[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Is electronic the best genre?
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 11
File: beep.jpg (864 KB, 2182x2729) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
beep.jpg
864 KB, 2182x2729
Is electronic the best genre?
>>
File: electronic music2.jpg (52 KB, 500x392) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
electronic music2.jpg
52 KB, 500x392
electronic music isnt real music
>>
>electronic music
>good

Pick one
>>
Trap is the best genre.
>>
>>51611545
Thats an electronic subgenre
>>
>>51611441
>electronic
>genre
>There are 2 genres, electronic and acoustic.
>>
>>51611574
I gotta be honest, that's the best way to sort music.

Every non-electronic genre can be considered a subgenre of acoustic.
>>
>>51611574
lol'd
>>
>>51611574
>>There are 2 genres, electronic and acoustic.

yes
>>
there are two types of people
electric and autistic
>>
>>51611441
Its the only relevant one in this century
>>
>>51611574
nah

There's electronic, rock, jazz, hiphop, EDM, folk, classical and funk/soul/rnb
>>
>>51611441
can anyone rec good synth and industrial music?
I enjoyed the knife, planningtorock, kontravoid and the stuff that isn't electronic I like is james blake and lil ugly mane
>>
>>51612747
And trust too
>>
>>51612664
>rock, jazz, folk, classical and funk/soul/rnb
All acoustic

>hiphop, EDM
All electronic
>>
>>51612747
>the stuff that isn't electronic I like is james blake and lil ugly mane
> james blake and lil ugly mane
>isn't
>>
>>51612664
>electronic
>EDM
yeah no
besides that, this is roughly how I sort my genres, not saying it's the right way, just the one I'm comfortable with. And I split pop and metal from rock
>>
>>51612747
Solid Space - Space Museum
Units - Digital Stimulation
Sucide - s/t
Kraftwerk - Die Mensch-Maschine
>>
>>51612803
>I split pop and metal from rock

why?
>>
>>51612830
Because they're stylistically different enough for me
>>
>>51612813
Thanks anon forgot I had a Kraftwerk album, I like them The Man Machine is what that translates to right?
>>
Well Hip-Hop can be made with acoustic instruments, there can be acoustic instruments in electronic music and there can be synths in pop or some forms of rock.

We can either talk about, electronic and acoustic as way of making music or parts of it or as genres in which case Hip Hop is not considered as electronic music.

Also isn't Happy Hardcore sub genre of Hardcore and not Breakbeat?
>>
File: tipsfedora.gif (2 MB, 380x285) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
tipsfedora.gif
2 MB, 380x285
>>51611527
The funny thing is, some people think this unironically
>>
>>51611590
Then you have electroacustic and the whole thing falls apart
>>
>>51613075
also electronic sugenre
>>
>>51613017
>people who actually try to argue hip-hop isn't an electronic subgenre
0/10
>>
>>51613318
thank you captain obvious
>>
>>51613383
It's made with electronic equipment, but it's not categorized as electronic music :D It has a whole different feel than the big genre we know as "electronic music" and it's not part of it. It's a different question that what kind of instruments is Hip Hop usually made with. Ask any Hip Hop producer or listener or go to a ONLY-electronic music festival and ask where Hip Hop is played, you get the same answer.
>>
>>51613508
>It's made with electronic equipment, but it's not categorized as electronic music
Yes it is

> It has a whole different feel than the big genre we know as "electronic music"
No it doesn't

>and it's not part of it.
Yes it is

> It's a different question that what kind of instruments is Hip Hop usually made with.
Electronic music is so named for the instruments

>Ask any Hip Hop producer or listener or go to a ONLY-electronic music festival and ask where Hip Hop is played, you get the same answer.
Its all electronic music, there is no difference, same has vocals, some doesn't be it hip hop or trance etc

Hip hop should actually be under breaks
>>
>>51612777
>rock
>made with electric guitars
>acoustic
>>
>>51613549
amplification =! instrument
>>
>>51613558
>electric guitar
>not electric

literally what
>>
>>51613543
>Electronic music is so named for the instruments
It's partly named for what it's made with, but also named after what the sound feels like, which is "electronic" and partly because unknown/not specified reasons. It's how we come up with any kind of proper nouns.

