[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bleeproduction/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 31

File: image.jpg (24KB, 184x274px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 184x274px
hello, fellow producers of /mu/. what are you all working on? share projects, post soundclouds, discuss production, talk gear, what have.

just ordered pic related, and I'm very stoked about it. I've been dreaming about this thing since last summer, and I finally found a unit in good condition with power supply and memory card at the right price. now I just need a decent, cheap audio interface... I've been working solely with midi and samples up until now. any suggestions?
>>
sample deletion, sequencing, and sound quality are shit on the 202

there are better/easier/more efficient ways for hardware manipulation for a wide genre of music production.
>>
I have a 404 and love the thing to death.
>>
nigger what the fuck

should've shell'd out the extra dosh and got a 303

my gahd
>>
>>49319547
some heartless niggers are selling the 64mb smartmedia card for the 303 for around 150 bucks. 404+ samplers cant be beat.
>>
File: qj5mNlO.png (16KB, 597x182px) Image search: [Google]
qj5mNlO.png
16KB, 597x182px
I haven't made anything since I cranked out an EP in a week at the beginning of this summer:

https://brendanrincon.bandcamp.com/album/sunstone

But I've been really feeling the creative slump lately. I have a couple of sound design/scoring projects for some short films going on but I'm really procrastinating.

Last piece of gear i got was a Kaoss Pad Quad and I sort of regret it but I sort of don't because you can still get some pretty awesome sounds out of it.

Also, what DAWs do you guys prefer? I use FL and I always hear a lot of shit about it but I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation. I mean, it's a sequencer and you can record shit into it and sample it and add effects. Isn't that the point of a DAW?
>>
>>49319696
how often do you go out to shows?

if regularly, how often do you check out the setups of the people/projects playing?

if you haven't ever did any REAL research on what the people of your specific genre of music use, than you really aren't trying at all.

Use whatever you have at your disposal at first, and learn as much as you can about everything else. Sponge it up, absorb it, be better than the average nigga.

knowing more never hurt anyone.
>>
>>49319696
I actually really liked prism. That track was neat.
>>
>>49319783
I don't go to shows very often, there's not much going on (that I know of, anyway) out here in AZ, especially the part of AZ where I live.

I've tried my hand at live stuff, but I haven't put together a full set. Built a little live set out of my EP though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIN5xSdNv9A

Honestly once I move out (yeah, I know) and get my own place (I'm going to move closer to the metro area where there's some more musical shit going on) I'm going to seriously try to get into the music scene of downtown phoenix

>>49319800
Thanks man
>>
>>49319833
>I haven't put together a full set
start off small, if using the sampler, 3 or 4 samples/beats/etc. playing live is a totally different animal than recording.

small live shows should have something catchy, and LOTS of energy. thats how you keep the people watching you from walking out.

energy, something interesting, and nothing too long.
>>
Currently I'm working on a remix of Porter's Fellow Feeling, a solo uplifting trance tune, another trance tune with my best bud/CEO of my label, an experimental collab and a solo orchestral piece. The remix is.the most finished out of all of them.
>>
>>49319696
I use FL and I tend to ignore the hate for it, I let the quality of the music speak for itself, some of the best trance guys I can think of use FL.
>>
I too have a 404, and love it.

The 202 is still a cool little piece of kit,
How much did you pay for it OP?
>>
>>49319413
>what are you all working on?
Yesterday I finished another track for the Cavern King's OST
https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore/cavern-kings-lecond-ltage-track

And have been working on music and SFX for a Ludum Dare game
https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore/the-isle-in-the-lkies-wip

Regarding gear, I'm really looking forward to getting a Roland SH-201 next month. It will be my second synth and first poly. I really like the demos, the price (around here gear is really expensive) and the USB capabilities. I was in doubt between getting a DX7 or the SH-201, but Jean Michel Jarre tipped the balance.

>>49319696
>Also, what DAWs do you guys prefer? I use FL and I always hear a lot of shit about it but I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation. I mean, it's a sequencer and you can record shit into it and sample it and add effects. Isn't that the point of a DAW?
I have used practically every major DAW in the market for work and my main one right now is FL Studio. Disregard the DAW wars, find the one with the workflow that works for you the best and read the manual to make sure you're using it to the full extent of what it can do.
>>
Anyone have experience with the Korg Volcas? Particularly the beats? Looking at picking one up used for some semi analogue fun.
>>
>>49321289
Volcas are cool, but Beats has a really disgusting snare. Heard it can be modded easily.
>>
>>49321289
Keys are bretty gud
Beats are ok, not a fan of the snare
Haven't purchased the Bass yet
>>
>tfw no Elektron gear

I'm not interested particularly interested in hardware, but fuck me those things are noice.
>>
nice dude, the 202 is really awesome if you are going for a lo-fi gritty sound
>>
So uh I just found out I'm getting a 3000 dollar keyboard for free

hows your guys week been
>>
>>49322361
>So uh I just found out I'm getting a 3000 dollar keyboard for free

what brand/model
>>
>>49322449
kurzweil 2600x
>>
>>49322508
>kurzweil 2600x

Thats pretty neat. I used a k2000 for a while and it was super neat.
>>
>>49322569
Question, how is the synthesis set up on it? All the videos I've seen are people using presets. I'll assume the process in yours will be similar to the process in mine
>>
>>49322594
Well if it is anything like the k2000's VAST system it is pretty menu-divey but not really that terrible to use. Honestly I'd recommend finding a good computer editor for it because you should be able to edit over midi sysex
>>
>>49322640
Sweet, thanks for the advice
>>
My friend has one of those. Is there something like that that allows you to store entire songs?
>>
>>49322910
Why would you want to have whole songs prerecorded?
>>
>>49323344
So I can just manipulate that instead of only a handful of loops.
>>
>>49319489
yeah, that's the idea
>>
>>49320257
$179, with memory card and charger included. i'd been hoping to pay less but all the other ones i found were either missing knobs, no memory card, or just plain didn't work. otherwise they were in the $250 range.
>>
>>49322131
thats exactly what i'm going for, haha. i haven't found a good way to do this in the box that isn't shitacular

