[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

music literature? looking for some good books on music (nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: dbyrne.png (5KB, 198x255px) Image search: [Google]
dbyrne.png
5KB, 198x255px
music literature? looking for some good books on music (nothing that focuses heavily on pre-20th century music though). links between genres and such, general history of genres, etc.

i want to be able to discuss music and have a decent foundation for what i'm talking about. i know i can find stuff on the internet, but it tends to be overwhelming and distracting (like wikipedia, try to get through a page without clicking a link to another)

books pls, thanks in advance
>>
Oliver Sacks - Musicophilia
>>
ty kind trip>>53049583
>>
>>53049568
>have a decent foundation for what I'm talking about
>nothing that focuses heavily on pre-20th century music

you're off to a bad start m8
>>
>>53049699
the reason i put that in there is because i've taken 2 music history course, both of which covered from classical to romantic to baroque music. shit's boring anyways.
>>
>>53049568
That book is dry as fuck
>>
>>53049636
> referring to Just Another pleb as a trip, not one of the best trips
>>
>>53049750
Why would you want to be knowledgeable of something you don't find interesting? If you found baroque music and the like to be boring you probably should use your time elsewhere.

Not even a classicfag, but you won't be knowledgeable in genres and music if you only are interested in the past 100 years.
>>
File: rip_it_up_and_start_again_1_450.jpg (75KB, 450x686px) Image search: [Google]
rip_it_up_and_start_again_1_450.jpg
75KB, 450x686px
>>
>>53050044
He just answered.
Fucking obnoxious.
>>
>>53050104
All he said was it's boring. I'm asking why he would pursue something he finds boring.
>>
i'm reading this it's pretty good. it starts with classical but there's some pretty cool jazz stuff later on
>>
>>53050058
Energy Flash is also an excellent choice if you wish to learn more about eletronic music (more rave-oriented tho).
>>
>>53050219
Probably because he didn't think he'd find it boring when he signed up for the courses.
>>
File: 1411236981644.jpg (54KB, 439x446px) Image search: [Google]
1411236981644.jpg
54KB, 439x446px
>>53050340
Reading comprehension.
>>
from the velvets to the Voidoids is excellent if you like proto punk and the cbgb scene
>>
>>53050219
Finding some part of something boring doesn't mean you find the whole thing boring.
>>
>>53050719
Finding 99% of something boring probably means you aren't really interested in it.
>>
>>53050855
Nice statistics.
They would probably mean something if you didn't pull them out of your ass.
>>
>>53050855
all i mean is that i don't want to read exclusively about classical music for example. i understand the significant links between all music, with links spanning thousands of years. i understand that. i'm okay with that.

all i meant was i am interested in music of the last 100 years mainly. was i really not that clear?
>>
anyone have some music books to share?
>>
>>53051099
>we know music was performed AT LEAST in 4000 BC
>there are only 115 years post 19th century
Sorry. 98.1% of music history, my bad.

>>53051247
Wasn't really arguing with you m8, people on this board just seem to think they are so knowledgeable of music without actually learning anything even before mid 20th century.

Read up on Steve Reich and his influences. He might be only known for one piece on here but minimalism is really interesting. You would be surprised at all the little influences people have on music, from even the smallest obscure source, not that he was either of those things.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.