Electronic and acoustic in those senses are not genres.

>Its all electronic music, there is no difference, same has vocals, some doesn't be it hip hop or trance etc
What do you mean there is no difference? Can you see a difference between Rock and Blues?

>Hip hop should actually be under breaks
And Trance could be under House, but sometimes sub genres evolve into a recognized genres in themselves.
>>
>>51612747
>industrial music
Throbbing Gristle
Einsturzende Neubauten
Coil
Foetus
>>
>Acoustic
Music made using acoustics (Ex. The sound of the strings of a guitar bouncing around in the body of the guitar)

>Electronic
Music made using electronics (Ex. Synthesized drum pattern w/ tape- looped jazz sample)
>>
>>51613665
No, its solely named for the instruments.

>What do you mean there is no difference? Can you see a difference between Rock and Blues?
>And Trance could be under House, but sometimes sub genres evolve into a recognized genres in themselves.

You can't pick and choose, if hip hop isn't a sub of electronic, then none of them are.
>>
>>51613665
>>51613710
>>51613756
Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments and electronic music technology in its production, an electronic musician being a musician who composes and/or performs such music.

Everything in the OP image is electronic music.
>>
File: Rainbow-Cookies.jpg (122 KB, 620x414) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Rainbow-Cookies.jpg
122 KB, 620x414
>>51613756
>No, its solely named for the instruments
Well we just have to agree to disagree on that one :D

>You can't pick and choose, if hip hop isn't a sub of electronic, then none of them are.
I see what you mean. But in my eyes there is a difference between, which roots a specific genre originated from, and how we categorize them. Also the way we view things changes all the time. (Example when I people speak about House music now days, that doesn't include Trance under it and the other way around, but that was different in the 80s.) It's the view that we have about the subject at that specific time. What is a sub genre? As I see it, it means any form of music that can be categorized under the main genre, but is not recognized as a genre in itself.

If we talk about origins. Disco came from funk, pop, psychedelic soul and salsa music, which are not made with electronic instruments. House came from Disco, but has evolves into it's own genre. Trance contains elements of House, Techno, Acid house, Chill-out, Pop, Classical, Film score and even Hardcore techno (if there is any believing in Wikipedia) and is now a genre of it's own. Hip Hop formed in 1970s and originates from Funk, Disco, Dub, Blues, Reggea, Dancehall and many others. We still don't categorize Hip Hop under Soul or Salsa music do we?

If we go back to sub genres, why isn't Tropical House a genre of it's own when it has parts of jazz, blues and tribal music blended to it? It's because it still clearly feels House and hasn't evolved enough to be separated completely, but maybe in future it just might.

I rest my case. Here's cookies for you.
>>
>>51613778
Music isn't solely categorized by which instruments you play it with. Music is much more than just the instruments behind it.
>>
>>51611545
Give me an example of trap, never heard of it.
>>
>>51614151
Electronic is.
>>
>>51614088
So in other words, electronic is a meaningless label.
>>
>>51614351
House, techno, breaks are meaningless labels.
>>
>>51614324
You can categorize music any way you want. In the way you categorize, if there is even a single electronic instrument in a song, does it suddenly become electronic music?
>>
File: 1413391363293.gif (2 MB, 400x326) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1413391363293.gif
2 MB, 400x326
>>51614365
Glad you cleared that up professor.
>>
>>51614351
There are many genre's of Electronic music just like there are many genre's or Rock. It's not meaningless, but it's not an instrument category, at least not as a norm. You can categorize any way you want.
>>
>>51614365
rock, jazz and classical are meaningless labels.
>>
>>51614415
>it's not an instrument category
yes it is

> You can categorize any way you want
(not true by the way)
>>
>>51614453
Post-rock, modal jazz, baroque classical are meaningless labels.

Rock, jazz, classical music and electronic music are absolutely fine.
>>
>>51614462
:D you can limit yourself all you want. If you can't bring any more points to the conversation, I'll consider it finished. You don't even want me to bring dance music into this whole thing.