>>49323439
do that stuff in your daw, then bounce your slices to your sample, then bounce back to the daw
>>
>>49323758
sampler**
>>
>>49323758
That seems like a lot of extra work for an effect that I'm not necessarily looking for. I just wanna be able to be my own DJ.
>>
Switch to ableton or stick with FL for sample based idm type shit. time stretching and such seem to be really neat in ableton...
>>
>>49319413
I'm actually my band's guitarist as well as its producer. I'm working on our latest album. We're recording it using a four track and audacity. Sounds good so far.
>>
>>49324032
supposed to be a question mark in there
>>
>>49324045
Not that I'm knocking this, but why do people record with older hardware? Isn't it a compete hassle?
>>
How do i get started with bleeps? I have alot of musical ideas i want to put into motion but i'm unsure where to start.
What software/hardware should i familiarize myself with?
>>
>>49324086
The sound, the workflow, and the immediacy of it.
>complete hassle
I mean, if you consider running a tape deck into an audio interface and hitting record as "a complete hassle", then I guess it is.
>>
>>49324086
Virtually no money at all. We're a jazz-rock band that plays in a storage unit. We do what we can to get by.
>>
File: MeatWagon1.jpg (763KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
MeatWagon1.jpg
763KB, 1500x1500px
working on my debut EP

i have a couple beats up on my soundcloud that are basically old and shitty but yeah

http://soundcloud.com/loosescrew
>>
>>49324132
I mean in the case of multiple takes. Maybe I'm projecting, because I usually do 50 takes because I'm a perfectionist... I also suck.
>>
>>49324160
You just re-record the take, like you would with any DAW. Tape machines do let you do that.
>>
How do I make UK Garage in Logic?
>>
>>49324217
You start by spending less time in /bleep/ general, and realizing that UK Garage is neither hard to make, nor good.
>>
>>49324109
you dont need to buy a bunch of hardware immediately. download a daw (doesn't really matter which one) and some drum samples and get creative.

I use FL Studio. You can download a demo version for free.

If you find the stock synths/effects to be shitty you can search the web for VST plug-ins. There are many good and free VSTs
>>
>>49324246
>realizing that UK Garage is neither hard to make, nor good.
What's wrong with UK Garage?
>>
Here's my wishlist to get my start on a functional production studio, anything I should add?

Arturia MiniBrute Analog Synthesizer

KRK Rokit 5's

Sennheiser HD25-1 II Closed Back Headphones

M-Audio Oxygen 49 USB Pad/Keyboard Controller

MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone (I would only use this to sample live things and throw them into harmor)

Ultimate Support JSMS70 Speaker Stands

On Stage Classic Single-X Keyboard Stand

M-Audio SP-2 Sustain Pedal
>>
>>49324265
It fucking sucks. Amateurish derivative shit-tier electronic music that chavs play whenever they take drugs.
>>
>>49324362
Any monitors that are not KRK Rokit's
>>
>>49324265
It's just dead simple, lowest common denominator type music. If it's really that hard to understand, perhaps you spend too much time on /mu/ acting like a lower class londoner
>>
>>49324384
any recommendations in the same price range? and why?
>>
>>49324265
What not wrong with UK Garage would be the better question.
>>
>>49324412
JBL LSR305

Rokits are lower-mid heavy, and do not accurately represent the mix. You don't want mixing speakers to make everything sound good, because then you won't know what actually sounds bad.
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 200x200px
What would I need to buy to make music like http://youtu.be/4bTM1yNiW0g
>>
>>49324517
thanks man, I had no idea. Everyone was saying they're great but I guess they're just memes
>>
>>49324530
drugs.
>>
>>49324594
drugs are a good investment if you're feeling uninspired
>>
>>49324530
low self-esteem

>>49324594
>>49324643
Every dollar spent in drugs is a dollar you're further away from having a bitchin' setup. Think about it.
>>
>>49324530

you need a working computer and a DAW.
>>
File: image.jpg (8KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8KB, 160x160px
>>49324717
>low self-esteem
Wut
>>
>>49319413
My full collab album is out for sale tonight at midnight

spectrumofillusion.bandcamp.com

I am not a professional

I use outdated FL

don't kill me friends
>>
>>49324717
>Every dollar spent in drugs is a dollar you're further away from having a bitchin' setup
This. It's incredible how much gear I've been able to afford by not buying frivolous shit.
>>
>>49324109
Try Ableton Live and FL Studio. Both of them will take a while to learn but whichever one you like more, stick with it.
>>
File: 1312-15-min-wo-art_0.jpg (30KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1312-15-min-wo-art_0.jpg
30KB, 600x600px
>>49324717
>Every dollar spent in drugs is a dollar you're further away from having a bitchin' setup. Think about it.
>mfw all i need is a MPC, MBP, and a midi keyboard
getting super baked and making grooves is one of my greatest pleasures in life. plus, i get i can get an 8th for $30. Colorado wsup.
>>
What are the best genres to produce?
>>
>>49324950
Whatever, man. I don't even do genres, I just let noises happen.
>>
>>49324950
any sort of techno or bass music is good. Stay away from garage though.
>>
>>49324362
You want at least 6" speakers. 5" are almost universally not big enough and don't clearly represent the low end properly. Plus rokits aren't good.

