[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you have such a hateboner for CGI /m/? Not every studio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 590412.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
590412.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Why do you have such a hateboner for CGI /m/?

Not every studio is Sunrise and can do all their mecha in mecha shows in regular 2D. And whenever there might be a good series with decent CGI, you just say it looks like a video game cutscene
>>
Because we all want a return of the Golden Age of /m/. The 80s/early 90s. When budgets be damned! Every mecha/cyberpunk anime was drawn and shaded like a movie or OVA.
>>
>>13843042
>Every mecha/cyberpunk anime was drawn and shaded like a movie or OVA.
But that's wrong.
>>
Kids these days are spoiled by major Hollywood productions and their million dollar CG effects.

If you care more about the visuals than the quality of the story you really have no reason to discuss it at all.

It's probably the same people who only pay attention during the combat scenes.
>>
>>13843046
I think that was a joke. I hope it was.
>>
>>13843042
>Every mecha/cyberpunk anime was drawn and shaded like a movie or OVA.
I know this is sarcasm(?) but thinking like this is part of the problem
>>
>>13843061
It's just newfag stupidity anyway. The ones that think like this will either learn better or move on from /m/ once they get bored of watching Bubblegum Crisis over and over. Then new newfags will replace them. Only Otaking stays this delusilional about shading, but at least he does something productive with it.
>>
I can't come up with a decent response due to your overwhelming shit taste for shows like Majestic Fagboy.
>>
>>13843033
If you can't do your best then don't even try
>>
>>13843033
I see it less as a hatred of CGI and an expectation of what the medium should be. 3D animation has its place, and it can be truly great, but it feels somewhat fraudulent to sell it off as traditional animation. Worse yet, look at what increasing 3D animation has done to the US animation market. Fewer and fewer shows are even animated in traditional 2D animation (tweened animation, ala Flash, doesn't count), and 2D movies are effectively dead. It's not just about thinking one is better than the other, it's that an entire art style is in danger of becoming lost. What's astonishing is that budgets aren't even necessarily the reason (good CGI is still expensive). Japan has enough cultural appreciation for 2D animation that it will probably be around for a long time, but again, look at the US. It's practically unwanted.

That animators (globally) are paid peanuts doesn't help, and many of the best key animators are sure to die out at point. Look up most animators in charge of mecha animation today, and you'll find they've been in the business for decades. How often do you see new talent? It happens (Se Jun Kim comes to mind), but it's not frequent enough that we can keep animating mecha in 2D.
>>
>>13843088
Obari's episodes may be some of the best animated in bubblegum crisis but in terms of story and overall direction they were he worst
>>
>>13843101
Majestic Prince was really great and not homo at all though
>>
>>13843102
>If you can't do your best then don't even try
That doesn't make sense considering the endless bitching if the latest Gundam show has even one frame out of place, it's trolled for QUALITY
>>
>>13843033
Because most of the time it looks like absolute shit.
>>
>>13843111
Don't be so quick to diss Flash, while it suffers from the Flash look in a lot of cartoons, there's the occasional (*cough*Motorcity*cough) work that manages to escape that problem and turn out visually stunning.

At the end of the day, it has to do with passion; not every piece of animation is made with the intent to be visually memorable, but every so often you get those projects oozing with passion that remind you people exist that want to push any given technology to its limit.
>>
>>13843145
Even when it doesn't it's still criticized just for being CG. It's like you think every studio can animate like Pixar or something
>>
>>13843033
If used incorrectly, which most are, it looks really jarring and not that good.
>>
>>13843147
The problem with Flash is that you can make good stuff with it, but it requires effort. And if they use Flash in the first place, it's usually with the intent to save time and money, so it ends up looking like crap. Motorcity and Ankama's shows are just about the only exceptions.

Do note however that a cheap show will look cheap no matter the medium. Hand drawn shit is just as bad as CGI shit or Flash shit, just in a different way. But Flash also has the stigma of all those terrible amateur videos you could find on Newgrounds and similar sites.
>>
>>13843152
Because in order for CG to look good it has to be insanely high budget. In which case it would be better to just spend that on 2D
>>
In terms of CG... it depends.

