[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hip-hop is the most technical genre in terms of lyricism and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

File: 1416271960481s.jpg (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1416271960481s.jpg
6KB, 250x250px
Hip-hop is the most technical genre in terms of lyricism and the use of poetic devices. Clever wordplay, complex rhyme schemes, metaphors, similes, alliteration, onomatopoeia: etc. no genre does it better than hip-hop.

Evidence? Name a more lyrical song off of any genre more lyrical than say Jay Z's D'Evils or Nas's New York State of Mind or Mos Def's Mathematics or even Biggie's Juicy. These are just some popular examples of great hip-hop lyricism and technicality, we find it gets even deeper and better once you delve into more underground acts like Cannibal Ox, Pharoahe Monch, Aesop Rock etc.
>>
>caring about lyrics
whoops dropped something
>>
>>52132727
>whoops dropped something
>>
>>52132668
U are probably white and in high school
>>
>>52132668
>more lyrical
Hm...

Hurricane by Bob Dylan.

Done, now fuck off.
>>
>>52132668
it may be true, but the worst lyricist can make good hip-hop
>>
>>52132668
Hip hop is literally all about image
>>
>>52132845
>>52132867
>>52132879
>>52132885
whoops, dropped something
>>
File: 1417688548174.jpg (82KB, 403x604px) Image search: [Google]
1417688548174.jpg
82KB, 403x604px
ITT: Unfunny ironic edgy teens or people who genuinely know nothing about the genre

For real though, a lot of people don't understand the way rap rhymes work. You see it in rap parodies that always just do monosyllabic rhymes with no slants, like "owned" and "toned".

If you don't know what multisyllabics, consonance, assonance, or alliteration are, you probably don't know enough about hip-hop to be a good judge of its quality.
>>
>>52132668
yep.

well Folk can do all of this too and often does, but lyrically no other genres (as a whole) come even close to Folk and Hip-Hop
>>
>>52132959

Even folk has little to no emphasis on multisyllabic rhymes. That alone gives hip-hop a lot more complexity with regards to the rhymes.
>>
>>52132956
get off your high horse, yes I see people ignore this shit in hip hop constantly, but everyone knows what these lyrical devices are, they teach this stuff in High School English classes, don't pretend to be smart because you passed 10th grade
>>
>>52132956
>rhyming nigga with nigga
>>
>>52132727

Spotted the Kanye fan
>>
>>52132956
>alliteration
o wow, that sounds rly smart, whats alliter8tion???
>>
>>52132959
Hip hop is fucking boring lyrically . Literally all of them rap about how much better they are then everybody .
>>
>>52133004

Where do I say I think I'm smart? I'm just saying a lot of people like to think they know about hip-hop as a genre but have no idea whatsoever about how its rhyme schemes actually work. You see it in this very thread, this is relevant to the discussion.
>>
>>52132845
Nice. Want to assume anything else?

>>52132867
Hurricane has its strengths but it is far from being as lyrical as D'Evils or NY State of Mind.

>>52132885
All art is about image, dumbass.

>>52132956
This guy gets it.

>>52133016
>rock
>rhyming rock with cock

>folk
>rhyming tears with fears

>classical
>wub wub wub wub

this shit is easy.

>>52132925
hilarious meme
>>
File: 1414442753725.jpg (57KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1414442753725.jpg
57KB, 640x360px
>>52133069

Sometimes I wonder with these kinds of posts, are they the expected (troll posts) or do the people underneath them actually believe this shit?

If you aren't a troll, I recommend listening to some Cannibal Ox, Fantastic Damage, Dalek, Amir Sulaiman, or The Roots. You'll learn a bit more about music.
>>
>>52133069
That's ALL they do? Have you listened to anything that isn't shoveled to you by radio stations?
>>
>>52133065
>thinking alliteration is a big word
lol did you drop out in grade 6?
>>
>>52133108
i strongly recommend not starting with fantastic damage. it's a good album, but by far his least accessible work
>>
>>52133121
Underground rappers talk about literally the same things lil wayne and chief keef rap about it . They just do it more "cleverly".
>>
>>52133156

This is exclusively in response to "Literally all of them rap about how much better they are than everybody"

If someone actually holds that kind of opinion, fantastic damage would be the best "Oh, I was completely wrong" example from El-P's discography.

