[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This board will be flooded with Miles, Coltrane, the list could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 51wZy6PZufL._SY300_.jpg (18KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
51wZy6PZufL._SY300_.jpg
18KB, 299x300px
This board will be flooded with Miles, Coltrane, the list could go on -tier jazz enthusiasts in the wake of Whiplash, mark my words
>>
>flooded
bruh i heard that movie was laughable this will never happen i assure you
>>
>>53041682

Objection, i was a pleb knowing only davis and coltrane before whiplash
>>
File: 0311aa129b5f732995412d0418653[1].jpg (782KB, 2278x2256px) Image search: [Google]
0311aa129b5f732995412d0418653[1].jpg
782KB, 2278x2256px
Davis or Coltrane? So tricky
I got into Coltrane first though
>>
I'm just happy people will start listening to more jazz. There's nothing wrong with miles or trane either
>>
>>53041728
definitely Coltrane. mad respect for the Davizoid tho
>>
>>53041702
the movie was great
>>
>>53041682
btw this record is srsly among the GOAT of their live performances
>>
>>53041728
in a silent way is the best way
>>
>>53041773
i heard it was quote "unrealistic, misses the point, laughable etc", is any of this true?
>>
>>53041792
until you Ascend that is
>>
>>53041798
It's got 8.7 imdb and 95% rotten tomatoes, not that means anything
>>
>>53041816
what should I ascend to?
>>
In Slate, Forrest Wickman accused the film of distorting and misinterpreting the anecdote about Charlie Parker that both Neiman and Fletcher retell and frequently allude to, in order to fit the film's themes. Both state that drummer Jo Jones threw a cymbal at the teenage Parker's head as punishment for Parker's supposedly losing the beat of the composition they were performing in Count Basie's band during a 1930s performance. "Jones," Wickman wrote, "didn't throw the cymbal at Parker's head. He threw it at the floor around his feet, 'gonging' him off. In other words, it was not an episode of physical abuse." And Jones was not reacting as much to Parker's losing the beat as he was to Parker's failure to change key with the rest of the band.[24]

The incident, both characters recall, inspired Parker to practice obsessively, as Neiman does, in the hope of realizing his potential. "But this version of the tale doesn't reflect where genius really comes from," Wickman writes. "A mounting body of evidence shows that no amount of practice, whether 10,000 hours or 20,000 hours, guarantees true genius." Whiplash, he says, does viewers a disservice by promoting the belief that practice makes perfect.[24]

In writing for The New Yorker, film critic Richard Brody argued that "Whiplash honors neither Jazz nor cinema".

>Should I still go see it?
>>
>>53041682
I don't feel like that's a bad thing. It's better than the usual crop of fucking Peter Brotzmann+John Zorn4life faggots.
At least the people who are listening to Coltrane and Davis are doing it because they enjoy it. Even if they needed a push in that direction. Plus, it's easier to rec them other jazz artists because they're not doing it to look cool.
>>
>>53041682
I wish Duke Ellington was part of their team.
>>
>>53041824
inner oneness
>>
>>53041853
bruh, John Zorn FOR life dho yawmean?
>>
>>53041847
Artistic licence. Anyone who has qualms about them distorting the anecdote a little bit for the sake of it fitting a bit better with the narrative is a pedantic faggot who ought to be watching documentaries if their gonna be annoyed by historic or scientific inaccuracies. Especially if they're that small.
Also, the best jazz musicians spent ridiculous amounts of time practicing. Parker included. Granted there does need to be a bit of natural talent and inspiration, ultimately if Parker wasn't spedning most of his day practicing he wouldn't have been able to play so well. Jazz isn't the kind of music where you can get away with just being creative. If you're gonna sound any good you need technical skill and theory behind you.
>>
>>53041869
Rockists get scared when they have to look at which comp they should get. They need it to be neatly packaged in an album.
>>
>>53041682
What is this Whiplash movie about?
I don't really watch movies or tv series.
>>
>>53041824
Not that guy but:
Sketches of Spain, Miles from India, Live/evil, Pangaea, on the corner, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer and Birth of the cool are all in the territory of if not better than In a Silent Way.
>>
Black Saint > Kind of Blue > A Love Supreme
>>
>>53043276
Black Saint > A Love Supreme > Kind of Blue

however, my favourite Miles is Get Up With It and it's better than A Love Supreme and almost on the level of Black Saint
>>
>>53042046
I haven't heard all of these but Sketches of Spain and On the Corner don't even approach In a Silent Way

Sorcerer comes pretty close though
>>
>>53041742
This.
Underrated post
>>
>>53042046
>Miles from India
Confirmed jester.

The only album on that list better than In a Silent Way is Live/Evil.
>>
Who composed your favorite version of Honeysuckle Rose, /mu/?

Mine is Benny Carter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgatnU6AakM
>>
tfw whenever i listen to jazz i always feel like i'm not high enough
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.