But if you're in a small room, it's best to use good flat response headphones instead.
>>
>>49324530
samples.
and drugs.
>>
>>49324950
>genres
Please. Electronic music genres are the most autistic thing ever. Just make what you're feeling.
>>
>>49324950
I find 80's sounding hip hop the most fun because it's cheesy as fuck.
>>
File: heyfuckyou.jpg (18KB, 450x281px) Image search: [Google]
heyfuckyou.jpg
18KB, 450x281px
>>49324992
> stay away from garage
> garage
>>
>>49324816
>>49324717
they're different things completely. ofc gear will help you make music for obvious reasons but an acid trip can give you completely new ideas that you probably never would have thought of otherwise.

you can have all the gear in the world but if you dont have any interesting ideas you will never make anything worth a shit. personally i rarely feel limited by my setup, so spending some money on other things isnt that bad i think.
>>
>>49325067
sorry but garage is objectively trash
>>
>>49324930
>living in sweden
>tfw my country will without a doubt be the last country to legalize in europe (and probably the rest of the western world)
>>
>>49325083
prove it nigger
>>
Made my first attempt at something like deep house the other day, my bass sucks(I just downloaded Trillian to fix it) but everything else sounds alright i guess

http://linkmixes.com/khyjcp8hbvnt
>>
>>49325076
If you need drugs for ideas, you're just not a very competent composer/producer and should train more. Do whatever you want for fun, but relying on this shit is ridiculous.
>>
>>49325111
listen to it you racist
>>
File: The_Swedish_Chef.jpg (48KB, 290x363px) Image search: [Google]
The_Swedish_Chef.jpg
48KB, 290x363px
>>49325110
the more i keep reading and hearing about Sweden, the more like, uptight it seems. the same goes for the Dutch.

but i guess that's what happens when you're raised on suspiciously racist cartoon caricatures of people from different countries.
>>
>>49325213
why? everyone gets inspiration from different sources. doing a drug is an experience like any other.
>>
>>49320215
It only gets hate because it the most UI friendly and accessible DAW, so of course some people are going to use it to make shitty trap beats.

Been using it for roughly 2 and a half years and I've really enjoyed it. Very simple but can be quite complex if you want it to be.
>>
>>49325415
People tend to shut up about it when they hear about all the great producers who either started off using it or still use it today
>>
>>49325213
drugs make you think and approach problems differently.
>>
Most people I know who rely on drugs to make music, usually make terrible music. The people I know who actually make good music and do drugs don't make music while on drugs because it nearly always turns out bad.
>>
>>49325283
I generally like Sweden. We're completely fucked when it comes to certain things. Feminism (I'm all for equality but these are tumblr type feminists) and drug laws for example.

But overall it's a good country to live in.
>>
>>49325396
There is a difference between preference and dependency. If you're incapable of doing something without drugs, that's not a preference and it's objectively bad for you.
>>
>>49325448
Plus if you ever used any other DAWs its literally the same thing, other than a few tweaks here and there.

Reason and Ableton are just like FL, the only difference is there's no VSTs in Reason and with both programs its like pretty much producing with only the piano roll
>>
>>49325462
I didn't necessarily mean making music under the influence. Just using drugs as another source of inspiration
>>
>>49325462
like Hemingway said - write drunk, edit sober.
>>
>>49325450
Lateral thinking doesn't require pot, just a brain.
>>
>>49325484
i think we are talking about different things. if you're talking about people who really need to get baked before sitting down to create music i completely agree with you.

what i was talking about though was occasionally doing drugs (and by drugs i mean psychadelics like LSD or mushrooms, at least in my case) and using that experience as inspiration for your music
>>
>>49319696
>$4
you know there's a reason nobody listens to your stuff and that's it
>>
>>49324930
where you at my colorado nikkuh? probably no where near me, but still, neato to find other folks in this state
>>
>>49319696
>https://brendanrincon.bandcamp.com/album/sunstone
all of this shit should be like fucking 10-15 BPM slower. seriously. give it a shot, see what happens, but i definitely think it is WAY too fast at the current BPM
also the kaoss quad is imo one of the most pointless effects processors. There is little variety of effects and the fact that there is a whole section dedicated to beat-mangling is just... icky. i entirely believe you that it has great applications, especially live, but I will definitely stick to things with more interesting reverbs and delays.
>>49321219
>getting a DX7
I understand that it's nice having physical gear, but the sounds of the DX7 are so easily replicated and already available in many common VST synths that it just strikes me as silly. I fully support hardware, because the workflow is totally different, but the DX7 is also super hard to use from the hardware anyway. it doesnt strike me as the best investment in 2014...
>>49321289
bass sounds shitty, like a cheap fucking synth. the beats is surprisingly fat with the kick, but the rest if it soudns a little dinky. the keys is a masterpiece for the price. i'm not a huge fan of the delay, and i do hate ribbon controllers, but it sounds fucking awesome for the price you pay for it.
>>49321931
the least intuitive interfaces like ever
>>49324362
scratch the KRKs
get more keys. having 49 is definitely enough and a good amount, but i having more is great, and if you already have such an extensive wishlist, might as well bump it up
the minibrute is a fantastic choice though i should ask: what kind of music are you producing?
>>49324383
that might be a little harsh, but yeah, contemporary (future) garage is so dead. all of the futurebass genres are so stale. it's almost kind of nice to see them get assimilated into smaller electronic pop music than have them stand alone as decaying amateurish club music
>>
anyone ITT have experience with breakcore stuff? one further, does anyone have experience with recording live instruments on top of the breaks? Been trying to do so for a few months now, and have been doing it with some success, albeit mostly with bass.