>>51614469
Not the poster of that claim, but that's your opinion.
>>
>>51614469
>classical
>fine

get out
>>
>>51614511
>limit yourself

Its the definition on any website you care to link, its a fact.
>>
>>51614511
My "opinion" is objectively correct until proven otherwise.
>>
does /mu/ like electronic music so much because they cant play any actual instruments?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music
>Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments and electronic music technology in its production, an electronic musician being a musician who composes and/or performs such music.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Electronic/
>Electronic music is music which uses non-traditional electronic instrumentation and sound manipulation technology as the primary musical backbone of a composition.

http://www.last.fm/tag/electronic
>Electronic music refers to music that emphasizes the use of electronic musical instruments or electronic music technology as a central aspect of the sound of the music.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Electronic%20Music
>Electronic music is a term for music created using electronic devices.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/electronic-music
>a form of music consisting of sounds produced by oscillating electric currents either controlled from an instrument panel or keyboard or prerecorded on magnetic tape

http://www.merriam-webster.com/concise/electronic%20music
>Any music involving electronic processing (e.g., recording and editing on tape) and whose reproduction involves the use of loudspeakers.
>>
>>51614519
By limiting yourself I ment:
> You can categorize any way you want (not true by the way)
Yes, you can categorize any way you want. No one is stopping you :)! You can in fact categorize music by BPM, the key of the song/track, by what kind of instrument it's played with, by genres, by mood by year by artist or by any way you find possible.

>>51614528
Opinions are opinions and facts are facts.
>>
>>51614658
Facts are facts until proven otherwise.

Care to prove my statement wrong instead of spouting "opinion! opinion!" like an illiterate retard?
>>
>>51614658
Oh, thats fine then, I thought you meant you could categorize 'electronic music' as any other definition than >>51614612
>>
File: Picture-166.jpg (52 KB, 550x366) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Picture-166.jpg
52 KB, 550x366
>>51614612
I admit I was wrong, "Electronic music" is defined that way! :)

Here's some more cookies
>>
>>51614670
>My "opinion" is objectively correct until proven otherwise
Opinions can't be proven otherwise because they are opinions. And facts aren't facts until they are proven.
>>
>>51614732
For the sake of discussion, that is how discussion works. My "opinion" is correct until proven otherwise in an engaging discussion.

"that is your opinion" is not a special broomstick you use to escape arguments without losing them, anon. :)
>>
>>51614761
No one's escaping anything :D at least not right now. But opinions CAN'T be proven otherwise. If they can be THEY AREN'T an opinion. I like turtles, prove me wrong ;)! I personally don't you "where ever, when ever" cards like religion.

Facts that one presents thought can obviously be proven wrong in the engaging discussion.
>>
>>51614812
To add: by evading discussion via not saying anything but the most obvious (this is subjective, that is your opinion), you are only proving your anti-intellectual nature: that you have nothing to say and as such are an needless burden on the whole community. :)

Keep up guy.
>>
>>51614812
opinions* don't use*
>>
>>51614812
>I like turtles, prove me wrong
That's not how a statement like that works anon.
>>
>>51614824
I didn't mean it like that, even if you interpret it that way :D. I just wanted to determine the difference between opinion and fact. You aren't saying I'm a burden to the community just to call names are you :D? Because that's a special broomstick tactic too.
>>
>>51614865
You figured it out! That's how opinions work.
>>
>>51614812
>But opinions CAN'T be proven otherwise
That's right, because the word you should be using is Argument. An argument is an opinion made with facts. The conclusion you draw with those facts will be considered true until proven otherwise.
>>
>>51614960
Now that is true :)
>>
>>51614882
>>51614908
You are once again missing the point here. There is a difference between making a claim, and stating a basic opinion. Making a claim and stating an opinion both requires knowledge of context for discussion to be formed, as only the most stupid and anti-intellectual would evade it it with a snary remark by the likes of "nuh-huh, subjective :)".

