[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post-Rock: what happened? I got into Post-Rock two years ago.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (92KB, 613x344px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 613x344px
Post-Rock: what happened?

I got into Post-Rock two years ago. I started with stuff like TNT, MNLWND, Hex, Disco Inferno, Talk Talk... And it's so much better than shit like EITS and generic crescendo core
>>
and as far as I know post-rock has been completely dead this year. not that I look for it at all but I havent noticed a damn thing.
>>
File: cover.jpg (216KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
216KB, 960x960px
This one was pretty nice

There really has not been any post rock though. I've been wanting to make some for a while but no drummers.
>>
The hillarious thing is even Post Rock artists couldn't escape the limitations and generic nature of rock music
>>
Rock died after grunge.

Even grunge was trash but at least they could write some decent songs
>>
I feel pretty much the entirety of third wave isn't really worth listening to because it's all EitS and LYSF worship. And I'm saying that as someone who enjoys LYSF and GY!BE in general.

That said there's some decent post-'00s post-rock out there but it's rare to come by.
>>
>>51827096
>crescendo core

wat?
>>
>>51827171
Anything influenced by GY!BE is crescendo core because lift yr skinny fists is too popular so people can't like it anymore.
>>
>>51827171
how's your first day on /mu/?
>>
>>51827171
It's actually a pretty stupid term since there are a lot of bands you can call like that that aren't post-rock. Take Indian Summer, for example.
>>
>>51827110
Jakob - Sines is okay and honestly you guys were way too harsh on Rave Tapes but yeah it was a shit year for post rock

>>51827171 see >>51827133
There are so so so many bands that must have seen that LYSF was really highly rated, misinterpreted the album completely, gave themselves a name like "Twinkling Rivers In The Love Majestic Atmosphere" and started blurting out record after record of generic buildup-crescendo-buildup-crescendo with no interesting anything, while proclaiming themselves to be extremely deep and meaningful (they're not they just want attention). It's a very shallow gimmick and I fucking hate it.

/mu/ very easily confuses "any song with a crescendo in it" for "bad" though. It's bad if it's bad music with a crescendo in it, "crescendocore" is just another way to compose a song.
>>
>>51827406
Yeah but even if a song does the buildup-crescendo-buildup-crescendo thing, does it matter if the result is a beautiful song? Obviously an entire album like that would be bullshit and a lack of creativity, and they would bleed into each other to the point you couldn't tell them apart, but are we seriously going to say bands that are hated on around here like EitS, Hammock, Maybeshewill, ect, are honestly that fucking terrible? Perhaps they aren't the greatest, but would anyone say they don't have a handful of decent songs?
>>
>>51827127
Rock isn't more limited than hip-hop, ambient or noise. It's just that it's a popular genre and every single person makes the same fucking thing.

That shit would get fixed if artists would actually explore music and take influences from other shit, but no, most musicians are fucking plebs.
>>
>>51827444
Fuck off pleb.
>>
>>51827468
> /mu, where everyone is a pleb but me, even the ones who make the music.
>>
>>51827444
I guess it depends on what people are looking for in post-rock. I mean, there's first wave purists who can't stand anything after 1996, there's 2nd wave fans that cry about how post-rock is dead forever ever since The Earth Is Not A Could Dead Place came out, you can't please everyone. The third wave is however probably the most homogenous one of the three and if you don't like that sound, well then tough luck but them's the breaks.

That said though, even though I don't like the greater majority of 3rd wave post-rock, there's occasionally some album that pops up that I do actually enjoy. Tunnel Blanket, for example. Then there's of course post-rock bands that seem to be creeping back a little towards first wave such as Grails, Radian or Tarentel.
>>
>>51827511
Are you seriously this stupid?
>>
>>51827123
I can't find any guitarists who want to play shit that isn't EITS-core rip
>>
>>51827708
I've been messing around a lot with surfy post rock sounds lately. I really wish I had a strymon el capistan that I could use to get some juicy self oscillation and wow/flutter.
>>
>>51827747
I've just been hitting drums man I don't even know what that shit means
>>
>>51827770
Just delay stuff. My current delay is a bit too much and I cant really turn it down. Also I apologize in advance for the buzzy recording, my interface is dead.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lAJqpz4kXJ
>>
i really like the first wave
i got into it by GYBE
i also dig them, though other 2nd wave stuff like mono or mogwai is terrible to me and the 3rd a worse version of the 2nd
>>
>>51827803
I sort of get it, pretty kool
>>
>>51827916
I really just want to play loud sloppy noisy psychedellic rock
>>
>>51827878
I've just been getting myself into Crippled Black Phoenix and I really like this album, does /mu/ approve of them or are they another generic crescendocore?
>>
File: Isis-Oceanic-Album-Cover.jpg (360KB, 1410x1380px) Image search: [Google]
Isis-Oceanic-Album-Cover.jpg
360KB, 1410x1380px
>>51827096
Post-rock died after LYSF and rise of post-metal
>>
>>51827878
Do people exclude Agaetis Byrjun in an attempt to hit critical mass edginess?

