[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

producerfags of /mu/, what is your music writing process? go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

File: logic-pro-x-hero-100046008-orig.png (647KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
logic-pro-x-hero-100046008-orig.png
647KB, 2560x1440px
producerfags of /mu/, what is your music writing process?
go into as much detail as you like
>>
I start with an initial idea,
It can be ANYTHING man, thats about as descriptive as I can get it.

Then I start adding more ideas onto it,
Y'kno, like building blocks.

I gotta be honest with you man sometimes I just use the first idea that comes to mind because if you start to overthink it you lose the initial ideas vibe so just make some music man don't think bout it.
>>
File: 1405849475075.gif (3MB, 350x263px)
1405849475075.gif
3MB, 350x263px
>take random sample into simpler
>play around with it, pitchshift/distortion/reverb whatever
>heythisisnotshit.jpg
>make it into a 16-bar loop
>add drums
>don't know how to proceed, end up with 600 different awesome 16-bar loops, 1 finished song

I really need to learn to use arrangement view
>>
>>48590059
Pretty much this.

Typically I open the program. I usually go for a beat first. Even if I'm not using kicks or snares or hi-hats or what have you, it really helps to have a kind of "rhythmic skeleton" to the track.

Then I usually work on how the various instruments/samples, etc. that I'm using work together. That's the hardest part, I think.
>>
>>48589881
pre much make a cool synth line, make some drum loops and go from there. Drops i find are a bit hard to make though.
>>
>>48590147
>>48590135
>>48590116
>>48590059

interesting, i'm getting used to working with logic now and for the past month or so all ive made are sort of 'test'/experimental loops, but now I have a basic understanding I hope to actually start makin some music.
Thanks for sharing though it's interesting to see how different people approach it, how long have any of you been producing for?
>>
depends on genre. if no real instruments, i just usually start by making a patch. once i get something i like i usually just add more then arrange according to genre/what i want.
>>
first i make a sound i find nice to listen to
then most of the times i improvise in about 10 minuts or something and record it.
then i listen to it, see if i catched something,
if i did i'll record it agian
and yeah, then the rest usually follows
>>
>>48590199
Its been like 3 years and all I gotta say is practice man, just beat down all questioning, beat the rebellion saying NOT to practice.

Learn what you don't understand, observe and replicate.
>>
>>48590237
i guess every song and genre is different but i was speaking more generally
>>
>>48590252
you mean like my production method? that was pretty general already
>>
normally start with a pad or other cool sound, then start adding drums or other synths to the mix until i end up with a 30-40 min long pile of shit.
>>
>>48590250
Thats what I tend to do, the other day i spent a good couple hours researching EQ and mastering and already it has opened new doors for me creatively

>>48590285
haha
>>
>>48590199
approx. 2 years now

Also a method to get from 16-bar loops to a whole song afaik is just to repeat the whole thing untill you find some kind of progression, it could be everything, like a hihat-loop.
>solving my own problems
>>
>>48590338
thats the only part i struggle with now, I think it must be common unless you are super creative genius, but yeah I have a basic understanding of music theory and stuff but when it comes to making a loop progress and make it sound not too cheesy or sound bad I have a hard time.
Recently I've started making a loop and then when i cant think of anything leave it for a while and come back. Sometimes it helps but most of the time i return and nothing fresh comes to mind :(
>>
>>48590310
Great job man! It takes a lot patience to do that
>>
>>48590391
What do you mean by cheesy?
>>
>>48590513
I guess a sort of 'expected' progression or overlaying melody like say "C, F, A, G", i.e something I've heard before
I suppose I may be pushing myself too hard/setting my standards too high but at the same time I dont wanna make the same music everybody else makes haha
>>
>>48590561
btw didnt mean to sound far up my own ass there
>>
>>48590561
honestly, im sure youve heard this before but look up the different keys and and get a chord book or something. youll get nice results well before youre a master at it.
>>
>>48590602
Oh fuck i forgot about those, thanks for reminding thats actually quite useful
>>
>>48590561
I was at the point you where at too, man.
Where I scrapped every idea because it sounded too similiar to ideas I've heard.

