[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Original trilogy: >Vader is an imposing figure who serves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

Original trilogy:
>Vader is an imposing figure who serves as one of the main antagonists of the series

Expanded universe and side stories:
>Vader is a tragic figure, who is in constant pain, has lots of physical impairments, and torments over the loss of his love and former life
>>
>>13794784
yes we know EU mostly suck shit as did the prequels, especially with luke being a super jedi and all

>planet hoth is named after a warmongering jedi general from millennias ago
made me cringe
>>
>>13794784
>Vader is a tragic figure, who is in constant pain, has lots of physical impairments, and torments over the loss of his love and former life

That sounds awful

The black knight isn't supposed to be a weepy faggot, he's supposed to be an unstoppable force who fucks shit up
>>
>>13794836
he deals with it by being an angry fuck who fucks shit up
>>
>>13794784
Vader being a tragic figure is not an EU thing at all, what the hell do you think the entire PT was about?
>>
it gives backstory to why he's a villain
>>
There's also the Emperor wasn't actually evil, he was just preparing for scary Force-immune Warhammer 40k aliens that hurt themselves for power
>>
>>13794784

NOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>13794978
If you consider the OT only, Vader is tragic because he used to be a great Jedi and a friend of Obi-Wan's, but fell to the Dark Side despite having the capacity to be good again.

And that could be tragic enough on its own without the PT or the EU stuff.
>>
EU is gone now so whatever.
>>
he was a good friend.
>>
>>13795394
This. He became a tragic character in ESB when you learn who and what he really is.

I'm glad they went back to this theme in TFA with Kylo Ren. Falling to the dark side doesn't make you a cool and edgy badass. It's a tragedy, because something that was good has been lost.
>>
>>13795441
It's hard to consider it a tragedy when it happens to an edgy retard like Ren.
>>
>>13795452
People overblow the edginess of Ren.
Sure he has his temper tantrums, but he also shows glimpses of intimidating villain to be.
I really like Kylo Ren's character just because there is so much room to grow. Also having anger issues is way better than being a crybaby like Anakin in prequels.
>>
>>13795452
I don't get why edgy retards like this can't understand Kylo rens character
>>
>>13795423
The new EU that's replaced it is almost as bad. And that may only be because it hasn't had a chance to shit up as much stuff yet.
>>
>>13795423
>implying the EU was canon to begin with

>>13795479
I liked Kylo because he was presented as Anakin in EP 3, with enough references to his past so you dont need a prequel trilogy but also room to grow instead of how Vader was in the OT.
>>
>>13795479
>I really like Kylo Ren's character just because there is so much room to grow
Same, with that time they had I think they did a good job with him.
>>
>>13795526
The only truly, and I mean truly full retard part of the new EU is just Aftermath.
>>
>>13795452

Except if you actually watched the movie you'd know that Kylo is intentionally playing up the "edgy" aspect of his personality. He wants to be a dark brooding Sith badass despite every instinct in his gut telling him otherwise. He has a naturally good heart ("I feel the Light calling me again"), but keeps rejecting that because of his obsession with the Dark Side and Vader. He's willing to do shit he knows is stupid and over-the-top edgy like killing his father even though you can see he has mixed feelings about it immediately after, all in the name of being a better Vader than Vader. That's his tragedy.
>>
>>13794978
>what the hell do you think the entire PT was about?
Palpatine being a sneaky badguy.
>>
>>13794978
It was about THE SHEEV
>>
>>13796008
And he's entirely right.
>>
>>13796008
If he has a "naturally good heart" why is he so obsessed with the dark side and doing evil things?
>>
https://youtu.be/SMCki0Z_AlA?t=81
This is how I feel about Vader
>>
>>13796051
Because Snoke
>>
>>13796008
That's hardly tragic. I don't feel sympathetic for him at all. That's like feeling sympathetic for someone who wants to be a better dictator than Stalin, even though they know that what Stalin did was horrible.
>>
>>13794784
OT:
>generic, one-dimensional boogeyman caricature of a villain

EU:
>actual character who experiences real conflict and has a personality
>>
>>13797881
>How can you call them a good villain if Ichigo doesn't stand over them for twenty minutes listening to their TRAGIC life story after beating them?
What is subtly?
>>
>>13797881
>generic, one-dimensional boogeyman caricature of a villain
So did you just stop at ANH or what?
>>
>>13796097
No that's not it, it would be someone that thinks Stalin is awesome but they aren't cut out to be him.
>>
>>13797881
>actual character

The EU is kinda infamous for shitting on Vader at every known opportunity.

No comics writers, Boba Fett in fact should NOT be able to hold off Vader on a straight up lightsaber duel
>>
>>13797995
But how much of that is the EU shitting on Vader and how much is the EU violently masturbating to Boba Fett?
>>
>>13795957

How's the Force Awakens novel out of interest, for anyone that's read it?
>>
>>13797881
>actual character who experiences real conflict and has a personality

When did having a sob story automatically equal being an "actual character"?
>>
>>13798275
Naruto.
>>
File: vader.png (801KB, 804x542px) Image search: [Google]
vader.png
801KB, 804x542px
>>
>>13794784
This describes Char too
>>
>>13794784

No its more like
Original trilogy:
>Vader is an imposing figure who is subtly in a great amount of pain which is revealed throughout the trilogy
Expanded universe and side stories:
>Lets throw subtly out the fucking window and ham up everything that was shown in the Originals because it was successful and George wont let us write anything new

Boba Fett is another great fucking example of this. In the originals he was just a dude in neat armor and everyone's like fuck that guy looks pretty badass he doesn't do anything, but even Vader respects him.
Then in prequels Jango is the real one and its look hes sooooooo kewl they made a super army out of him and it turns out Boba is actually a super clone man trained from birth to be badass!!
Then in EU and side stories its THE WHOLE TIME HE WAS PART OF A SUPER FUCKIN NEAT SPARTAN RACE THEY NEVER TAKE THEIR ARMOR OFF AND LIVE TO FIGHT!! THAT'S COOL RIGHT?! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT RIGHT?!?!
>>
>>13799615

The EU thing happened before the prequels.

