[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My vote goes to black metal or dungeon synth.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 4

File: Dothisitt.png (14KB, 1038x540px) Image search: [Google]
Dothisitt.png
14KB, 1038x540px
My vote goes to black metal or dungeon synth.
>>
definitely dungeon synth
>>
Video game music, depending on what it is, and what's been mentioned already.
>>
Yeah dungeon synth /thread
>>51609845
thats neckbeard music
>>
>>51609845
>>51609802

These ones.
>>
I was gonna say geek rock, but then I realized that geek rock Isn't geeky to listen to... it's actually cool.

So yeah, videogame music, nintendocore, power metal/fantasy metal, anime music, bit music, lolicore, brony music, neo-prog
>>
>>51609845
>Video game music

not all video game music is geeky. would you call someone who likes the Halo theme song or the Skyrim OST a geek?
>>
But black metal is just so blindingly overt. I mean, at least dungeon synth is kind of subtle, where as black metal bands literally name themselves after shit from WoW and Magic the Gathering.
>>
>>51609899
Yes
>>
chiptune is the correct answer
>>
>>51609787
Probably Ambient Chip Pop
>>
I'll take most popular prog-ish groups for my money. Rush and Tool are an engineer's wet dream
>>
Ocean Noise Jazz fans are total nerds
>>
>>51609935
No.

Chiptune (or power metal, as it was mentiond earlier) is like the guy who plays Skyrim as part of a balanced life, and gets laid all the time. Black metal or dungeon synth is like the guy who knows Daggerfall like the back of his hand and lives in his own neckbeard.
>>
Ugh I hate Acid Goth Rap
>>
'dungeon synth' obv. the entire basis of that genre term being coined is that people listened to certain albums while playing CRPGs. one of the albums considered essential/canon dungeon synth is the official D&D soundtrack for fucks sake.

black metal used to be a lot nerdier. it has a bit of hip cachet these days, going back to forgot-their-name (p4k-acclaimd black metal band with Deep Philosophical Ideas who held wine drinking events in brooklyn to discuss black metal ideology or w/e). it's because the sketchy politics that the bm scene has always been associated with lend it an air of edgy transgression and room for that sort of posturing.

but yeah no question about it, dungeon synth is as nerdy as it gets
>>
>>51609994
I know plenty of bm fans who are chill relatively normal people. It's shit like Rush, Zeppelin, Tool, various buttrock groups, those are what attract the übermensch of nerds
>>
Steampunk
>>
>>51609994
>>51609899
You're too far gone. That's incredibly geeky. You're actually rationalizing by defending the possibility that someone could lead a balanced life with those things, even claiming that someone could listen to that stuff and "get laid all the time". But please, continue, because this is funny.
>>
>>51609899
Listening to Skyrim music, I'm such a geek!!!
>>
>>51610044
I'm not talking about p4k hipster bm.
>>
what ever PC Music is
>>
>>51610045
> Led Zeppelin geekier than black metal
Really? Is that your final answer?
>>
>>51610070
I don't follow your argument. Care to rephrase it in a more coherent manner?
>>
>>51610077
If you do it habitually then yes, I'm sure you are.
>>
>>51610111
are you a naked man? a doll apart? and that's why we can't have tomato sauce at the gas station.

so don't blame me if we live in another nanny state. i won't sell t-shirts
>>
>>51609899
My friend went to college with someone who only listened to video game music. Not chiptunes. Not the Skyrim OST. The fucking Gameboy version of theme songs he liked. Even when superior versions existed of the songs. I refused this person could even exist. Then I saw his picture. To add to the image, he had his walkman on, over his ears, in the middle of a party.

