[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best produced album you've ever heard? Pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 17

File: West.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
West.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
What's the best produced album you've ever heard?
Pic might be related...
>>
>>52582665
West? What album is that?
>>
File: 1416857109003.gif (1MB, 200x229px) Image search: [Google]
1416857109003.gif
1MB, 200x229px
>>
>>52582690
lol, nice.
>>
RATM s/t

>>52582665
>brickwalled to shit
>good production
>>
File: 4801415791_928ed5a1d4.jpg (213KB, 370x500px) Image search: [Google]
4801415791_928ed5a1d4.jpg
213KB, 370x500px
>>52582665
Kanye pls
>>
>>52582665
what sort of "production" are we talking about?

Hip hop production? Or general audio production?
>>
OP here
>>52582685
I didn't know which album of his had the best production, but I hear it's pretty good.
I also know very little about production and was hoping to get a clue out of an answer someone would give.
>>
>>52582897
Umm... audio!
Ya, but you can just name one that has the best HH prod... For fun.
>>
>>52582922
If we're talking general, then Kanye's albums are terribly brickwalled and have no dynamics.
>>
File: Screenshot2011-05-02at100827AM.png (59KB, 922x590px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot2011-05-02at100827AM.png
59KB, 922x590px
>>52582665

>Kanye West
>"best produced album"

JHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA AHA HHAHAHAHAHAHAH HA AHAHHAHAHAJAGHAGHAGVAGAGA AFGSD JAD
>>
>>52583645

OP is confusing both types of production. MBDTF is amazing production one way and terrible the other, though in Kanye's defense the latter isn't his fault.
>>
>>52582842
is that James Murphy from LCD Soundstars?
>>
>>52582665
pls be b8
>>
Despite being over 40 years old, I think Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon is still a benchmark in audio production.
>>
>>52582665
Possibly DSotM or a Radiohead album. In Rainbows or OK Computer maybe?
>>
Mezzanine and Aja come to mind
>>
>>52583714

>though in Kanye's defense the latter isn't his fault.

how it isn't his fault?
>>
>>52583744
what would an el-p and james murphy collab sound lilke?
>>
>>52584270
not him, but it is possible it was mastered by an external party, like outsourced
>>
>>52584326

in the case of MBDTF

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/8883-dirty-projectors/2/

>So yeah, I loved the "Runaway" movie. I loved how in-between it was. I loved how you got the sense that Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was never over, because the movie had different versions of the same songs that were on the album. The mixing was different, the mastering wasn't as hot. At one point, I talked to one of the guys who mixed My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to potentially mix this album, and I was like, "I love that album so much, I love the production, and I love the way it feels-- but does it have to be so hot?" It literally sounds lower-fi than it probably did when they were working on it because it's mastered so fucking hot. I was like, "Why did you do that?" And he was like, "That's just what Kanye wants. He just wants it to be louder than Jay's album." I love that.

So not only was the album mixed hot as fuck, it was mastered by Vlado Meller aka the same guy who mastered Californication
>>
P'aps Peter Gabriel's "So" or even "up". Shit is unsane what they did and how they did it. Big big big production stuff. A gigantic mess that somehow amazingly crafted music emerged from.
>>
What does production even refer to?
>>
>>52582665
I really dislike his production style.
I think it's incredibly cheesy and it just doesn't feel organic, at all. it's like plastic
>>
>>52584297
It would sound like Duck Sauce but with the whitest vocals ever
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with this. It is the modern way things are done. Everything is compressed and the listener controls the volume. I'm not saying it's necessarily good, but virtually every mainstream artist today is produced this way and it is an idiotic critisism to point this out as a reason for inferior production.
>>52583645
>>52582728
>>
>>52584691
except there is something wrong with it because Vlado Meller just threw a bunch of hard limiters at it which causes it to distort like shit at every peak, instead of joining the rest of us in the 21st century and using decent transparent limiting techniques to make it louder without fucking the smoothness of the whole thing
>>
>>52584691

>"There is literally nothing wrong with this. It is the modern way things are done. Everything is compressed and the listener controls the volume".

