[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

G Gundam, Giant Robo, Shin Mazinger, Tetsujin 28 2004. Why is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1694016-g_gundam_41_44_77.jpg (41KB, 630x472px) Image search: [Google]
1694016-g_gundam_41_44_77.jpg
41KB, 630x472px
G Gundam, Giant Robo, Shin Mazinger, Tetsujin 28 2004.

Why is Imagawa the true successor to Tomino, and not that Nagano hack?
>>
Nobody is tomino's successor, Imagawa was rejected by the industry and Nagano refused to take part entirely

the lack of powerful egos in anime is why its devolved to shit, nobody left is willing to take the backers by the balls and make a unified narrative vision anymore
>>
Nah, they both have their own little oddities which they seem to like.
>>
>>13863467
>Imagawa was rejected by the industry
Says who?
>>
>>13863480
Imagawa is still in the industry. I don't know what makes you think that he's out of it.

He worked on Gifuu Doudou, Washimo and last year, Durarara x2.
>>
File: tomino-nagano-marriage.jpg (116KB, 600x762px) Image search: [Google]
tomino-nagano-marriage.jpg
116KB, 600x762px
>>13863467
>Why is Imagawa the true successor to Tomino, and not that Nagano hack?

Imagawa's directing style is -nothing- like Tomino's. Comparing them as directors is a disservice to both. His relationship with Tomino is more or less the same as Fukuda's. That is, Tomino taught them both the fundamentals of how to direct (i.e. making storyboards), but they both went about and did things their own way.

Nagano is Tomino's true protege in that their relationship is literally that of a father and son. You never see Imagawa or Fukuda even talk to Tomino nowadays, but Nagano went so far as to place Tomino's name as a singular "special thanks" in Gothicmade's end credits, and Tomino was even the matchmaker for Nagano's wedding. The only other people in the anime industry I know of who have this same type of relationship are Anno and Miyazaki.

>>13863489
>Imagawa is still in the industry. I don't know what makes you think that he's out of it.

Yeah, but he doesn't get the same level of funding that he used to. That Mazinger OVA was the nail in the coffin for those types of projects for him since it sold like shit.

That and he's known for using money as toilet paper has made him very unpopular compared to how he was 20 years ago.
>>
>>13863555
>Imagawa's directing style is -nothing- like Tomino's.
Are you sure about that? He did direct the first episode of Zeta.

>Nagano went so far as to place Tomino's name
Imagawa mentions Tomino a lot in his interviews.

>That Mazinger OVA was the nail in the coffin
Imagawa never worked on a Mazinger OVA.

>That and he's known for using money as toilet paper has made him very unpopular
I've never seen a source for this; just speculations.
>>
>>13864277
>Are you sure about that? He did direct the first episode of Zeta.

One episode is not indicative of his overall style. You might as well say Araki's directing style is like Tomino's because he directed one episode of G-Reco. G-Gundam, Giant Robo, Tetsujin, are all very distinct works that are all very different from anything Tomino has ever done.

>>Nagano went so far as to place Tomino's name
>Imagawa mentions Tomino a lot in his interviews.

I've only seen him mentioned once, hell even Fukuda mentions him in more interviews than those of Imagawa. I've also never found a single picture of Imagawa and Tomino next to each other.

>>That Mazinger OVA was the nail in the coffin
>Imagawa never worked on a Mazinger OVA.

TV series, no point in sweating the small details.

>>That and he's known for using money as toilet paper has made him very unpopular
>I've never seen a source for this; just speculations.

I could give you sales numbers like in this thread as just one of the more recent instances:

http://4chandata.org/m/Let039s-talk-about-Shin-Mazinger--a616964

but you'll probably claim they're bullshit. Regardless, Imagawa's tendency to go over budget and have massive flops has been well-documented. Why else do you think it took 8 years to finish Giant Robo, with the last episode being delayed for -years-?
>>
>>13864652
>Imagawa's tendency to go over budget and have massive flops has been well-documented.
No. Stop moving the goalpost. You said his use of money made him very unpopular. That's not the same thing at all.

>Why else do you think it took 8 years to finish Giant Robo, with the last episode being delayed for -years-?
His father died. That said, it was a big budget ova from the start. Shin Mazinger was obviously done on a small budget. Can't complain here.

>I could give you sales numbers like in this thread as just one of the more recent instances:
What? Why do you need to give me numbers? What the fuck? TV series and OVAs aren't "small details". They're huge as fuck differences.

>I've also never found a single picture of Imagawa and Tomino next to each other.
So? What the fuck are you on about? Somehow pictures mean absolutely everything to a master - student relationship?

You're just sperging bullshit at every stop at the moment. I suggest you take a step back and proof read your posts.
>>
>>13864652
Also, by the way. I know you brought up numbers even when it had nothing to do with my point. Let me just tell you one thing. You will never know whether Shin Mazinger is a flop or not. Never.

Numbers don't mean shit, because there are so many variables at play. You don't even know how much the total project costs, you don't even know how much the marketing costs, and now you're telling me bullshit about how Shin Mazinger is a flop? You have no way of knowing that.