Dungeon synth sounds pretty fucking geeky, but this unnamed motherfucker has my vote if we're electing representatives.
>>
>>51610116
it's literally just simple orchestrated music. there is nothing inherently geeky about it even though it's video game related, and even then, it's fucking skyrim.
>>
>>51610111
What you're saying is ridiculous. You're so pained by the thought that listening to video game music is geeky that you're defending the possibility that it could be part of a healthy lifestyle, and that the people who do it could get "laid all the time".
It's possible they could, but the fact that they prefer videogame music indicates some level of absorption into video games and video game culture, which is geeky.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/3046578

Let's settle this.
>>
>>51609787
In my experience, Jazz, ppl are suck dicks about me liking jazz and not Beartooth fml
>>
electro swing
>>
>>51609787
>geekiest genre
>black metal
what
>>
>>51610190
>What you're saying is ridiculous. You're so pained by the thought that listening to video game music is geeky that you're defending the possibility that it could be part of a healthy lifestyle, and that the people who do it could get "laid all the time".
I fucking hate videogame music. I was jst making the case that black metal is more neckbearded. This has nothing to do with defending myself, I certainly agree that listening to videogame OSTs makes one a bit of a nerd, but I just think it's more true for black metal and dungeon synth.

There are plenty of 'gamer bros' that listen to vidya music. Those numbers are a lot lower for people who listen to dungeon synth and black metal. It's almowst all devoted, greasy, completely untrendy basement congregations.
>>
>>51610185
Skyrim's pretty fucking geeky. If you like orchestral music, why wouldn't you seek orchestral music not associated with a video game? Because you're really into that video game, that's why (or at least that will be the assumption of anyone who knows what you're listening to). And that's geeky.
>>
>>51610221
Varg is literally writing a tabletop RPG...
>>
>>51610216
this holy shit
>>
As far as being "wonks" about their genre-jazz for sure. But geekiest is definitely OSTs as I know people who only listen to Videogame OSTs...
>>
>>51610244
Yes, agreed, just not as much as black metal.

As I said, videogame osts and power metal are very much like skyrim. That is' they are kind of geeky, but on the whole, generally pretty entry level geekdom, 'casual' if you will. bm and dungeon synth on the other hand are like daggerfall. Something for the pissed off veteran neckbeards who keep their virginity with pride.
>>
Black metal is mainstream poser shit, and dungeonsynth is only enjoyed ironically by blackmetalfags. Neither is worthy of being described "geeky".
>>
>>51610289
>Black metal is mainstream poser shit, and dungeonsynth is only enjoyed ironically by blackmetalfags. Neither is worthy of being described "geeky
Implying it is a positive descriptor.
>>
>>51610081
doesn't matter. tr00 kvlt black metal has that hip cachet now too -- ESPECIALLY that stuff, acutally. 'hipsters' know what les légions noires is and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. those formerly ultra-obscure releases are going for gazillions on the collector market when back in the day the real basement infidels didnt give a shit about first edition vinyl, they were happy with cd reissues.

sub-underground metal is like the last frontier for the kind of people who are also making shitty detroit techno influenced noise/p.e. because internet
>>
>>51610299
It is, you image-conscious preppy.
>>
>>51610263
is OST a genre?
does that mean the music present in Call of Duty, Professor Layton and Kirby Super Star is all the same genre of music?
snap damn son, I need to brush up on my genres
>>
>>51609787
All forms of Metal
>>
>>51610352
You know what I mean. There are "those people" who only listen to videogame OSTs
>>
>>51610364
This. Except for pantera-style groove metal. That's dumbass meathead metal.
>>
>>51610395
Doom metal has been subverted by anti-geek hipsters as well.
>>
>mfw videogame osts is winning
Ah well, I guess the truth isn't democratic.
>>
Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, the most famous noise rock band ever and basically the Beatles for hipsters, wants to do a black metal project. So pretty soon hipsters will have completely taken the genre of black metal.

