[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ten years from now, do you think that AGE will become the new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 19

File: gundam-age_1161.jpg (43KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
gundam-age_1161.jpg
43KB, 250x350px
Ten years from now, do you think that AGE will become the new Turn A for the next generation of anime fans? Like "that one series that Japan allegedly disliked and nobody bought the toys for and it never got licensed in America" (well it technically did but the official subs were taken off YT) and it becomes a cult classic?
>>
>>13788665

No. There's a difference between Turn-A and AGE, and that's that Turn-A is good. AGE is mediocre and boring with regular dips in to outright stupidity. Turn-A garnered fans over time until after 15 years it had a small but dedicated following. AGE has never really many fans, because there's not much to appreciate. There's a handful of people here who like it, but that's about it. I've never seen anyone express anything but disdain for it anywhere else. I don't see it ever becoming a cult classic, not even in a B-movie, so bad it's good way.
>>
>>13788665
Turn-A tried something different, while loosely tying together what had come before. It was the original creator coming back and rounding off the franchise with a few nods to the places others had taken it.

AGE tried to outright parrot everything that came before, basically retelling the first half of UC, while peppering it with uniforms and design elements from the AUs, all to repackage it for a new younger audience. It was a fairly blatant cash grab from top to bottom, and it failed precisely because it was a by-the-numbers marketing ploy with little heart or soul to it.
>>
>>13788684
>Turn-A is good
>AGE is mediocre and boring

Then explain the interplanetary barrel travel scene or cow episode's stupidity or admit your lame taste.

You can think AGE is a disappointment but you can't deny this show have innovative designs, different plot and a gateway between different generation viewers (just like G-Reco), Turn A was tried them but mostly failed.
>>
>>13788810
>lame taste.
>says the guy that defends AGE
>>
>>13788665
In 10 years, hopefully everyone will grow some fucking taste and realize both Turn A and AGE are absolutely shit just like everything that has Gundam in its name.
>>
>>13788810
>Then explain the interplanetary barrel travel scene

That was a good insight into how out of depth the earthlings heading to the moon were, it added on, ever so slightly, to the world building, and was really humorous to boot.

>or cow episode's stupidity

Again, world building.
>>
G-Reco has a better shot at being the next Turn A. Hell, in some of my circles it's reception has been improving after it finished because new viewers marathon the show without forgetting details waiting week-to-week.

AGE had an interesting concept, a multi-generational story. However, the execution was severely lacking. I think it would have been entirely possible to skip not only Gen 2, but Gen 1 could have been explained in a few flashbacks during Gen 3.

> Flit created/piloted the Gundam as a kid.
> He wanted to stop the Vegans and save everyone.
> He lost someone important to him.
> He isn't like he used to be.

After all, we were able to follow X without it's 0079-variant backstory taking up that much screentime.
>>
>>13788810
>or admit your lame taste.
And you're actually thinking Age is better than Turn A
>>
>>13788841
>G-Reco has a better shot at being the next Turn A.
No. Turn A was thought to be a failure both on toy and disc sale fronts neither of which apply to G-Reco. Also its Gundam isn't meme-ugly like Turn A's "ewww a mustache" legacy
>>
>>13788810
Innovative designs? The Gundams are just basically copy-paste of UC. And FX is copy paste of Quanta.
Different plot? They just basically copy-pasting UC and mixed with SEED for final arc. Anytime they tried to do something original , it failed horribly.
>>
>>13788665
No

faggot
>>
>>13788836

The cow episode also helped ground the setting and add verisimilitude since it showed that even people from the Moon still need basic necessities to live and provide for their families. It allowed Loran to be something other than a pilot for an episode and expounded on his personality and that of other characters like Sochie by putting them in a situation beyond the norm for them. It's a great episode and some of the best in Turn-A were things like that, Anis' farm, Dianna at the war hospital and so on precisely because of that kind of thing.
>>
>>13788810
>different plot
Not really?

I mean, generation isn't exactly new to Gundam. All AGE did differently was did it all in one series as opposed to spacing it out over three.
And even then, it didn't do particularly well at really conveying that much of a passage of time. Especially for series that spanned sixty years (a century only by virtue of an epilogue cheat). The setting manages to feel like a century where culture stagnated, which would be interesting if it was commented on, but seems more indicative of just how lazily AGE's setting was put together.
>>
No. Turn-A became popular with hipsters because it appealed to SJWs.
>>
>>13789049

I'd tell you to go to bed, but you're probably afraid the SJWs are hiding under it or in your closet or something. The bogeyman isn't real though anon, no matter how many names you put on it.
>>
>>13789066
That bogeyman is gravity, and it's in my closet RIGHT NOW
>>
>>13788810
>go back to your tokushit retard
>>
>>13788861
>No. Turn A was thought to be a failure both on toy and disc sale fronts neither of which apply to G-Reco. Also its Gundam isn't meme-ugly like Turn A's "ewww a mustache" legacy
Both Fukuda and Nagano took shots at Turn A back in the day. Nowadays, people keep using Otaking as proof people in the industry didn't like G-Reco, ignoring Urobutcher's comments on the series.