I have some friends that make breakcore, but 90% of what they do is only sample manipulation. Thankfully talking to them has helped me with my sampling stuffs, but I've been having to try the rest by ear.

https://soundcloud.com/minogame/fucking-kudasai-ep-later-today

is an example. apologies for fuzzy/snowy noise on the strings. only had an 1/4"-1/8" adapter piece for my guitars and had to plug right into my mic input for this. was able to EQ some of the bad stuff out, and have gotten an interface since, but i digress
>>
>>49325612
>psychadelics
yeah, you seem to know your stuff
>>
>>49326050
Already scratched the KRK's, thanks for reassuring my choice.

The minibrute is more for fun than for aiding me in making music, I just really want a small analog synth to play with. I make ambient trap for the most part, so I don't think it would really fit in for the most part, since it's a lot better at making more abrasive sounds from what I've seen. But who says I can't try and have fun while I'm at it, ya know?
>>
how do i make jungle?
>>
>>49326398
plant a bunch of random tree seeds in your background a wait a few hundred years, its pretty tough
>>
>>49326398
jungle is shit, fuck off
>>
>>49326385
and to add, would you recommend getting the 61 or the 88 if I were to upgrade? does having 88 really make a difference?
>>
>>49326449
what's your problem with trees bro

>>49326398
dont
>>
>>49326385
Just keep the mixer levels low on the brute and it won't sound so harsh.
>>
>>49326478
88 is really only good for piano. And I feel like a piano action feels best with actual strings. Not who you are replying to btw.
>>
>>49326281
sorry I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not.
>>
>>49326398
Breaks, dub records and a hate for authority.

Rastaman represent.
>>
>>49326558
he was, because you spelled psychedelics wrongs
>>
>>49323710
tfw bought a 303 for 200
sorry anon
>>
I have a korg ES-1 that i'vebeen using to record movie samples and make beats with. anyone know a way to upload shit to the world wide web?
>>
>>49326050
>I understand that it's nice having physical gear, but the sounds of the DX7 are so easily replicated and already available in many common VST synths that it just strikes me as silly.

If you use a lot of hardware effects it's a bit nicer. Also the keyboards on those are gorgeous. If I had to pick one synth to also use as a midi controller I'd probably pick either a dx7, korg dw8000, korg dss1, or esq-1
>>
>>49326582
oh noes
>>
>>49326398
My dick is diamonds for the moog sub phatty at the time. I've wanted an analog synth for long now but i just don't know much about them

Is the sub phatty "worth it" the moog name aside? Is there a cheaper VCO alternative with a fat sound close to the moog?
>>
>>49326681
The fuck. Wasn't meant to reply to anybody. Oh well.
>>
>>49326681
Wait until the sub 37 prices are lower after it is released.
>>
How do you pronounce Moog?
>>
>>49326449
you've never even been to england mate, have you
>>
>>49326718
mohg
>>
>>49326704
Well, i'm not really rich, would love to not pay even more than for the sub. Besides, its the exact same circuit, isn't it?
>>
>>49326718
oo is like "oh"
rhymes with "rogue"
>>49326655
fair enough.
>>
>UK Garage is shit because its simple so you shouldn't make it
>Jungle is shit because its simple so you shouldn't make it
>FL Studio is shit because its simple so you shouldn't use it

Bleep general everyone, no one here can actually play an instrument and yet are all elitists
>>
>>49326844
lel no
FL is my main DAW
>>
>>49326844
>one person spouts bullshit
>everyone must believe this
>>
>>49326884
>>one person spouts bullshit
You spelled multiple wrong
>>
>>49326844
for real. pretty much every dance subgenre is simple as fuck once you figure out their idioms. even shit like BoC is mostly just studio fuckery to get "that sound" rather than anything complicated musically.
>>
>>49326911
If you cannot handle shit opinions you're on the wrong website
>>
>>49326844
no one really still talks shit about FL studio in 2014. I personally do not like the workflow, but It's a respectable DAW like any other, and DAW hate needs to chill. Except Reason. why does it have virtual cables. WHY. but there are such cool devices and it sounds so good.... BUT THE FUCKING VIRTUAL CABLES UUUUGH
>>
>>49326844
It's true. Jungle is fairly simple unless you're the kind of person who's just chopping up breaks everywhere. UK Garage is straight shit. Like seriously.
>>
>>49326961
Musical level of difficulty doesn't make anything bad, if thats the case ALL ELECTRONICALLY PRODUCED MUSIC is objectively shit and Yngwie is god
>>
>>49326936
FL 12 will have virtual cables too, Reason getting BTFO.
>>
File: zus.jpg (524KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
zus.jpg
524KB, 1280x1024px
https://soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz/atmospheric-beasts
>>
so, instead of arguing about genres and DAWs, how about we talk production?

anyone have any cool tips?

>put quiet, filtered white noise in the background of the track to fill up space and add texture
>make a crazy drum pattern, compress the fuck out of the drum bus, run it through a bit of distortion, a lot of reverb and some resonators for a nice ambient pad sound
>use multiband compression as a sound design tool
>>
>>49327058
>FL 12 will have virtual cables
WHAT?!
>>
>>49327192
>>put quiet, filtered white noise in the background of the track to fill up space and add texture
i use vinyl crackle instead of white noise
>>
>>49327221
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1ZOg9bssk
I'm not joking.

>>49327192
>anyone have any cool tips?
Always mix quiet. You can raise the general volume later, but you want to have full control of the gain staging until it's time for mastering.
>>
File: volc.jpg (545KB, 1800x1079px) Image search: [Google]
volc.jpg
545KB, 1800x1079px
Sup! I've been playing around in FL studio for around 5 years. Don't really have much gear except for my Focusrite 6i6 and guitars.