aka

>I have absolutely no idea what compression is and I have no clue what I'm talking about
>>
also >>52582728 , >>52583645 please don't conflate production with mastering
>>
File: axe to fall.jpg (548KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
axe to fall.jpg
548KB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>52582665
somethin' by Ye or something by Flying Lotus.

im gonna say either MBDTF, Late Registration, Enter the Wu-Tang, The Chronic, Until the Quiet Comes, Kid A

>>52582842
do hipsters actually believe El-P is a more interesting producer than Kanye West?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJB7DrX6qQ
>>
File: insecure manlet.jpg (796KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
insecure manlet.jpg
796KB, 1000x1000px
>>52584826

>do hipsters actually believe El-P is a more interesting producer than Kanye West?

says the guy praising MBDTF and Flying Lotus

kek
>>
>>52584691
gr8b8m8
>>
>>52584769
Actually I'm in school learning audio production from people who have produced gold records and they will straight up told us this shit. Like I said, it is not necessarily good, but it is the industry standard today. That is how shit is done, everything is a brickwall. Dynamics are sacrificed because loudness sells. The main goal of producers today is to find other ways to make compositions interesting without relying on dynamics, instead manipulating timbre is the most important thing used to keep the listeners attention. To critisize it is St in this context because u are faulting music for conforming to the industry standard at the time it was made. Its like if u were criticizing an album made today for not using analog recording instead of digital. Times change. Someday things will change again and dynamics will be in vouge, but since that's not the case when the music in question was produced, you are an idiot.
>>
>>52584882
there is literally nothing interesting about the production on either run the jewels album
>>
File: hipster seals of approve.jpg (363KB, 1891x643px) Image search: [Google]
hipster seals of approve.jpg
363KB, 1891x643px
>>52584826
>hipsters
>implying p4k has ever gotten off of Kanye's dick
>>
>>52585055

>but it is the industry standard today. That is how shit is done, everything is a brickwall

Wow mate you are wasting your money then. There is nothing wrong with compression. But when you can hear clipping on an album, you have every fucking right to complain about the mixing/mastering of it, and no, contrary to what your overpriced diploma mill "audio production school" has told you, there are many ways to intelligently compress an album without butchering it a la Vlado Meller

> Its like if u were criticizing an album made today for not using analog recording instead of digital

Not it isn't you fucking retard. It is like comparing a 15 year old trying to master in FLoops to a "professional" mastering job that sounds like absolute shit

I hope mommy is paying for your school, idiot
>>
>>52585128

never said that, but your pleb is showing by calling Kanye and FlyLo "good production" when both cannot keep their hands off their brickwall compressors. You could argue it works to a certain extent for FlyLo's work, but still, there is absolutely nothing interesting from a production/mixing point of view about either
>>
>>52585128

You might be a faggot.
>>
>>52584878
Niiiice

uuugh, love this album so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71XOhpPh_kU
>>
>>52585189
Clearly you are retarded because you think a brickwall means it's clipping, where the fuck do u think the brick wall comes from? It's compression. That's why posts like this>>52583645, that u are defending, are retarded.
>>
>>52584564
yea it's too polished, he tried so hard to be perfect and ended making mediocrity
>>
>>52585280

no, I meant because I bought the fucking album and I was listening to it at a low volume and I could hear clipping. That's why I said it sounds like shit, and virtually everybody who doesn't own a Niggatech 2.0 setup would agree with me

But keep pretending your diploma mill means you "know" about production, idiot
>>
>>52585243
to most listeners that's really not a big deal
>>
>>52584826
top lel

no
>>
if u think you heard clipping on a kanye west album, you are a moron. If you paid money for a kanye west album you are braindead. End of story.>>52585342
>>
>>52585352

Not the point. A casual listener would have a hard time telling you a well produced album from a shit one. Someone naming 2 of the most mediocre producers when it comes to you know, "production" reeks of ignorance

>I like the album therefore it's good production

That's not how it works
>>
Aquemini
Doggystyle
Moment of Truth
The Main Ingredient
Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
>>
>>52585401