Dynamic Pro's anime projects haven't fared that much better or worse since New Getter and guess what? They're STILL producing new anime.

Studio Bee Media and Code are still there. They never went under. You'll have to do better than post numbers to prove that the show was a flop since you almost forgot that Dynamic Pro rely a lot on merchandise as well.

I'm not telling you it's a success, because I don't know, just the same way you have nothing to show for that it was a flop. Nothing. Zilch.
>>
>>13863555
That's one pretty qt waifu.
Tomino is a miracle worker indeed.
>>
>>13864836
Not only that, having two daughters to boot.

>>13864824
Adding to that, the recent Cyborg 009 Vs. Devilman crossover supposedly did well, but they're in no hurry to do a sequel for it.
>>
>>13864652
>>13864807
Holy fucking shit Imagawafags sure know how to sperg.
>>
>>13864807
>So? What the fuck are you on about? Somehow pictures mean absolutely everything to a master - student relationship?

No, my point is that you need more than just having Imagawa say "Tomino is my teacher" in one interview to demonstrate that they have an active, close relationship as master and disciple. From what I can see Imagawa isn't any closer to Tomino than Fukuda or even Oshii. Nagano and Tomino have had so much documented material together with each other you would have to be a living under a rock to deny their closeness. Tomino had a -LOT- of disciples. Anyone working with Sunrise in the 80's learned something from him. But Nagano is the one of the few that to this day, he still treats as a close friend, and Nagano feels the same way.

>budget rant

I don't give a FUCK what your reasons are, the matter of fact is that Imagawa has complained in multiple interviews that he never gets the budgets that he wants "anymore". Bartender, Mazinger, etc, all have that problem. He's even said many times that he's surprised that Giant Robo was so popular in the west when it wasn't at all back in Japan. Regardless, I don't need specific numbers to say that Imagawa is terrible with money, because many people in his situation have done better in even more dire circumstances (i.e. Ikuhara and Anno).
>>
>>13864901
To put it blunty, Tomino has never publicly acknowledged Imagawa like he has with Anno.
>>
>>13864916
>Anno

Nagano, I mean.

Though he does have a friendly relationship with Anno too, strangely enough.
>>
>>13864901
The point is that Imagawa would be a better successor to Tomino, not that Nagano is closer to him.

>I don't give a FUCK what your reasons are, the matter of fact is that Imagawa has complained in multiple interviews that he never gets the budgets that he wants "anymore".
Because the shows he works on have little chance to succeed from the start.

Again, you have yet to prove that he's unpopular for his budget. Cite me a source or something.
>>
>>13864964
>The point is that Imagawa would be a better successor to Tomino, not that Nagano is closer to him.

In what way? If we're talking about the style of their works, Imagawa's are nothing like Tomino's. Tomino's "successors" is pretty much anyone who has been influenced by his work, which is to say, a LOT of people. Even then, being a protege and being a successor are two very different things.

>Again, you have yet to prove that he's unpopular for his budget. Cite me a source or something.

You're never going to find a source that says "Imagawa is unpopular for his budget", in fact you'll never find any officially sanctioned slander like that for anyone working in the anime industry, so of course I can't give you a source on that.

From what I can see from Imagawa's slew of interviews though, is that he has a tendency to always complain about budgets and production committees. So he always makes it sound like he doesn't have enough money, or that his shows are low-budget. Which is visibly true in a lot of cases (i.e. Bartender), but in others (G), he's just being silly. It's not that his shows are low-budget, he's just not very good with money. Which makes sense given how meticulous he is. And in any kind of industry, if you're better at losing money than gaining it, then that won't bode well for your future works.
>>
>>13864994
>Imagawa's are nothing like Tomino's.
Neither is Nagano's. I meant successor, not plagiarist.

>So he always makes it sound like he doesn't have enough money
He wants to make shows with huge budgets, like Gundam. Not that he's unpopular with production committees.
>>
>>13865008
>Neither is Nagano's. I meant successor, not plagiarist.

I wouldn't call Nagano Tomino's successor either, but he did learn a lot from him. He figured out how to start his own mecha franchise, and took careful measures to make sure that it would not become like Gundam, because he saw how much Tomino got screwed over by it in addition to his own personal experiences. Imagawa hasn't established that level of freedom yet and seems to still be under the shadow of Dynamic Pro.

Being a successor would imply that said successor would want to carry out the message of his predecessor, much like what Ghibli has failed to do with Miyazaki. Nagano and Imagawa clearly want to do things differently.

If we're talking about successors in that regard, Tomino's successors would be Anno and Kawamori, two people who founded massive mecha franchises that are still very popular to this day.

>He wants to make shows with huge budgets, like Gundam. Not that he's unpopular with production committees.

And because of that he often goes over budget and time. I don't speak for production committees but if anyone did something like that the last on my mind would be to give them more money.
>>
>>13863467
Tomino/Takahashi successors are Nobuyoshi Habara and Kou Matsuo.
>>
>>13865241
>Habara
Fafner is more from Tow Ubukata's influence than his, though.
>>
>>13863467
>successor to Tomino

Huh? Imagawa is actually good though
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.