As it stands none of the geeks I grew up with listen to black metal. The only person who does is a punk rock guy with spiky hair and a studded jacket who makes money by making crust punk clothes with his girlfriend for bands like Discharge.
>>
>>51610524
>Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, the most famous noise rock band ever and basically the Beatles for hipsters, wants to do a black metal project. So pretty soon hipsters will have completely taken the genre of black metal.
He has since quit that band and said "Black metal is music for geeks and pussies of the lowest order."
>>
No one so far has addressed the fact that there are literally black metal bands named after magic the gathering cards.
>>
Geeky? Probably old dance music nerds or minimal synth weirdos. Actual neck beards? Dream theater or video game dudes definitely
>>
>>51610524
you're missing the subtext of that quote.
thurston moore unironically and seriously loves black metal. he collects that shit and has likely spent a lot of money in the process. this is well-documented.

he enjoys that it's made by "pussies of the lowest order." the basement alienator aspect. it's part of the charm when you're looking at it from the outsider's perspective of a serious and total record freak like t. moore.
>>
>>51610679
oops meant to reply to >>51610540
>>
whatever your favorite music is
>>
>>51610636
> minimal synth weirdos
What ever happened to Lazare?
>>
>>51609787
Nerdcore
>>
>>51610524
Remind me of why people worship that cuntfuck ?
>>
>>51609787
mid-2000s "quirk-rock" like the decemberists and beirut
>>
Dungeon Synth. Grognards are geekier than video game players.
>>
Lindsey Stirling, the list could go on...
>>
I don't get the hate for video game osts.
It's like you can't lead a normal life after listening to one.

It's almost like enjoying vidya osts is on the same level as being a shameless brony.
>>
Poets of the Fall
>>
>>51609992
You mean stuff like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiClpSShxlE
>>
>>51610077
tehe look how different i am!
>>
those metal songs based off of lord of the rings
>>
>>51609787
Progressive rock
>>
Never mind video game OSTs, what about Anime OSTs?
>>
If I like the Silent Hill and Katamari Demacy OST's, does that mean I'm a nerd?
>>
File: 1416622647887.png (156KB, 941x600px) Image search: [Google]
1416622647887.png
156KB, 941x600px
>>51610253
Gonna need a sauce on that chef
>>
>>51612730
You honestly haven't heard about it? http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/05/14/varg-vikernes-is-making-a-table-top-rpg/
>>51610253
I plan on trying it out. I was talking to an anon in an a2b2 irc chatroom during one of those jenny death shitstorms about running one over skype. Flan, or Ambrose from Canada, if you're reading this, It's Matibi and I'm still interested in GM'ing once it comes out.
>>
>>51612697
Nah it's like liking Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. Normie-approved.
>>
>>51612730
Here's the official website of the game:
http://myfarog.org/

And here it is in metalsucks:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/05/14/varg-vikernes-is-making-a-table-top-rpg/
>>
>>51609787
chiptunes
>>
>>51612772
>>51612795
My god, pure autism
>>
>>51612917
why?
>>
>>51612772
>I plan on trying it out
More proof that black metal fans are massive grognards. 9Not that there's anything wrong with that)
>>
>>51612955
I hardly ever listen to BM. I just also enjoy tabletop rpg's.
>>
>>51609787
Obviously all mainstream EDM and brostep.

About a good 98% of youtubers who do absolutely nothing but post Call of Duty and Minecraft comp videos all day and make the stupidest youtube comments on earth drool over that shit like hotcakes.
>>
No one mentioned Nightcore ???
C'mon /moo/
>>
>>51611716
Kinda except there's someone just making feedback sounds and its more experimental
>>
true geeks don't have time for music, and in my experience, those that do have time for music listen to shit like pop punk

dungeon synth is for people who want to appear geeky and contains the geekiest musicians. it's for people who want to pretend to be nerds, seeing as nerdiness/geekiness is cool now
>>
>>51612995
>Call of Duty and Minecraft comp videos all day
>Implying that's true nerddom

As was earlier mentioned, geeks don't play that sort of casual game. Geeks are properly obsessed to the point of complete social ostracision. Geeks know Daggerfall and Morrowind like the back of their hand. (Although even they are pretty casual when compared to 'true' geek stuff)
>>
>>51612995
Calling call of duty players geeky is retarded, most of them are normal 17 year olds/fratboys

Also I'd say metal or math rock or similar
>>
geekest band rhapsody.........(of fire)
>>
what about nerdcore?
>>
>>51613022
>pop punk

what? geeks listens to electronic music, DnB and shit
>>
Power metal.

