[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /m/'s opinion on Ken Ishikawa? You rarely talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: kenishikawahenshinninjaarashi.jpg (252KB, 871x1280px) Image search: [Google]
kenishikawahenshinninjaarashi.jpg
252KB, 871x1280px
What's /m/'s opinion on Ken Ishikawa? You rarely talk about him outside of Getter Robo.

Kyomu Senki, Majuu Sensen, Eurasia 1274, Fatal Fury, Freeder Bug, Ultraman Taro, Samurai of the Meiji restoration, Makai Tensho, Yakuza Weapon, Shin Henshin Ninja Arashi (With Ishinomori) etc...

This man did a lot of cool shit when he was still alive.
>>
>>13723710
How many of those are scanlated and also have robots in?
>>
>>13723710
What do you expect, the Mecha board is mostly going to talk about the stuff he made that was, you know, Mecha.
We could get away with talking about Taro and Majuu Sensen as well, but most people here haven't read them (I only just downloaded Majuu Sensen tonight).
>>
I'll be honest: I'm not a fan of his art.
His early work just screamed Go Nagai ripoff, which was pretty justified but still made everything look incredibly deritative. And even after developing his own style eventually, when he's drawing giant monstrous things he's pretty great, but his humans are terrible.
>>
well since most of those aren't scanned or translated
>>
>>13723766
What about the ones that are scanlated?

>>13723732
Your loss.
>>
>>13723713
Kyomu Senki has mecha but the scanlations take ages because dynamic pro scanlations guy is gone off to work on something else to clear his mind. he also already has shin mazinger zero on his plate, so yeah...
>>
>>13723732
>His early work just screamed Go Nagai ripoff
why you gotta be so ignorant anon
>>
>>13723807

Stop being delusional and just accept he's a total Nagai rip-off. You can barely tell when it's Ishikawa doing work for Nagai as an assistant.
>>
>>13723710

Ishikawa did Henshin Ninja Arashi Gaiden. Shin is still Ishinomori.
>>
>>13723812
>You can barely tell when it's Ishikawa doing work for Nagai as an assistant.
Uh... isn't that what an assistant is supposed to do?
So the style isn't jarring when they take over for portions of their mentor's manga?
>>
>>13723806
>shin mazinger zero
Understandable, since redrawing the dialogue on that one demands tremendous effort. At least the series ended recently.

>>13723717
Incidentally, HS did another Majuu Sensen update recently.
>>
>>13723826
Ignore him. He clearly won't listen to common sense and he's just interested in pushing his ill informed opinion forward.
>>
File: janki2025-082.jpg (577KB, 1435x2147px) Image search: [Google]
janki2025-082.jpg
577KB, 1435x2147px
>>13723710
His works are pretty fucking fierce. He's done a huge variety of manga and it's always possible to read something novel in a manga of his.
>>13723806
Kyomu Senki doesn't really have mecha per se apart from Skull Killer Jakioh, just a few robot baddies here and there. It's not really correct to call it an actual manga series, it's more a bunch of loosely connected manga with motifs of Buddhism and invasive demons. There's everything in there, from proto-Evangelion to Futaro Yamada to space western.
>>
ken ishikawa is one of the best nip artist I know of.
>>
this is a good getta thread
>>
really liked the samurai restoration and eurasia.
>>
>>13723710
Incompetent hack just as bad as Nagai, which isn't surprising given their camaraderie.
>>13723732
Ishikawa might be shit as a whole, but his humans aren't bad. Usually drawn in a highly exaggerated style, yes, but not bad. I have to give him at least that much.
>>
>>13723710
Regrettably, the only work of his I've read is Getter.
I love the art, especially in Go.

