[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - music production

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

File: lunga forever.jpg (32KB, 419x401px) Image search: [Google]
lunga forever.jpg
32KB, 419x401px
>It's not auto-tune it's a vocoder mom edition
Post your bleeps, discuss others' bloops. Learn why your DAW of choice is shit and why you shouldn't trust the mailmen.

Stuff:
Sound Synthesis and Sampling (book):
http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html

Intro to Synthesys (video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/uFfrL0WN

NEW! wiki
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki
>>
>>52669349
Which edition did you buy?
>>
>>52672057
Are there any alternatives to asio4all that aren't shit? I hate how asio4all doesn't let me hear stuff from other applications.
>>
>>52672351
I bought the signature in 2010.

but you can go less if you want just audio work and no extra plugins.
>>
>>52673004
>asio4all
>shit

buy a soundcard
>>
>>52673146
>buy
why is buying something the solution to all my problems, im too poor for that
>>
>>52673167
write a better alternative for asio4all then
>>
Ugh my fukken pair of ribbon mics are about 68 hours away still. I'm going to die waiting /mew/. Goodbye you guise.
>>
feedback pls
https://clyp.it/nxelvay4
>>
>>52673505
I don't like what you did with the samples, gets too repetitive try some modulated filter or something to add variation. The sample is not particularly engaging either.
The rest of the song is kinda meh. Try again/10
>>
>>52673622
>https://clyp.it/nxelvay4
I liked it a lot. I think it needs a part where it keeps the fast pace but fills more of the frequency spectrum; like a part where it got bassy, cus right now it feels like it's building up and building up and it doesnt go anywhere. Great for a WiP, tho.
>>
>>52673772
was for >>52673505
duh
>>
Please tell me why Ableton is shit.
Please tell me why Reaper is shit.
>>
>>52674150
Ableton is, infact, the best DAW.

Reaper is shit because it literally has no virtual instruments or ways to make sound with just your pc and a midi controller, the way ableton does, which comes with a shitload of different tunable instruments and effects. Plus ableton has the fun and intuitive as hell clip view.
>>
>>52674589
cont.
what makes ableton shit is how fuckin' pricy it is. what makes Reaper based is its perfect, honest to goodness business model.
>>
>>52674589
well, reaper is for audio engineers who capture their sounds in rooms and through cables, outside the box. not for musicianproducers.
>>
>>52674809
is there a good DAW for 'musicianproducers' besides ableton? I really want to switch to something not-so-expensive.
>>
>>52673146
>buy a soundcard
which one?
>>
>>52674884
I'm a dedicated lover of Reason but that's expensive... Pro Tools is underrated but to get the good instruments you gotta pay up.

Have you looked into Logic a'tall?
>>
>>52673004

You need a dedicated soundcard
>>
>>52674884

>Logic
>Reason
>FL
>Cubase
>>
>>52672057
>you shouldn't trust the mailmen.

cause of that dudes broken tape recorder thing?
>>
File: teac-logo.png (16KB, 995x296px) Image search: [Google]
teac-logo.png
16KB, 995x296px
>>52674952
aw man, poor TEAC-Anon
>>
>>52672057
Hey what's everyone doing for your kicks?
Are you layering, sampling, or using a synth?
>>
>>52674952
Hey, it at least mostly works. Still pissed tho
>>
File: Final Cover.png (536KB, 506x506px) Image search: [Google]
Final Cover.png
536KB, 506x506px
what does /prod/ think of the hip hop project im working on with a couple friends? i know it's not technically bleeps. hopefully that isn't against the rules. we were going for a cross between the classic memphis rap sound and black metal:)
https://clyp.it/fg41wyim
>>
>>52675098
I layer like a mother fucker, sometimes I add a sinewave for the sub end.
>>
>>52675098

Sample kicks of ranging frequencies and layer to shit

x

Profit
>>
>>52675098
>what's everyone doing for your kicks
I like to push old ladies down stairs and tell kids there's no santa
>>
does anyone have a link to the download for this/a sample pack with this buildup noise in the beginning? I can't find it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vom--NyO5M
>>
please pointers on my new riff, anons.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0U4zWskbz4Y
>>
File: Symphony1.png (460KB, 1920x1036px) Image search: [Google]
Symphony1.png
460KB, 1920x1036px
updated pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/4TSdSwGb

What are you guys working on today?
I've been sketching out a symphony inspired by some epic landscapes near where I live
>>
Just got a 22VSL as upgrade to my shitty M-Track.

