[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /mu/ What keeps you motivated and how do you maintain a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 13

Hello /mu/
What keeps you motivated and how do you maintain a productive lifestyle?

Did anyone of you overcome depression?

Im currently struggling to get out of bed every morning and suffer from a bunch of psychological problems.
You could say im on the verge of being a functional human being.

To accompany this thread i thought you could post music which helps with this kind of stuff. Or generally anything you recently found out about and got into.

Pic related, its something i thought to be pretty obnoxious at first. Meanwhile this thing means something to me. Havent gotten around to listen to other Brand New Albums.
>>
Something i really got into the past few weeks is emo as a genre and post rock.
Im currently listening to Spiderland and im really digging it.
GYBE also really got me
Recs are welcome and i hope to hear from someone
>>
File: Filosofem.jpg (117KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Filosofem.jpg
117KB, 350x350px
I've struggled with depression. A few months ago I stopped going to my therapist, quit taking those shitty SSRIs, and started exercising and eating healthy. The most important thing is controlling your thoughts. Indulging in your own self pity and sadness will only make it worse. You have to force yourself to change you views, to get out and do things, even though you don't want to.

I've found Burzum pretty inspirational in regards to getting my shit together.
>>
>>52777660
Exercising is something i actually want to do but cant get around to. I probably should start with going climbing regularly again.

Ive never listened to Burzum, i only know about them because of Varg. I guess i should finally listen to them.
>>
>>52777709
Exercising is the most important thing you do for depression. Any doctor worth your time will tell you to start exercising.

Trust me, go for a 30 minute jog when you are feeling shit and eat a good, healthy well cooked meal and you will feel amazing. Trust me, I know when you feel depressed its really hard to get the willpower up to go for a run or workout, but you will pretty much always feel a lot better afterwards.
>>
>>52777605
I quit having depression when i realized that
I have access to a clean house
running water and power
laptop and highspeed internet>>52777660
this is spot on

Realize that this is just a side effect of being human. be self-aware at times you will get sad,angry,happy
for me personally music was a great starting point but I think watching movies is a better way to get out of depression.

this too shall pass friend :) good luck grow stronger much love
>>
File: Nujabes.jpg (253KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Nujabes.jpg
253KB, 1920x1440px
>>52777798
Thanks for that, i will definitely put this on top of my priority list.
Could you recommend some more music you personally can connect to? You seem cool and i always love to get recs.
>>
>What keeps you motivated and how do you maintain a productive lifestyle?
trying to do things that i feel i like doing instead of things that i feel i have to do, to avoid routine and judging myself by other peoples standards.
also, my friends, family and lots of weed.
>>
File: Like Clockwork 2.jpg (188KB, 2845x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Like Clockwork 2.jpg
188KB, 2845x1600px
>>52777833
Thats something i think about sometimes as well.
I guess you are right i should remind me of this more often.

Movies have also done the job for me in the past.
Something a watched a few months back was A Place Beyond The Pines. Somehow it really moved something. I felt very energized after watching it.
>>
File: Hospice.gif (37KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hospice.gif
37KB, 1920x1080px
>>52777911
Good god how much i would love to smoke weed again and be able to enjoy it.
The last time i smoked was roughly two years ago.
Now i feel like i want to try it again under the personal restriction to only smoke when im with a friend and i already feel good. Otherwise i think it would take over again.

The thing with doing what i want to do is that i dont find the balance to still do what im supposed to do.
>>
>>52777967
do you consider the things you are supposed to do as something necessary and important yourself or rather as a "chore".
>>
File: Operation Doomsday 1.jpg (256KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Operation Doomsday 1.jpg
256KB, 1920x1200px
How do i find the motivation to do the things i have to do again?
Is it really just staying focused and forcing yourself to?
>>
>>52777967
what are you supposed to do?
>>
>>52778063
I guees i see it as chore that is important but the importance isnt big enough in my eyes to actually do something about it.
Its kinda tough to answer to be honest.
I would say that i lack the self control which is needed
>>
>>52778111
Since i never really had to study in high school to get above average grades im now struggling with college.
So first of all we have that. Then im looking for a flat near the city center.
And in general getting my shit together like getting out of bed everyday and personal hygiene, not that im a filthy fuck, but i could definitely do more for myself.
>>
>>52777967
>Now i feel like i want to try it again under the personal restriction to only smoke when im with a friend and i already feel good. Otherwise i think it would take over again.
i always feel really lucky to have never really gotten much of the "anxious alone high" one of the thing that may contribute to this is that i kinda prefer to be alone to begin with.
>>
File: Gorillaz 2.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gorillaz 2.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>52778259
I like both, being alone and being with close friends.
But when i smoked alone my thoughts got crazy. I mean i dont even need weed for them to get out of hand so thats that.
I think with enough positive influence and the right person beside me i could enjoy it again. Also having someone there keeps me grounded and connected with reality in general.
>>
>>52778102
sometimes yeah, but generally i think that the less stress i have and the more i feel that i like the way i spend most of my time the more easy it becomes to do things i would otherwise not find particularly desirable and still enjoy myself.
>>52778173
young people often worry too much about self-control if you ask me. you need some time to figure out what actually is important to you in so many different areas of life, struggle with setting out your own priorities as opposed to those of your educators. and don't let those fuckers stress you out. you know what you are doing and even if you are not "managing" everything perfect you are doing fine enough for a young adult and you will probably get your shit together in your way soon enough.