Agaetis Byrjun was released before LYSF and was much more influential than LYSF.
>>
>>51827999
I don't get why SR gets lumped with all generic crescdendocore, their stuff is much more dream pop influenced and they were actually willing to take some new ideas with Valtari and Kveikur
>>
>>51827123
Where do you live?
>>
>>51828051
Because they got popular probably. Fact of the matter is that Agaetis Byrjun is better than anything Godspeed have made and more influential on later post rock.
>>
>>51828059
Twin Cities
>>
>>51827999
( ) > AB
>>
>>51827988
Post-metal died before it even started though. It's like a curse, anything post-rock touches becomes dull very quickly.
>>
>>51828089
Is untitled 8 the greatest closer of all time?
It's a perfect example of credcendos done right.
>>
File: Affliction-XXIX-II-MXMVI-cover.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Affliction-XXIX-II-MXMVI-cover.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>51828098
Come on, have you listened to Blindead? Great stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FFIVI86iQ
>>
>>51828089
Nah. AB simply has more to offer and offers it better.
>>
>>51828135
That does sound pretty sweet, will have to listen to more of them. Still, the entire modern post-metal/sludge scene is just filled with stuff that sounds practically the same so this is more of an exception to the rule.
>>
disco inferno and talk talk as post rock? wtf. post rock is late ninties shit like tortoise and that's it
>>
>>51828172
I guess you're not CoL and Rosetta fan then
>>
>>51828098
I dunno dude, there's some ok stuff like Old Man Gloom and Amenra but it's kind of sad that 90% of atmosludge is aping Isis and Neurosis. I still feel some of them do a decent job at least.
>>
>>51828217
Nope, the only bands I love from the scene are Rwake and Neurosis. Maybe Abandon too but they have little in common with post-metal. Feel free to share some stuff that stands out from the crowd though.
>>
>>51828253
Well I mostly know about the most famous bands but what do you not like about Isis? They're the closest thing metal has come to to being heavy and emotionally engaging at the same time to me.
>>
>>51828288
I don't really know how to explain other than it just didn't click. The loud parts didn't get me very hype and I didn't find the slower parts particularly atmospheric or pleasant-sounding. Everything just kinda blends in together, you know?
>>
>>51828382
Well Ok, it still hasn't clicked with me completely either, I love the concepts and instrumentation but I still feel like I'm missing something.
Started with them only last month.
>>
>>51828148
>AB simply has more to offer
sure
>and offers it better.
hell no
>>
>>51828529
Thatsjustlikeyourpoinionman.jpg
>>
>>51828558
Same could be said for >>51828148 though.
>>
2014 has been a decent year for post-rock
>>
>>51828777
What did you like? I only listened to new Crippled Black Phoenix album and that Finninsh one with drinking creature
>>
File: Prockv11.png (2MB, 3164x2336px) Image search: [Google]
Prockv11.png
2MB, 3164x2336px
waves are for homosexuals

this chart is for semi-homosexuals, but i think it's helpful if you're looking for certain styles, as waves don't describe what you're actually listening to.
>>
File: folder.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>51828875
Where would you add post-rock influenced prog like CBP and this?
>>
>>51829009
The chart is arbitrarily made and can be arranged in many, many ways and mostly for entry-level shit.

I'll check that album out. Post-rock influenced prog sounds cool.
>>
is slint post-rock?/
>>
>>51827096
>iPod headphones
>Volume control is on the earbud in his left ear
>Volume control is always on the right earbud
What a pleb
>>
>>51830158
I've always found that Slint has similarities to Moss Icon, specifically in the album Spiderland. Moss Icon is proto-screamo/emo and hardcore. Slint is obviously a little softer on the ears, but it fits closer to that than lets say: Talk Talk, or Disco Inferno.
>>
>>51831353
Sometimes I get sad when my post kills a thread, but then I just think: no, I was just the most right.
>>
>>51827096
First-wavers who complain about post rock sound like kids commenting on Queen videos on Youtube.
>i'm only 12 years old but i listen to proper post rock, i wish i was around in the 90s so i could experience all the proper post rock, bark psychosis, slint etc. not the mass-produced crescendo rubbish we have today
>>
>>51831816
Exactly
>>
>>51827096
Yeezus is best post rock
>>
>>51831777
Honestly, you were. You have to have a slightly trollish edge to keep a thread going.

Like this: >>51831816
>>
>>51833248
He's right though
>>
>>51827171
It's /mu/ being ignorant about music
>>
>>51833265
I never said he wasn't.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.