[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prog/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 20

File: Essential Prog v2.jpg (647KB, 1242x1291px) Image search: [Google]
Essential Prog v2.jpg
647KB, 1242x1291px
Go to http://www.random.org/
Choose a number from 1 to 56
Listen to the corresponding album and tell us your opinion!

Feel free to post any album related to Prog. This includes Math Rock, Avant Prog, Experimental/Art Rock, and even Jazz, Folk and Metal!

Update for the Chart in short (now with Google Spreadsheet, so it's easier to make fast changes). Any changes I should make?
Oh, and feel free to ask for recs!
>>
Add Saucerful Of Secrets by Pink Floyd. Essential prog in my mind.
>>
why do you pretend to be a girl on the internet
>>
There's no prog metal on the chart I think, but it says all styles
>>
File: cover.jpg (70KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
70KB, 600x600px
I'm listening to Drones (1980) by Jean-Philippe Goude
Now I know where Koenjihyakkei got their sound from.
Very fun and upbeat, sounds nothig like the cover.
http://youtu.be/j__mS5xiDTU?t=1m45s

>>50824411
Will do!
The problem is choosing which Pink Floyd album, since everybody thinks different.

>>50824416
I don't.

>>50824439
Yup. That's because Prog Metal is a whole new genre that is almost as big as regular Prog.
>>
>>50824439
Yeah. The title should really be changed to "Prog Rock - All Styles" or something. Prog Metal could use its entirely own chart.
>>
I don't see any neo-prog. I know the genre isn't very well liked here but it's still a well established subgenre of prog
>>
>>50824465
>I don't.

talk about intentionally vague. you are a guy, not a girl, you mentally ill fuck.
>>
File: Essential Progressive Metal.jpg (1MB, 1005x2426px) Image search: [Google]
Essential Progressive Metal.jpg
1MB, 1005x2426px
>>50824518
I will just keep it at Prog, because there's also Prog Folk and Jazz. If someone asks why there is no Prog Metal I will just link them this chart.

>>50824560
If it's a well established gnere, what is Neo-Prog, exactly?
I will add some in the next version anyways.

>>50824584
I'm a girl, and if you don't believe me, it's okay. If you still want to talk about this, you can contact me through lastfm (my username is noff01), but please don't talk about it here. Thanks!
>>
>>50824695
It's typified by the use of atmospheric guitar and synth soloing with symphonic leanings, with a tendency towards floating synth layers and dreamy soloing. An additional trait is the use of modern synths rather than vintage analogue synths and keyboards. The main reasons for Neo-Progressive artists to be separated from the ones exploring Symphonic Prog in the first place are the above, as well as a heavier emphasis on song-form and melody than some of their earlier symphonic counterparts.
>>
>>50824774
Sounds good.
Which one should I add?
>>
>>50824794
Not really sure, I don't really like the genre myself, but I know it's fairly popular in some circles.
>>
If someone wants to comment on the Essential Chart, come here!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/170coTpB0Qo5UuDcambLclmko5yLMsjkCV5i34hB35nQ/edit?usp=sharing

>>50824825
Okay. I'm going to listen to some then. Yesterday I listened to Transatlantic for my first time and it wasn't as bad as people say.
>>
File: 1413926903881.jpg (648KB, 1242x1291px) Image search: [Google]
1413926903881.jpg
648KB, 1242x1291px
daily reminder
>>
>>50824894
0/8 b8 am disappoint
>>
>>50824894
Do you like Anglagard or Dun?
>>
>>50824382
you consider math rock prog but not krautrock?
or is there another explanation for the lack of it?
>>
>>50825326
I forgot to add it.
But at times Krautrock isn't Prog.
>>
>>50824695
Wait you're a girl? that might explain why you're so reluctant to accept that your chart is shit

Wasn't that other anon starting a new chart from scratch? Why don't you help him out like he asked you to rather than constantly pushing this average chart
>>
>>50825695
Yeah. Well, my chart might be shit, but I'm considering everyone's point of view.
And yeah, I'm going to put some of the albums he putted there. Next time I see him I wil ask him to merge charts or something.