I read like 2 chapters of Kymu Genki a few years ago and enjoyed it. Skull Killer Jakioh also interests me
>>
I love his art and his monster design in Devilman and Mazinger is some of the best I've seen.
Modern shitters could learn a thing or two from tank threaded dinosaurs with laser eyes.
>>
>>13725719
>a few years ago
Kyomu Senki's scanlation started in 2015, buddy. There aren't any raws either apart from Miroku which has had raws since 2014 and the non-expanded edition of 5000 Kounen no Tora which has nothing to do with any of the rest of Kyomu Senki. Although it has been floating around on /rs/ and PD since like 2010.
>>
>>13725646
Do you use some word generator or something? Why does everything you say sound like something you said 10 threads ago?
>>
File: ken-ishikawa-godzilla.jpg (79KB, 538x470px) Image search: [Google]
ken-ishikawa-godzilla.jpg
79KB, 538x470px
Oh, yeah, I've been meaning to ask: Is this manga a crossover with one of Ishikawa's other works, or was this Yamada dude created for his Godzilla story?
>>
>>13727211
ゴジラ 対 山田課長 is about a salary man getting fed up with Godzilla rampaging in his home town and deciding to do something about it himself. And no, he wasn't a character from another manga.
>>
>>13727233
Oh, and for some reason, ゴジラ対山田係長 is listed as ゴジラ対山田課長 on the amazon page. Probably an error.
>>
>>13726709
Because it's bait. A worms a worm.
>>
>>13723710

He's mediocre
>>
>>13727211
>>13727233
oh wow
>>
>>13723710
I like his art but I haven't read anything except Getter Robo. Monitoring updates.
>>
Freeder Bug is it's own thing and isn't part of Kyomu Senki, right? That's the one I'm most interested in.
>>
>>13728798
Yes, it's its own thing. I've most commonly heard people call it something more similar to an alternate Getter, but I don't know how true that is or not
>>
File: kyomu senki.jpg (84KB, 480x707px) Image search: [Google]
kyomu senki.jpg
84KB, 480x707px
>>13728798
It's WW3 in China with terraforming mechs and a kinda-Reiclone. It is kinda like Getter Go yeah.
I'll just summarize every part of Kyomu Senki to clarify what it actually is:

Kyomu Senshi Miroku: Starts out as ninjas with superpowers duking it out, turns into a manga about a Buddhist anti-demon crusader who learns of the true nature of his ancestors.

5000 Kounen no Tora: Has a stock 70s/80s DP sideburns and eyebrows MC who is a cyborg psychopath bent on avenging his killed family and destroyed home planet.

Bakuretsu Jakioh: A bit like HnK or Violence Jack, set in the ruined Kanto Plain after civilization collapses and outlaws and Buddhist demon monstrosities take over. MC is a monk who wears twintails which is :lol:

Skull Killer Jakioh: People used to shitpost about Evangelion ripping this off endlessly. MC is a gutsy teenager kid who looks more or less identically to Go. His dog dies protecting him from thugs hired by the resurgent underwater Mu Empire, and his scientist dad builds him a horrifying cyborg monstrosity from his corpse for him to pilot against the Mu baddies.

Now, for the short stories and stuff that doesn't really fit elsewhere:

New Rashoumon: Translated. Ishikawa's take on the classic Rashoumon story, only with Buddhist demons thrown in.

Ninja Arts at Honnou Temple: Translated. A bit of political background for the events of Miroku, mostly.

Kyomu Senki proper: The space warfare bits of the series and what ties it together in terms of establishing connections between the characters and settings.

Jigen Seibutsuki Dogura: Horror manga. A bunch of elementary schoolers stay at a Buddhist temple for a school trip. Unfortunately, they end up getting infected by demons and turning into Lovecraftian horrors. Probably traumatized a lot of Japanese kids, ran as a special issue in a shonen magazine.

Dogura Senki: Actually, no fucking clue. My best guess is a paranormal investigations manga in the vein of Ishikawa's thriller manga.
>>
>>13728930
>>13728798
So much shit that needs to be translated.
>>
>>13728973
On the bright side, Happy Scans is steadily getting closer to the end of Majuu Sensen.
>>
>>13728378
In what way is he mediocre?
>>
File: 95685493_o1.jpg (181KB, 750x980px) Image search: [Google]
95685493_o1.jpg
181KB, 750x980px
>dead author
>no getter anime in over a decade

rip
>>
>>13725863
My memory is probably way off, then. whoops
>>
File: tumblr_mpo7tonfri1rbb70wo1_1280.jpg (139KB, 568x836px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpo7tonfri1rbb70wo1_1280.jpg
139KB, 568x836px
He made best Megaman
>>
>>13733002
Hate to break it to you, but it's actually a fan that imitated/traced some of his work.
>>
File: 1386633685616.jpg (318KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1386633685616.jpg
318KB, 900x600px
>>13732256
>>
File: gokudo1.jpg (41KB, 270x400px) Image search: [Google]
gokudo1.jpg
41KB, 270x400px
>>13733002
Traced from Gokudou Heiki (Yakuza Weapon)
>>
>>13732256
Man, I wonder why they won't make any more Getter related stuff aside from spinoff manga.