I find it kinda hilarious that years later Fukuda went toe-to-toe with Tomino and Tomino's shit sold better despite all of Fukuda's fanservice.
>>
>>13788829

well yeah, i mean, really, the vast majority of anime is shit, but for mecha, it's the best we've got. If western animation or Hollywood thought mecha was enough of a big thing to put real talent and money into projects consistently, none of us would care about anime.
>>
>>13788665

I literally forgot that AGE existed until you reminded me.
>>
File: 1394075061937.png (43KB, 317x275px) Image search: [Google]
1394075061937.png
43KB, 317x275px
>>13789107
>Both Fukuda and Nagano took shots at Turn A back in the day
>I love Tomino-san! Only saw the last part of G. My favorite series is Turn A.
>>
>>13789150

Which of them are you claiming said that? Without a source either I might add. I don't think I've ever seen a source for either claim that anon made, but you've not supplied one either, which is no better.
>>
>>13789184
It's from Fukuda's Kyoto University interview from after SEED ended. If anon had read the whole thing, they would have seen Fukuda also saying

> Anime has to be successful in the merchandise department. Turn A was sorry in terms of merchandise. *laughs* The plamodel staff froze after looking at the moustache. I was shooting for something in between First and Wing.
>>
>>13789195

I honestly can't imagine Fukuda liking Turn-A. I know stuff people makes doesn't always hue to their own preferences and people's tastes can be really broad so even if they did someone can still enjoy something that's seemingly divergent to the stuff they make, but Turn-A is basically the antithesis of everything the man has ever done and I really can't resolve the two in my head. Doesn't mean it isn't true, I just can't imagine why.
>>
>>13788665
No, AGE was pretty objectively bad and I say this as someone who sort of enjoyed watching it as it aired.

It will go down in history as an ambitious but failed attempt to condense the UC into a single series.

Designs were okay though.
>>
>>13789184
It actually doesn't even matter if I source the damn thing because I've already made my point either way.
http://aeug.blogspot.ca/2003_11_01_archive.html

>>13789195
>Bandai didn't make a lot of models
OH DAMN WHAT A HARROWING CRITICISM OF THE SHOW

>>13789206
If you think happy Tomino and Fukuda are the opposite ends of the spectrum you have a depressingly narrow view of the world.
>>
>>13788665
Nah, it won't be Turn A levels, but I could see it becoming like Gundam X. I recently read some reviews from the early 2000's about Gundam X and none have been too positive. Yet today most people seem to think X is underrated despite its flaws. I could see AGE going the same way in a couple of years.
>>
>>13789226

You haven't actually proven squat if you don't provide a source. I've no idea why you're so angry about it, but a source has already been provided and that was all I asked for.

As far as mecha anime go, I do think Fukuda and Tomino are basically at opposite ends of the spectrum, yes. There are other shows that are more different from each of them than their stuff is from each other, but both make the same basic kind of show and just make it in almost completely opposite ways. Tomino focuses on characters and giving them depth (regardless of how well you think he manages it), while Fukuda focuses on melodrama and only uses the most simple character archetypes. Tomino puts a lot of effort in to the setting and world-building most of the time, building the show from there, Fukuda could give a toss about that and just makes it up as he goes along. Tomino wants to make a good story first and if it's successful fine, while Fukuda appears to want to make something successful first and foremost and something is only as good as it needs to be to feed that end. And so on.

Turn-A doesn't have a huge amount of melodrama, the robots rarely come across as particularly strong or noteworthy in it. I just find it hard to imagine it feeds in to his taste, at least as far as one can ascertain his taste from the stuff he makes.
>>
>>13789226
>OH DAMN WHAT A HARROWING CRITICISM OF THE SHOW
He's mocking the Gundam, not the amount of merch. Just like when he takes a shot at X a few questions later.

> A: Before I started, I watched CCA and F91. I watched the first ep of X and returned the video. *laughs*
>>
>>13789273
I only need to show that the faggot I was quoting was probably making shit up, the counter example doesn't even need to be real to call him out.