Why is it so average though? What would you add/remove?
>>
>>50825894
>Why is it so average though? What would you add/remove?
I dunno it just feels like there's way too much focus on obscure stuff, avant-prog and math rock, which is really misleading. Most people will see it, recognise like two albums, be confused about where all the normal classic albums are, then disregard the whole chart because it looks like mostly weird shit, especially in the modern section.

I know I did it a little bit, even though I know like 15 albums on there
>>
File: 1408765377999.jpg (171KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1408765377999.jpg
171KB, 533x800px
i got 25 which is national health which is something I already fucking love so I'm not gonna stop listening to this soft machine but now you know my thoughts
>>
>>50825894
Like, I'm just looking up the bottom row on RYM, the only one I know is Perhaps, and most of the genres there look like this, or some combination of math rock and avant-prog, and they don't have very high ratings or many ratings, which isn't great considering some people will want to use the chart for getting into prog

I know aggregate sites aren't perfect, but this chart seems to be ridiculously biased towards your own taste, and most people are just going to ignore it because of that.
>>
>>50825991
>I dunno it just feels like there's way too much focus on obscure stuff
Definitely not. It's all relatively well known stuff that brings new things to the Prog table.
>avant-prog and math rock,
Well, every Avant-Prog album here sounds very different from each other, and the same goes for Math Rock
>Most people will see it, recognise like two albums, be confused about where all the normal classic albums are, then disregard the whole chart because it looks like mostly weird shit, especially in the modern section.
There are like 30 very well known/classic albums there.
Modern section you are sort of right, but that's because most people think Prog died in the 70s.

Still, I had the idea of making this chart in a google spreadsheet, so that every album has some "notes" with a DL link, a youtube sample, and a description of the album. It would make the chart a lot more accessible.
>>
>>50824382
No Yezda Urfa you fuck
>>
>>50824894
Ozriz Tentacles shit, fuck you dude
>>
>>50825991
>>50826094
basically this
the best thing you could probably do is redub it from "essential" to an "esoteric" (or something along those lines) and kick out Yes/KC/JT/etc
or maybe divide into two categories, mild bobby sauce and tangy spongy sauce
>>
>>50824382
What actually are all those albums at the bottom?Where's porcupine tree? Where's riverside? Where's literally any of the famous modern bands?
>>
>>50824794
Marillion
IQ
Pendragon
Arena
Frost*
>>
>>50826061
I don't really like National Health, I don't get them. Still, Collapso is a great track, especially because of those "Synths"?

>>50825991
I would appreciate it if you could tell me what to add and remove btw.

>>50826094
Yeah, Perhaps is the least well known, but that's because it's from 2013, so it's obvious that not a lot of people have heard it. But it's there for a reason, which is the combination of multiple genres they make (Space Rock, Math Rock, Prog Rock, Heavy Metal, and Jazz Fusion in a very fun way).

>they don't have very high ratings or many ratings, which isn't great considering some people will want to use the chart for getting into prog
Well, that's their fault. The idea of the chart was make something with actually progressive albums, instead of stagnating with the same revivalist on the top of RYM's modern prog charts.

>this chart seems to be ridiculously biased towards your own taste,
Well, that's obvious, but few people are giving actual useful recs, so it's going to stay like that until someone else does something about it.

>and most people are just going to ignore it because of that.
I will add some Youtube samples so that people actually give those albums a try.

>>50826148
Haven't listened to it.

>>50826246
I already added those to the new version.

>>50826261
Okay, I already have Marillion and IQ.
Will check out the rest soon.
>>
>>50826287
>few people are giving actual useful recs
That's because if you were to make it properly it would involve dropping almost half of those albums and it's easier to just start again, which is what gallifrey did.

Where is he btw? thread's already an hour old and he hasn't showed up yet

Also Perhaps is the only one I know, and that's because they had their 15 minutes of fame on PA last year. I didn't really like it, too mathy for me.
>>
>>50826287
I would listen to Yezda Urfa they made a bunch of Ep's no full Lp's. But it is some of the best Prog I ever heard and prog is my shit.
>>
>>50826346
A bunch I mean two lol
>>
>>50826346
but they have two full lp's
>>
>>50826402
or those are some long ass eps
>>
>>50826402
Boris is an EP
Sacred Baboon should be considered an EP
>>
Updated chart here!
goo-dot-gl/rKs35Y

>>50826340
>That's because if you were to make it properly it would involve dropping almost half of those albums and it's easier to just start again, which is what gallifrey did.
Tell me which ones to remove then. It's not hard, there are few albums.

