[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bleep/ production

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

so pic related happens on pretty much all my tracks (the volume bars go into the red), and I can only make it get out of the red zone if I turn the volume insanely low on the bass track. By that time, the bass is way too quiet. How can I make the bass loud enough without blowing out the speakers? I should note that I always EQ the lower freqs to very high on the bass, so that might be part of the problem.
>>
can i see the frequency analyzer of the bass track? Maybe you can eq out some frequencies of the bass so they don't peak out.
>>
>>52742950
thanks for the help. this is pretty much it. I think part of it could be that I have the lower freqs way too high, but it always sounds much better that way
>>
>>52743051
if it helps, here's the compressor I'm using too. Again, all the bass tracks (bass drums included) on al my songs are blown out and have audio into the red. The red bars don't seem to correlate to the actual volume of the song. I want to have loud bass without it blowing out the speakers. Thanks to anyone who wants to help.
>>
shameless self-bump. will repay whoever helps in dank memes.
>>
its because you're using RMS mode on the compressor instead of peak probably

you could also lower the master gain on the EQ a bit
>>
also increase the release time on the compressor
>>
>>52742885
its prob not as quiet as you think, bass can be very quiet and still be felt/heard on most cars/headphones/speakers, also compress bass even before "muh dynamics loudness wars" fags tell you not to. itll smooth it out
>>
>>52742885
> I should note that I always EQ the lower freqs to very high on the bass

thats now really how you should be using an EQ generally speaking.

its better to use it to remove or lower the volume of frequencies you dont want (in this case the high frequencies) and then increasing the volume and/or compressing it if you want to.
>>
>>52743184
>>52743051
General tips unrelated to your clipping problem:

-be more judicious and concise with your EQing. Don't just raise up all the lows haphazardly.
- Bass instruments usually benefit from higher ratios (4-5:1) and slower attack/release.

About your clipping, I would assume if you open up the virtual instrument that there will be some sort of gain or output control that you can turn down.
>>
>>52743759
ya i wouldnt really increase anything below 160hz too much.
>>
>>52743759
Subtractive EQ is important, but boosting frequencies is also appropriate in a lot of cases. I wouldn't choose just one or the other.
>>
>>52743814
i agree. i boost frequencies using an EQ all the time.

i just find that its a good mixing habit to try to keep things at a low gain. using subtractive EQ helps.
>>
thanks for all the help guys. So general consensus is I should lower the EQ on the bass freqs and instead use it to cut out the higher freqs? and also raise the compressor ratio?
>>
File: natural calming pet food.jpg (38KB, 500x494px) Image search: [Google]
natural calming pet food.jpg
38KB, 500x494px
Thanks a ton! I changed the compressor to peak instead of RMA and toned down the EQ, now it sounds great in my shitty speakers (as well as my good headphones). as promised, here are some dank memes as your reward.
>>
File: cat pimpin ain't easy.gif (482KB, 202x200px) Image search: [Google]
cat pimpin ain't easy.gif
482KB, 202x200px
>>52744498
>>
File: Kangaroo-Drops-Ball.gif (948KB, 370x208px) Image search: [Google]
Kangaroo-Drops-Ball.gif
948KB, 370x208px
>>52744793
>>
>>52744498
Always remember you can tweak the EQ of the output to your own tastes, but the raw audio should be made so that it's comfy in any system at all flats.
>>
>>52745246
so is it a problem if the levels go into red? because that happens way too often, and if I lower it to the point where it's in the green or yelow, the track is too quiet. This happens mostly with vocla and bass tracks.
>>
>>52745417
Taper it down a bit before you export the track, and if your results aren't bassy enough, tweak your EQ in foobar, WMP, etc. Most end users have their own preference for the levels they want out of something, and if you're hitting the red in production, someone will end up blowing a sub when they play your track.
>>
>>52745560
huh. so why does it hit the red when it seems like it's quieter than the rest of the tracks? Especially for vocals, if I make it so it doesn't hit red, the track is way too quiet. It seems there is no correlation between the colored bars and the actual volume. If everything sounds fine, will it really be an issue after it's exported? Is there a way to get the same volume of the track without the red bar \/too much gain? Thanks for the help.
>>
>>52745699
Just turn the volumes down to where they should be, which is not in the red and then turn up your monitoring level.

That's it.
>>
>>52745761
Yup, beat me to it.
>>
>>52745699
read up on gain staging and how digital audio works

watch some videos on mixing down etc
>>
>>52745699
take a screenshot of your mixer in logic
>>
>>52745761
but if I turn it down to where it should be (not in the red), then it's too quiet upon export. How do I turn up my monitoring level on Logic?
>>52745775
I'll definitely do that; turns out I know way less about this than I thought.
>>
>>52745822
there's a ton of tracks right now since I haven't cleaned it up but here's a few screens
>>
>>52745961
>>
>>52745961
>>52745977
Noticing most of your tracks are center panned which means they'll be overlapping a lot which will result in a shitty mixdown
>>
>>52746113
This.

Spread them shits for a fuller feel
>>
>>52746143
Here's an example of why center isn't always best. The artist may not be /mu/ tier, but the production is what I'm showing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VUrskFjfhc
>>
>>52746113
>>52746143
so what you're saying is, I should make, say, the chimes track only come out of the left side, then alternate it to the right and shit? What exactly is the problem with having everything in the middle? I thought doing L/R shit was only for special occurrences and kinda gimmicky
>>
>>52746289
I wouldn't say full left, necessarily, but work your dial in ~15 degree angles,and duplicate and mirror if you want. I dunno if you have a surround system in your living room or at your battle station, but go out to the car and you have a rudimentary one at least. Balance and fade adjustments in a car are the same thing as those panning dials.

Here's another example that isn't so cut and dry like the other one. The vocals and some effects aren't fixed on the center and it allows for a more encompassing track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLdsB-3qAA4
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.