Here's a track i finished today:
https://soundcloud.com/lucasle/sunny
>Phaser synths
>Summer
>Dubsteppy

Also, thoughts on pic?
>>
>>49327472
True, loud always sounds better too, which is not what you want when you're doing a mixdown.

I do some things that are usually really discouraged though.
>mix into a compressor on the master
>boost good frequencies and lower the volume instead of surgical cutting
>reverb on your bass

I like a little mud in my mixes though, I'm not into the really sterile poppy sound as much. Machinedrum does some of this stuff too apparently. I'd recommend checking this out for people who use Ableton
>https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/machinedrum/
>>
>>49327486
>https://soundcloud.com/lucasle/sunny
nice production, perfectly enjoyable. I would recommend that you have the main synth get a compressor sidechained to the kick. the kick could use more force too. also the phaser is too present for my taste, I would roll back the wetness or the feedback.
as for the volca beats? read the thread. we commented on how we dont like it much earlier ITT. nice kicks, but shitty percs.
>>
File: 1402187466567.jpg (49KB, 455x224px) Image search: [Google]
1402187466567.jpg
49KB, 455x224px
>>49327739
>mix into a compressor on the master
*sweats nervously*
>>
File: 6MpN1r5lj2jo1.jpg (76KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
6MpN1r5lj2jo1.jpg
76KB, 500x500px
>lo fi, exp, downtempo
>instrumental
https://soundcloud.com/nckxlgn
>>
>>49327781
Just light compression. Ableton's glue compressor, actually. I like to think it emulates using actual hardware, which adds some of its own compression, but who knows. Lately I've been recording to cassette which does its own compression. I also use $30 computer speakers for monitoring, and I'm really lazy with my mixes but everything translates pretty well and like I said, I prefer some imperfection in my tunes.
>>
>>49327881
can i hear your tunes? i definitely think mastering etc is overrated, but it also depends a lot on the style of music and where you are hearing it.
>>
>>49327811
this is a /bleeproduction/ thread not an SC thread c'mon have some respect.
>>
>>49327811
You seem to be lost, this isn't a soundcloud thread
>>
>>49328168
apologies for posting in a thread meant for specifically prod. tips and trix,
>>49319413
post soundclouds, share projects, etc. etc. lolz
>>
>>49328049
Sure, here are a few tunes I made the other night.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1IzrMFZW0ak
>dub techno/ambient/11:34

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0V4K4oKM0Xw
>dub techno/acidy/6:43
>>
File: 1390157793369.gif (721KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1390157793369.gif
721KB, 500x500px
heyy is this the kinda thread where you get feedback?

http://clyp.it/ptxy5pkv

I have never produced anything of this style before so I'd love to hear any thoughts from you
>>
>>49328420
oh and it's obviously a wip and very rough around the edges at this point
>>
Hi, first time poster.

I've mostly been dicking around in FL Studio for quite a while, and though I have a good feel for making something sound good (having all "instruments" sounding decently clear), it's a very unprofessional deal.

I feel that I could be doing so much better if I had a clearer idea of what's going on.
Are there any good resources I could use to get better at this stuff?
>>
>>49328441
>http://clyp.it/ptxy5pkv
those drums at the beginning are way too loud/punchy/compressed. maybe turn down the volume on them a bit and add a bit of reverb? otherwise I like what you're doing. i think adding a cool clap pattern in could make it even more exciting and varied, if you're into that
>>
>>49328613
If it's a mixing problem, I'd go hang out at /r/edmproduction for awhile until there's nothing left to learn from them. They don't know that much and some of their advice is shit, but it's all good to know. Also, http://www.pensadosplace.tv/ is supposedly pretty good for tutorials, but it's more focused on mixing recorded materials. Everything still applies to bleeps though, sometimes you can even go crazier with it if you don't care about it sounding "natural".
If it's a problem with composition, what worked for me was listening to a lot of good tracks and trying to generalize what was going on with all of them. e.g. how many different instruments are playing at once, what kind of transitions are used and when they occur, how much variation in an instrument's part happens over the course of the entire track
>>
>>49328765
Thanks for the links. It's mostly mixing, but I do have a tough time when it comes to transitions that aren't simply adding more instruments. I'm sure that method will help.
>>
>>49326635
could i just use audacity or something?

also, does anyone know of a simple free program that can separate tracks in a mix?
>>
File: 1338772563945.jpg (262KB, 862x892px) Image search: [Google]
1338772563945.jpg
262KB, 862x892px
How do I achieve OPN's R+7 choral sounds? Should I sample them off actual choirs or their a way to synthesize them?
>>
>>49328862
Yeah, mixing just takes a lot of practice and making sure you're not being absolutely retarded with your sound selections.

For transitions, I like to automate some parameter like reverb dry/wet or length, filter cutoff, delay amount, whatever, and then at the end of that automation curve, I do some really obvious change like adding/removing an instrument or changing up the melody/bassline. I think it ends up giving the automation a bit more purpose, like a buildup or signpost of sorts, rather than just changing the sound slightly.
>>
>>49328909
Audacity will work well for recording; just record with the line-in on your computer and not the mic input.