Also, I will try to merge charts with gallifrey.

>>50826346
Which one should I listen to first?
>>
>>50826461
In my opinion I would go Sacred Baboon first, but if you want to listen to their first release go Boris.
>>
Okay but... leaving off Steven Wilson?
>I don't like it, therefore it doesn't exist
>>
>>50826545
I like it, especially the track Luminol, but he adds nothing new to the table.

>>50826488
DLing now!
>>
>>50826583
PT have influenced a ton of modern prog bands, they're like Radiohead of prog
>>
WTB recs similar to Porcupine Tree and the Pineapple Thief and such
>>
>>50824382
Sure would be easier if these were numbered.

I rolled 34, which is Ozric Tentacles - Erpland. I've already listened to it actually. My impression was that it these are very talented musicians and excellent improvisers (if they're improvising.) But I didn't find it very entertaining or exciting. It works fine as background music, but when I try to really listen it's 2mellow4me.

Re-rolled and got 21. Babu - Anabelas is going on my to-listen list.
>>
File: Essential Prog-1.png (649KB, 1653x2339px) Image search: [Google]
Essential Prog-1.png
649KB, 1653x2339px
I have to add some little things, but this is how it looks so far.
Opinions?

>>50826745
I thought you meant Wilson solo stuff.
Porcupine Tree was already added.

>>50826782
In the next version they are :3
Ozric was very interesting, they know how to make very interesting sounds.

>Re-rolled and got 21. Babu - Anabelas is going on my to-listen list.
That one is pretty cool. It could be described as Avant-Symphonic with Jazz Rock
>>
>>50826847
>That one is pretty cool. It could be described as Avant-Symphonic with Jazz Rock
Sounds awesome. Looking forward to it.
>>
>>50826847
Ooh you picked a great PT album too! Forgiven :)
>>
>>50826753
I have a pretty good chart but can't post it because I'm on my phone
There was stuff like Oceansize, Riverside, Gazpacho and Karnivool. Just check out any artists on Kscope and InsideOut Music
>>
Sup guys sorry I'm late, nice to know people miss me.

>>50826461
I can't believe I didn't think of this before. BRB doing my chart like that. It means my awful photoshop skills don't come into play

>>50826753
Gazpacho, recent Marillion, Mice on Stilts, Antimatter, even Anathema. Kscope is a great label for that atmospheric sort of stuff
>>
>>50827368
Why not just fuse charts?
What should I add from yours?
>>
>>50827449
I'm going to leave a whole bunch of sections wide open for you to put shit in

I'm currently trying to condense it down a bit, I'm thinking of including links to some "further listening" charts, and maybe only include 2-4 albums from each subgenre
>>
>>50827495
Why not just use the one I'm already making? It has everything, with the exception of the Download links and samples. Just tell me which ones to add and we will have the perfect Prog chart.

>I'm thinking of including links to some "further listening" charts, and maybe only include 2-4 albums from each subgenre
I already have that covered under the album notes, with specific recs for more stuff similar to the album's genre.
>>
>>50827531
I'm not far off finishing this one though

Can you pick the three most essential math rock/prog hybrid albums? I hate math rock so I know nothing about that area.
>>
do you guys not like Renaissance or something?
>>
>>50827994
Why do you want to make a new chart when there's already one?
I think it's easier if you just told me the most important Alternative Prog albums and then add some notes on my Doc for further listening.
>>
>>50828037
>>50828080

Cant you put Ashes are Burning or Turn of the Cards on there? Is it too pleb or something?
>>
>>50828110
i remember some kid built a mobile contraption thing in high school using the two records from a renaissance live album as wheels
>>
>>50824894
I agree with this completely
>>
File: Essential Prog v3.png (2MB, 1453x1559px) Image search: [Google]
Essential Prog v3.png
2MB, 1453x1559px
Opinions?
>>
>>50828169
should have used Welcome Back My Friends or Yessongs for an extra wheel
>>
File: 1413936102718.png (2MB, 1453x1559px) Image search: [Google]
1413936102718.png
2MB, 1453x1559px
>>50828186
heres what i think
>>
>>50828186
Aqualung instead of Thick as a Brick? Aqualung is barely fucking prog.