>>13789274
Wow you're projecting so hard it's practically visible. Bandai Hobby hated it =/= I hated it, retard, and even if he did why would it matter if he still loves the show?

If you really paid attention to the entire interview it's obvious Fukuda is a Tomino oldfag and literally doesn't give a shit about AUs.
>>
>>13788665
No.
>>
Speaking of Turn A, where can I download/torrent it with the OFFICIAL subs? I heard the fan subs are barely comprehensible garbage and as a result I've been avoiding the show.

Do I have to settle for the torrent of the movie compilation?
>>
>>13790136
>I heard the fan subs are barely comprehensible garbage
You heard wrong, they're fine.
>>
>>13788665
Turn A was Tomino going his own thing, the toys being a byproduct of the series
AGE is whoever it was pushing out a rehash of UC and SEED while blatantly trying to push all the toys
>>
>>13790136
encodergasm i think did the turn A subs, they're fine.

now the movies' subs are both fucked up, it's like the characters are slipping in and out of sims language with their fucky gibberish.
>>
>>13788841
I always wanted it to be some kind of 100 year ryvius with the cast coming and going rather than the three separate gundam shows thing they did.
>>
>>13790136
>official subs ever being better than fan subs
>>
>>13790412

The same guy is saying he'll settle for the movie compilation which has no official release and only garbage subs for at least the second movie on top of them being a rushed mess given that it has two movies summarizing a 50 episode series.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=616797
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=666950

Those should be the official subs for the tv series though regardless. One thing actually, since I must grab them myself, does anyone know, are the commentary tracks subbed? I assume not, but you never know.
>>
File: Age mass butthurt event.jpg (356KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
Age mass butthurt event.jpg
356KB, 1280x848px
>This was 5 years ago
>>
>>13790193
>>13790419
>>13790136
The movies do have official subs.
OZC released the official BD subs for the movies I think, though they changed Rhineford to Lineford. If you just extract the subs you can just replace Lineford with Rhineford if you want with your preferred sub-editing software.
These subs are actually VERY good though, with less mistakes than the subs for the TV series. Just copy them over to the best encode, which is probably the EG one on bakabt, using mkvtool or something.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=749834
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=770099

That being said, I wouldn't recommend the Turn A movies over the series. The first movie really rushes through things at the start and skip a lot of content, and they skip a major chunk of the middle of the show, so the second movie starts of at an entirely different spot from where the first one ends. If you've seen the series already and just want to see some of the highlights again, then it's still entertaining since it has some of the best scenes in it.
The DID change one thing though. In the tv series Lily Borjarno said that Universal Century took place some "ten thousand years ago", ichi-man is what she says in Japanese, while in the movie series she says it took place "five thousand years ago", and in Japanese she says go-sen. I don't know why they retconned this bit, since G-Reco was probably not even planned when they made the movies.

And to >>13790419
Those aren't the official subs, I think. Bunnyhat ripped the subs from the official licensed English DVD release that came out earlier this year. Those were of better quality than the ones currently on [EG]. The desustorage archive is acting up right now so I can't find them for you, but I'll post them here when I do. Or if someone else still has the link.
>>
>>13790449
You know how some things you look back on and are completely surprised how long ago it was? This is the opposite, this feels like ages ago.
>>
>>13790478
Yeah, the movie was like "if that's my only option thing". Desu is working fine for me, I just can't find in them in there.

>Bunnyhat

FortMax? I guess I can just ask her about them on twitter some time. We have some mutuals so I guess it wouldn't be too awkward. But at the same time, I wouldn't want some rando bugging me about /m/ shit on twitter.
>>
>>13788684
>I don't see it ever becoming a cult classic, not even in a B-movie, so bad it's good way.

This is actually how I view AGE. It's so much standard Gundam but the execution is just so off it's almost comical. It's trying to stick close to the most basic formula in such a lazy, low effort-sort of way while half-assing it's own multi-generation gimmick.

The main thing I take away from this is this show feels like it's expecting to work on it's own. No need for polish or anything, kids will eat this shit up. It feels like a ripoff or parody (if I'm being generous) to be honest.

But at the end of the day, I enjoy watching it if only to constantly poke fun of it. It's not like Destiny where I'm trying to wrap my head around the various levels of stupid.

I do like the JRPG character designs, some of the Gundams (AGE 1 Full Glansa is my favorite) and there are a few good songs.
>>
File: citation needed.jpg (33KB, 1000x266px) Image search: [Google]
citation needed.jpg
33KB, 1000x266px
>>13788684
>Turn-A is good
>>
>>13790478
>Bunnyhat ripped the subs from the official licensed English DVD release that came out earlier this year.
sauce?
>>
>>13793177

> citation needed
> for an opinion
>>
Turn A is not good, but it is at least interesting.