Maybe it's because DP is short on money? Kotetsushin Jeeg had some alright animation but it had a lot of shitty CG thrown in as well. Guess they don't want to make anything but OG Mazinger shit since it's a guaranteed sell. rip Kaiser, you were always the true Mazinger in my heart
>>
>>13734932
Not just Gokudo Heiki. It also contains scenes from Getter Robo Go.
>>
>>13734966
That's likely enough. Ever since they broke off from Toei over Gaiking, it's become increasingly obvious that they can't make animated projects for the long term, since the appeal is limited to older fans. Heck, Kawagoe is pretty much the only director that works with them now.
>>
>>13734966
Manga is better than anime anyway, so it's no big loss
>>
>>13735024
>Ever since they broke off from Toei
Except that DP got back with Toei for Getter Robo Go and Cutie Honey F.

And now we have robot girls z from Toei.
>>
Cyborg 009 vs Devilman was also published by Toei Video.
>>
>>13731870

By never having done anything truly great or completely awful like Nagai.
>>
Anti bump
>>
>>13735921
how do you know? Did you read any of his works?
>>
>>13735921
>Nagai
>making anything great
Devilman is okay at its best parts and subpar for most of it. All the cancer he introduced to the anime and manga industries bring him down to gutter trash level too. They are both the same level of crap, numbnuts.
>>
>>13737001
nobody respond to this, we have a good thread going, lets not fuck it up by feeding the dirt.
>>
>>13737654
Agreed.

I can't be bothered with the spic anymore. He used to be funny, but now he just recycles his sentences to the point of being completely obnoxious and oblivious to the environment he's in.
>>
>>13737671

Because he's not the spic we used to know... It's a new guy following on his footsteps.
>>
>>13723710
>Fatal Fury

Holy shit.

Why didn't any of you faggots tell me this existed before now?
>>
Ok wait I thought there was literally NOTHING translated aside from Getter.
I want more Ishikawa and I want it now, what are my options? What other manga have been translated?
>>
>>13740352
makai tensho, eurasia 1274, samurai of the meiji restoration etc

check HappyScans from time to time. they're currently working on majuu sensen.
>>
>>13740352
super robot retsuden
mazinger relic of terror
one of grendizer's chapter was by ken ishikawa too (although it's collected under nagai's edition)
>>
>>13740352
Fatal Fury
Makai Tensei
A bit over half of Majuu Sensen
Samurai of the Meiji Restoration, although story is by another author
The first five chapters of Kyomu Senki
Eurasia 1274
Amon Saga
Super Robot Retsuden

Of these, only Amon Saga, Eurasia, Makai Tensei and SRR are fully translated. Makai Tensei is probably the best and the longest of these.
>>
>>13740443
>one of grendizer's chapter was by ken ishikawa too (although it's collected under nagai's edition)

No one would be able to tell the difference anyway.
>>
>>13740568
wasn't Makai Tensho also a novel adaptation?
>>
>>13742184
It and Amon Saga in a very liberal sense were. The original novel had the same very basic plot and characters but many characters and important plot details (eg the whole Lucifer deal) aren't present in it.
>>
>>13742023
Except people who actually have a brain.
>>
>>13744517

But these people would not be reading DP manga in the first place. See the contradiction?
>>
>>13746312
>See the contradiction?
You're a spic, and he's not?
>>
Majuu Sensen chapter 19 got released by HappyScans two days ago.
>>
>>13752252
What exactly happened to Kyomu Senki?
>>
>>13752341
Kyomu Senki is Dynamic Pro Scanlations.

Majuu Sensen is Happy Scans.
>>
>>13752378
Don't they have Wright do QC for it and some minor editing? At the very least HS updates its blog with its chapters.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.