Did I dun goofed? I mean I doubt it coming from an M-Track but still, DOUBTS.
>>
>>52675297
not sure what's going on here
>>
>>52675304

what do you use for your Orchestra, Kontakt?
>>
>>52675139
Too tired to concentrate and make useful remarks.
Sounds interesting.
>>
>>52675098
I do something different for each track. sometimes record my own or cut them from field recordings, sometimes use stormdrum, sometimes layer some random samples from FL and use effects to make the unique...

>>52675139
all production projects are welcome.

ok beats, vocals suit the track I guess but I'm not really a fan of the rapper. actual rapping needs to come in earlier, the intro gets a bit repetitive.
>>
>>52675371
yeah its Kontakt 4, running East West and Cinebrass libraries (pastebin has some cracked version of them if you want to fool around)

sounds good enough that people pay for my work, doing short film soundtracks.
>>
Sometimes I make a nice beat or melody and then I can't finish the track or put a beat and a melody together. This happens to me a lot, and I've kept trying for a couple months now, but I'm getting fustrated. Does this happen to everyone or am I just retarded? I haven't finished any tracks in all this time.
>>
>>52675398
haha well thanks for checking it out anyways. get some sleep!
>>52675404
thanks for the input! i agree that the hook drags on for a while in the beginning but that was kind of intentional since that's what a lot of classic memphis rap does. what have you been working on?
>>
>>52675553
happens to me all the time. just throw the ideas together and take out whatever doesn't work
>>
>>52674944
No I haven't. Isn't Logic for Mac only?

>>52674951
I already tried FL and it's weird. I guess I'll just keep working with pirated version of ableton suite.
>>
>>52675768
>it's weird
I'm offended anon
>>
File: angry moth noises.gif (580KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
angry moth noises.gif
580KB, 480x360px
>>52675810
i mean where the hell is the piano roll to write midi sequences for instruments like in ableton where its right in your face and jesus christ dont get me started on how i added the folder where i keep my 3rd party vsts and couldnt find them the sidebar
>>
>>52675553
need to think in sections

first part of you track needs to have a melody and a beat, I tend to have a beat 1 bar long that repeats, then have a longer melody (4 bars or so) over top.

once you have your first section done, you can make a new beat and melody for the next part, the rest is just listening through and adding interest like solos or samples or vocals, try to keep in interesting to your ears. once you've exhausted the first section and its no longer interesting, change to the next section. keep going like that until you feel the track is finished.

maybe try to plan it out on paper? having a set structure can help.
like:
Intro (8 bars), Verse (4 bars), Section 2 (8 bars) Intro (4 bars this time), Verse (8 bars), Section 3/Outro (16 bars)

depends on the style you want to write too... listen to some of your favorite artists in the genre you're trying to do and see how they do it... copy them note for note for your own learning purposes and see how they mesh their melodies and drumbeats together. you can then use that knowledge to build your own tracks more successfully

>>52675638
been working on this epic orchestral piece, and just finished 5th string quartet. productive year so far... (also completed a song and 2 sound collage tracks)
>>
>started making shit a month or two ago
>worked on a beat all day the other day
>like it
>having a bad week
>don't feel like getting shit for it being bad or whatever

....do you guys wanna here it
>>
>>52675923
ya
>>
>>52675923
yes, right hear and now
what if I wanna there it?

lol just post the link; it's an anonymous mediterranean bowling league video sharing site anyway
>>
>>52675768
>Logic for Mac only?
Yeah, it is.
>>
>>52675923

don't leave us hanging here
>>
>>52675957
ok hold up lel.
>>
>>52675923
you didn't really sell it as amazing, but what do you have to lose? you only started a couple of months ago, it's probably horrid, unless you already had some sort of musical training beforehand
>>52675885
>piano roll
there's a button that would take you straight to it
>vsts
you have to put the dlls. into the plugin folder that is inside the image line folder
>>
Feedback most appreciated

https://soundcloud.com/thec-bolt/c-bolt-forget
>>
>>52676015
set as private m8
>>
File: destroyEVERYTHING.gif (2MB, 150x113px) Image search: [Google]
destroyEVERYTHING.gif
2MB, 150x113px
>>52675960
>yeah, it is

maybe if i could get a fucking job i could save money to buy Ableton along with whatever else i felt like i needed fuck being a lazy 19 year old asshole FUCK
>>
>>52676052

my bad, https://soundcloud.com/thec-bolt/c-bolt-forget/s-8LjyC
>>
>>52675957
>>52675972
ok ok
>>52675959
> it's an anonymous mediterranean bowling league video sharing site anyway

