[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's with people calling super robot shows made after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: animecourtyard.com-gaogaigar-7.jpg (585KB, 1360x1350px) Image search: [Google]
animecourtyard.com-gaogaigar-7.jpg
585KB, 1360x1350px
What's with people calling super robot shows made after a certain period a homage? I see this a lot specifically with GaoGaiGar and TTGL. Are super robot shows just not allowed to exist on their own merit after the mid 80s?
>>
>>13870781
Nowadays (at least in the US), most people can only accept dynamic, colorful and upbeat entertainment as "lol so cheesy so bad its good xd", leading them to label GGG, TTGL etc. as parodies.
>>
>>13870781
wait how the fuck is GGG a homage of anything? If anything GGG is just your average brave show, it's not homagin anything
>>
>>13870781
TTGL is quite literally a homage to Getter Robo, and it's not ashamed of it.

GGG Is just a brave show, it's very similar to J-Decker and Might Gaine
>>
Because people who don't know much about anime and mechs in particular think Evangelion was a massive breakthrough that changed the face of mecha forever, and that every show that came after was either aping its success or nostalgia for a simpler time.

Instead of, you know, both kiddy and edgy stuff coexisting since forever. If anything Eva had more impact on the cute girls side of anime since it made Teh Rei and clones popular.
>>
>>13870781
While I can mostly blame TV Tropes for this, it's because the vast majority of the more colorful mecha shows never got brought to the US. It's a miracle that Raijin-Oh even came out in recent years.
>>
>>13870814
Maybe once all the Brave series is subbed, we'll start getting subs for Eldran as well.
>>
>>13870815
Hopefully so, Silver Castle seem poised to do the 90s right now.
>>
If it's new and fun, it's an homage.
If it's new and depressing, it's a deconstruction.
>>
>>13870817
>a deconstruction of homages
>>
>>13870781
Yes literally nothing can stand on it's own anymore it's always the new X or the Y but with Z
and the ever popular it's a parody/deconstruction of G
>>
>>13870781
You do realize both the director, and writer of TTGL refer to it as such right?
>>
I think TTGL's case, that was the point but in the case of GaoGaiGar, they're just being (probably) unintentionally uninformed as to what other super robot shows were like at the time, or even if they knew it was part of the Brave series at all

I never see anybody call stuff that came out in the early 00s like Gravion or Godannar or Rahxephon called as homages though
>>
>>13870898
I've seen people say that about Godannar once or twice. Rahxephon, meanwhile, has the EVA RIPOFF crowd to deal with.
>>
>>13870905
>Rahxephon, meanwhile, has the EVA RIPOFF crowd to deal with.
One of them was Mamoru Oshii, which got Izubuchi flustered
>>
Since this is a thinly-veiled Brave topic, I think it's the right time to post this:
https://msubsreleases.(word on a press).com/2016/02/13/goldran-26/
Seems that Sasword is picking up the pace somehow, lately.
>>
Well, part of the issue is probably that these shows all have very similar elements. As much as I love "super robot," (for whatever that term is worth), it's a samey genre. I can't deny it.

>>13870898
>Godannar
The enemy monsters are literally referred to as kikaiju in the Japanese original and there is a character named "Kouji Tetsuya," voiced by Guy. If that isn't a homage, I don't know what is
>>
>>13870973
The monsters in Godannar are called Gitaijuu ("mimetic beast").
>>
>>13870814
I have to really hand it to Anime Midstream for managing to get all of Raijin Oh out on DVD. Hell, they even gave the first half an amateurish yet oddly enjoyable dub. I hope they give another Eldran or maybe even one of the older Braves a shot next.
>>
>>13871009
I did hear from George/LordGeo's blog that they might go after the rest of Eldran in the future (subs-only), but we'll see.
>>
>>13870905
>>13870911
Rahxephon is basically a Raideen remake under an eva coat of paint. Yet people just seem to focus on its eva-like aspects, sadly.
>>
>>13871032
Well contrast how many people have seen Eva to how many have seen Raideen. Especially in the generation that usually does the "eva ripoff" routine.
>>
>>13871037
Not to mention that Starseeker is taking a while to finish Raideen, not helped by being annoyed by a particular episode turning her off.
>>
>>13871037
Yeah but you'd think people here would at least know that. But maybe we just got too many newfags these days.
>>
>>13871032
Can you really blame them with shit like Haruka coming to take Ayato away from Tokyo Jupiter coming off almost scene for scene like the beginning of the first episode of Eva?
>>
>>13871032
Eh? I'd say that the "Raideen" part is the actual coat of pant. Raideen is to RahXephon what religious symbolism is to Eva.
>>
>>13871032
>Rahxephon is basically a Raideen remake under an eva coat of pain
FUCKING THIS
>>
>>13870781
GGG is just a mecha show. It does have some passing homages, though. But what doesn't?

TTGL is a legit homage to 1970s works and more specifically Getter Robo/Ken Ishikawa, as confirmed by the series writer.

Evangelion is Anno regurgitating some of his favorite stuff but with sexualized 14 year old girls.
>>
>>13871203
>evafags
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.