Get Tarkus on there you pussy.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
>>50828186
Hey fag, last thread I told to listen to this.
Have you listened to it? What do you think? Why isn't it on the list?
>>
As a person who never was really into prog, I want to start by the classics sure, but at the same time albums with a more abrasive, beginner-friendly approach, I loved In the Court of the Crimson King and that's the only Prog album I ever listened.
>>
>>50828335
listen to fragile by yes. I've loved that album since I was 9
>>
Any one else really like A Trick of the Tail here? Everything after was pretty much shit.

>inb4 dubs guy monologue

I guess I kind of like Duke. But I wouldn't tell anyone non anonymousely.
>>
Are people still making good prog these days? Haven't been keeping up with the times
>>
>>50828277
Good meme

>>50828306
You are right.
I think Brain Salad is more important, especially because it's influence in video game music.
Still, Premiata Forneria Marconi is there, which is a combination of Yes and ELP (before they released their best albums)

>>50828333
Sorry, forgot to listen.
I will put it on my phone right now!

>>50828335
Gentle Giant's Octopus is a very good start.

>>50828521
Definitely.
Check the bottom two rows of this chart >>50828186
Make a Rising would be the ideal first choice.

>>50828472
Haven't heard, but on a related note, Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes is very good.
>>
>>50828579
>Good meme
Thanks you too
>>
>>50824894
>>50828277
>i was born in le wrung genration thumps up if u agre xd
>>
>>50828692
"everyone hates new music that i like, but it's not because its shit lol no way ! it has to be because hes a le wrng genuriation fagit xDD" yo lmaooo dis nigga funny af!!
>>
>>50828731
Glad you agree, and thanks
>>
>>50828579
I have to say Genesis' 80s pop period is miles away better than Yes'. You still hear all that retarded Invisible Touch shit. Plus Abacab and their self titled are actually fairly decent. And they never put out anything as putrid as Big Generator.

Of course, only King Crimson made it through the decade without embarassing themselves (of the "popular" prog bands)
>>
>>50828754
no problem, put your trip back on avant teen faggot of /mu/
>>
>>50828579
Put some goddamn Renaissance and Caravan on there already.

Turn of the Cards and In the Land of the Grey and Pink. Is it too pop for you or something? Nine Feet Underground is one of the best prog compositions ever.

Also, no Camel?
>>
>>50828833
>Put some goddamn [...] Caravan on there already.
>Also, no Camel?
Soft machine is already on there, which is already a good representation of the Canterbury scene.
>>
>>50828951
Soft Machine represent the jazzier/psychedelic side, but not the more melodic side. I suppose Hatfield and the North fits that niche though.
>>
>>50828833
I still have to listen to Renaissance, but why Camel and Caravan? They add nothing new.
>Is it too pop for you or something?
Pop is cool. There are two Prog Pop albums in the chart and Gong.

>>50828785
That wasn't me. I never use that kind of sarcasm.

>>50828992
Exactly. You have HatN and Gong.
>>
>>50828992
Personally, I love Camel and prefer it to Soft Machine, but you have to draw the line somewhere or else the list gets too long or too focused on one subgenre. And IMO Soft Machine belongs on that list more because of its historical significance.
>>
>>50829015
The list says essential prog, not groundbreaking prog. How are you gonna tell me In the Land of the Grey and Pink is not essential prog. It's miles better than fucking Third, which is like shitty jazz fusion. You've got 60 albums there, and you only want to put one from one of the most productive progressive scenes there was?
>>
>>50829116
Maybe it's essential, but every other album in the chart is more esssential than it.
Third has a lot of historical importance and is considered one of the best by a lot of Progressive Rock sites. Calling it "shitty jazz fusion" only makes your point seem less convincing (not because you
Also, there are a lot of other Canterbury albums that are more diverse and groundbreaking (yes, being groundbreaking is important, because one of the reasons I made this chart was people saying that there was no good modern progressive rock, and I mean progressive as in moving forwards).
I'll give it another listen tomorrow and reconsider it though.
>>
>>50829116
>third
>shitty
fight me bitch nigga
>>
File: nerd-fight.jpg (26KB, 320x235px) Image search: [Google]
nerd-fight.jpg
26KB, 320x235px
>>50829252
>>50829222
>>50829116
>>
>>50829222
Fine fine maybe I got a bit too vitriolic, but I just personally prefer the first two Soft Machine albums to Third. I really don't see why Caravan isn't considered groundbreaking at all, its not like all members of the Canterbury scene sounded alike.

