[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does Gundam need to do to make a new Series/Timeline fresh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: OtseFGE.jpg (119KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
OtseFGE.jpg
119KB, 500x700px
What does Gundam need to do to make a new Series/Timeline fresh and appealing, what was the last time we had a fresh feeling series?

waifu pic unrelated
>>
File: kek.jpg (36KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
36KB, 400x460px
>that Ramba Rewd fig

I love humans.
>>
Wait a few years before making a new show?
Seems like they've been making a new series back to back for a while now.
>>
>>13755947
Name the series after a lead MS.
>>
But IBO is fresh
the problem is that it's also not good
>>
>>13755947
They could always get weird with it like G Gundam did. But that didn't go over super well at the time even though most remember it kinda fondly. Of course if they went too weird with it, then why even call it Gundam? I mean outside of an established fan base, of course. If you change too much, people are gonna call betrayal. You're best bet is to honestly wait a few years, just enough that people cool down/move on, then return with more of the same, that way you don't upset the fanbase and you manage to make it feel fresh.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (21KB, 400x337px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
21KB, 400x337px
>>13755947
No more gundam.
>>
>>13756015
>Wait a few years before making a new show?
>Seems like they've been making a new series back to back for a while now.
I would assume it's to recoup costs and also pump out gunpla. None of the previous shows for a while have been particularly successful in the open market of both anime sales and just plain fan goods in the veins of Wing/Seed. Build Fighters comes close, but doesn't have quite the staying power (as well, it's plain and proper milked now after three seasons).
>>
>>13756042
>You're best bet is to honestly wait a few years, just enough that people cool down/move on, then return with more of the same, that way you don't upset the fanbase and you manage to make it feel fresh.
Yeah, making a big fuss with a fairly quality new series, milking it slowly over a couple of years, dying off for a bit, then opening up again a la Macross seems like a winning idea.
Also, having a more manageable cast size like Macross would be good. Very few Gundam series can really quite explore their characters properly, even with 2 cours (if they're trying at all).
>>
>>13756015
I think this is a legit grievance. Franchise fatigue is a real thing.
>>
>>13757372
I'd like to see GBF make a return, but that show needs a rest. Much of its driving content draws from over 30 years of a franchise and it feels like they've squeezed much all the water from that stone already.
>>
File: 1452801565609.jpg (206KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1452801565609.jpg
206KB, 480x480px
They should make a show about hardened mercenaries. The kind of guys who'd put their lives on the line just for money and their reputation, with no regard for politics or ideals. Also tone down the supertech and psychic powers a little. Cut out the fannels, nanomachines, and beam spam, maybe even cut back to solid slug guns and non-beam meelee weapons. That would be pretty tight. Just a gutsy merc outfit without a huge army supplying them, having to salvage enemy mechs to use and cut deals with criminal organizations to survive.
Too bad we'll never have a show like that, all we ever get is UC rehashes.
>>
File: Rambo Ral colored.png (771KB, 1000x650px) Image search: [Google]
Rambo Ral colored.png
771KB, 1000x650px
>>13755994
>>13755947

Why is Ral so awesome?
>>
>>13757441
The Gundam Breaker series of games is a nice spiritual successor, albeit I'd rather have a better plot than "you are some gunpla otaku who plays virtual reality games."

I mean, at least don't insult our intelligence and say we're at least "gunpla otaku who build gunpla for Build Fighter tournaments." It makes it more personal than just playing an arcade game within a video game.
>>
>>13755947
Make new Gundam full of politics and economics.
Make Gundam an army prototype, which needs refuelling and rearming
Introduce it later in the series
Main hero should be a factory worker
>>
>>13757447
>They should make a show about hardened mercenaries.
Wing was almost about that, what with every pilot except Quatre having fighting experience (and murder). It seemed to start off that way, what with child soldiers sent to kill lots of people on Earth as sleeper cells.