The truth is, NOTHING is original, all we do is recreate what we've heard into our own version. The only difference is the vessel that translates the idea.

So basically lay out what you feel you've heard, you won't sound completely generic because you're adding your own taste to it.
>>
File: 6tag_261213-123556.jpg (91KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
6tag_261213-123556.jpg
91KB, 400x400px
Usually spend a good amount of time experimenting with the software, and just add on from there, although personally I like to record live and not use the patterns for most things, other then some drums.
>>
Is FL studio a good program to start with or is there anything better?
>>
>>48590698
don't worry about what is good to start with

just start :)

trust me
>>
>>48590719
Okay :D
>>
>>48590561
>>48590674

a better way of putting it is not 'generic' sounding, i like shit like FlyLo, Aphex Twin and Squarepusher because they use unusual/jazzy progressions and chords and basically I wanna learn how to do that

>>48590698
FL is okay if you are completely new to creating music, however I would go on to ableton or logic as soon as possible because FL is basically for beginners
>>
>>48590750
but to be honest, anything is good as long as you feel comfortable using it, other DAW's tend to be more overwhelming when you first start out so maybe FL is a good place to learn the basics
>>
File: Le Crazy Panning.png (802KB, 1920x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Le Crazy Panning.png
802KB, 1920x1037px
Each project is different, but usually breaks down to these stages:

>Sketching
Improvise on instruments, create patterns, record singing or whistling, somehow get melodies and chords out of my head onto the page/into the DAW.

>Editing
Make sure the pieces structure is sound, check each part for quality (Is X Shit? If so=delete, if not=expand) Generally make sure the piece is in good shape for recording (if necessary)

>Recording
Do vocal takes, double check notes, listen back, make sure the takes are tight/wordsetting is correct. Often double track vocals or add layers at this point. Record any other live instruments needed and find any source material online (FX, any misc sounds needed)

>Finishing
Levels, mixing, make sure effects are correct/automation, add in the padding: Background synths, strings, alternate patterns for percussion (to avoid obvious repetition)
During this stage I also test the piece on several systems/monitors

Been using FL Studio for ~14 years. Ever since it was Fruityloops 3
>>
>make beat loops
>have a folder of short loops
>sometimes i'll go on and just make a short beat, save it and go away
>when i feel inspired i'll open up fl studio and drag a beat in or start from scratch
>sometimes i'll just drag drum samples onto the song timeline roughly to the beat and end up with 8 or 16 bar patterns that sound really cool
>drag some samples in depending on what i need
>cut them up, reverse them, speed up and slow them down, basically do what i want with them
>layer loads of samples with the beats and loops i made
>possibly synthesise some stuff (i'm crap at synthesis though)
>when everything sounds good, render the track as 320 mp3
>>
>>48590750
>>48590784
Thanks. But could you explain what makes FL more beginner friendly and why other programs are considered better in the long run?
>>
>>48590843
Fl's interface is easier to learn/use,
Idk about otherprograms.
>>
My process is that I sit down and make sick tunes and on the seventh day I rest.
>>
>>48590801
Holy shit that looks crazy man, can tell you've been using it for so long

>>48590825
Does anything in particular 'inspire' you? or is it every now and then a melody comes into your head or something like that

