[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dg/ Drum General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

Talk about drums, drummers, drumming.
Don't think I've seen a drum thread before so here we go.
>>
File: 246136[1].jpg (66KB, 387x400px) Image search: [Google]
246136[1].jpg
66KB, 387x400px
I'm looking for a pedal to replace my shitty no name one. DW 3000 or Mapex Falcon?
>>
>>51268789
dw pedals are squeaky as fuck
>>
File: marching rudiments.jpg (264KB, 1236x1600px) Image search: [Google]
marching rudiments.jpg
264KB, 1236x1600px
any drum corps guys in here? Listening to cadences is really intense for me. And I never really liked marching band
>>
Drums are not an instrument. Literally a metronome.

It's not considered an instrument if it can't make melodic frequency pitches, go away now drummer tools
>>
>>51269566
That was the lamest, most inaccurate thing I've ever read.
>>
are there any advantages to having an electronic drum set?

>>51269566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf42ecaufjQ
>>
>>51269591
Human metronome detected
>>
>>51269457
listening to cadences after you've smoked some of that green stuff is pretty cool. I can't stand marching band music though.
>>
>>51269673
I'm right there. I'm a wind player so marching band always sucked, but listening to the skill of drummers is astounding. It's gotten to the point where I can hear the difference between left and right hands in most drummers
>>
>>51269628
Was that supposed to be rude?
Like that's literally a compliment.
>>
>>51269566
this is so retarded. are you some kind of drone or harsh noise elitist or something? drums are like the most important instrument of all times ever you fucking clod
>>
>>51269566
>if it can't make melodic frequency pitches
m8 if you can't identify tom pitches you may just be tone deaf
>>
>>51269716
listen to some jazz guys if you really wanna be amazed. it's sounds cliche, but some jazz guys just blow my mind. *cough* elvin jones *cough*
>>
>>51269716
>It's gotten to the point where I can hear the difference between left and right hands in most drummers
Maybe I'm unclear on this statement but that usually means the drummer hasn't practiced enough lol
>>
>>51269769
I know about good jazz drummers, that's my genre of choice
>>
>>51269797
I know but most everyone else on /mu/ doesn't know the first thing about instruments, and they can't hear it
>>
>>51269619
I have an electric kit and while they don't feel as good, they are WAY quieter and have a wider variety of producible sounds.

>>51269566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k
>that fucking hi hat part
>>
>>51269814
are you a tony williams fan? I just can't understand what was so brilliant about him. He's a great drummer, but I don't see what made him stand out more than everyone else.
>>
>>51269881
I am. and his ideas do it for me. I also love the simplicity of his set. And he played with some of my favorites, rosenwinkel, holland, stuff like that
>>
>>51269619
>you get to jam at night
>multiple sound textures at easy access
>backing music and drums can be heard at an balanced volume that doesn't need to blast in your ears
that's pretty much it. there isn't really much good to say about most of them
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQKIjzbuKrM

such intense
>>
>>51269908
I'll have to listen to him some more. I play a four piece kit right now, so Tony's kit was far from simple to me.
>>
>>51270108
I might be autistic, I was explaining Why I liked Eric Harland. I like tony williams because he more or less helped invent fusion. He did a lot of stuff with Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis. and he was always changing time to great extent
>>
>>51269881
I don't either. I think it may just be because he was only college age when he was able to keep with the jazz greats.
>>
>>51270247
yeah the shit he played on Seven Steps to Heaven was pretty cool. I thought he sounded great with George Coleman, but apparently they didn't like each other.
>>
>>51269267
just use wd-40 on the joints
squeak doesn't ever matter unless you're recording
>>
>>51269797
No, there will always be a difference in the timbre of strokes played with the left or right due to different amount of strength between hands, slightly different grip, slightly different weights of sticks and where each stick tip is hitting on the skin.
>>
>>51269619
only get one if you really need one or you have the cash to buy a top of the line one
>>
>>51270466
you can't be telling me you're really hearing those miniscules differences! up close listening to a single surface being played is more believable but in a regular playing situation?
>>
File: BRDk5vtCcAA5ouz.jpg (68KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
BRDk5vtCcAA5ouz.jpg
68KB, 1024x768px
I had a dream Tatsuya was my dad.
>>
>>51270678
as a drummer I'm attuned to it
just try it out now on a desk or hard surface, tap your nails on it. can you hear that one is slightly higher pitched? maybe one has more high frequencies?
>>
Percussive music shouldn't be discussed, it is not music.
>>51269814
Why? It's awful an unmusical, it only appeals to awful musicians such as yourself.