Then it sort of lost track of that for endlessly meandering angst, Star Wars politics, and everybody in the cast not really understanding what Trieze/The Boss really meant for humanity ever.
>>
File: 1443541667938.jpg (95KB, 703x974px) Image search: [Google]
1443541667938.jpg
95KB, 703x974px
Remove any form of newtypes, then replace the theme of human evolution and national independence with something else e.g. Classism and censorship
Change the general formula to begin with a more vague enemy. Instead of Gundam is used for fights nothing else, make it about the pilot solo trying to solve societal problems on a smaller scale, if anything make it a resurgence of the hero type mech and make it ask questions about if authority really is best to deal with these issues. Have the main mech slowly become a recognized outlaw by the big brother government
As the story goes on, more people are persuaded by the protagonists cause, where as others grow stronger negative feelings against it
00 was going somewhere in the right direction this way, but the same old tired cliches had to come crawling out the woodwork and forced in, as well as a host of the cringiest characters i've ever seen
Why does the Gundam have to be that size still? Can we go to the power suit Gundam like originally planned? DIfferent size = different types of battles than can occur for a fresh feeling.
Problem being is that japs love to complain that something is different, yet actually don't support things that don't change because they are not interesting cause they're the same
>>
>>13757495
Or you could just watch a different anime.
>>
>>13755947
Make a show where mobile suits are actually suits of armor and not giant robots.
>>
Kill the main character and a sizable portion of the cast. Part of the reason these shows get so boring is because you know mika can't die, setsuna can't die, flit/asemu/kio can't die, banana can't die, bellri can't die, etc. It's hard to take any of these wars seriously when they're never actually in life threatening situations because the author won't take the literary steps necessary to kill a major character.
>>
>>13757659
>Randomly killing characters automagically makes a plot more interesting!
Found the underage.
>>
>>13757672

Nice memetext. Killing characters doesn't mean their deaths are random. It can be both symbolic and shocking. Zeta and Victory did this pretty well.
>>
>>13757688
Zeta is predictable shit and only teenagers would think it's good in any way.
>>
>>13757696

Predictable deaths are the exact opposite of random. At least try to keep your shitposts consistent.
>>
>>13757659
Show starts normally, first arc establishes the world, the freedom fighters, the oppressive government, and the mission. Except at the "we're really gonna hit 'em HARD this time" mission everything goes south, the base is reinforced by elite mercs, the MC is killed and the Gundam is captured. Then you have an arc following the mercs that the evil government hired to take out the freedom fighters. They do a few jobs, they start pushing for their own personal agenda, and one time the Gundam is fairly badly damaged and needs to be repaired, the military execs the mercs were working for gas the waiting room where the mercs were waiting for the Gundam to be repaired. Gundam is given to the enemy ace from the first arc. Plot now revolves around instability in teh Fed government that was downplayed and/or lauded by the rebels in the first two arcs. Enemy Ace is now protecting hospitals, transport routes, and politicians trying to negotiate peaceful settlements. Senator that enemy Ace is taking orders from turns out to be shady and is funding rebels and directing them on suicide missions to fuel his image as protector of the people. Enemy Ace takes things into his own hands. Last cour has Enemy Ace's former subordinates deciding that he's lost his shit and plotting to take him out. With no boss-fight MS that could stand up to him in the Gundam, they rush it with industrial worker MS while a SWAT unit plants bombs on it. Two or three guys sacrifice themselves by continuing to fight the Gundam while the timer runs down so that Enemy Ace won't notice what's up.
BOOM.
the end.
>>
>>13756041
disagree
>>
>>13757780
I'll have to disagree with you and agree with him.
>>
>>13757495

>implying national independence as a theme is old and busted

Psychic powers was some real topical cultural zeitgeist shit people actually unironically believed in during the 70s, and while some people still like seeing it in sci-fi, I agree that for now it's played out.

But as much as the far left tries to assert that we're living in the "end of history" and that nations are over, that shit is as relevant as ever, and we'll be seeing it again soon enough as the EU fragments.

Classim and censorship only works as a theme in a war setting if you're willing to approach it like LOGH, not in a series entirely about front line motherfuckers getting stuck in and blasting shit with lazors.
>>
>>13757701
The point is that neither of them magically make your story good.
>>
>>13757815
I don't know, I'm pretty sure that Belliri dying early on would have drastically improved Reco.
>>
File: destroy all vermin.png (492KB, 602x566px) Image search: [Google]
destroy all vermin.png
492KB, 602x566px
>>13756041
>But IBO is fresh
It also has vermin not being exterminated.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.