Even if you don't put them on the list, I recommend to anyone who wants to hear good melodic prog rock to check out Caravan, particularly In the Land of Grey and Pink and For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night.

On a different note, can Procol Harum be considered prog? Their first album was groundbreaking and is a clear influence on many on this list.
>>
>>50829389
shine on brightly right? I got dat on vinnle, pretty nice album
>>
>>50829422
No, that's their second. First is self titled. Their first 6 or 7 albums are all bretty gud tho, shame they're considered a one hit wonder.
>>
What's the closest thing to Progressive Dreamfunk? Something with the sonic lushness of MPP with the funkiness of Headhunters with progressive song structures.
>>
>>50829389
I'm still trying to find a way to put very good albums that aren't groundbreaking on the chart. Maybe using a second one, or the Notes system from the Google Doc.

Haven't heard them, but it looks interesting.
>>
>>50829015
>That wasn't me. I never use that kind of sarcasm.
Weren't you being sarcastic when you were pretending to be a girl like a couple of months ago?
>>
>>50829490
The Free Pop Electronic Orchestra - A New Musical Experience

>Something with the sonic lushness of MPP
Not as extreme, but it uses a lot of electronic sounds. So, check!
>with the funkiness of Headhunters
Check!
>with progressive song structures
Check!

>>50829510
No, I wasn't. That's not what being sarcastic is about.
Why so bitter though? Why do you have to care so much for people you don't like?
>>
>>50829495
What about Frank Zappa? some of his shit certainly qualifies
>>
>>50829582
Thanks, I'll check it out tonight.
>>
>>50829640
Yeah, forgot about him.
Should I go with Uncle Meat?

>>50829653
The shorter and last tracks are better btw.
>>
>>50829582
>Why so bitter though? Why do you have to care so much for people you don't like?
Because im lonely
>>
>>50829685
Would you happen to have a link? I'm stuck using a tablet so my torrenting abilities are limited.
>>
Is anyone here checking the Google Doc? (goo-dot-gl/rKs35Y)
Remember that you can add comments on it.

>>50829706
I can be your friend if you want.
Add me on last.fm :3 (noff01)
>>
>>50829789
Nope. All the tracks are on youtube though.
The Free Pop Electronic Concept - A New Exciting Experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udFmuIU-t_Y
>>
>>50829685
I'd pick Hot Rats since I think it's a far better album, but since you're going by some other criteria of being "groundbreaking" or "essential" (in other words sounding like shit or being boring), sure, go with Uncle Meat.
>>
>>50830147
Hell, go ahead and pick Lumpy Gravy while you're at it.
>>
>>50830147
The problem with Hot Rats is that it doesn't really fit the Prog definition.
>you're going by some other criteria of being "groundbreaking" or "essential" (in other words sounding like shit or being boring),
I'm using a combination of both, and personally, I do find Uncle Meat better.
And none of the albums on the chart are shit or boring, you just have narrow tastes.

>>50830198
Not Prog.
>>
>>50830147
Hot Rats is more jazz fusion though
>>
>>50824382
Add UFO 2 Flying and Electric Moon Lunatics. Two fantastic albums.
>>
>>50830227
I'm just fucking with you, I get where you're coming from but maybe we can also make a list of prog albums that are more accessible, more of an introduction? People need some time to get into this kind of music, and I think it would be easier on them to start with Fragile instead of Close to the Edge, for instance. Or Gentle Giant's self titled instead of Octopus. That's how I got into it anyway.