You like turtles, good for you. What do you like about them? How can your likening of turtles be correct or wrong?

Likewise, but not quite, rock jazz classical and electronic music sub-genres are less meaningful than the main genres themselves. Why do I think so? Will you bother questioning context, or are you going to equate my claim to liking/disliking turtles and evade it on the basis that "that is your opinion :)"?

Keep up guy.
>>
>>51614960
>>51614908
>>51614882
>>51614865
>An opinion may be supported by facts, in which case it becomes an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts.
Just leaving this here.
>>
>>51611545
It is, if youre a faggot
>>
>>51614960
>>51614992
>arguments are supported by facts
Not necessarily.
>>
>>51615043
If it's not, then it's not an argument.
>>
>>51615056
It is an argument. Whether it is a good or a bad one depends on context.
>>
>>51615077
No. The requisite for something to be an argument is that it needs to be supported by a fact. As simple as that.
>>
>>51615095
An argument requires the exchange of diverging or opposite views for it to be an argument, where "views" can be supported, and be stemming from, basically anything.
>>
>>51615135
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument
>In logic and philosophy, an argument is an attempt to persuade someone of something, by giving reasons for accepting a particular conclusion as evident.
>by giving reasons
That's it.
>>
>>51614990
Such a remark could be made because of many different reasons, and I made it because I interpreted your words wrong by thinking you meant opinions as in just that, when you actually meant agrument (like this guy understood right here >>51614992 ), just like you interpreted me wrong when thinking I countered with just a nuh-nuh.

I assume you understood I said liking turtles just as a point, and if you didn't: no I won't evade your claim by that, so tell me why do you think they are less meaningful? Which is different, than meaningless, what you said before.
>>
>>51615192
Exactly.

>>51615196
>Such a remark could be made because of many different reasons, and I made it because I interpreted your words wrong by thinking you meant opinions as in just that, when you actually meant agrument (like this guy understood right here >>51614992 ), just like you interpreted me wrong when thinking I countered with just a nuh-nuh.
Quite much.

>so tell me why do you think they are less meaningful? Which is different, than meaningless, what you said before.
Most genres and subgenres tend to be derivative of each other, some more or less than others, but still sharing a certain influence high enough to be called (a style of) music. On a universal scale, music subgenres are less meaningful than the main genres themselves, on a multiversal scale, they are meaningless. Go even higher and you reach a point where music itself becomes meaningless to art as a whole.
>>
>>51615322
Yea most sub genres tend to be derivative of each other, but I don't get the rest. Sub genres are less meaningful or completely meaningless because they are just the same thing? Is that it? And why does music become a meaningless as an art form?
>>
>>51615399
Because higher beings.
>>
>>51615322
By that logic, why do we even care about atoms? Or mayeb I'm not getting your point.
>>
>>51615430
That made so much sense.
>>
>>51615447
I didn't get it. And I still think that isn't a fact, just an opinion as what is meaningful and what isn't.
>>
>>51615463
>on a multiversal scale, they are meaningless
Atoms are meaningless on a multiversal scale then?
>>
>>51611574
>omitting electroacoustic
>>
>>51615485
I didn't make that claim. But the answer to your question is probably not.
>>
>>51615506
Atoms are as meaningful as sub-genres.
>>
>>51615447
I think that focusing on a single sub-genre or genre is just as silly as focusing on a single atom or molecule construction.
>>
>>51615485
On a multiversal scale we are the atoms.
>>
>>51615539
Except that sub-genres are made of a lot of albums who share similar characteristics.
>>
>>51615569
You high as fuck m8
>>
>>51615570
The style, the intention, the basics remain all the same. Obviously upon closer inspection a high being will start noticing the tiny differences contained within, but from a casual high being perspective humanity and it's arts are just atoms.
>>
>>51615645
Except that some of those subgenres are almost as diverse as the genres themselves. For example, Swing and Free Jazz, Stockhausen with Bach, Rock & Roll with Post-Rock, etc
>>
This conversation went just all over the place.
>>
>>51615693
It's all popular music, traditional music, and art music, it's all just music, a subset of art, a subset of human creation and an overall subset of human consciousness.
>>
>>51615723
Except that those three genres are very vague and almost useless to group music based on the actual similarities of the music itself.
>>
>>51615747
The void of space and existence is bigger, higher and vaguer than anything humanity has ever put out in all of it's existence.
>>
>>51615781
Yeah, but we are not talking about how large the universe is, we are talking about music.
>>
>>51615723
Yup it's all music. Just because something is categorized in to a sub genre it doesn't make it any less meaningful. Categorization doesn't have any part in what meaningful and what's not.

