[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BUilding one Gundam would cost a good 724 million dollars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

http://www.wired.com/2008/01/real-life-gunda

And that's only for a measly 18 meter tall thing.

So, will it be cheaper in time, thanks to the advances in material science we're getting(super carbon material and the like.

Pic related, price breakdown.
>>
>>13791746
Eh, that's far less money than the US government wastes / steals each year.
>>
the free market will build it
>>
>>13791756
How much is the USA defense budget? I hear it's massive, but I've never heard the number.
>>
>>13791746
Doesn't even include a minovsky micro-reactor.
>>
They didn't factor in the cost of labor.
>>
>>13791746
> No weapons.
> Runs on Gas
> Made of Aluminum
>>
>>13791811
Damned thing would be about as survivable as a Leo.
>>
>>13791746
Well, one F-18 costs about 66 million dollars. So if a mobile suit could be as effective as 11 fighters jets, then it would be economically viable.
>>
>>13791976
A F22 is like 300-some million dollar. It only has to be around 2.5 times as effective as a fighter jet.
>>
>>13791746
>BUilding one GM would cost a good 724 million dollars
ftfy
>>
>>13791805
Amuro does it for free, just needs a few good slaps for motivation.
>>
>>13791783
in the billions i think
>>
>not a nuclear power source

Do these niggas even giant robo science?
>>
>>13791783
in 2015 it was $598.5 billion
>>
This is like nothing compared to USA defense budget and it's propensity to waste billions on garbage like F35s and such.
>>
>>13795451

cool, you've seen fellow internet idiots post things

and now you're posting them
>>
>>13791746
>IBM

So it's like the NT-D system, but instead of Newtype hunting, it goes after Jews?
>>
>>13795451
>F-35
>garbage
Do we really have to do this every time?
>>
>>13798937
but it is garbage because the USMC made it garbage, Air force and navy variants were fine but the VTOL requirement made it garbage
>>
>>13798962
Explain what you mean in more detail. I want to be able to hit your points accurately instead of replying to blanket statements. Use your vocabulary.
>>
What about a space colony?

I don't want to be held down by gravity any further.
>>
File: bar-chart-defense-spending.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
bar-chart-defense-spending.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
>>13791783
2017 will be $584 billion according to some guy at the pentagon. I don't think it's enough to be honest. We need fancy new air craft carriers.
>>
>>13798974
A space colony costs nothing if you gas the people who build it while they're still inside
then you just have to pay for new oxygen
>>
>>13798987
The point of Aircraft carriers was that fighters initially couldn't make trip across the ocean to their target. As technology has progressed, that has become less of an issue, and carriers have become far more of a reliability.

Currently, the military is actually developing more small battleship fleets that can be mobilized faster and maintained easier.
>>
>>13799009
We're actually planing 10 new Aircraft Carriers right now, Gerald Ford Class ships. They're replacing they old kitty hawk and the enterprises classes. I just want them to hurry up since I don't like they United States not having an active USS Enterprise. The new one isn't going to be done till 2025
>>
>>13791976
a B2 costs, 737 million at 1997 price, so it would be even more expensive now, thanks to inflation. so it's really not a bad price for a gundum when you consider just how much more effective a gundam would be.
>>
>>13798962
But why
>>
>>13799058
>when you consider just how much more effective a gundam would be.
Zero times?
And the OP price calculation doesn't include the cost of development, construction, or weapons.
>>
You know we could shove IBM watson in there and have a real learning computer
>>
>>13799097
The B2 is by far the most superfluous unit in any military ever. It's ugly and it's useless, and there isn't a universe in existence where a Gundam would be more expensive or less useful.
>>
File: HEIGHT.png (514KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
HEIGHT.png
514KB, 620x349px
>>
>>13799306
But there's no use for a Gundam. At all. Especially since a real one wouldn't be made of magic near-indestructible moon metal.
>>
>>13799325
It does have one use, It would look cool in parades, and you would be able to dick wave with it.
Imagine the 2030 Olympics Hosted in New York. We have have gundam Light the Torch, just for the hell of it. How awesome would that be.
>>
File: tallgeese096.jpg (22KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
tallgeese096.jpg
22KB, 550x400px
>>13799325
if you could get the generator thing right, and make the weapons and thrusters powered/charged completely of the generators power, then you would have a completely mobile, armored, unlimited ammo death machine whose only limitation is the fatigue of the pilot.
>>
That cost as opposed to frivolous hollywood movies? pfft. that's nothing.>>13791746
>>
>>13791746
I am damm sure it would be very cheap after we start making lots of space colonies.
>>
>>13792049
>nuclear
Yeah, that's going to be fun when it explodes. I can't think of a single reason NOT to use nuclear power on everything in the battlefield...

Fucking moron.
>>
>>13800189
You don't know much about how nuclear reactors work, do you?
>>
>>13800189
That's not how reactors work at all, retard
>>
>>13791746
I think that costs less than a tank or fighter jet.
>>
>>13800199
>>13800201
>cell phones cause cancer
>wifi causes cancer
>everything causes cancer
>nuclear reactors are 100% safe

ok
>>
>>13800227
Wi-fi doesn't cause cancer and nuclear reactors don't explode. The worst a reactor does is flash-heat steam, but you have release valves to prevent buildup of pressure that would lead to an explosion.

The common thought of a nuclear reactor going up exactly like a nuclear bomb does is wrong as shit.
>>
>>13791746
>not even a billion
How many days of the Iraq War do we have to cancel to get this done? Four? Five?
holy shit it's like two
>>
>>13800227
Please be pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>13800227
Everything does cause cancer. Breathing causes cancer. Are you going to stop breathing, anon?

Regardless, the point is that nuclear reactors can't produce kilo/megaton scale detonations, because they use partially enriched uranium, rather than the pure U-235 that's required to produce a bomb-style reaction. It's just not going to happen.
>>
>>13791746
>Doesn't include labor costs (Assembling, programming)
>Doesn't include the machinery to assemble it
>No fuel
>No weapons
>No ammo
>Just some engines and sensors in an aluminium husk
ayy
>>
>>13800330
Core meltdowns aren't funny though, just to chime in.
>>
>>13800227
Mucus buildup causes cancer. Its been proven. Cancer cells exist in all people, but they are fuel to expand by mucus.
>>
>>13791811
>thinking aluminum isn't as serviceable as other metals
Kek. I think you need to look over aluminums resistance properties again.
>>
All you have is an extremely expensive tank with a lot of mobility.

It's not worth it but someone has to start, FUND IT!
>>
>>13802219
>with a lot of mobility
The complete opposite actually
>>
>>13802219
Yes, but can it remove kebab?
>>
>>13802219
>All you have is an extremely expensive tank with a lot of mobility.
If the only application is combat, sure. My opinion is Patlabor-sized mechas with accessories like drill arms and other tools/utilities would be the ideal machine for exploration and terraforming of Mars for example. One very versatile multi-terrain (land, water, airborne) vehicle that can be remodeled depending on use.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.