>also, does anyone know of a simple free program that can separate tracks in a mix?
Do you mean recording multiple tracks at once or recording in stereo and separating the different elements afterward? Because the former is possible while the latter is not.
>>
>>49328971
those are like.. reason presets dude
>>
File: Formant.gif (10KB, 319x225px) Image search: [Google]
Formant.gif
10KB, 319x225px
>>49328971
I think OPN uses synthesized voices. If you're using Ableton, you can draw in a formant-like spectrum (pic related) in Operator, add some unison, maybe some chorus, and low pass filter to get rid of the obviously digital high end. But I'm guessing OPN probably uses some preset from Omnisphere for a lot of his sounds.
>>
File: Gear List Cassette.png (3MB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
Gear List Cassette.png
3MB, 3508x2480px
I was thinking about maybe investing in a hardware setup for making stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ZI3bgu3pk

I made a diagram kind of an ideal setup, and wanted to ask: has anyone had any sort of an experience with this type of setup? I'm not a beginner and have been making music with virtual synths for quite some time. I even tried to emulate what it would be like in Ableton (single osc synth, 1 707 kit, both with only a 16 step sequence playing throughout the whole song, with 2-3 effects and a 3-band EQ for each sound module) and got results that I was really satisfied with.

Would it be worth shilling out +$600 for it?
>>
>>49328368
chill. not bad. would use some more stuff happening in the background imo
>>
>>49329286
Just FYI you can replace the mixer and cheap tape recorder with a single 4-track cassette recorder. If not, I'm fairly certain there's a model of that mixer than has a USB output so you might be able to skip buying that other USB interface entirely and just run the cassette recorder back into the mixer when you want to transfer it to your PC.
>>
>>49329286
that's going to sound... not great. first - DO NOT GET THAT INTERFACE IT IS GARBAGE. it is truly a deplorable interface. running your mixer output through a tape player is a bad idea. I don't know why you think adding that is even remotely a good idea. With a cheap tape player, you will junk your sound almost immediately. The microbrute is something i would always suggest, and pedals are entirely a matter of personal taste, and i don't see the problem with those necessarily. The beats is fine, but it will sound like your percs are coming from a volca beats, which is not necessarily desirable. charming, but not impressive.
i guess the most objectionable things in your proposed kit are the awful interface and the odd choice of running through a tape player
>>
File: 1392277321378.jpg (166KB, 669x667px) Image search: [Google]
1392277321378.jpg
166KB, 669x667px
these threads are embarrassing, nothing but a bunch of autists sharing their "studio setup" consisting of a tape recorder and some fucking guitar pedals.
>>
>>49329474
i bet you like uk garage
>>
>>49329286
also why the fuck are you running your beats through an overdrive? you trying to make gabber?
lol
and seriously, the tape player will trash your sound with distortion anyway.
>>
File: rubber cement.png (179KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
rubber cement.png
179KB, 500x358px
>>49329474
>being this much of a fucking tool
>>
>>49329474
At least you were kind enough to warn everybody you have autism.
>>
>>49329214
I use a all hardware set up. The only softsynths I've played are FM8 and VB 303.
>>49329229
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>49329286
It's a fun setup for jamming, although the downside is you can't really do a more detailed mixdown after you've recorded it. Personally, I use Ableton and Push and record it to cassette. It's not as limited in terms of what sounds you can get, and you can step sequence everything, but it's not analog and still costs $600. Theoretically, you could also record the multitracked jam to arrangement view with Push for later editing, but the main problem I've encountered with this is that you can't create new session clips while you're recording, but if you make all of your loops beforehand, it works well.
>>
>>49329587
fair enough, but seriously, i'm fairly certain that OPN is using very obvious Reason presets in the vocal section of NNXT. I can't confirm right now because i've since uninstalled Reason, but if someone else can it would be appreciated, just for peace of mind
>>
>>49329176
i mean taking a pre-existing song and isolating different instruments for the purposes of getting a sample without background noise
>>
>>49329658
It's possible, but 99% of the time the result will be unusable due to artifacts.
>>
>>49329564
>>49329480
im just saying, when someones makes a post like this >>49329286 you just have to wonder in amazement that there's people out there that are actually this retarded
>>
>>49329229
how fucking retarded are you? please dont use formant if you dont know what the fuck it means. you're confusing harmonics with an equalizer you dingbat
>>
>>49329463
I know it's kind of an odd thing to do, but in this case, I wanted the the tape recorder for a couple of reasons, I wanted to make the mix sound more on the lo-fi side, and so I could have both digital and physical copies of the performances.

>>49329402
I just checked on Ebay for a 4-track cassette recorder and most of them are around $100 used.

The mixer that's in the diagram is $65, the cassette recorder is $50, and the interface is $30.

So it would come out to the same price, and that's if the 4-track has a built-in USB connection. Yes, it would be more of a hassle having those three separate pieces of kit, but I personally think it's worth it to get those pieces new.
>>
>>49329286
Microbrute is a great synth. The only warning I would give about it is that it sounds very different than a SH 101. Like they are almost incomparable.
>>
File: m8.jpg (155KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
m8.jpg
155KB, 600x600px
>>49329786
m8 i think you might be the retarded one considering how buttfrustrated you're getting over the setups random people on the internet have
>>
>>49329838
Am I being trolled?
>Formants are defined by Gunnar Fant[1] as "the spectral peaks of the sound spectrum of the voice".
I didn't say anything about an EQ?
>>
>>49329842
do NOT get that interface. seriously, get a solid interface like a KA6 for $200, then you can run the instruments directly in and use the DAW's effects, and still have the ability to bus the master out of an auxillary output into a tape player. don't be a dingus.
>>
File: still messy.jpg (349KB, 1306x736px) Image search: [Google]
still messy.jpg
349KB, 1306x736px
>>49329474
I'm curious as to see how much you hate my setup.

>>49329286
Id recommend against always running your master through a tape deck as that can get problematic. Tracking individual tracks into your DAW through tape can be neat though. Also instead of an overdrive for the beats I'd get a compressor or levelling amplifier but that's just me. Aside from that it looks like you'd have a great jam station set up aside from the terrible interface.
>>
>>49329498
I've ran entire drum machines through overdrive effects in Ableton, I think as long as you don't go overboard when applying it I think it can sound desirable, at least through my experiences.

