[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pop Punk is the future of Punk, both artistically and commercially.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1375095119490.jpg (33KB, 500x673px) Image search: [Google]
1375095119490.jpg
33KB, 500x673px
Pop Punk is the future of Punk, both artistically and commercially. Discuss.
>>
Uhhhh. Post-Punk was the PAST of punk. Now it's just kind of a relic. Like punk.
>>
>>47087729
hah i get it it's cobain.
>>
commercially, yes. artistically, god no. I would gladly read whatever justification you have to pull out your ass for that though.

The Refused had the right idea, and that is why punk is essentially over apart from the underground treading water.
>>
File: Blink-182-Enema-of-the-State.jpg (125KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Blink-182-Enema-of-the-State.jpg
125KB, 1024x1024px
>>47087729
you're a decade or two late (pic related)

>>47087822
punk's still huge, especially in the indie realm. Garage Punk is doing great, Post-Hardcore is doing great, the hardcore scene is going strong.
Post-Punk has nothing to do with anything in this thread, but a lot of the sadcore, "post-rock", lo-fi goth, and indie bands of today are basically just post-punk. Plus there's, you know, an entire post-punk revival
>>
>>47087921
> underground treading water
how is the underground just treading water? Underground music is bigger and more accessible now than ever before, and the indie punk scene is doing great
>>
>>47087939
>garage punk is doing great
If you like p4k buzzbands, maybe. garage was dead and buried before it began
>Post-Hardcore is doing great
If you like "new sincerity" tumblr trash.
>hardcore scene
in its own insular and well-worn language, maybe
>post-punk revival
embarrassing
>>
>>47087939
the only punk that's really still active is folk punk
>>
>>47087965
there hasn't been a defining punk record for a long time; there's been amazing punk inflected albums like the new White Suns, but nothing for punk to call its own. it isn't as if there's no room to try exciting new things in the punk format
>>
>tfw I feel pretty heavily to some pop punk
it's sad, i know, but man some of them lyrics really get to you
>>
>>47088009
>the only punk that's really still active is folk punk
you got to be kidding me
>>
Punk had to happen when it did, but now it's unnecessary.
>>
>>47088154
well what other pun is active right now? post-hardcore, maybe, but i don't really pay attention to that genre.
>>
>>47088024
The Monitor is probably one of the big ones i'd say.
>>
Honestly, classic 90's/early days of Pop Punk stuff is really great. If you stay away from the Myspace era and such, there's some really great stuff.
>tfw I like emo and pop/punk but like listening to pop/punk more
>>
>>47088188
hardcore, powerviolence, crust, grindcore, and post-hardcore are all active
>>
>>47087875
... not cobain
>>
>>47088188
Post-punk, hardcore punk, crust punk, emo, post-hardcore, screamo, name them all

you're just a fool who doesn't know what he's talking about
>>
>>47088009
that's bullshit. You really have no idea

>>47087984
So you admit that all those scenes/genres are alive and thriving, but you dismiss them because you dislike them. I'm fine with you disliking them, but it's kind of irrelevant to the topic.

>>47088024
it's pretty nit-picky to the punk-style bands nowadays aren't really punk bands. I assume by "punk format" you mean the Ramones/Sex Pistols/UK82 3 chord shout style, but that strict definition has never actually aligned with what was going in the punk scene. Of the early bands that defined punk, Patti Smith was putting beat poetry over garage rock, Television was incorporating jazz, Richard Hell & The Voidoids had free jazz influenced instrumentation, Talking Heads had an intense minimalist style, Blondie was a pop group, The Damned and The Cramps incorporated gothic horror elements to garage rock, Pere Ubu and DNA incorporated avant-garde noise and unconventional structures, Alternative TV experimented a lot and Subway Sect was semi-lounge . . .
>>
Please, green day killed punk
>>
>>47088294
they are alive as scenes, but that does not mean that they are thriving artistically - meaning producing lasting work that is different from past bands.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.