Peace and I'm out!
>>
>>51615811
And what I am saying is that on a universal and a multiversal scale, music subgenres and music genres are meaningless to almost useless, and as we go further human art and humanity itself becomes just as small and hardly relevant.

Obviously I'm not a high being so I don't seriously believe what I am saying right now, I'm only pointing out obvious facts as they stand.
>>
>>51615815
I doubt eldritch abominations would care about rock, let alone post-rock.
>>
>>51615908
It doesn't matter how much you compare it to a bigger being, sub-genres exist and are still relevant if we are talking about music.
What are you trying to achieve with this anyways? I don't get you.

>>51615925
They don't, but WE do, especially if you are on a MUSIC forum.
>>
>>51615960
But is metal a subgenre of rock, or is it a sub, subgenre of blues?

Is drum & bass a subgenre of breaks or a sub, subgenre of electronic?

Is funk a subgenre of r&b or a sub, subgenre of race music?
>>
>>51615960
They exist, obviously, because they are on the same scale as we are, and it is us who make them be. For higher beings they (and we) will hardly matter or be relevant though, and that is exactly what I have been saying this entire time, albeit vaguely, for which I apologize.

>What are you trying to achieve with this anyways? I don't get you.
idk I'm bored
>>
File: 420.jpg (2 KB, 300x57) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
420.jpg
2 KB, 300x57
>this thread
>>
>>51611574
If this were true acoustic would be winning.
>>
>>51616131
all music is acoustic per being audio
majority of music is electronic due to being stored on electronics
>>
>>51616016
As I see it, Genres and Sub-Genres should always be about the evolution of music instead of sharing similar characteristics. For example, Metal right now is so diverse that there's no way to define it as a whole, so we have to use sub-genres to group each one of those tiny little evolution steps. The same goes for Rock, Jazz, and Classical.

>But is metal a subgenre of rock, or is it a sub, subgenre of blues?
Both
>Is drum & bass a subgenre of breaks or a sub, subgenre of electronic?
Both
>Is funk a subgenre of r&b or a sub, subgenre of race music?
Race music is't very convincing, but agree with the first part.

Again, music always evolves from a previously existing genre. Everything that comes up from that genre is considered a sub-genre of the original. As time goes on, a genre can be so diverse that there is no way of defining the genre and it's subgenres as a whole, but we still use it because it shares the same evolutionary path.

>>51616024
Yeah, that's okay, but I fail to see why that should matter. With that logic we could say that everything is irrelevant and you would be right, but the thing is, this is about things being relatively relevant about what we are talking about.

>>51616071
Agree
>>
>>51616166
>everything is irrelevant
It is.
>>
>>51616184
Wait, are you agreeing or disagreeing?
I'm more relevant than you anyways.
>>
>>51616210
idk
>>
>>51616166
The same can be said for techno, house, breaks... yet stilll people still say electronic
>>
>>51616253
When I say Electronic, I usually refer to all the music that evolved from House/Techno. Common sense should be enough to see if someone is talking about actual electronic music or just the Techno/House sub-genre.
>>
>>51616291
>When I say Electronic, I usually refer to all the music that evolved from House/Techno
but thats wrong, electronic music refers to all and any music made with electronic instruments
>>51614612
>>
>>51616291
The music that came from house/techno is electronic dance music (or dance music) and electronica. Much like how most modern rock like shoegaze isn't about rock and rolling anymore, lots of modern dance music styles aren't about dancing anymore either.

