[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I live action Gundam work? If they were to loosely adapt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: gundam_unicorn.jpg (299KB, 1250x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gundam_unicorn.jpg
299KB, 1250x1000px
Can I live action Gundam work? If they were to loosely adapt a series which one would work best?
>>
>>13800845
G-Saviour.
>>
Well, what have we learned from Patlabor: The Next Generation? You need to stretch those yencoins. Live-action Gundam isn't a sufficiently good idea that you're going to get the megabucks budget to put everybody on a CG set.

So anything set overwhelmingly in space is out. Just too much CG. 0080 is out, because child actors.

It would have to be a very liberal adaptation, but I think 08th MS team would actually be a strong choice for this. You've mostly got outdoor filming, you can get a lot of mileage out of a good command car prop, and you can tilt it into an ensemble cast show.

I think your second-best option would probably be Turn-A Gundam, which would also be hilarious to see live-action. And honestly, the Tumblr demo would eat it up.
>>
>>13800845
Maybe but WHY
>>
File: 1377526684513.jpg (284KB, 750x767px) Image search: [Google]
1377526684513.jpg
284KB, 750x767px
>>13800944
To experiment with a long running series reaching further and further into stagnation as it continues to be made.

>>13800845
>>13800942
I think a series more like FLAG would work the best, perhaps the series would take point from the pov of a war photographer, seeing the events as it occurs in the background. Maybe works with on side or is a freelancer. Something more traditional like the Tomino Gundams I just don't see connecting well with most audiences today.
>>
>>13800942
>Well, what have we learned from Patlabor: The Next Generation?
That you shouldn't have elaborate weekly live-action productions with a run time over an half-hour? That's the main reason why subbed releases seldom come out for it.
>>
>>13800845
If you want the best quality you'll go with a movie and i dont think any of the series can be adapted into a single movie.
Your best bet is create a good sidestory that falls quite well into UC, probably, and see if the audience wants more.
>>
>>13801005
Plenty of J-Dramas get subbed that are over an hour. The only reason no one is subbing TNG is because they're either too lazy or there's no demand for it. Probably a bit of both.
>>
I think Ideon would make a great live action movie.
>>
File: 1438729784067.jpg (2MB, 4566x3491px) Image search: [Google]
1438729784067.jpg
2MB, 4566x3491px
Do 0083, give it a good action director or make it like top gun...
>>
You could do a pretty straight adaptation of the 0079 movies but the problem would be budget. The nips don't have enough or talent to do that many fights, but a western studio would not be down to make 0079 as it is.

0080 could work well. It could be cut down and it doesn't have that many fights
>>
>>13801162
I guess that makes sense. Unfortunately, Nanto happens to be the only one who wants it subbed, and everyone knows how slow his output is.
>>
File: Gundam-Movie.jpg (857KB, 1029x1264px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam-Movie.jpg
857KB, 1029x1264px
I put together this 2 years ago
>>
>>13801162
>>13801231
He also specifically called it out as being unusually hard to sub, because of the back-and-forth dialog. There's a lot of scenes with multiple characters talking over each other.
>>
>>13801237
Some of those ages would be really weird, though. The Bright/Mirai romance subplot would be sketchy as hell with that casting.
>>
>>13801237
Bright is Chinese though
>>
>>13801237
I love this
>>
>>13801259
China owns Britain (or did) in 0079
>>
>>13801246
Given that even Ametuchi is having trouble with this one, this is telling.
>>
By and large, Gundam doesn't work

It's just fucking tedious. Even when the characters are interesting and the designs not goofy as fuck, it's still a chore to sit through because everything is either inconsequential bullshit or unwarrantedly serious. It's like the MGS franchise without Kojima's wacky ideas and so-bad-it's-good hamfisted exposition.

The only Gundam anime that are somewhat entertaining are G and a handful of higher-budget OVAs but only because they're pretty.
>>
>>13801237
Why is everyone white?
Also, Andrew Garfield for Amuro? Amuro is an autistic sperglord, not a hunk.
>>
File: 1451734070436.jpg (155KB, 850x843px) Image search: [Google]
1451734070436.jpg
155KB, 850x843px
>>13800845
0080: War in the Pocket.