It's even worse than the speed metal of the 80s.
>>
>>51270847
Yeah, up close simple stuff like I said. But not when you're playing with people or doing a solo. That would be insane.
>>
>>51270925
in a solo it's still quite apparent (assuming other instruments drop out or become quiet)
when playing with other people it's not something a drummer should be thinking about. My point was that there are always going to be tonal differences between hands but trying to match them perfectly is a pointless task unless you're a marching drummer
>>
I've never been a fast player and I've been trying to work on that recently. In order to improve accuracy I just came up with a practice concept to play certain rudiment type stuff at one tempo for one to two minutes straight. Every day I'll increase the tempo by 3 bpm until I'm at a good speed. Is that practical or effective or is there a better variation?
>>
>>51270096
The Top Gun of Drumming except it was awful
>>
If you clean your cymbals, do they sound better?
>>
>>51270923
If it isn't music then why did you call it music
>>
>>51271492
Because that is the common name for it.
>>
>>51271328
The absolute best exercise given to me by this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdpkdoSLMk) is

Say you want to increase your hand speed with 16th notes
Find out your maximum BPM (Where you can only play for maybe 10 seconds before failing). Say that's 180BPM.

Day 1: 5 Minutes at maximum-20, 3 minutes at maximum-10, as long as you can at maximum
So that's 5 minutes of 16th notes at 160BPM, 3 minutes at 170 and 180 for as long as you can

Day2: Do the same, but try to increase your maximum by 3-5BPM. If you can't do it yet, do the same as day 1

Do the same as day 2 until you have increased your maximum, and adjust your 5 minute and 3 minute exercises but the same amount
So now you're doing 5 minutes of 165, 3 of 175 and 185 until failure
>>
>>51271472
Cleaning cymbals that are already relatively clean won't make them sound better, but a clean cymbal will have more high frequencies and a longer decay than a cymbal that has developed a patina
This is why many jazz rides have patinas, as the drummer seeks to eliminate some of the wash and make it a drier sounding ride
>>
>>51271618
(same guy)
you can adjust this exercise to give you more speed or more stamina by adjusting the BPMs and the lengths of time. The exercise I described is a good in-between for stamina and speed because it takes you to your max BPM but also gives you warm up BPMs
For more speed, make the three BPMs closer to eachother and play them for shorter amounts of time
For more stamina, you don't have to play at your max BPM and can bump them all down, but play each BPM for longer periods of time
>>
>>51271755
oh and remember to stretch heaps. it only takes 2 minutes to get a really good stretch and it can prevent injuries that will undo all of your hard work
>>
Any good resources for drum composition? I'm not a drummer but I need to write drum parts to be automated for a diy project.
>>
>>51271800
What genre?
>>
Anyone here do any math drumming? I want to get into it and need somewhere to start
>>
File: 1398127003421.jpg (233KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
1398127003421.jpg
233KB, 900x750px
>>51271824
Black/Doom meal.
>>
>>51271857
What type of math drumming?
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuYaki
https://www.youtube.com/user/aaronedgardrum/videos
these two explain some difficult concepts quite well
>>
>>51271911
I was thinking some Zach Hill or Dave Stanier kind of stuff
Also working with polyrhythms and 11/8 grooves and stuff
>>
>>51271898
look up the drummers for your favourite black/doom metal bands and them type in "[drummers name] drum cam". Try to observe what they're playing
If you have no knowledge of musical theory this will be hard and you might want to hire some one to write parts for you
Just remember- drummers usually only ever hit up to 3 things at once. Maybe four if they're hitting the kick drum, hi-hat pedal and something with each hand but there usually isn't much hihat pedal work in metal
>>
>>51271666
Wow, I never realized that. So patina is caused by oxidation, right? If I oxidize my own clean cymbals will it get the same effect in sound?
>>
>>51271942
I don't think Zach has a very technical approach to his drumming, he just goes for it
You could try downloading guitar pro and writing parts in there, since it shows you when a bar is incomplete and when it is complete (Helpful for writing in odd meters)
For polyrhythms just look up lessons on them. Start off with 2/3, 3/4, then go to stuff like 5/4, 7/4 etc.
>>
>>51271995
Ummmmm I'm not an expert but yeah possibly. Roberto Spizzichino, one of the best cymbal smiths of all time dipped cymbals in a mixture to create a patina seen here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7CsQVwJds
>>
>>51271800
>drumming
>good composition
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.