocal sample packs off Loopmasters or other shitty sites are cheesy and bad too and ruin the authenticity.

Here are some examples of what I'd like to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDYdWcJRl54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIsqRPnjzU0

Thanks lads
>>
>>53063581
Don't invest your time in a passing fad.

Develop your own sound rather than bandwagon jumping.
>>
>>53063617
Yeah like when Bob Dylan plugged-in. What a horribly trendy misstep.
>>
holy shit that prophet 6
>>
>>53063272
>>53063539
people do upload wips to soundcloud though (case in point, the guy in this thread who did just that)
tons of people who are starting out will upload stuff that's more or less "finished" to them but could obviously be improved upon by somebody more knowledgeable.
it's a bit of a stretch to say that someone is advertising just because they're linking to a personal account (people in the last thread tried to say this was the ONLY reason to link sc/bc/youtube).
>>
File: deep.jpg (57KB, 599x587px) Image search: [Google]
deep.jpg
57KB, 599x587px
>>53063639
What an odd comparison. Are you Bob Dylan?
>>
File: geeps.png (10KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10KB, 261x195px
>>53063682
yes
>>
>>53063676
not him, but we're mainly trying to keep people from posting their soundclouds blatantly so that we can remain pure. There's nothing wrong with "hey, I like this, what's your soundcloud" but again, if one person starts doing it and it's okay, then another person will start to do it, and then a new person will come in and see that this is a glorified soundcloud thread. We're trying to avoid that by keeping most everyone anonymous when they post music. I mean, it doesn't take more than like 2 minutes to upload your wip that you put on soundcloud to clyp.it.

just roll with it, we're doing fine so far.
>>
>>53063617
Don't say that man, I've been struggling for a long time to find something I like enough to stick to and I ended up doing nothing for months because I'm still new to this and realised I put too much thought into what my own sound should be.

This is something I'm very interested in making and is a good starting point for me. In the longer run my intention is to develop my own style.

Plus, house music has never been a fad for me, it just became mainstream and changed a little, but I've been listening to it for years.
>>
>>53063488

well that's a really long time to be working on a song and it's easy to forget about the whole picture and to get lost in the details. I myself can't wait until I get fast enough with the technical aspects so I can avoid having to work on stuff for too long
>>
>>53063668
>and it sounds like a rev 2
>>
>>53063774
i'm really good with the technical parts, i'm missing inpiration for melodies most of the time
so when i dont have anything new in a session i just try to improve the mix for a few days
>>
>>53063860
>>
what should I know about this WIP before I resume working on it?

https://clyp.it/5lq0ieki
>>
>>53064072
actually, fix't
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.