It would be SO easy for a live action version of that.
>no Newtype shenanigans to worry about animating.
>no japanese melodrama to turn away American viewers.
>simple and effective MS design won't be hard to translate into CG.
>character driven story gives actors plenty of time on-screen, making it a worthwhile live action movie to begin with.
>only about 6 hours worth of content to condense into theatrical form.
>good story

How could it not be the perfect fit for a live action film?
>>
>>13801304
That's just your juvenile and shit taste
>>
>>13801259
Isn't he from China/Britain colony and not actual China or Britain though?
>>
>>13801304
All you're doing is making me hate G gundam
>>
File: GMs suck.jpg (53KB, 716x480px) Image search: [Google]
GMs suck.jpg
53KB, 716x480px
>>13801789
>wanting to see live action "BERRRRNIEEE!"
Still, it'd be nice to see an American say pic related.
>>
File: prm.jpg (243KB, 693x1024px) Image search: [Google]
prm.jpg
243KB, 693x1024px
>>13800845
They already tried it. It bombed horribly in America.
>>
>>13801789
>How could it not be the perfect fit for a live action film?

The awkward balancing act that comes with trying to use showy giant robots that you will market the Hell out of to tell a story about how war isn't a glamorous thing?
>>
>>13802239
>Pacific Rim

>Gundam

Also it didn't do terribly, just not as well as we all hoped. Also major fuck-you to any /m/an who didn't see this in theaters multiple times.
>>
>>13801789
I hope they would change so Bernie would survive and stay with Chris.
>>
>>13800845
It could work, but the team that could pull it off would never come near to doing it. It'd have to be made in America if you want a decent budget, the writer and director would have to be long time fans and know a decent amount of the lore, the designer would need to know a decent amount about the diffrent factions (assuming we use Zeon, Federation, Titans, and other well known groups) and how their Mobile Suits differ in apperance, plus we'd need actors but there are probably a good deal of Hollywood actors that are closet Gundam fans (my moneys on Vin Diesel, Karl Urban, Dwayne Johnson. All of them are huge turbo nerds.) In short it wont ever happen, but hey I know I never thought we'd get a GOTG movie so who knows.
>>
>>13801237
>Ryan Glosing as Char
>Sean Bean as Ryu Jose
I love it.
>>
>>13802239
That piece of Del Taco shit isn't anything like Gundam.
>>
File: 1339782060232.png (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1339782060232.png
48KB, 500x500px
>>13801259
Khan Noonien Singh was suppose to be Indian, but instead they give it to a Mexican American actor and later a British one.
>>
I feel like if we were going for tv, a program like hbo or starz, something like that would need to try it. Anything else would just be a waste.
>>
>>13803074
>Khan Noonien Singh

Was he a punjabi muslim or a sikh happened to be leader of a clan?
>>
SEED. Pre-emptive "Calm your space-titties" because I'm not saying that SEED is good at all. I'm saying that the premise would be one of the easiest to adapt and end up with something that isn't shit.
>>
Something like 08th ms team would work (at least the first half, adding gouf custom because gouf custom)
>>
>>13807690
You mean in a thematic sense? yeah I could get behind that
>>
>>13800845
>Can I live action Gundam work?

they already tried with G Savior
>>
>>13807820
They did try, but do take note that it was in a time where the CG work was waaaaaaaay too expensive and technology to do the CG was a lot less powerful.

Live action Gundam can most likely be done now. It's more a matter of whether Bandai/Sunrise wants to try again or not. They typically tend to see failures as absolute, not look into why things went wrong, and will not even think of trying again.
>>
>>13807665
SEED's whole conflict is basically a racial conflict taken to the extreme.
Considering how much emphasis is on racial issues these days(in America, at least), it would probably do decently well and get praised for tackling the racial problem and shit.

The background story of SEED is among one of the few things that are really good, a plot that uses the background story, if executed properly, would be pretty nice.
>>
>>13807820
Some shitty Canadian movie hardly counts. I'm talking a true Hollywood adaption. One failure hardly means it can't work either. The 90s Captain America movie is a thing, but Winter Solider still happened.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.