i think something that also really helps me personally is travelling, getting away from my everyday surroundings even just for a few days, clear my head out and find a fresh view.
>>
File: Madvillainy.jpg (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Madvillainy.jpg
163KB, 1920x1080px
>>52778443
Thanks for the input, i appreciate it.
Thats to all of the people that responded.
I will try to let those thoughts into my life and i hope i will continue working on myself.
>>
also this
>>
>>52777648
give sunbather a shot maybe?
>>
>>52777605
>Havent gotten around to listen to other Brand New Albums
Don't bother, Devil and God is all you need. The others are bretty bad in comparison
>>
>>52779187
Deja Entendu is worth a shot, at least a few songs
>>
File: cover.jpg (153KB, 507x514px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
153KB, 507x514px
Best album that conveyed the social anxiety I used to feel on the regular. Maybe it'll help OP.
>>
just get up and do shit

regulate ur life
>>
File: Sunbather.png (130KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sunbather.png
130KB, 1920x1200px
>>52779171
I did, even before listening to GYBE i think.
Sunbather opened me up to harsher vocals again.
Overall i loved it, even though i didnt listen to metal for a long time.
>>
File: Unknown Pleasures.png (384KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown Pleasures.png
384KB, 1680x1050px
>>52779187
While i dont want to ruin the experience of The Devil and God, i still am interested what else they made. I mean i have had their discography on my harddrive for more than a year and havent listened to their other works.
>>52779207
I guess i will start with this.

>>52779220
I just saw the album cover quite often on here otherwise i have no clue what this is. But i love listening to music where i have no idea whats gonna hit me. Thank you man.
>>
>>52777648
reccing gybe's f# a# infinity if you haven't listened to it. its spinetinglingly bonechillingly good.
>>
>>52777648
Check out Mi Media Naranja by Labradford
>>
>>52779207
I personally love all 4 Brand New albums, but what the fuck do I know fellow Anon :)
>>
>>52777605
Wrote about my major depressive disorder in the "Musical Feels" and "Albums that helped you with anxiety and depression." threads. If you got anything serious like I do, I recommend getting it checked ASAP. I don't think I would be posting on /mu/ if I wasn't heavily medicated.
>>
>>52777660
I tried to stop taking zoloft last week, figured I had my shit together enough. Regular exercise, generally productive, good friends. Three days after getting off the SSRIs I was almost suicidal, I forgot how fucking bad it can get.

I agree with everything in your post, and antidepressants are certainly overprescribed, but i think it's different for everyone man.
>>
>>52777709
That guy's so right wrt food and exercise, it's a lot of effort at first to control your diet/exercise/decent sleep pattern, but as soon as you start everything gets a bit easier.

I used to rely on depressive music, but I'm not sure it helped. I like all Brand New's music, chronological order is a good way to track their progression, they really did grow up with each album. Daisy is my favourite. Complete curveball to other rec's but How To Dress Well's newest album What Is This Heart? is pretty dense on white-boy emotionality. It's pretty optimistic, hope it helps :)
>>
>>52777605
Brand New discog is all really good, but pretty varied in content

YFW is easily the worst, also easily the most upbeat and fun. The most angsty BN album, full of songs about girls, BN before they came to fruition. Still good for a pop-punk album, worth a listen

DE is the second best BN album, if DaG is you as a young adult, DE is you as a 16 year old. Feelings are based on depression and loneliness and anxiety rather than death and regret. Definitely worth a listen or a few in order to get into.

Daisy is the first regression in the catalogue, back to angst with more screams and anger

the catalogue is pretty much a journey from childish angst to depression to insanity
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.