[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why 4/4 /mu/? what if we tried 2/2? if all popular music was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: computermeme.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
computermeme.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
why 4/4 /mu/? what if we tried 2/2?

if all popular music was in... say 5/8, would children be learning to play in 5/8?
>>
Yes, but it wouldn't be.
>>
theoretically you can shut the fuck up
>>
symmetry. very little would change. probably.
>>
>>51835216
yes i believe that what we call "good" or "accessible" totally is based on our culture and our history of music

if we used a 24 tone system for hundreds of years, every music that would came up today with "major or minor scales" would be disgraced
>>
it's even and the most appealing to the brains natural sense of rhythm
>>
File: infidels.jpg (6KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
infidels.jpg
6KB, 189x189px
>music is automatically better if it's in an unconventional time signature
I'll never understand how avant-teens think
>>
4/4 is the natural rhythm of hundreds and hundreds of things, no matter what system we used, it would always gravitate to four, especially with accessible music.

People who say "five sounds odd because of history" are retarded, five has always sounded odd and always will with the exception of a couple of phrasings that have become popular
>>
why are you all such know-nothing children holy fuck
>>
>>51836842
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCHwsp9bSc
>>
>>51836842
But 5 is the number of digits on one hand. And our number system is based on 10 for this reason.
>>
>>51836890
Grace us with your elder wisdom, then.
>>
Damn I was just thinking like 2 hours ago what if the standard time signature for popular music was always 5/4 or something and everybody thought it sounded normal and thought 4/4 sounded weird
>>
>>51836842
This is demonstrably not-true
liek 99% of music from pre-western cultures isn't in 4/4, and a lot doesn't even have a formal notion of time signature
>>
>>51836927
Not him but so what
>>
>>51836890
and why are you so much smarter than the entire thread?
>>
>>51836956
And anyone with a brain knows that that was one of the biggest mistakes of the human race. 8, 12 and 16 are the best number. 5 is odd and always will be odd, just because we decided to use it as a number system doesn't stop it being dumb

>>51837182
>liek 99% of music from pre-western cultures isn't in 4/4, and a lot doesn't even have a formal notion of time signature
Citation fucking needed mate, aside from some weird as tribal drumming, traditional folk music is pretty much always in 4 or 3 (or variants within)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.