>if u think you heard clipping on a kanye west album,

let me know how your "music production" career goes
>>
Epitaph

by Necrophagist

I like my death metal a little rough around the edges, but this album is a brilliant, perfectionist produced exception
>>
File: 220px-AdvaiticSongsOM.jpg (21KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-AdvaiticSongsOM.jpg
21KB, 220x220px
you will never find better sounding drums
>>
ok, give me an email and I will motherfucker>>52585429
>>
definitely not fucking kanye west, even for his genre it's prob pauls boutique

in general it's probably something by albini or bitches brew
>>
File: Jellyfish-Spilt-Milk.jpg (442KB, 701x695px) Image search: [Google]
Jellyfish-Spilt-Milk.jpg
442KB, 701x695px
Seriously. Its production is perfect.
>>
>>52585500

I'd first recommend you get your ears checked

Because if you cannot hear a bad mixing and clipping your ears are shit

YOu're and idiot but that';s besides the point
>>
ctrl+f "nakata", 0 results
step it up plebs
>>
>>52582665
wintersun - time 1
>>
im serious, give me an email and shut up I'm not gonna argue>>52585555
>>
Turn blue - black keys

Consistent (albeit their oldstyle is completely gone) not one bad track tbh.
>>
>>52584502
Production, good.
Arrangements, dated.

Some of those drums are laughably tacky...
>>
>>52585632
reply to this post you bitch
>>
File: 1406838878822.jpg (12KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1406838878822.jpg
12KB, 251x251px
>>52582665
>What's the best produced album you've ever heard?
>Pic might be related...

You really don't know what "production" is if your posting Kanye as a good example lol
>>
lol that's alright, I know you will always be here anyway, I'll just post a screencap then and everyone can laugh at you when they see who's posting it with a timestamp>>52585632
>>
>>52585055
I hope you understand that sales =/= production quality. Learning how to whore out is not the same as learning how to produce a good sound.
>>
>>52585719

>implying im going to post my email on /mu/ for everybody to see

give me your email address and ill talk to you there
>>
>>52584781
don't conflate mastering with engineering
>>
Whats the meaning of production when talking about the music industry?
I don't get it
The marketing?
>>
i never said it was well produced, all I did was point out how dumb the hurrrr brickwall omg it's clipping posts are.>>52585804
>>
>>52585753
If you read the whole thread, I said I don't know shit about production, but also that I HEARD he had good production.
But someone said I ACTUALLY heard that he had good HH production... arrangement and stuff.
>>
>>52585278
Love V, one of the best tracks on the album (Metatron One also up there). It's amazing how the whole thing sounds so varied and luxurious, I can't imagine they had much resources to work with.

Waddy always teams up with great producers. Even Dj Hi-Tek is brilliant (his solo stuff was a nice surprise).
>>
>>52584878
>3 hours long

God dammit I don't have time for that but I'm enjoying it so far
>>
>>52585841
The actual recording of the sound, as opposed to writing the music, or performing it. The producer oversees the recording sessions and usually has some input in the artistic process
>>
>>52584878
What genre would this be?
>>
File: 37479.jpg (19KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
37479.jpg
19KB, 280x280px
>>
>>52586358
Well it's quite varied, from Aphex Twin like ambient stuff at the backend of the album to trip hop to fairly straight forward stuff. Best to label it under 'experimental hip hop'.
>>
>>52585847

nobody is saying brickwalling is inherently bad, but when you abuse it to the point that it sounds like shit then its bad production
>>
>>52583974
Oh yeah, the vocals ruin the album for me, but Mezzanine's a contender for sure. Some GOAT production.
>>
>>52586605
Thanks m8. About 17 minutes in and it's pretty interesting. I'm bad at labeling music with genres plus it's not really anything like I've listened to before so I was curious
>>
>>52585401
not him but there's definitely clipping on dark fantasy and monster, though it kinda works for the latter because it's gritty