Let's face it, the EU's love of Boba Fett is the only reason Jango was in Attack of the Clones. And you say it like it was Lucas who did that. The fans are the ones who wrote the EU and made Boba Fett the way he is, because it's what they wanted. There's a reason the EU was called officially licensed fanfiction.
>>
>>13799630
This. As much as people bitched about the Expanded Universe being full retard, the reality is it was the end result of what happens when you let the fandom write the bulk of a setting's lore. Once they start sucking a character's dick they can't stop.

Hell, they didn't stop at Boba. Did you know that just like him, his dad was also Mandalore at one point?
>>
So did any of the EU material get direct approval from George Lucas or just Lucasfilms?

I think the Gundam ACE comics are even worse.
>>
>>13799664

IIRC Lucas's input was basically "all of it is canon unless something in a film directly contradicts it"

That being said, he was heavily involved with the production and scripting of Shadows of the Empire, to the point that he considered the game on the same level of canon as the films.
>>
>>13794784
Meh, still brought balance to the force, even if it didn't last.

The Jedi order might not have been evil, but they were definitely assholes who had it coming.
>>
>>13801190
>hey guyz he's gonna balance everything
>there's two of them and a gajillion of us
>sounds great!
>>
>>13801190

No, balance to the force was achieved when Vader killed Palpatine, the source of the dark side corruption.

People have this misconception that the light side and dark side are just 2 ends of a coin. This could not be further from the truth. The dark side is an aberration, it was what happens when people who are evil come in contact with the force and corrupt its very nature. From the force's POV there is not Dark Side and Light Side. There is the Force, and a corruption of the Force.
>>
>>13801226
This is simply the Jedi's opinion. Really, it's the Jedi are a bunch of Catholics, and the Sith are disgusting Calvinists going around smashing saint statues and breaking stained glass windows.
>>
>>13801226

That was what Lucas said, but that might not be true anymore, especially since TFA has the dark still around and old african alien lady saying light and dark's war is pretty much eternal.
>>
>>13795103
Why couldn't it be both?
>>
>>13802757
>This is simply the Jedi's opinion.

No, that is actually the canon of how the setting works. It has nothing to do with opinion.

>especially since TFA has the dark still around and old african alien lady saying light and dark's war is pretty much eternal.

Because there will always be evil people trying to corrupt the force.
>>
>>13802810
>No, that is actually the canon of how the setting works. It has nothing to do with opinion.

Which canon? From Lucas himself? I haven't kept up with what's been recreated to be canon.
>>
>>13801226
jedifags please go
>>
To this day it still amuses me that the whole Force thing is just some white guy's take on Asian Wuxia/xianxia crap that's been rehashed for hundreds of years back when chinks were literal chuunis. And even better is that the white guy manages to do it better than all those rehashes despite proving he's just a hack who got lucky years later down the line.
>>
>>13796017
>JarJar being a sneaky badguy
ftfy
>>
>>13802800
>Why couldn't it be both?
Because the Emperor is just an evil dick who wanted power. There's no fucking moral gray area for the guy, that was the whole point. Especially trying to turn him into fucking Aeolia Schenburg
>>
>>13794978
His Anakin persona, not Vader.
>>
>>13799651
Yeah, people complain about all the Senate scenes in the PT, but they were pretty fucking de riggeur in the books that I read too.
>>
The more I hear about some of the stupid shit in the EU, the more I wonder why are people ass blasted about loosing it when only KOTOR, the Thrawn Trilogy, and maybe a few other things seem good? Most of it seems like fucking shit.
>>
>>13797995
Did this actually happen?
>>
>>13808017
I'm only sad about losing KOTOR. Not really involved with EU but shit was solid.
>4000 BANH
>not two-handing cyan and orange lightsabers while using light side crystals to rape Malek
>not being full light side while also in love with another Jedi, saving her from the dark side
>not proving that light side conquers all
>>
>>13808096
Been playing it again my self...its better than I remember desu.

That said I wish it was December because my red and green light sabers would feel more seasonal.

But yeah only sad about Kotor, thrash and all the TIE varients and other imp shit we lost.
>>
>>13808096
>>13808108
The KOTOR games are some of the only ones that have official pages on Disney's Star Wars site, plus KOTOR got an ios/Android port and KOTOR 2 has been getting official patches out of nowhere since Disney took over. Hammerheads also appeared in Rebels.
There's been whispers that Knights of the Old Republic would be the first thing of old EU to be imported into the new one.
>>
>>13803054
>jedifags

Actually from what I know, I don't think the Jedi or Sith know that the force works that way.
>>
>>13808017
My problem is that they replace the EU, which was trash but at least it was recognizable trash, with TFA, which is still trash and lacks the recognizableness.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.