>>48590843
The interface and general use of the program is more straight forward than other programs. I kinda take back what I said because actually you can pretty much do the same things as more complicated programs but in my experience it doesnt seem as in depth.
>>
I'll start off by snorting a footlong line of coke. I'll then drive off to the local nightclub and take a 2 hour field recording of the environment. I'll then go back home, snort another footlong line of coke, and study and listen to it i for 2 hours ntensively, taking notes on the most interesting noises I hear. I will then take these notes over to my studio, hire veteren session musicians that live on my same street on speed dial at around 5 - 6 AM, smoke lots of weed and take LSD, and try to create the closest live imitation of that 2 hour recording using whatever instruments they brought. We then smoke more weed, watch Finding Nemo, and listen to the recording that we made. If it isn't perfect, we try again until it is. If the results are satisfactory, I label it as a 2 hour post rock record and we ship out a rough recording to my friend Frank Gill in Miami, who mixes it and edits it until it sounds nearly identical to the original field recording. I then pay Pitchfork Media $10'000 to heavily promote the record and give it a 10/10. Finally I only release 10 super limited edition vinyl copies of the record for $5'000 each on eBay, where they sell out instetaniousy.
>>
>>48591097
10/10 kek
>>
i start with the kick then other drums then i work on the synth then build the height of the song then arrange it
>>
>>48590919
>Does anything in particular 'inspire' you?
Interviews, especially with people like Prefuse 73 or Flying Lotus who have a really inventive production style, even if I know I won't be able to replicate what they do.
>or is it every now and then a melody comes into your head or something like that
No, but I'm thinking of doing a mathy psych thing and I've just been messing around on my guitar/bass and building stuff around a short phrase.
>>48590801
Do you have a Soundcloud?
>>
>>48591175
thats a great idea thanks :)
>mathy psych
sounds interesting, whats your sc?
>>
>>48591175
All I need is freebase coke, weed, lsd, and Finding Nemo.
>>
>>48589881
think of an environment, comfy, harsh, sparse, dirty,
then try and incorporate the harmonic/rhythmic ideas I've particularly liked in my recent listening.
>>
>>48591297
interdasting, I like your idea but before I can emulate an environment I need to understand synthesis a little more so I can create some unique sounds
>>
>>48591175
https://soundcloud.com/psllbof/sets/best-shit

Everything is made on FL, except "Trench"
>>
>>48591220
Don't have Soundcloud anymore, I have Bandcamp at cashew.bandcamp.com
>>48591232
>Finding Nemo
YES.
>>
>>48591419
what DAW do you use?
>>
>>48591428
also sweet you a britfag too, where in UK you from?
>>
>>48591411
I'm listening to One. The lyrics aren't too amazing but your voice is lovely, your harmonies especially. I like the murky production as well, it has a great atmosphere overall. What's with the bagpipes and drums at the end?
>>48591428
FL Studio.
>>
>>48591449
Bagpipes are from East West RA (Running through Play4 VST) Snare is from East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra.

Yeah lyrics in that piece aren't my best work. Tried to keep it nice though, had to delete many sections that went to crazy/didn't fit the aesthetic
>>
>>48591473
Sounds interesting. It's be interesting to listen to the track you posted in the thread.
>>48591442
Highlands.
>>
>>48591577
"Dark Thought"
Its there. Took a long time to finish that one. wordsetting and recording vocals was a bitch.
>>
>>48591612
Not a fan of the little arp thing in the background but your vocals are really nice again and the atmosphere is great.
>>
I'm pretty new to this production thing. I do rock/metal stuff mostly.
> writing
Start out with an idea and build song sections based on that idea. Or if I have several riffs that could sit well together, I try to make them flow.
Write stuff down on tuxguitar (fuck guitarpro)
Recording
> Bass (MIDI)
> Basic feel of the drums (also MIDI)
> At least two guitar tracks (always dry signal)
> Edit the drums parts to be more fun and shit
> synths and layers
Mixing/Production
> Add fx to instruments, fixing the tone
> humanize programmed MIDI
> send instruments to busses if needed
> subtractive EQ
> levels
> additive EQ
> sometimes I write additional stuff even when I'm already mixing

Mastering
> slight comp
> EQ
> try to add a little bit of reverb to give a realistic "recorded in a room" feel

> tfw all the gear I have is my guitar, my PC and my interface
> I don't even have a mic and decent monitors
>>
>>48591654
can you please explain 'humanizing' the midi? Also why do you do subtractive eq before doing additive eq? thanks
>>
>>48591689
Humanizing so it won't sound robotic. It's basically randomly altering the velocities and positions of the midi notes

Subtractive first so that tracks occupy different parts of the frequency spectrum (is that what you call it?) so that they won't get muddy