Then again, if someone actually consistently holds that opinion, they're either deliberately trolling or will refuse to listen to reason. It's kind of like arguing with people who refuse to believe in evolution.

>>52133191

Do they really? Was Cancer For Cure really just weed and sex underneath all of the talk about remaining an individual in a society that encourages conformity?
>>
>>52133191
you're being willfully ignorant if you're saying you can't find rap that isn't about how great the rapper is
>>
>>52133191
Oh really? Would you like to provide some examples and validate your claims instead of being a noposting faggot?
>>
>>52132668
>Name a more lyrical song off of any genre
Literally any Bob Dylan song ever
>>
>>52133233
Nas , common , mos def , wu tang clan , cannibus , biggie smalls all of them critically acclaimed all of them talk about the same garbage as lil wayne
>>
>>52133274
Ah, like this one, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbV_l-JKeyE
>>
>>52133316

>Cannibus
>Critically acclaimed

Holy shit, you really are clueless. You do know cannibus fell off harder than anything and is doing conspiracy theory rap now, right?

Let's get real though, your claim was "Underground rappers talk about literally the same things lil wayne and chief keef rap about it . They just do it more "cleverly". many people have given examples of underground rappers that don't fit this stereotype, and yet you haven't responded to any of them.

So let's see some responses. How does Dalek do that? How does Q-tip do that? How does Amir Sulaiman do that? How do Young Fathers do that?
>>
>>52133321
what the fuck is this unfunny bullshit video
>>
>>52133377
>Q tip
>underground
He is very critically acclaimed
>>
>>52133316
>nas
So we'll just ignore his recounting of life in the street and the hardships black people face in America.
>common
So we'll just forget his love and pride to the African homeland and to women just because he made a few 'gangsta' songs.
>mos def
So we'll forget his love of faith, women, and traditional values.

You see where I'm going with this?

>Hell, rock can be simplified by the same terms.

The Beatles, The Who, My bloody valentine, the rolling stones, the smiths, radiohead all of them critically acclaimed all of them talk about the same garbage as the Red Hot Chili Peppers

I would never say that, and neither would you. Fuck off.
>>
>>52133435

cool, we'll throw him out.

how does Dalek do that? how does Amir Sulaiman do that? How do Young Fathers do that?
>>
>>52133435
Does underground mean "critically panned" to you? The way you worded that made it seem that way.
>>
>>52133454
>>52133465

U cant be underground and critically acclaimed
>>
>>52133516
Faust is pretty critically acclaimed, doesn't mean they're well know. Critics are "supposed" to be erudites who know more than your average person. This means there will be artists that only the "experts" know about and recognise as brilliant.
>>
>>52132956
>taking tough-guy nursery rhymes this seriously

come on man
>>
>>52133516

Amir Sulaiman hasn't been touched by critics.

But it's obvious at this point you're a low-quality troll.
>>
>>52133556
There well known in krautrock . There not underground .
>>
what about joanna?
>>
>>52133595

ask the average person who isn't into music who Faust is

they will have no clue
>>
>>52133595
And Naked City is a "well known" Grindcore group. Doesn't mean a lot of people know who they or Faust are.
>>
>>52133659
Joanna is a great lyricist, she has a unique grasp on imagery, metaphors and symbols plus rhymes decently, but if we get techincal she's nowhere close to this, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adENoFfYakU
Honestly, rap has made rhyme evolve more in 30 years than poetry in 300.
Not op btw.
>>
>>52133769
>if we get techincal
Please, "get technical" and explain why it's better.
>>
>>52133769
>if we get technical
>if we get into boring 9th grade english bullshit nobody cares about
>if we disregard meaning of lyrics, control of voice, texture, tonality and everything else a rational music listener cares about
>>
>>52133595
the average person doesn't even know what krautrock is
>>
>>52133819
Number of assonant syllables per rhyme.
>pic-ture-of-a-com-plish-ment
>mix-ture-of-the-o-ppo-sites
>in-se-cure-and-con-fi-dent
It just goes on and on, since Kool G Rap, Rakim and Big Daddy Kane started using multisyllabic rhymes rhyming 2 or 3 syllables rappers have been improving and getting crazier with the schemes, just look at Eminem's Lose Yourself for example. Rap is like the percussion of singing, so it relies on rhythm alone and has to make up for the lack of musical melody by crafting a sort of vocal melody that can't be found pretty much anywhere else.
>>52133980
>I don't care about it so nobody does
>implying the level of techincal complexity takes away anything from the lyrics
>>
>>52134090
if you read my comment carefully you will see that I didn't say that nobody cares about it.