Just don't call that music EDM, because EDM is exclusively use for mainstream cookie-cutter genres like big room house and electro house now.
>>
>>51616348
>use
*used
>>
>>51616291
Common sense states if someone is talking House/Techno they would say House/Techno
>>
>>51616327
Use common sense. We all know what electronic music is, but there's no better way of classifying Techno/House and Co. as far as I know (maybe EDM).

>>51616348
I understand, but still, I'm going to use electronic because people should be able to use their common sense and understand the context in which it's said.

>>51616376
Except that we are trying to talk about Techno/House and everything was was born from them.
>>
>>51616396
>/mu/
>common sense
Tough luck tbh.
>>
>>51616425
It's you the one who should use common sense.
>>
>>51616440
Ladies first :)
>>
>>51616396
>Use common sense. We all know what electronic music is
Yes>>51614612

Stockhausen, Skrillex, ASAP Rocky...
>>
>>51616210
Both.
>>
>>51616396
>Except that we are trying to talk about Techno/House and everything was was born from them.

And? So you'd say Techno/House stuff like that
>>
>>51616474
A$AP Rocky is more renowned for his rapping skills than electronic production skills.
>>
>>51616474
>OP posts a pic about Techno/House/Breaks and it's subgenres
>"I'm pretty sure he's talking about Stockhausen"
Use. Common. Sense.
It's obvious about what kind of electronic music he's talking about.

>>51616469
heh

>>51616505
But nobody does, because it's a lot easier to just say electronic. Use common sense.
>>
>>51616513
Who cares? Its still electronic music, most of the OP image genres have singing. Take disco or, vocal trance.

>>51616542
No, common sense does not give me telepathic skills, saying the correct words tells me what you are talking about.
>>
>>51616542
>nobody does

Not on here, because its full of stupid Americans
>>
>>51616580
>Who cares?
People who value and know music.
>>
>>51616607
Changes nothing, still electronic music
>>
>>51616617
Renowned for rap music, but technically electronic music, yet not "electronic music", where "electronic music" = electronica and dance music.
>>
>>51616580
>No, common sense does not give me telepathic skills, saying the correct words tells me what you are talking about.
So, if someone makes a post about how electronic music is the best genre while attaching a pic of Techno/House subgenres, you really need telepathy to know that he's talking about Techno/House subgenres instead of electronic music as a whole? No offense, but that's literal autism.

>>51616600
Because it's common sense.
>>
>>51616542
>common sense

If Hampus said it, common sense would dictate he means Onkyo

If Ame said it, common sense would dictate he means 'art' electronics

If Turny said it, common sense would dictate he means breaks

If anon said it, common sense would dictate they mean ANYTHING in the OP
>>
>>51616684
>Hampus
>Ame
>Turny
Who?
>>
>>51616657
electronic music means
>>51614612

If someone said electronica, that includes hip hop

If someone said EDM, that is an umbrella for electro house, big room house, brostep etc
>>
>>51616684
Exactly.
>>
>>51616667
Its not common sense, I don't know you, I don't know what you mean, when I hear someone say electronic music common sense to me is Cage, Stockhausen etc
>>
>>51616709
Electronic music also primary means electronica and dance music, as per common sense.
>>
>>51616724
No it doesn't.

see >>51614612
>>
>>51616721
What, I just contradicted everything you said.
>>
>>51616744
>No it doesn't.
It does. Not my fault you're a shut-in autist who never exists his basement to know what's common sense among people.
>>
>>51616724
Which hip hop falls under both.

>>51616764
>name calling when you're wrong
sad
>>
File: 1416226915753.png (287 KB, 648x540) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416226915753.png
287 KB, 648x540
>>51616697
Turny's go-to people for arguments like these. He forgot to mention Witchfinder though.
>>
>>51616804
Why would Turny argue for electronic music as a genre, idiot
>>
>>51616722
Literally look at OPs pic. Do you really think he means Stockhausen?

>>51616759
No, because you are using common sense based on who said what. When people say Electronic music they usually mean Techno/House & Co. unless they state otherwise.

>>51616764
This.