>>49329624
I'm not really trying to make anything that detailed though. My idea is just to jam and record what I've got, record the entire mix onto a cassette, and record the cassette playing via interface so I can save the audio from it onto my computer.
>>
>>49330131
He's mostly saying that because overdrive into tape will probably result in being pretty garbo.

Overdrive on drums can sound great but you have to be careful with tape because saturating it a bunch can really kill all of your dynamics.
>>
>>49330025
I agree on the interface, the one in the diagram was just an example. But to be honest, I'd rather use hardware effects so I can adjust them throughout the jam live, I personally don't like to bother with like 20 automation clips in a DAW.

>>49330184
You're right, I didn't think of that. In this case, I'd leave out the dist pedal then, but I'd still want the other hardware effects, plus the EQs that the mixer provides.
>>
File: 9365867_mpc3000[1].jpg (62KB, 500x489px) Image search: [Google]
9365867_mpc3000[1].jpg
62KB, 500x489px
How could I produce sample orientated Hip Hop?
Stuff like Madlib?
Do I just need something like pic related?
>>
>>49330394
You need to get a shitload of samples.

You dont really need an mpc but they are pretty nice.
>>
File: poetssamplerpos.png (67KB, 1640x405px) Image search: [Google]
poetssamplerpos.png
67KB, 1640x405px
>>49330394
This is a post from a guy who used to lurk /fa/ and made stuff like dj shadow.
https://soundcloud.com/kingscountylighthouse
>>
File: poetreturns.png (77KB, 1636x317px) Image search: [Google]
poetreturns.png
77KB, 1636x317px
>>49330584
part 2
>>
>>49330630
thats actually a really good idea for samples. I don't make sample based music but if I ever were to I'd probably go down to goodwill or some shit after hearing this to find songs
>>
>>49330773
Goodwill is ok but it adds up. Yard sales are the best because you can get a box of 100 records for 10 bucks instead of 1 dollar each at goodwill.
>>
>>49330812
Well sadly I live in a place where yard sales aren't too common. But like I said, I don't even make that kind of music so it isn't a concern to me
>>
>>49330840
Do you have craigslist where you're from?

That can be decent too.
>>
anyone have links to videos of people playing sets live where you can clearly see the knobs?
>>
>>49330584
thanks for these posts anon
>>
>>49330584
Where can I get a nice, cheap turntable?
Is there any sort of guide to all of this stuff?
I don't even really understand how you would use the turntable with the other hardware
>>
>>49330984
>I don't even really understand how you would use the turntable with the other hardware

Plug your turntable output into a preamp and then into an interface. Record samples.
>>
>>49326933
>>49326961
I bet you like breakcore.
>>
>>49330329
then just get a fucking nanokontrol2 or some shit it costs very little for a controller and will act exactly the same way. hell, even take an afternoon to spray paint it or put stickers on it or bedazzle it so you can tell the sections apart and have it be like three distinct dedicated devices.
>>
>>49331296
Nah, I'm more of a techno man myself. I like simple shit, I wasn't trying to be an elitist or anything. That said, chopping up breaks and sequencing 128th notes isn't that complicated either.
>>
>>49328168
op here, this >>49327811
isn't what you're supposed to do
>>
>>49331409
Why do you hate UK Garage though? It's just deep house with slowed-down jungle breaks. Now speed garage is a different thing to talk about, I give you that.
>>
>>49326961
>>49331409
how do i chop amen
>>
File: 1402187497527.jpg (69KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1402187497527.jpg
69KB, 500x500px
>>49331817
wat
>>
>>49332015
>UK Garage is straight shit. Like seriously.
>>49326961
>>
>>49331899
smoke weed
>>
File: CRAIGTURN.jpg (47KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CRAIGTURN.jpg
47KB, 600x450px
can anyone identify the model of this record player? all i know is that that it's made by a company called AIWA. it's on craigslist for 15 dollars and i want it, but i don't want to make the trip out there if its going to butcher my records anyway
>>
>>49331817
i'm not the guy who hates UK garage

>>49331899
you could chop out individual drum hits and sequence them, keeping in mind that there will be artifacts from the other drums - this would be a good way to make slower/4x4 genres. for crazy jungle fuckery i would just bring the amen into an audio track, cut little parts out and move them around to make weird glitchy rhythms. it's all mostly trial and error though.
>>
>>49331817
UK GARAGE A SHIT
>>
>>49332392
>no counterweight
yeah it's going to butcher your records
>>
>>49324530
Is it... supposed to sound like this?
>>
File: YnHG3gu.gif (489KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
YnHG3gu.gif
489KB, 500x250px
>>49324530
>that drum fill/transition at 00:39
>>
>>49332392
aiwa px-e860
>>
How do you get a track relatively loud without killing any headroom? Everything I do sounds quiet as fuck and I'm peaking at like -2db
>>
Do samples work well in dancepunk or should I keep the plunderphonics for my solo wankery?
>>
>>49334121
pleb answer: smash everything through a limiter
real answer: compress the things that are peaking really high, EQ things so they have their own space in the spectrum and aren't stepping on each other
>>
>>49334217
>dancepunk

let me just stop you right there
>>
>>49334309
hm..If I am close to 0db on average, shouldn't my shit be pretty loud? Going from anything I make to any random album is like night and day. wut am i doin rong oh god
>>
>>49324530
dj turn tables, sampler, child's casio keyboard, tape deck
>>
>>49334335
Are you serious or does /bleep/ just hate fun
>>
File: FD_Logo2.0.png (1MB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
FD_Logo2.0.png
1MB, 1400x1400px
Just finished my new album