HAHAHA that cheered me up a bit tyty

here it is. It's not completely done, I think I'm gonna change the pitch and lower it somewhat right after the buildup and may slow it down a bit. It feels too techno-ish to me at that part for some reason, so I may change the bassy synth up a bit there, its all sort of loop like atm. I need some constructive criticism I guess.

https://soundcloud.com/1gibbay/finnurpin
>>
>>52676120
I like this, very relaxed. Do you plan on adding anything in the way of vocals? I feel like when the drums kick in the song doesn't gain as much energy as it could, it kind of swells for a split second and then bottoms out again. My observation.
>>52676120
This is interesting. What kind of genre are yo aiming for? It feels like the track is sort of on the fence between a huge dance track and a sort of hip hop beat.
>>
>>52672057
>That pic
Explain?
>>
>>52676098
having a day job is vital. need to A) pay the bills (assuming you dont live with your parents) and B) buy the equipment you need to eventually make a living from music.

Recently spent $600 on exotic instrument samples... everything from bagpipes to erhu and launeddas
>>
File: image%3A1.jpg (56KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A1.jpg
56KB, 800x792px
>buy rather complicated software
>click Help>manual
>opens a wiki in my Web browser

This shouldn't be a thing.
>>
>>52676243

Cheers anon!

Ideally there will be some sort of vocals over it, be it XXYYXX style chopped or traditional ones. It's just kind of a skeleton track at this point and I'm not overly sure where to head with it. I agree that it's definitely needs some kind of climax.

Genre wise I was heading for a kind of melancholic Lorn, IDM type style. But the directional drive kind of fizzled out over time. I'm considering having some sort of Flying Lotus low end bass stuff going on as well once I get some tolerable vocals together.
>>
This recording is done entirely off of SM 57's for Snare, Overhead, Floor Tom, 2 Guitars, Bass, and Keys and I think an SM 54 beta for the kick. This track is entirely unmixed, unmastered. and without VOX. It was recorded live with 8-tracks through a Project Firestudio Interface on an AMD 8 Core Processor, Cheap MSI Motherboard and PCI Firewire card. Ableton as a DAW. What do you think of the base song so far with what I'm working with?

https://soundcloud.com/ghostlogic-2/clown-college
>>
File: miniprog.png (544KB, 1066x902px) Image search: [Google]
miniprog.png
544KB, 1066x902px
Just about done with this shit.

>too lazy to make a round button class

"And that's how anon made his Launchpad Mini compatible with everything."
>>
>>52676345
Yeah, man it really is. I do live with my parents; where I live one moves out when they get married or graduate college, not when they turn 18 like in the states.

>600 on exotic instrument samples
Cool, are you getting them downloaded or in a physical format? why would you do that though
>>
>>52676538
It was the EW RA library. mostly because I want to be able to do anything that a score calls for. needs duduk? I can do it. needs Alpenhorn? needs didgeridoo? needs dizi? needs banjo? needs african percussion? I can do it.
I like to be prepared... Have used some of them in songs, bagpipe and duduk for example.
this was $600NZ probably not as much as you think
>>
>>52676497
love this sound. I'd describe it as non pretentious slacker rock. the guitar could definitely benefit from more presence in the mix but sounds pretty good. would love to hear with vocals
>>
>>52676608
Did you take theory classes? I imagine you play a bunch of instruments 'in real life'.
>>
>>52676691
yeah I studied music at university for 4 years, as well as playing in bands for the last ~10 years (play guitar and sing) have also been producing for almost 14 years.
I play keys, guitar, cello, drums, theremin (badly) and sing decently.

I didn't go to university until I had experimented for 10 years on my own. I realized I was making music in all my spare time and figured if I was going to do it as my job, I needed to go study it. thanks to uni I was able to get pieces recorded by real orchestras and chamber ensembles. working with real players and meeting/discussing ideas with fellow composers is one of the greatest parts of uni imo.
>>
>>52676885
that sounds like a great ride. what is the exact title of your BA degree? BA in Music Theory? I'm studying IT right now and its very interesting but I don't really care about it. I don't see myself doing it for 30 years.
>>
>>52677176
yeah BA in music, majoring in composition.
to tell the truth I still have a couple of papers to go to actually finish the degree... ended up doing far too much extramural shit like chamber concerts and film soundtracks...

The thing with IT is you'll actually get a good job. Music wont give you shit, just the knowledge to write (and write about) music. You can teach, or become a producer or composer, or performer if you're good enough.

IT will give you a solid job and then you can make tunes in your spare time, maybe take a theory or music history paper or two
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.