>>51616791
He's not (compltely) wrong, but you are literally unable to use common sense. That's literal autism.
>>
this thread was funner back when it was about music in the eyes of eldritch abominations
>>
>>51616841
true
>>
>>51616804
I am not saying electronic is not a genre, I am saying it is.

>>51616832
Yes, why not? Why should everyone always be talking about electronica or dance music? We aren't all into house/techno.
>>
>>51616841
Agree haha

>>51616872
Because everybody understands that when we talk about Electronic music. Even then, most of the time they will specify if they are talking about Art, or Techno, or whatever, by using pics, mentioning artist names, or stuff like that.
>>
>>51616907
Whatever you say to your friends is irrelevant to the fact that every genre and subgenre in the OP image are electronic music.
>>
>>51616804
damn thats some serious butthurt
>>
>>51616983
Yeah, I agree with that. What's your point?
>>
>>51617013
That was my point, all those in the image are subgenres of electronic music, you kept banging on about what you talk to your friends about.
>>
>>51617041
>That was my point, all those in the image are subgenres of electronic music
I agree with that.
The thing is that there's no need to talk about Stockhausen and Co. if the OP provided a pic about Techno/house and their subgenres.
>you kept banging on about what you talk to your friends about.
And I keep saying you to use common sense. I mean, you are on a popular music forum full of teenagers. What's more likely they are talking about when they say "electronic"?
>>
>>51611441

>Implying there is an objectivity in the taste of arts
Disgusting
>>
>>51617108
>The thing is that there's no need to talk about Stockhausen and Co. if the OP provided a pic about Techno/house and their subgenres.
The OP image includes industrial and 'avant-garde', as does every link earlier for what is electronic music.

>>51617108
>What's more likely they are talking about when they say "electronic"?
see
>>51616684
and don't forget about the noise or ambient fans. Don't assume all on /mu/ like dance/hip hop music.
>>
>>51611441
>Electronic
>HipHop
>East Coat HipHop

Wow this chart is fucking retarded, which group of autists made this
>>
>>51617169
Noise and ambient fans are a vocal minority.
>>
>>51617217
They still exist though
>>
>>51617214
see
>>51616804

For Turny electronic music is either not a genre or a genre that covers everything from Stockhausen to all forms of hip-hop.
>>
>>51617169
Avant-Garde? Where?
The chart isn't perfect, but you still can get the idea of what OP is talking about.

>see >>51616684
Use common sense. An anon started this thread, not Hampus, nor Ame, nor Turny

>and don't forget about the noise or ambient fans.
Except that they will refer to their music as Ambient or Noise, and not electronic.
>>
>>51617238
Take your beef with Turny to last.fm already and fuck off out this thread, he isn't everyone who disagrees with you

>>51617244
>Avant-Garde? Where?
At the bottom

>Except that they will refer to their music as Ambient or Noise, and not electronic.
So? Still electronic music.
>>
>>51617238
Thank you sir. I hope no one falls for this degeneracy. That chart was like 85% accurate
>>
>>51617278
Stop shitting /mu/ up, Turny.
>>
>>51617296
see
>>51614612
hip hop is electronic music

>>51617305
epik
>>
>>51617278
>So? Still electronic music.
Yes, and that's why I'm telling you to use common sense. They won't refer to it as electronic music, they will call it Noise or Ambient instead, even if it is.
When people talk about Electronic music, they mean everything that evolved from House/Techno most of the time. If they don't mean that, they will be more specific.
>At the bottom
Still not seeing it.
>>
File: bugsisnotpleased.jpg (592 KB, 438x397) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
bugsisnotpleased.jpg
592 KB, 438x397
>>51617338
Virtually all music can be created with electronic instruments.

So in your definition Everything is Electronic Dance Music?

I hope no one falls for this bait
>>
>>51617410
see
>>51616657
>>
>>51617378
>common sense
see
>>51616684

Also, you're blind. Common sense for 'electronic music' is electronic music, common sense for techno or house is to say techno or house, like ambient or noise.