> Liquid

https://soundcloud.com/full-delay
>>
>>49334462
if it's really 0dB *on average* it should be loud as fuck. if you're just peaking at 0dB, it might not be loud. maybe there are phasing issues, have you checked your tunes in mono? are you filling up the whole spectrum with sounds?
>>
>>49329696
then how are these people on youtube doing it? it cant just be rock band instrumentals :/
>>
>>49334657
I'm going to try using a different meter, I haven't but thank you for the suggestions
>>
>>49334561

it sounds like an unnecessary and pedantic genre label
>>
>>49334636
nice stuff, would listen to in the car
>>
>>49335933
although there is some mixing issues, such as the "drop" in the first song which is a bit muddy
>>
>>49335974
and the fact that I have to pay for it

if you're just starting out, free is the only way to get your name out
>>
I'd like to make a general statement about the use of presets. If you want to use them that's fine, but you gotta understand that you can't be considered a great producer if you stick with them. You can be one of the best songwriters and use presets, but if you want to be a respectable producer you need to realize that by using presets you're only working with whats handed to you. If you learn how to properly use synthesis to make your own sounds, you can start to make your songs sound like YOUR songs with your own touches, and you can start to refine your abilities until your own sounds are unique and sound good enough to fool people into thinking they're presets. Unless by chance the sound you find in a preset is EXACTLY how you want it to be, you're very limited in comparison to those who design their own sounds and it's naive to think you're fine to just keep using them without trying to make your own and explore what unique possibilities you could be making.
>>
>>49336302
I never understood the point of presets. Sound synthesis to me was always the fun part making and producing the song actually kinda sucks.
>>
>>49337667
I am like that too
>>
>>49337667
This
>>
>>49319413
soundcloud.com/drearldavis
earldavis.bandcamp.com

>electronic music
>random new tracks on SoundCloud
>full releases on Bandcamp

also Ableton for life
>>
>>49337667
that's why a lot of music ends up sounding the same. kids get away with using presets basically because a lot of people don't know how to make music at all. if you've even opened up most programs or touched a lot of machines, it's incredibly easy to recognize.

it's just lazy, not creative whatsoever. what's the point in getting involved with this stuff if you can't even try to make it unique?
>>
how to get that jam city/night slugs sound?
>>
>>49338692
FM synthesis, classic drum machine sounds programmed with aggressive patterns
>>
>>49338349
Read the damn thread. Idiot.
>>
https://thesilencebetweenbattles.bandcamp.com/album/ep1

Spend a couple hours on this yesterday using logic.
Tried to do something like a winged victory for the sullen.
>>
File: su10.jpg (49KB, 548x301px) Image search: [Google]
su10.jpg
49KB, 548x301px
1. wtf is bleep?
2. i got a yamaha su10 sampler from a local pawn shop. the guy had no idea wtf it was, sold it to me for $10. it was fun at the time, but i dont really use it anymore.
>>
>>49325415
this.
it's not about the DAW,it's about how good the final product is.
Yes,you can make some shitty trap beats on FL,but you can also make some dope shit with it
>>
how do you produce chill drums? i know that sidechaining gives it a good feeling,but what more can i do to make it even chiller?
>>
>>49343035
less is more
>>
File: 1397356746051.jpg (179KB, 997x750px) Image search: [Google]
1397356746051.jpg
179KB, 997x750px
>>49330584
>>49330630
>tfw there isn't any yard sales in Brasil
>tfw a turntable, mpc and mixer are expensive as fuck
i try my best e-digging,i think that if i could get some obscure gems and proper hardware i would be the shit
>>
>>49326050
I feel like all the people who bitch about the DX7 being hard to program have never actually used one. It obviously takes more time than just turning knobs on your standard subtractive piece but people like to talk like writing patches on the thing isn't dissimilar to mountain climbing. I love it personally. Also, I feel like FM8 doesn't tackle the sound correctly. FM7 got really close though. Hmmm...

>>49343035
Program chiller. There's no substitutes for good arrangement. No technique is going to magically make things sound "chill". Think within the context of your song. What doesn't sound "chill" by itself might surprise you once you have all your elements together.
>>
>>49343450
i never really understood this attitude toward sample-based music. are you really just using recognizable samples/loops from those "obscure gems"? for me, sampling is all about getting those ready-made full textures from tiny unrecognizable bits of audio. it doesn't even matter what the source is, any song can be sampled imo.
>>
>>49319833
Did you attend CRAS by any chance?
>>
I want to begin learning how to mix, but I've been told that mixing is an art of sorts and that there isn't a 100% correct way to mix. How true is this, and where do I start learning to mix?
>>
>>49341426
It's a joke about people who call electronic music beep boops.
>>
>>49346424
its all about your own unique sound. There is no 100% correct way to mix, you might want it to sound a way another person wouldn't when it comes to boosting frequencies, and choosing which sounds are more defined and which are in the background. Mixing is really a time and practice thing, although looking up youtube tutorials doesnt hurt
>>
>>49346544
Are there any bad habits I should avoid in mixing? I just want to get myself off on the right foot is all.
>>
Another FL user here. It's a great program.

http://soundcloud.com/evo-auxilium

Here's my SC, I'm working on a new project, I released my debut on BC and SC in mid July.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about sound design and mixing, mastering, etc.
>>
>>49346644
The biggest thing is to make sure every sound thats louder in the mix has a distinct section of the EQ to itself. Cut out or reduce frequencies where other sounds are playing to avoid a muddy mix. Learn how compression works early on, took me way too long. Don't be afraid to experiment with the EQ, sounds can change drastically with a little change in the right places, as long as its not intruding very far into another sounds territory in the mix.
>>
>>49346752
Alright, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
Thread posts: 253
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.