I liked some of the plot lines explored in IGLOO, but when it came to the action scenes, I was unimpressed.
>>
>>13843335
But then you get to the matter of 2D anime having lots of QUALITY and stock footage. Or at least that's the perceived notion
>>
>>13843325
Hence "passion."

A tool is a tool. You shouldn't blame the tool when it's wielded without skill, nor praise the tool for masterful execution. It's a tool, it is up to the one using the tool to achieve greatness with it.
>>
>>13843033
I don't hate CGI.

I hate bad, out-of-place CGI.
>>
>>13843355
And I think that's an argument that makes sense but it seems like any form of CGI at all will trigger people here and they won't watch it (but they will sometimes) and compare it to video game cutscenes.

I mean I seriously can't think of an anime that the CG didn't get shit on at all, not even a movie
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59KB, 960x720px
we went from this
>>
>>13843376
to this
>>
File: 02%2BAmuro%2Bsees%2BZaku.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
02%2BAmuro%2Bsees%2BZaku.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>13843376
No you went from this
>>
>>13843368
The Iron Giant doesn't get much crap
>>
It often looks out of place against 2D even with good shaders, especially if both move in one shot. This is even worse when what is 2D and 3D is inconsistent

It can cause a sort of weightlessness to battles which is a huge problem with mechs

Good 2D animation will always be more impressive
>>
>>13843386
I'm talking about anime
>>
So far I haven't seen CG mechs in any anime that looks better than "fine". That and it's jarring when used alongside 2D, and so far there hasn't been a purely CG show that manages to not look like shit either.
>>
>>13843495
>So far I haven't seen CG mechs in any anime that looks better than "fine"
It'd be alright if any CG mech was admitted to be "fine" but the sentiment I see is that if it's CG at all it's automatically awful
>>
Because the framerates are shit and the filters they put over most scenes to soften things out are even worse. They put all this time and effort and money into a style that's harder to watch than a blasted video game cutscene. Shit's physically painful to watch at some points, no joke.
>>
I love knights of sidonia's cgi. It looks good because it fits the world, and the whole series has some nice aesthetics. The animation studio behind it also did transformers prime and the star wars cgi series so they know about good cgi. Idk about you guys but that's the best cgi in anime I've seen.
>>
>>13843508
Really too bad S2 of that show completely shit the bed
>>
>>13843384
That looks better.

Both still and in motion.

Though that might be because Origin's CG is above average and they actually take advantage of it to choreograph more complex battle sequences (at least in the intro.)
>>
>>13843033
>Not every studio is Sunrise and can do all their mecha in mecha shows in regular 2D.

I think you mean Bones, Sunrise only does half of their shows in 2D, if even that.
>>
>>13843495
Yukikaze?
>>
>>13843111

Part of it is how utterly worthless modern art schooling in the US at least is. They people the system trains are essentially unemployable in their own field, which is reflected by the fact that only ~10% of art graduates end up employed in their field, and only 16% of people employed in arts have art degrees.

sauce: http://temporaryartreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/bfamfaphd_artistsreportback2014.pdf

The only people who can go about making a serious animated project without relying very heavily on flash are a bunch of ancient old men.

And practically the only people who can go about making a serious animated project in flash are French.
>>
>>13844064
>french
Like the guys behind wakfu? Who would have thought that the French would make better anime than Japan. dammit I can't post my webms of the show since half of them are sound and the other half too large.
>>
File: 1395395229728.jpg (226KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1395395229728.jpg
226KB, 1920x1080px
Only a few troll or delusional autist have a rageboner for CGI. Everybody else know how the technology is a good thing for animation as a whole. Most of those high-budget OAV we take as example used CG.
It won't keep those guy from trying to pass their dislike as some universal truth.

Still, I thing we would have less of those haters if the current market wasn't so centered around child with Attention Deficit Disorder (the main cause for shit like Seed) and pandering to niche of otaku.
Some 90s anime like Bubblegum crysis were... sexy as fuck, but it also couldn't care less to be family friendly.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.