>>50830262
You've got Mahavishnu Orchestra and that's clearly jazz fusion. Plus Third is basically jazz fusion too. Clearly the line between jazz fusion and prog rock is hard to define, and pretty much any Zappa album that could be considered prog could also be considered jazz fusion.
>>
>>50830227
Also I don't mean to say Wikipedia is a great source for music classification, but it does list Hot Rats (and the great Burnt Weeny Sandwich) as progressive but not Uncle Meat.
>>
>>50824382
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSEQZ8reJA4
I fucking hate metal, but that black metal bit 11 minutes in is just orgasmic.
>>
File: Prog.jpg (660KB, 1275x1950px) Image search: [Google]
Prog.jpg
660KB, 1275x1950px
Alright fuck here we are. Did it in google docs, but it shat all these ugly lines everywhere when it exported

Now we argue about which to swap out
>>
File: snow goose.jpg (15KB, 300x274px) Image search: [Google]
snow goose.jpg
15KB, 300x274px
So they're ain't no D/Ls in the pastebin link in the chart. Is it a WIP or something?

I feel like a douche asking for spoonfeeding, so I'll share a couple of things in the mean time.

Camel - Snow Goose (2013)
>re-recording of the 70s classic prog album, worth a d/l if you're curious.
https://mega.co.nz/#!Q5pCUKab!EbFQ1H9Laz6e367WSqKrqSUlKm9ZbxwXxy1PHRpR024
>>
>>50830438
>I'm just fucking with you
Grrr >:c
>I get where you're coming from but maybe we can also make a list of prog albums that are more accessible, more of an introduction?
I'm working on it, don't worry. I'm going to put an asterisk to the least/most accessible ones, so that people who want to get into Prog listen to the easy stuff, or the experienced ones want something more challenging.
>People need some time to get into this kind of music, and I think it would be easier on them to start with Fragile instead of Close to the Edge, for instance.
That's a fair point. On the google doc I will put a Liked? Go for X Y DIdn''t liked it? Go for W, V. Do you get what I mean?
>Or Gentle Giant's self titled instead of Octopus. That's how I got into it anyway
Self titled is pretty bad compared to the rest, and not really that accessible

>You've got Mahavishnu Orchestra and that's clearly jazz fusion
It's Prog Jazz Fusion. The difference is that Hot Rats sticks to a single theme in it's songs, while MO uses a lot of themes per song.
>Plus Third is basically jazz fusion too
Same for Third, and Third is not only Jazz Fusion, but Canterbury
>Clearly the line between jazz fusion and prog rock is hard to define, and pretty much any Zappa album that could be considered prog could also be considered jazz fusion
Multi-sectional songs is the key to differentiate those

>>50830521
Define Prog then
Just because Wiki,RYM, PA, or whatever says it's a certain genre doesn't really mean it is
>>
>Premiata Fomeria Marconi - Per un Amico
Never heard of it before, listening to this for the first time...
It's okay, not quite my cup of tea though. I'm enjoying it, but I don't think I'll come back for a second listen.
>>
>>50830602
Outside of the fact that it looks ugly as fuck, that's a far better list of albums. now make it look better
>>
>>50830678
Do you like Yes or ELP?
If the answer is yes, give it another listen, because it's like both of them combined and better.

>>50830682
What did mine miss?
>>
File: flower kings.jpg (18KB, 300x255px) Image search: [Google]
flower kings.jpg
18KB, 300x255px
>>50830617
The Flower Kings - Desolation Rose
>hey you wanted some neo-prog thread, here you go, with some symphonic prog in there for good measure
https://mega.co.nz/#!8oghGS6R!StyJozkMbANBozQ9t5xk0AdjYaEOM7HfKPfZ7OTNb4w
>>
>>50830728
yeah, I'm a big Yes fan. Like I said, I'm enjoying this album, it's decent, it just doesn't strike me as anything amazing.
>>
File: Haken_The_Mountain_cover.jpg (94KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Haken_The_Mountain_cover.jpg
94KB, 350x350px
>>50830770
Haken - The Mountain
>prog metal
https://mega.co.nz/#!EgB1BD4R!UyvN2lhmBHj-7m-estsnsjK928VF1JUns0Dn4-ySYpQ
>>
>>50830792
It's still your first listen. There are a lot of hidden treasures through the album.
>>
>>50829685
>Should I go with Uncle Meat?
Probably Burnt Weeny Sandwich since it has "the little house i used to live in" and that's the closest Zappa gets to being prog. Or maybe Roxy & Elswhere
>>
>>50830602
Gentle Giant yo
>>
File: riverside.jpg (128KB, 800x763px) Image search: [Google]
riverside.jpg
128KB, 800x763px
>>50830851
Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves
> Polish Prog Metal
https://mega.co.nz/#!klISnTSQ!U3eUdAZJKSVmkhhoG5JWxQWKn3s2RnSWLI1z6QLFNew
>>
Gryphon anyone?