Name ANY genre more cheesy and geeky than this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yehh-j1B-v8
>>
>>51613073
never met one like that

I went to uni with a bunch of nerds (computer science) and the vast majority of them were metalfags, some techno here and there but it was always metal or indie rock for the more cool ones.

Though I dont know what OP means by geeky really
>>
Lots of black metal fans are geeky at their heart but turn into drugs and general misbehavior in their later teens. At least this is my experience, the kids who used to play Cyberpunk 2020 and D&D started to wear Burzum patches and do all kinds of petty crimes and self harm that you'd expect a young bm fan to do.

Overall geeks seem to love all kinds of music with a fantasy theme, be it power metal, video game soundtracks or whatever.
>>
>>51613091
eh, it's self aware enough i guess
power metal honestly strikes me as kind of an alpha genre, in terms of its (underlying (not the dragons)) themes of heroism, self-empowerment n shit, look at Lost Horizon, although some of its fans prove otherwise, and on a surface level its still about dragons
>>
What about prog metal, jazz metal or avantgarde metal? It may not be as fantasy oriented as black or power meal, but nothing's geekier than geek music that tries to take itself seriously and falling straight down on it's fucking face.

If I heard anybody listening to this they're probably the geekiest people I'd meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9sqUj1ZKY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbEi1JRa7w
>>
>>51613152
Except for the commercial teencore bands,(Strato, dragonforce.etc) power metal really isn't that much about 'self empowerment.' It's more just about fun fantasy shit. Running Wild always just wrote awesome tracks about pirates, and Blind Guardian's album Nighfall in Middle Earth is just about Lord of the Rings. Power metal really is one of the most sincere fun oriented genres out there... (Except for the aforementioned teencore bands)
>>
File: Twilight Force.jpg (98KB, 1024x583px) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Force.jpg
98KB, 1024x583px
>>51613208
>>51613152
>>51613091

>that feel when they're not fat neckbeards
>>
>>51613162
nah idk, Sigh is just fun
seriously though, anyone deeply into more left field non-mainstream music is probably one of the geekiest people you'd ever meet, lets not kid ourselves
so maybe Onkyo?
>>
>>51613227
>That feel when they're in larp uniforms.

But as I mentioned earlier, bm is way more geeky than power metal. I mean, power metal is like a pretty boy elf, and black metal is like a foul troll.
>>
Well, do any normalfags listen to lolicore?
>>
twinkle emo?
how far do beta and geeky generally overlap?
>>
No one's mentioned Vaporwave?
>>
File: 1416624759881.png (6KB, 391x388px) Image search: [Google]
1416624759881.png
6KB, 391x388px
>>51609787
everything that's not top 40
get a life u fucking nerds :^)
>>
Since everybody says black metal and power metal are the nerdiest genres, what about blackened power metal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6THlWXLXX4
>>
>>51613286
so if i start listening to flo rida will i become alpha
>>
>>51613286
will smith is still hip right
>>
>>51613304
>HEY COCKSUCKER
>HEY MOTHERFUCKER

>WE WORSHIP SATAN
>WE'RE FUCKING EVIL

ayyy lmao
>>
>>51609787
VIDEO GAME MUSIC

I LISTEN ONLY TO IT, IT DEFINES MY AESTHETISCHEN CHARAKTER
>>
Anythnig related to weeaboos

j-rock visual kei whatever, because most people who listen to it listen to nothing else and have anime pictures
>>
>>51613421
>tfw listen to mostly japanese stoner metal and black metal and hate japanese culture
>>
>>51613421
Does Boris count?
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.