>>51617378
I never said 'dance'.
>>
>>51617455
see
>>51614612
>>
>>51617482
see
>>51616764
>>
>>51617510
>name calling when you lose an argument

just give up
>>
>>51617503
see
https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=705&q=electronic+music
>>
>>51617533
see
>>51614612
>>
>>51617549
already saw that
>>
>>51617533
see
https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=705&q=electronic+music#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=PI8zpniWQq80EM%253A%3B1Ry1EUXxAK8kUM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252F7%252F76%252FJosef_Tal_at_the_Electronic_Music_Studio.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FElectronic_music%3B2048%3B1536

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=705&q=electronic+music#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=kFFh2ANwJA7X9M%253A%3BB5NF0_TMgrs1NM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.powdermynoise.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F02%252FElectronicMusicStudioStudent_ca1960s21.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.powdermynoise.com%252Fmusic-tag%252Felectronica%252F%3B1018%3B785
>>
>>51617522
Sorry for hurting your feelings, Turny.
>>
>>51617563
Problem solved then, its ALL electronic music.
>>
>>51617588
>calling me Turny

I'm actually kinda flattered
>>
>>51617598
It is, and is also "electronic music", where "electronic music" = electronica and dance music.
>>
Is this the logical conclusion to electronic music?
>>
>>51617646
That's not "electronic music".
>>
>>51617698
Yes it is.
>>51614612

The shitty subgenre of rap is as much electronic music as brostep and electro-house, only worse.
>>
Electronic Music (as meant by the majority of /mu/ and people in general): Music that evolved from House and Techno.
Actual Electronic Music: See >>51614612

Since Electronic Music is very vague and has as much value as Vocal or Acoustic Music, it's preferred that you use the first definition. If you want to talk about Electronic Music that doesn't fit that definition, please state so in your post to avoid conflicts.
>>
>>51617711
Rap is a vocal style, hip-hop is a genre of electronic music. Rap-based hip-hop isn't really "electronic music".
>>
>>51617764
Rap is a subgenre of the hip hop umbrella, a subgenre of electronic. Rapping is a vocal style.

All rap is electronic music as much as any other electronic music with vocals, which there is plenty. The vocals don't change how the underlying music is made.
>>
>>51617759
Get there eventually...
>>
>>51617837
Rap existed long before the advent of hip-hop music, plus is being used in genres other than hip-hop music to this day.
>>
Talking about Electronic Music is like talking about Flying Animals. Of course you can, but in this case, it just happens that, when people say Flying Animals, they actually mean Birds.

>>51617856
Huh?
>>
>>51617865
*Rapping existed long before the advent of hip-hop music, plus is being used in genres other than hip-hop music to this day.

FTFY
>>
>>51612259
underrated post
>>
>>51611441
Where is trap in that chart?
>>
>>51617902
Yeah, rap.
>>
>>51617865

>2014 not knowing the difference between rap and hip hop

There's no such thing as hip hop music. It's all Rap. Rap falls under the Hip Hop culture which consists of graffiti, break dancing, dj'ing, etc..
>>
>>51611441
>comparing genres' quality
you're aged between 16-22.
>>
>>51617943
Hip-hop devoid of rapping exists you know.
>>
>>51617888
Hi
Post a picture of your face
>>
>>51617943
>all hip hop has rapping

kek
>>
THIS IS TRAP MOFOS, MOVE THE FUCK OUT FOR THE BEST SUBGENRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwk0zi217tI
>>
>>51617965

Then it's dj'ing.
>>
>>51617989

I never said that dummy.
>>
File: amg.jpg (39 KB, 388x648) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
amg.jpg
39 KB, 388x648
>>51617980
>>
>>51612777

> literally has never heard of jazz fusion
> literally has no idea what an electric guitar is
> literally has no idea what's happened to folk in the past 40 years
> has no idea that groundbreaking classical music has used tapes and electric drones for over 60 years

lole
>>
>>51618040
if i were turned on by androgyny i would be really turned on by this pic
>>
>>51618032
then why would you call it rap ?
Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 11
Thread DB ID: 22476



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.