[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to all you cool guys who were making games? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Cheerilee's_house_MLP_Game.png (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Cheerilee's_house_MLP_Game.png
2MB, 2048x1536px
What happened to all you cool guys who were making games?

What happened to game design general or something?

I started learning programming and I wanted to use Javascript and create something! God damn it why did you all leave!?
>>
Some quit, some still work on it, but don't post every single update because this place can be a time sucker if you're not careful.
>>
> learning programming
> Javascript

Urgh.
>>
>>25996006
Making games is hard. Rather just play em
>>
>>25996098
>not liking javascript
>not wanting a beginner to learn a high level language
>not wanting a beginner to be forced to understand callbacks and asynchronous code
>>>/g/
>>
did that flutterrape game ever get finished?
>>
>>25996006
>Javascript
You might as well give up
>>
>>25996679
Javascript is a web based language, it's not used for software development.
>>
>>25996006
>JS.
Bah, I'm actually tring to replace that horrid Non-Canon Canterlot Castle map on the GMod Workshop. Sad part is I'll have to get Texture Designers, custom Mappers, etc. for such a thing to occour, and man sources to confirm the Castle Design instead of.... What we have on workshop. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386891553
Personally want to have some others who are experienced in Source/Hammer help me out, but I can already bet there's almost nobody here who gives a shit about maps.
>>
>>25996679
Rule n°1 of dev : stuff only matter if you actually finish your project someday.

If a beginner seriously want to create a game, he will have to use a game engine. Right now, it mean either Unreal (and C++), or Unity (and C#).

I strongly recommend Unity.
>>
Answer's in your pic OP, no one can make money from it unless they're soulless corporations charging stupid amounts of money to progress any faster than "might finish the first quest in about 3 years"
>>
>>25996969
Haven't you heard? Javascript isn't just for the web anymore! You should write all your server code in node.js - it's what the cool kids are doing! Also, it's faster than C because it uses an event loop! WEBSCALE!
>>
>>25997099
But its data transfer rate in an hour is more than three weeks of Source Online Engine play.
I rigged up around 100 Gigs in a fucking week on JS.
Source still has under 10 in a week.
>>
File: poker face.png (144KB, 612x553px) Image search: [Google]
poker face.png
144KB, 612x553px
>>25996724
This.

There was a guy here asking for music suggestions for an interesting game he was almost done with where you bring Flutterbutter to orgasm in her sleep. Did that ever get finished?
>>
>>25997123
What the hell are you talking about? Javascript is a language, not a game engine. Languages don't have a "data transfer rate", programs do.
>>
>>25997181
Minecraft is build in JS.
Minecraft is a game.
Minecraft sucks balls, but still runs JS.
>>
What happened to Equestria Divided?
>>
>>25997203
>Minecraft is build in JS.
Java and Javascript are not at all the same thing. Literally the only connection is the name, which Javascript used only because Java was popular at the time.

And regardless, languages don't have any kind of inherent bandwidth usage. They just provide a way to access the network, the bandwidth consumption depends entirely on what the program decides to do with that network access functionality. If Minecraft eats up lots of bandwidth, that's because Minecraft's network protocol is badly designed.
>>
>>25997243
Thank you for telling me. I mainly try to learn Source Engine, since the mapping can be quite fun. The Physics need a bit of reworking, but I feel it can be easily achieved with a few variable changes.
And yes, I'm the >>25997000 faggot.
>>
Still waiting for underworld Cello.
>>
>>25997203
> Not knowing the difference between Java and JavaScript.

Minecraft itself is built in Java. It only use JavaScript for user-created stuff (like modding).
>>
File: ohman.jpg (29KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
ohman.jpg
29KB, 250x249px
>>25997318
Like I said in >>25997276 , I only work in Source.
I don't fuck with Java or JS.
>>
File: hb-select.png (34KB, 1327x1006px) Image search: [Google]
hb-select.png
34KB, 1327x1006px
>>25996006
OP, I actually have a half-written game in Javascript that I've been too busy lately to finish. Basically you have two teams of 1-3 players that fight. You get different abilities depending on whether you pick earth/unicorn/pegasus.

I'll try to put up what I have so far so you can check it out and see if you're interested.
>>
File: HarmonyBakingProto.png (3KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
HarmonyBakingProto.png
3KB, 512x448px
>>25996006
Looks like complete shit right now but the mechanics are working
>>
>>25997920
"Harmony Baking"? What's it about?
>>
>>25997936
Harmony is a collection of minigames based off the Mane 6. Baking is one of Pinkie's. You have to get ingredients into the bowl in the right order, mix it, then bake.
>>
>>25997956
>there will never be a source 2
Do you actually live under a rock or something?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.