AGE on the other hand is just an absolute trainwreck. And I love AGE's designs. I have almost every kit. I even like how the Level 5-designed characters look. But the storyline is a complete mess.

A lot of the fans of Turn A enjoy Turn A because they ponder its place in relativity to the rest of UC Gundam.

AGE has NO WORLDBUILDING so there is nothing to ponder, all speculation on the world of AGE basically has to be making shit up after a certain point because there's pretty much nothing outside of "muh EXA-DB" and those two retard Moon-Moon-like clans on that place.

AGE also underutilizes and then unceremoniously kills off pretty much all the interesting members of its cast, so there is not even room for wondering what these characters will do in the future or whatever because they just get shat on and fucking die like Grodek or Woolf.

The plot was FUCKING STUPID TO THE MAX with Ezelcant's plan and them doing this three generation war against the Earthnoids when in the end it turns out they could teleport the whole planet anywhere they wanted at any time or whatever the fuck that was.

The characters are even bad as memes. Look at Zeheart, possibly the worst written character in the entire history of anime.

I mean it was just bad.
>>
File: 1360922488906.jpg (273KB, 1272x1364px) Image search: [Google]
1360922488906.jpg
273KB, 1272x1364px
>>13790449
And the butthurt is still strong even now.
>>
>>13793308
>AGE has NO WORLDBUILDING
Which is a shame really. The closest we get is Memories of SID, and even then that was just to establish where Bisidian came from. I would have loved to see Asemu choose to follow his original dream of being a mobile suit racer like Woolf. Speaking of Gen-2, they really should have just killed off Ezelcant there and have Zeheart take over ASAP. You could replace Ezelcant with Zeheart when Kio is captured, and you would have scenes that would be SO MUCH more meaningful.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-24+at+08.41.57).png (251KB, 551x754px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-24+at+08.41.57).png
251KB, 551x754px
I'm sorry
>>
>>13793386

Yeah. It's amazing how AGE gives us a story that spans 3 generations yet tells us absolutely nothing about the world in which it takes place, thus ensuring there is no context or reason to give a shit. There is literally just nothing there.
>>
>>13793399
I...I don't even know how you saw that unless you were purposely looking for dick-shaped objects.
>>
>>13793353
no
fuck you
enjoy no more model kits fucking EVER
>>
File: 1405169415189.png (90KB, 404x347px) Image search: [Google]
1405169415189.png
90KB, 404x347px
>>13793453
Some people have a problem.
>>
Meh. I just enjoy Gundam in most of it's forms. I would be a liar if I said I didn't rank some above others, but on the whole I've been very pleased with most Gundam series and movies to the point I've really ranked it up high on my list of sci-fi. With pretty much only LoGH and Urusei Yatsura being higher than it.

But I don't think it's fair to compare AGE with Turn A when I've seen forum considering G-Reco and more of a re visioned Turn A. So what would that make AGE?

If Build Fighters is a new version of G Gundam, AGE is more of another longer version of Gundam X, only Gundam X being still a better series if a little short.
>>
This is something that bugged me. Fritos and DK were friends, and DK took over Gramps' position as the Gundam mechanic. Why didn't Asemu know DK (and by extension, Arisa) before he got on the Diva? Like, there was never a time when Flit or Emily took their kids over to meet their old friend and his daughter?

It's just one of those problems with the half-assed multi-generation concept.
>>
File: 1422028228610.jpg (120KB, 696x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1422028228610.jpg
120KB, 696x1040px
>>13793470
Fine by me. I only need the Fortress, and my collection is complete. You go ahead and enjoy your umpteen-millionth retooled RX-78 kit
>>
>>13793791
Flit's been too busy fighting a war to do any happy family playdates. I would assume the only reason Dique hasn't tried talking to him is because he knew it would shake Flit's resolve and give the vegans an edge.
>>
File: 1354948686336.gif (1MB, 600x354px) Image search: [Google]
1354948686336.gif
1MB, 600x354px
>>13788665
The best thing about AGE was the fan interpretation of the series, like pic related. Alone, it doesn't go deep enough concerning what people thought was most entertaining (Flit's Vegan genocide rise in 2nd age, Asemu entire space pirate career) while shining the brightest light on things that pissed everyone off (Kio from Vegan land onward)

The series start was shaky, Asemu arc and his nonnewtype problems showed huge promise with an end season fight that delivered, and Kio's initial setup looked like the show was going to have a grand final arc. And then they made him Kira 2.0 and shoved down his newfound idealism for the rest of the series. Age repeated the mistake of Destiny - that's probably what its going to look like for future fans
>>
Is AGE better than G reco?