gorgeous sounds like shit too
>>
>>52586729

you're talking to a faggot who goes to one of those "music production" schools where they spend most of the times teaching you how to whore yourself in "social media"
>>
File: Deltron.jpg (24KB, 341x341px) Image search: [Google]
Deltron.jpg
24KB, 341x341px
>>52582665
Or maybe Dr. Octagonecologyst. Pretty much anything produced by Automator.
>>
>>52586668
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8t351iicdrp8q24/The+Constructus+Corporation+-+The+Ziggurat.zip
Download link for yah.
>>
>>52586866
Thanks m8 already got it form the archive :^)
>>
File: ratm-ratm.jpg (184KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
ratm-ratm.jpg
184KB, 700x700px
>>
Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys
>>
the only distortions I remember on that album that someone might hear as clipping, were some of the vocals, where it is clearly done as an effect, not unlike how faggots like Jack White use shit mics sometimes for effect. Then again, I'm not gonna go listen to the some shitty album like MBDTF again just to argue with u fools. I would encourage you though to find a single criticism of the album, mind you this was a massive album with loads of public writing about it, that faults it for having actual clipping as a production error. If you can find just one credible source saying that, I would concede your position, but I am pretty sure u won't find any. >>52586729
>>
Why do you post like this? >>52587268
>>
Merzbow has stellar production, I never caught extensive noise or clipping in his songs. Consistently clear and wonderful sound.
>>
>>52584691
>Everything is compressed and the listener controls the volume.

I'd prefer it if the music wasn't ultra compressed and there was at least some dynamics in the music.

And guess what? I'd still be able to control the volume.
>>
>>52585128
Company Flow, Funcrusher Plus, and Cancer 4 Cure, you faggot.
>>
>>52587635
>Company Flow
Meant to say Fantastic Damage
>>
>>52587635
Those aren't RTJ albums though
>>
i would too. The greatest irony about our times in music is now that we record digital where there is no limits on dynamic range like on tape, we decided to change things to get rid of dynamics.
>>52587477

Also, to those other guys I actually just Google Kane and clipping to see if i could find what u were talking about. All I found was one guys blog(I think it was a blog idk) where he complains about the 'clipping' on MbdTf and most of what he talks about is a result of compression, like what's her faces intro vocal on the album he complains about the plosives clipping, which is really just something a deesser should have fixed. He also complains about other vocals and drums clipping and it's all just the compression. It is just the style of production. Like if you ever listen to anything on the radio, everything is compressed to hell there too, on commercials and things. It's not really the same as saying it's clipping, it's just made to be dry as fuck and in your face, which is the way nearly all drums are produced in hip hop. If u think it sounds unnatural it is, everything is made to feel like your ear is an inch away from it, especially drums and vocals. There's a difference between being over compressed and loudness distortion.

Its funny this makes me think of one time we we in class at school and our teacher was showing us how compression works. We recorded and acoustic guitar and listened to it with and without it. Some people in my class liked it one way, some the other.its just a preference. We would be working on projects though and our professor would literally say, 'make sure you remember to put a compressor on your master track before you had this in so you get a nice brickwall'
>>
>>52588153

>what are audible artifacts

you are mentally deficient.
>>
>>52585519
>for his genre it's prob pauls boutique
agreed
>something by albini
this. nina nastasia's dogs is the number one for me. that or pet sounds
>>
File: 14141097499144.jpg (36KB, 365x450px) Image search: [Google]
14141097499144.jpg
36KB, 365x450px
>>52582665
>What's the best produced album you've ever heard? Pic might be related
>pic of kanye west

i legit kek'd but knowing /mu/ these days this probably isn't b8
>>
>>52582665
kanye is the epitome of mediocrity. stop posting anytime
>>
>ctrl f "hopkins"
>0 results

what the actual fuck /mu/?
how has nobody said anything by jon hopkins?
>>
File: 00-Front.jpg (51KB, 550x481px) Image search: [Google]
00-Front.jpg
51KB, 550x481px
yeezus is the best production i've heard, the lyrics are shit tho

people who are arguing that good production isn't what sounds good are wrong
>>
>>52587012
If memory serves me correct, don't people use this album to check the quality of speakers and such?
>>
>>52590332

yes
>>
File: Deftones-selftitled_albumcover.jpg (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Deftones-selftitled_albumcover.jpg
56KB, 300x300px
this and LOG's ashes of the wake for tidy metal production
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.