[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Synth/ Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: 1411737290778.jpg (102KB, 523x423px) Image search: [Google]
1411737290778.jpg
102KB, 523x423px
Stuck between getting a Korg MS-20 and a Minibrute. My budget is $600 and I'm looking to make ambient/sample heavy stuff and maybe noise, I also plan on making instrumental hip hop but I feel like my MIDI and VSTs work well for that.

/synth/ general
>>
File: novation_bass-station-ii_web.jpg (210KB, 1024x625px) Image search: [Google]
novation_bass-station-ii_web.jpg
210KB, 1024x625px
I'm not the Bass Station II nazi, but I recommend it. Way under-priced.
>>
Between the two I'd probably grab the MS20. I wouldn't go for an analog synth for ambient though.
>>
>I wouldn't go for an analog synth for ambient though.
this

You could get a Roland JD-990 off ebay for cheaper than either of those new
If you wanted to be even cheaper you could buy a Roland JV-1080 or a Roland XV-3080/5050
If you wanted to be even cheaper you could buy a Roland XV2020 or JV1010

You could get the Korg Legacy Wavestation VST for like 50 bucks
You could buy U-He's Diva or Bazille for like 200 bucks

You could get a Blofeld for about the same price

It would be cool to own a MS-20 though I admit
>>
File: korg_monotron.jpg (33KB, 600x357px) Image search: [Google]
korg_monotron.jpg
33KB, 600x357px
Between the two I'd pick the MS-20, OP; however, the memefeld would probably be a better fit for what you're trying to do.

I did a sound design session with the Korg Monotron in the 4th. Feel free to chop these up and use it in your productions, the filter packs a tremendous punch.

First session: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ty1d6qokt9734up/monotron%20session%2004-11-2014.wav?dl=0

Uploading the second one.
>>
File: korg-monotron-synthesizer.png (139KB, 607x308px) Image search: [Google]
korg-monotron-synthesizer.png
139KB, 607x308px
>>51277665
Second one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/idub6djsor6l6tb/monotron%20session%2004-11-2014%202.wav?dl=0
>>
File: frank-gehry.jpg (28KB, 300x214px) Image search: [Google]
frank-gehry.jpg
28KB, 300x214px
>>51277120
> I wouldn't go for an analog synth for ambient though
>>
File: frenchconnection.jpg (337KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
frenchconnection.jpg
337KB, 1600x1066px
>>51277579
>Blofeld
It's the shit for ambient, they're cheap as hell too.

I'm waiting on delivery of one of these. rip my wallet.
>>
>>51277721
Let me put it this way— Someone looking for advise on 4chan who wants to make "ambient/sample heavy stuff" is not going to be well served by an analog monosynth.
Sure, moogfart into an eventide and it's instant ambient but it's not especially interesting.
There's synths nearly purpose built for ambient, K5000, Wavestation, Blofeld, V-Synth.
>>
>>51277697
i want korg to make a box where it's like

>two ms-20 filters, either in parallel or series
>midi in which can control the cutoff of the filters with note-ons (and the resonance with CCs if you wanna get fancy)
>plus maybe an lfo

so i can use hardware synths that have no filter like a kawai k1 with this as a sorta-paraphonic filter
>>
>>51277786
>reasonably priced MIDI-controlled MS-20
Oh man, it'd be a dream come true. And I'm talking Alesis Andromeda A6-tier dream here.
>>
I wanna get into this but don't know where to start.

I keep blasting Jon Hopkins; 'Open Eye Signal' is my current jam
>>
>>51277822
I agree is there a starter guide to synths?

Where do Gameboys with LSDJ fit in?
>>
>>51277822
>I wanna get into this but don't know where to start.
You can start right now by downloading a DAW, or picking up a cheap/used synth. If you have any questions about models/pricing, don't hesistate: ask us or /r/synthesizers/ .

Then watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJkxGvhOS-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3m8sMkTE4

After 3 hours, you'll know all the synthesis basics for bleep making. It's fun as a hobby and a lot of fun as a career too.
>>
>>51277786
There's filterboxes with envelope followers out there that aren't too much. None as wild as the MS20 but... I use a filterfactory with my machinedrum to cut the high end a smear it a bit. Monomachine makes an awesome tempo sync'd filter box, although not analog obv.
You could fit a Korgasmatron and A-119 in a doepfer beauty case and have what you want save MIDI. Once the synthtech usb midi thinger comes out it would fit in the 4hp left and that'd be just what you want. Cost would be like $800 though.
>>
>>51277865
cheers buddy, yea downloaded Ableton Live 9 but it's more for live shizzle I believe, so I'm gonna get Logic running on a OSX VMware machine. I'm basically just copying Jon Hopkins - Soundforge is the way to go too.
>>
>>51277988
Nah, Ableton is fine as a DAW too. Basically any DAW will do, so if you find one that looks comfortable to you, learn it inside out (read manuals, watch tutorials, etc).
>>
>>51278099
>learn it inside out
>learn it inside out
>learn it inside out
>>51277988
Just pick one but actually buy it. Spending money will, literally, make you invested in learning the thing. The thing with audiowarez is most people try one thing, it doesn't immediately turn them into *whoever* and then they move to the next thing. Just pick anything, sit down and use it.
>>
>>51278099
So is Ableton good? My mate has a legal copy, I was going to plug away at figuring out my own pirated copy over the uni break.
>>
>>51278961
its the best of them
>>
morning nerds
Just got my tax return, should I get miku stomp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJmxp973SQ8
>>
>>51280211
Anyone alive?
>>
>>51280211
Gross
>>
Talk to me about the Nord Lead A1.

Worth?
>>
>>51280724
Hahaha, no. At least not for what they're asking for it.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.