I skipped AGE mostly because it looked to childish and wasn't a fan of the generations concept. Having watched most of G reco and not liking it aside from the great artstyle but weird writing, should I give AGE a chance?

It's either I watch that or Victory which I've yet to see. But I'm leaning more towards newer animation right now (And gundam IBO isn't fully satisfying me)
>>
>>13794239
>Asemu arc and his nonnewtype problems showed huge promise with an end season fight that delivered

I feel that this and his relationship with Zeheart would have made for better Coordinator/Natural and Kira/Athrun dynamics in SEED.
>>
>>13797000
Asemu should have just been the show
>>
>>13794463
>Is AGE better than G reco?
No you're just retarded
>>
File: 1451627913981.png (788KB, 1305x892px) Image search: [Google]
1451627913981.png
788KB, 1305x892px
>>13797059
Nice response greco kid
>>
>>13794463
I'd say so.
AGE was rushed due to cramming 50 years of war in to 50 episodes, but the plot is much more coherent. Its biggest flaw is that the show spends a lot of time showing Vagans as bloodthirsty monsters but when they go to show that there are normal sane people among the Vagans too, they really only show one little girl and her brother (who becomes bloodthirsty later). The show could have done with a longer period in Second Moon where a lot more normal people were shown and make it clear that the average person is not aware of the murderous nature of Ezelcant's plan. We can surmise that they don't know he's been arranging "incidents" on his own people, but they left it completely up in the air whether the average person knows that Ezelcant was having whole civilian colonies destroyed with no warning. We know they think he's a saint so they probably don't know how brutal the front-line Vagan soldiers are acting, but having a few people refuse to believe that Ezelcant would do such a thing would go a long way toward humanizing them as a whole. As-is it's fairly easy to believe that everyone in Vagan knew about the wholesale slaughter of civilians and was okay with it, which greatly undermines the intended moral high ground of Kio's behavior in the third arc.
>>
File: 1450185370264.jpg (23KB, 637x480px) Image search: [Google]
1450185370264.jpg
23KB, 637x480px
>>13797149
>but the plot is much more coherent.
>>
>>13797149
G-Reco makes sense if you actually pay attention to what's on screen, the more you follow AGE the less sense it actually makes.
>>
>>13797165
lol no
both are shit
hilarious to see in this thread the 2 worst fucking fanbases of gundam shit arguing over which one is "better"
>>
>>13794463
Since you were too stupid to follow G-Reco AGE is right up your alley also why don't you watch Aldnoah Zero as well since they essentially have the same plot
>>
>>13788810
further cementing the fact why tripfags should be banned on sight.
>>
File: 1453527184966.jpg (5KB, 234x230px) Image search: [Google]
1453527184966.jpg
5KB, 234x230px
>>13797173
>>
>>13797173
>AGE
>fanbase
Found the retard
>>
>>13797181
here's your (You) faggot
>>13797187
>m-muh show is not shit!
stay salty
>>
AGE is one of those shows that will forever be remembered with a resounding "meh"
>>
File: samefag.jpg (46KB, 717x430px) Image search: [Google]
samefag.jpg
46KB, 717x430px
>>13797059
>>13797155
>>13797176
Why do greco posters take everything so personally?
>>
File: 1437082267350.gif (499KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
1437082267350.gif
499KB, 500x258px
>>13797189
>>13797205
>s-s-s-s-samfag
Why didn't you G-Reco detractors finished highschool?
>>
>>13797187
AGE had pretty good model kits.
>>
File: 1381301563691.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1381301563691.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>13797221
Dont you have a show to defend on MAL or something. It's cool to a like a show not many other people like.

But coming back with the usual response to "I didn't like greco" with "you didn't understand it" is pretty pathetic.
>>
File: 1453455276562.jpg (20KB, 514x480px) Image search: [Google]
1453455276562.jpg
20KB, 514x480px
>>13797243
Not really especially when its true. People will be more vocal about hating something if they don't understand it. You should remember it.
>>
File: 1322436788597.gif (316KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1322436788597.gif
316KB, 480x270px
>>13797149
>AGE was rushed
I have heard a lot of dumb shit, but this is the dumbest of shit.
>>
>>13797176
Most people don't want to fill in the plot holes that writers refuse to fill.
>>
File: plotholes.jpg (82KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
plotholes.jpg
82KB, 400x300px
>>13797275
>>
File: haveafantasticperiod.png (467KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
haveafantasticperiod.png
467KB, 640x360px
>>13797659
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.