I'm saying that if you are the slightest bit educated in poetry, none of this is impressive in the slightest and the focus on multisyllabic rhymes and dumb fucking metaphors detracts from the quality of the work.
that's why "real hip hop" is shit, and why the only rapper to be praised across the board by English Phds is Lil Wayne, not muh conscious rap.
>>
>>52134090
Why does quantity and frequency of rhyme make it better? That's like implying a piece with frequent chord changes is harmonically brilliant. It's more impressive to have a clever harmonic structure that facilitates other aspects of the piece than to have a really dynamic and messy one of that actively detracts from the work as a whole.
>>
>>52134198
>none of this is impressive in the slightest
Show me a poem that rhymes like that and we'll have an agreement.
also
>if we get into boring 9th grade english bullshit nobody cares about
>if you read my comment carefully you will see that I didn't say that nobody cares about it.
kek
>>52134257
It does not make it universally better, it makes it better by hip hop standards. Just like techincal death metal sounds like shit to me but I'm sure the good bands have a shitload of merit to them.
Besides there's no such thing as harmony in language, the only resource we have is the repetition of similar sounds.
>>
Another example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBt8QVHzhkc
The fact that poets started caring less and less about rhyme and metric as history progressed doesn't make them any less valuable.
>>
>>52134386
>Show me a poem that rhymes like that and we'll have an agreement.
seriously?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_rhyme
>>
>>52134843
Seriously? That's the best you can do? A wikipedia article that mostly consists of rap quotes?
Internal rhyme =/= Multisyllabic rhyme
Rhyming groups of 3 syllables =/= Rhyming groups of 8
>>
>>52134386
>>52134966
Dude, multisyllabic rhyming isn't that impressive. Don't try to pretend that hip-hop lyricism is on the same level as T.S. Eliot or Leonard Cohen because of internal and multisyllabic rhyming. I love hip-hop, but the poetic elements don't really stack up against the lyricism of more impressive lyricists like Cohen, Dylan, Newsom, or Springsteen.
>>
>>52134966
Are you looking for something that has two lines where there 8 syllables in the first rhyme with 8 in the second with identical rhythm in the two lines? Most poetry with a focus on rhymes goes for more complex schemes than abcdefghabcdefgh
Read Poe's "The Raven" for example where rhymes are woven throughout the lines, along with alliteration and other devices that keep the verse flowing rather than abrupt.
>>
>>52135414
Cohen, Dylan, Newsom and Springsteen might be better lyricists in terms of the content, the same way I can say Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zaratustra (which is mostly poetic prose) shits on all of them combined, but in terms of form they don't come even close to the better hip hop lyricists, it's a matter of fonetics alone.
>>52135466
The raven is beautiful and has quite a lot of internal rhyme and alliteration, but it's still pretty simple and has low rhyme density by hip hop standards. And the thing about multisyllabic rhyming is that it doesn't mean that the schemes are simpler, just that the individual rhymes are longer. A 8 syllable rhyme can be just the A in a ABBCCA scheme, in where the B can be a group of 3 and the C a group of 4. It's just rhyming on steroids.
>>
>>52135697
I guess nobody considered rhyme density to be worth pursuing to that extent. If you're looking for beauty in form in general rather than just rhyme, maybe check out Shakespeare, Milton, etc. or if you're ok with other languages, Homer and Dante are pretty cool.
>>
>>52135781
That's the thing, nobody had that much a reason to pursue rhyme density because nobody had to "compete" with singers without actually singing.
That's what makes rhymes so essential for rappers.
>>
>>52135992
I don't follow.