Red Queen to Gryphon Three is pretty essential if you ask me.

Also, I know most people don't really consider 10cc prog, and I suppose they aren't, but Sheet Music is definitely a great art rock album.
>>
>>50830602
>>50830888
yeah man, seriously, put Three Friends on there, that album was phenomenal.
>>
File: feelscrying.png (20KB, 499x486px) Image search: [Google]
feelscrying.png
20KB, 499x486px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEWxN1qDdI

I wasn't ready for the feels.
>>
>>50830888
Ah fuck knew I was missing a big name

They can sneak into symphonic right? Just?

Need to decide which of the three on the right to shove out, and which album would be best
>>
>>50830851
how does this compare to that album of theirs with the mermaid on front? that used to be one of my favorites, haven't listened to it in quite a while though
>>
I really like the Muffins.

I've had them on the HD for a long time, and I knew I liked them, but I finally started retreading some albums like 185 and Manna/Mirage and I adore the sound.

I guess I really have a love for the Canterbury Sound and the RIO Sound.
>>
File: RawMaterialcover.jpg (952KB, 1403x1394px) Image search: [Google]
RawMaterialcover.jpg
952KB, 1403x1394px
Anyone given this one a listen? I'd recommend it.
>>
>>50830728
>Do you like Yes or ELP?
I always thought it was more on the early king crimson side
>>
>>50830950
Nearly all the Gentle Giant albums have similar ratings on RYM, would that be the best one? Want to pick one that covers their sound pretty well and is a good entry

>>50831034
I think it's miles better but I hated Aquarius so maybe not for you. Visions is better than both though.
>>
>>50831083
>Want to pick one that covers their sound pretty well and is a good entry
Octopus
>>
>>50831083
Acquiring the Taste maybe. I personally like their self titled a lot as well.
>>
>>50831182
Me too, their debut is pretty underrated.
>>
>>50831182
gentle giant is pretty much pure gold down the line
>>
>>50831106
>>50831182
>>50831227
fucking pick one dammit
>>
>>50831250
http://strawpoll.me/2834255
>>
>>50830937
I agree with you on Gryphon.
Red Queen to Gryphon Three is truly amazing and should be essential prog-folk
>>
>>50831334
>GG
1 vote
>AtT
1 vote
>Octopus
1 vote
>Free Hand
1 vote
>>
>>50831364
I plan to add links to further listening under each of the subgenres, so I'll definitely put that in for folk. Also Harmonium, which I was considering putting in over Comus because it's probably more prog, but I personally prefer Comus
>>
give this a try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVGN9_eJ8WM
>>
>>50831083
hey Gallifrey. what about Hosianna Mantra by Popol Vuh?
>>
>>50831334
u guise fucken serius
>>
>>50831452
I vote for Civilian, asshole.
>>
Am I really the only one here who likes Renaissance? Annie Haslam has such a beautiful voice...
>>
>>50831432
Didn't really think of them. But they would be under Krautrock probably and that would require dropping one of Can/Faust/Neu, which are pretty much the core three of the genre, and I don't want to expand specific subgenres too much in this initial chart

Also Amon Duul II would probably be above them
>>
>>50831414
Holy shit, I completely forgot about Harmonium. I don't wanna write the name of the album, but it's the one of the five seasons. it's a beautiful album, and hard to decide between that and Combs.
>>
>>50831534
I haven't actually heard them but I know a lot of people who like them

>>50831549
The one with the grass and the long title and shit
>>
>>50831536
well, you have a point
>>
>>50831549
L'Heptade was pretty awesome too but it's way too long
>>
http://strawpoll.me/2834296

While we're waiting for people to make up their fucking minds on GG, which album should we drop to fit them in
>>
God you guys all suck

I'll probably repost these at the start whenever we next have a prog thread
>>
This might be the only non shitty thread on /mu/ right now.
>>
>>50831991
Thanks!
>>
>>50831991
YOU KILLED IT YOU DICK
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.