[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Experience musicians, When you are playing chords and the like,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: mmm.png (57KB, 625x337px) Image search: [Google]
mmm.png
57KB, 625x337px
Experience musicians,

When you are playing chords and the like, do you visualize it as the note names themselves, as visual patterns on your instrument (chord shapes guitar, seeing on piano), as the intervals between the chords (whether that be the intervals from root or stacking thirds), or something else?

Also general music discussion related to visualizing/thinking about music while playing.
>>
On piano I kind of see them as shapes that are projected onto the keys starting at an arbitrary point. They are just collections of intervals after all.
>>
visual patterns
>>
>>48864147
Experienced*

Also if anyone is wondering I currently visualize the chords on piano, and i'm honestly just lost on guitar when it comes to playing chords freely, I just know like 15 shapes and just repeat them, which sounds and is boring and dull.
>>
>>48864147
colors and the visual patterns on my instrument
>>
>>48864202
>>48864183
>>48864204
Well it seems at least for piano, visualization is common. On guitar I find that it doesn't work, you can't see the pattern unless i'm missing something. Perhaps if one generalized like 5 or 6 chord positions and their respective intervals, then they can alter those intervals freely. For example, the normal barre chord on 6th string is a pattern of 1 5 1 3 5 1, so one could memorize that and then be able to alter the chords freely. I feel like that's not a good solution though.
>>
Damn, dead already? Seemed like some good discussion was awaiting, but I must have predicted wrong
>>
chords come to me as an odd blend of colour, emotions and sometimes smell/taste.
>>
I am a drummer so, to me everything is just some point in time.
>>
>>48865534
no one asked you drummer bitch boy
>>
>>48865613
okey ;_;
>>
>>48865534
for me drum parts are like wave patterns, which technically could be translated in to colour?
>>
>>48865672
I don't know. I don't see sounds like colors. Maybe the mood of music, but that's pretty normal
>>
>>48864147
I visualize my playing in terms of semitones on the keyboard. I learned piano by myself by learning the intervals and chords' positions. I also know key signature by referencing the key of C (all naturals) and translating the pattern to another key.
>>
>>48865477
you don't know what you're talking about
>>
i dont visualize chords or music as pictures
i associate them with other sounds and feelings
>>
Will a guitar player enlighten me on how they visualize the guitar? I feel like knowing the note names of every scale is the only way to be able to play guitar freely and be able to pick and choose what you want. You can stay in set positions but thats not really playing, you won't really know where you are, you're just playing a pool of notes that you know sound good. Someone give me some insight please.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.