Why is rhyme density essential? It seems to me like having to sing without singing means that the timbre of the voice and rhythm of speech becomes more important. I don't get where rhyme density comes into play. Rhyme is one method of portraying rhythm but certainly not the only one.
>>
>>52133069
Listen to deep puddle dynamics if you aren't being ironic.
>>
>>52136192
The vowels have their own *kind of* melody.
Has it ever happenned to you that someone says something and you understand a completely different sentence? 90% of the time the vowels match. A simple way to put it would be comparing the repetition of 2 notes, which can hardly be called a melody, to the repetition of 6, which can lead to loops really pleasing to the ear.
>>
>>52135697
>but in terms of form they don't come even close to the better hip hop lyricists
That's fair, but form is the least interesting and compelling facet of poetry to me. Sure, if the content is great and the form is too, then it'd make for an interesting piece of work; but content is more important to me, and hip-hop rarely has very compelling content. I also think that too much of an insistence on rhyming is often to hip-hop lyrics detriment, because it limits the breadth of what can be expressed in a moving way. Like you said about The Raven, it might not be as structurally complex as some hip-hop (and I don't really believe that anyway, but The Raven is much more beautiful and compelling than any hip-hop I've listened to.

Also, multisyllabic and internal rhyming aren't very hard for anyone with a half-decent vocabulary, and I promise you that if the more eminent poets had focused on that they would have outdone any rapper by a mile.
>>
ill go right ahead and be honest i am into rock music and i've really tried to like hip hop with the verry reason being the lyrics, i find many of them whitty or intresting and clever. though i cant get into to it because of the music behind the lyrics, that is what bothers me the most.
>>
>>52136666
Nice quads.
>Also, multisyllabic and internal rhyming aren't very hard for anyone with a half-decent vocabulary, and I promise you that if the more eminent poets had focused on that they would have outdone any rapper by a mile.
Well, I'm sure they would have but they didn't, which I consider to be a shame.
>>
>>52136486
thats nice but it doesn't mean that 8-syllable rhymes are "better" or "more musical" than 3 or 1-syllable ones. This points to a fundamental difference in our understandings of music, I think. To me, a melody doesn't have to be fully repeated from one bar to the next in order for it to be melodic. In fact, I consider that degree of repetition to be a negative characteristic.
>>
>>52136792
Yeah, but vowels don't interact with themselves in the harmonic way notes do. The vowel "melody" only becomes aparent through repetition, otherwise we would have plenty of vowel combinations that are particulary pleasant to hear and I don't think we do.
>>
>>52136779
Yeah, it would have been interesting to see what they might have come up with. Also, I don't mean to give the impression that I don't respect or that I dislike hip-hop, because I love it. I largely agree with you that people don't appreciate the lyricism enough, but I just find other lyricists more impressive. Who's your favorite rapper? I'm partial to Andre 3000, and I've been digging what Ishmael Butler has been doing with Shabazz Palaces. Rakim and Q-tip are other favorites.
>>
>>52137174
Sadistik is my favorite because I bonded hard as fuck to his music during a breakup, but 3000 is definitely my runner up. He's just so natural, absolutely born to do this.
Other favorites are Eligh, Big L, Eyedea and Krayzie Bone.
I'm not native tho, so lyrics are not my main concern, which is funny considering how analytic I am when it comes to rhymes.
>>
>>52137071
I disagree that it only becomes apparent through repetition, but I don't think either of us will be winning the other over at this point. I think there are plenty of vowel combinations that are pleasant to hear. Have you never heard a sentence and been struck by how beautiful it is just based on the sounds?
>>
>>52137654
Yeah, but that's usually because of the consonants. Anyway, even if you're right I don't think there's anybody actively trying to come up with vowel combinations that sound pleasant. Maybe they should, though.
>>
>>52132956
Only quality comment ITT
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.