And then I do additive to emphasize the qualities of those tracks.
>>
about half the time i'll start with loading up a guitar track and putting it in a fucky tuning and then putting it in some really awkward time signature. then i pick some notes to use for a scale, and write a few lines until i get one that flows. i'll often get about 2-4 phrases down, the move on to the bass track. once i have a few more ideas with the lead and bass going, i'll get started on some drums. i find if i get too far ahead with one track it's hard to remember the feel. once i'm past 2 minutes of music, i'll start doing extra tracks and shit.
otherwise about a third of the time i start with the bass and it goes pretty much the same way. the rest of the time i'm really baked or something and just do some big old chord for a bit and the fuck around with random shit in that key. i'll usually be fiddling with effects/eq throughout, i've written songs that started out really harsh and like, then i took all the distortion off. only to add it all back on later.
so i can take it off at the end again. although most of the time i go for a light gritty feel throughout.
>>
any suggestions for a good free software?
>>
>>48592507
ngiga just pirate shit
>>
>>48589881

looking to get into production, should i go ableton or logic? any hardware you'd suggest? ive never made electronic music, but I'm a grade 8 guitarist if that means anything
>>
I jam with guitar for a long time and record it, then see what is decent and arrange it so it sounds like music.
What software for Windows would you recommend me to make music?
>>
>>48591650
chur holmes. Yeah my friend says the whole beat is wrong in that song... meh. I like the different-ness of it.
Synth and Duduk and dulcimer is a wierd combination
>>
>>48589881
usually ill start writing a line like a bass or a drum rack and then variate it until its interesting enough and has enough character(with filters/eq whatever) and then find noises that compliment it(several octaves lower or higher/harmonic qualities) and then visualize some sort of aesthetic or purpose for the tones, if it sounds really bland ill max the input on slate tape deck vst(good vst btw) or something, its all experimentation and trial and error
>>
>>48592507
Reaper. Never used it but some relatively successful edm peeps do. [citation needed]
>>
>>48590801
FUCK. I remember playing around with the fruity loops demo and shit. enjoyed that more than cakewalk, which is where i got the demo. only reason i didn't stick with it was cuz my computer was shitty. but now i have a new computer, and now i'm downloading cuz you inspired me
>>
>>48593860
Torrent FL Studio 11 if you can. Shit's solid as fuck.
>>
>>48589881
1 - steal other people's original music

2 - chop it up, change the tempo, rearrange it chronologically like a Quentin Tarantino movie

3 - add muh effects to it

4 - throw in some samples of bitches saying dumb shit that I stole from a different person's original creation

5 - mix it down, use lots of sidechain compression

6 - call it my own, or if i'm even slightly humble call it a "remix"

7 - i am creative too just like all the creative people
>>
I pirated ableton but every few days it says I have to authorize even though I already did with the patch. Wat do? Also, I think starting with ableton might be the wrong path. What are some simple, cheap DAWs that aren't fl studio?
>>
>>48591654
> try to add a little bit of reverb to give a realistic "recorded in a room" feel

You reverb the master track? Doesn't that make the sub/bass frequencies muddy?
>>
File: dr-drum-comparison-chart.jpg (200KB, 816x861px) Image search: [Google]
dr-drum-comparison-chart.jpg
200KB, 816x861px
>>48595239
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPV8c9rVQpg
>>
>>48595801
Wtf is with that picture. They're acting like EQ and panning are fucking selling points
>>
Been "producing" since 2011 [well, Magix Music Maker's synths and "beatbox" started it all], since end of 2012, I am working with Ableton.
My music still sounds kind of amateur-ish due to experimenting, experimenting, and trying to find my very own sound / ignoring conventional ways to work and important mastering processes; I am currently trying to work on that.
There are different writing processes for me.
1) Take a sample. Mess around with it somehow, distort it or make it original another way [FX]. Add drums, probably synths etc.
2) Composition via a piano synth [MIDI -> computer keyboard] although I don't own/play any instruments. Then I program a synth to it, sometimes it's the other way around, though...
3) ANYTHING, most of the time, I just experiment with everything, sometimes there's an initial idea.
I am kind of proud of some of my work (1/7 demos),but I never REALLY manage to finish one, although I've been working on it for several months...
Do you guys have realizable tips for me? Is perfectionism the death of a producer / composer?
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.