[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can one start learning about the universe and lore of Battletech?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

How can one start learning about the universe and lore of Battletech?

I know basically nothing aside from the fact that there are clans and silly looking mechs.
>>
sarna.net
>>
/tg/ has a BT thread. Its OP contains links to pretty much everything that has ever been published in connection with it in english.

Novels are usually a decent start, though with the median age around here being 22, you're roughly seven years too old to really get the most out of them.
>>
>>13805764
>you're roughly seven years too old to really get the most out of them.

Figured as much. Is the Universe Guide pdf a good place to start?
>>
>>13805780
Never read them, as I got into the universe via the MW2 and the novels. Only read the House books, some of the campaign history books and most of the Technical Readouts. those TROs are where all the information about the robots is to be found.
>>
Sarna used to be good, but often tumultuous due to editing, re-editing, unediting, deleting, renewing and so on conflicts as the staff consists of people with a very lemming-like sense of coordination and attention span.

The worst being the whargarbl what the fuck willis level of grammar being used by some authors, and their immense hostility to corrections, to the point that they would re-instate grammatical mistakes and typos if someone corrected them.

Avoid the novels, though. Avoid them like the plauge. Hell, I'd say avoid the whole setting, but that'd be unfair.
>>
File: 1336634248615.jpg (573KB, 708x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1336634248615.jpg
573KB, 708x1000px
>>13805519
IN THE BEGINNING, there was STAR LEAGUE an inefectual but proud government by the royalty, for the royalty. The five GREAT HOUSES did pretty much whatever the fuck they wanted as long as it wasn't too bad because STAR LEAGUE didn't really want to get involved. When suddenly, THE KING IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE KING, but the second part didn't happen because the King didn't have an heir apparent. The GREAT HOUSES decided they should be King so they began the SUCCESSION WARS for the right to the throne. Also the PHONE COMPANY makes lots of money.

THAT PISSY GENERAL of STAR LEAGUE was all pissy at the SUCCESSION WARS so he took his army and said he didn't want to play anymore.

After NUKING the fuck out of each other the GREAT HOUSES enacted a GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT not to fucking nuke each other or blow up factories, because factories are expensive. The SUCCESSION WARS stagnate as the GREAT HOUSES realize that they're not going to be KING, but they can still landgrab and do what they want to do.

WHEN SUDDENTLY from the far reaches of space AUTISTS invade, the AUTISTS are great in number and powerful in combat and nearly reach Earth in their CLAN INVASION. Unfortunately the AUTISTS cannot work together and are unable to pay the PHONE BILL so everything calms down.

Then the rulers of two GREAT HOUSES get married, then they get a DIVORCE and its an UNCIVIL WAR regarding CUSTODY OF CHILDREN and who gets to keep the BEACH HOUSE.

Then the PHONE COMPANY raises their rates by NUKING EVERYTHING.
>>
File: battletech body doubles.png (114KB, 1349x634px) Image search: [Google]
battletech body doubles.png
114KB, 1349x634px
>>13808911
>>
>>13808911
*slow claps*

Thank you senpai
>>
/thread
>>
>>13805519
If you don't care for reading hours of lore just watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_-8D8R4CU

It's pretty much everything people really care to know about for the events that happen before the Clans invade.
>>
>>13808911
Would we ever know what happens next?
>>
>>13808994

Is the show fun to watch? It's only 13 episodes, and it looks pretty fun.
>>
>>13809142
It's awful.
>>
>>13809142
The fight scenes are all in 1994 CGI.
>>
>>13809142
The first episode is the best episode, because everything is corny and they never slow down. The rest of the show is terrible.
>>
>>13809175
>>13809179
>>13809208

It's corny, and looks like shit, alright. But is it FUN?
>>
>>13809247
It depends. If you know the Battletech universe already AND aren't a total sperg who will freak out at how bad and misrepresentative it is (so that eliminates like 99% of BT fans right there), it's hilarious how fucking stupid it is.
>>
>>13809142
>>13809175
>>13809179
>>13809208
Which show are you talking about?
>>
>>13809247
Not really, but watch it anyway.
>>
>>13809310
The Saturday morning Battletech cartoon.
>>
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/BattleTech
>>
>>13805519
So /m/, which /m/ (or even sci-fi )tabletop games fluff-wise or crunch wise are worth getting aside from battletech?
>>
File: ghost bear.jpg (71KB, 634x600px) Image search: [Google]
ghost bear.jpg
71KB, 634x600px
Ghost Bear

Best Clan
>>
>>13808911
I love this. Good job.
>>
>>13809433

Heavy Gear is awesome
>>
>>13809433
Infinity is pretty nice. The scifi is awfully Eurasian though.
>>
>>13809503
All the factions in infinity are overtly and dangerously religious. .. I can't handle it.
I want my sci-future to be atheistic
>>
>>13809607
The Bakunin are plain criminals, Planet NATIONALISM is nationalist, the Asians are Fascist, from what I gather, most of the aliens seem to believe in Darwinism and the AI would recreate Jesus and the Founding Fathers if it felt that it would help it further along with realizing its directives.

Leaves the Church sectorial and the Muslim faction as actual religious folks.
>>
>>13809142
The show is fun the way kusoge are fun, but the last episode is some god tier trolling.

Legitimately one of my favorite dick moves in animation.

>TO THE LETTER
>>
>>13808994
>>13809708
MY HOME PLANET!
>>
>>13809433
Warhammer 40k 1st edition aka Rouge trader (not the rpg games released years later) from 1987 worth a read.

Apart from that there is always Traveller, 2300 AD, Jovian Chronicles, GURPS books fro mecha and scifi (for example, GURPS mecha),
transhuman space and eclipse phase.
>>
>>13809607
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1347342377324.jpg (128KB, 528x571px) Image search: [Google]
1347342377324.jpg
128KB, 528x571px
bumping
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.